2020 Spitfire V3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2020 Spitfire V3

A separate thread for the V3 Spitty. Who has one? Share your experiences please!

2020 Spitfire V3-spitfiresidegreen_1024x1024.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Also interested in new V3 and how it rides compared to V2. I'm wondering how the V3 can be setup as a mullet, would it be with a 140mm 29er fork?

mtbr member
    So no one on MTBR has a Spitfire V3 to comment on?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Moss
    Dec 2005
    I am having one being built now by Dirt Merchants and hopefully it should be here soon. I will post after a few rides from the wet and muddy Pacific Northwest.
    Jester

mtbr member
    Nice. I've got a V2...V3 curious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    From the V3 thread, going mullet on Spitfire with 140 fork, 29 front wheel, and low setting roughly slackens the head tube angle (and corresponding seat angle) about 1.5 degrees.

mtbr member
    I'm not a fan of the Mullet. They just don't feel balanced to me. I'll go 100% 27 or 29...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I am working with my bike shop and Banshee to bring in a large green Spitfire V3. I'll be putting a deposit down tomorrow to get the ball rolling. I'll be happy to share any info once it comes in.

Braaap
    2020 Spitfire V3-p5pb18208616.jpg
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb18208616.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	398.5 KB 
ID:	1307321
    That is a good looking bike. British racing green? Hard colour to pull off but I think you have!

mtbr member

Name:	p5pb18208616.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	398.5 KB 
ID:	1307321
    Donít do this to me.

...as Iím looking at my V2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Oh boy, that looks fantastic.
    Mine should be arriving next week!
    Itís too bad it will be almost 2 months before enough snow melts around here to actually ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Frame arrived a few days ago. Itís mostly built up, still need a few small parts to finish it off. This is my first Banshee and now that I have seen it in person I am really impressed with the quality and attention to detail. When I ordered it I had thought the grey graphics on the frame were just decals on top of the paint. They are actually areas where the green paint was omitted and the raw aluminum shows through, it looks really sharp. Iíve only been able to sit on it at this point but I think the size large will be perfect (Iím 184cm).

flailer
    Sep 2012
    wrong thread.
    Last edited by rock-rod; 02-05-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune (sold)
    '91 Spec Allez Epic Carbon (wall art)

Gloworm Lights
    Spitfire in British Racing Green. Built up as a demo bike for CWX in Rotorua, NZ.

Seen here in a SLX 'zero carbon' build. All up she tips the scales at 13.4kg or 30lb. Not bad for a trail shredder with no carbon or silly light parts (except tires with EXO housings)

Renthal Cockpit / Bike Yoke Divine Seat Post / Marzocchi Z1 Fork / Industry Nine 1/1 Enduro S Wheels / Shimano SLX Drivetrain and Brakes

2020 Spitfire V3-20200218_145130.jpg2020 Spitfire V3-20200218_145545.jpg
    2020 Spitfire V3-20200218_145314.jpg2020 Spitfire V3-20200218_145243.jpg2020 Spitfire V3-20200218_145254.jpg2020 Spitfire V3-20200218_145330.jpg
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Nice!

mtbr member

My Spitfire V3 video!

Enjoy, fellas!

((((((((( FAKAWI )))))))))))

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice video, beautiful bike, and thanks for sharing!

I assume you're running a small frame, what dropper post do you run? How do you like the spittyv3?

mtbr member
    Thanks betorac!
    This is actually a Large, my wide angle lens made it look small.
    here's my setup:

- full shimano SLX 12spd gruppo. 180mm rotors front and back
    - pike ultimate 29er 140mm up front
    - VeeTires SNAP 2.6 29er up front and 27.5 rear
    - race face cockpit
    - Charge saddle
    - OneUp dropper post
    - RHC Components Carbon wheels. SLX hubs
    - OURY grips
    -OneUp composite pedals

this spitty rocks. climbs amazingly well and super planted on the descents.
    Last edited by Fakawi; 03-03-2020 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wow that is quite a setup, especially with the mullet. Does it feel balanced and not too slack? Keith mentioned going mullet would slacken angles 1.5 degrees.

Also, how tall are you and what drop is the OneUp? I'm asking since I'm trying to decide my size. I'm 5'8'' and usually run a medium but post insertion is shorter than my V2 frame.

mtbr member
    I am running a 140mm 29er fork as suggested by the Banshee Website so it doesn't feel too slack at all.
    Flip chip is on neutral setting so my longish crank arms don't bash on rocks.

I'm 5'11".
    The OneUp dropper is the V1 ..and it's 150mm if not mistaken..Very happy with it so far.

Bike Portrait HERE

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone toying with making a mullet bike with one?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So I have now had a few rides on the Spitfire V3 in varied terrain. In short, I am really happy with this new frame.
    I rode my last frame which was Rocky Mountain Altitude for 6 years so that is all I really have to compare this to. I never realized how flexible the rear end of my old bike was until I rode this. The rear end of this bike feels so nice and solid. My last bike had 150mm of travel and I wanted something with less travel and was more responsive, so far the Spitfire feels like exactly what I was looking for. The chain stays are a bit longer so I am finding it a bit tougher to manual on this bike, but Iíll get it figured out.
    I have only been riding in the low setting so far. Iím definitely getting more pedal strikes than I used to. I have a feeling Iíll eventually settle on the higher setting, but I wanted to give the low setting a decent try first.
    I was surprised how much air pressure it took in the DPX2 to get the sag to the recommended 15mm. Iím 200lbs and I have 270psi in the shock. Maybe the gauge on my shock pump is off. I have been going back and forth between the middle and open setting on the shock, so far I have enjoyed the middle setting a bit more. I think I need to fine tune the open setting with the Allen key to get it where Iíd like it for general riding, itís fully open right now.
    I wasnít sure how this bike which is much longer and has a much slacker head angle would feel on steep climbs, but it climbs beautifully! There are a few steep technical climbs on the trail I rode today that I usually find difficult, but I made it up them with ease today. I think it is the steeper seat tube angle that is helping a lot. I have long legs so I felt way out over the back wheel when my seat was fully extended on my old bike. But the climbing position on this bike feels great. I think how well this bike climbs is my biggest surprise so far.
    There are a couple very minor issues. The paint on the chain stay right behind the chain ring has gotten pretty chipped already after only a few rides, Iím sure it will be mostly gone from that spot eventually. The cable guides that thread into the forward end of the top tube seem to be digging into my cable housing. Iíll have to wrap those sections of cable in tape or something I guess, no big deal.
    I bought this frame without demoing one, so I was a bit nervous. This is also my first Banshee. But so far I am really happy. Iím sure I will be fine tuning a lot of the settings for a while before I feel like it is just right, but I look forward to enjoying this bike for years to come.

Braaap
    You absolutely want to start dialing in the the LSC adjust! It will offer a much smoother ride compared to the middle setting.

The v3 frames ship with a small piece of clear protective tape in that exact spot. Too late at this point, but I recommend a quick flash with a heat gun to get the adhesive to stick.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You absolutely want to start dialing in the the LSC adjust! It will offer a much smoother ride compared to the middle setting.

The v3 frames ship with a small piece of clear protective tape in that exact spot. Too late at this point, but I recommend a quick flash with a heat gun to get the adhesive to stick.
    Thanks for the advice! I didnít see any adhesive tape in the box, but there was a bottle of green touch up paint. Maybe I can touch that spot up and get some kind of tape to put over it afterwards.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I did have a piece of tape there already installed, but thought it was just meant for not scuffing the paint when building it and I removed it with results similar to above

Might have to ziptie some inner tube there or something

Seconding the sag settings. My psi figures are looking very similar for getting that 14...15mm dialled in.

The bike itself is so good. It's the first full suspension bike I've owned so there is probably a lot of stuff I'm blind to currently but anyway I'm enjoying it very much. I built it as 27.5/29 with a 140mm Pike up front and it's one of the best full suspension bikes I've ever tried. Or maybe it's just the minus two grand on my credit card talking me into believing it was a good investment, who knows, but I feel like the geo is very well balanced for my local area and the type of riding I do (and wish to progress on). I'm a fan of some British shredders who are more focused on style and having fun than enduro straightlining, strava, racing in general etc.

The bike is definitely slack in terms of having wheel flop and needing a bit more strongly worded body english to rail berms than, say, your friend's one size too small 27.5 from few years back, but coming off a 29" hardtail with a slacker head angle and 10mm longer rear, the Spitfire unlike my hardtail doesn't feel like the lean angle required is forcing you to the edge of cornering grip of a dhr2/dhf setup. Moderately easy to flick around but not like riding a dirt jumper downhill.

I'm definitely going to try 27.5/27.5 at some point but I had most of the parts for a mullet build laying around already so I wanted to try the new fad out of curiosity (and maybe save some money at the same time)

Got my frame from Banshee Bikes Europe / bansheebikes.net and was very happy with their customer service. Highly recommended! Even DHL and the local post office managed to not mess up the delivery and I got the frame in exactly a week after ordering

2020 Spitfire V3-img_20200504_161950.jpg
    2020 Spitfire V3-img_20200504_161944.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anyone here on a Spitfire that also considered a Prime or better yet actually rode a v3 Spitty and Prime?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgethurt View Post
    I did have a piece of tape there already installed, but thought it was just meant for not scuffing the paint when building it and I removed it with results similar to above

Might have to ziptie some inner tube there or something

Seconding the sag settings. My psi figures are looking very similar for getting that 14...15mm dialled in.

The bike itself is so good. It's the first full suspension bike I've owned so there is probably a lot of stuff I'm blind to currently but anyway I'm enjoying it very much. I built it as 27.5/29 with a 140mm Pike up front and it's one of the best full suspension bikes I've ever tried. Or maybe it's just the minus two grand on my credit card talking me into believing it was a good investment, who knows, but I feel like the geo is very well balanced for my local area and the type of riding I do (and wish to progress on). I'm a fan of some British shredders who are more focused on style and having fun than enduro straightlining, strava, racing in general etc.

The bike is definitely slack in terms of having wheel flop and needing a bit more strongly worded body english to rail berms than, say, your friend's one size too small 27.5 from few years back, but coming off a 29" hardtail with a slacker head angle and 10mm longer rear, the Spitfire unlike my hardtail doesn't feel like the lean angle required is forcing you to the edge of cornering grip of a dhr2/dhf setup. Moderately easy to flick around but not like riding a dirt jumper downhill.

I'm definitely going to try 27.5/27.5 at some point but I had most of the parts for a mullet build laying around already so I wanted to try the new fad out of curiosity (and maybe save some money at the same time)

Got my frame from Banshee Bikes Europe / bansheebikes.net and was very happy with their customer service. Highly recommended! Even DHL and the local post office managed to not mess up the delivery and I got the frame in exactly a week after ordering

Name:	IMG_20200504_161950.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	519.4 KB 
ID:	1330725

Name:	IMG_20200504_161944.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	513.2 KB 
ID:	1330727
    I thought about a Mullet Spitfire with an Angleset to bring the HA back to a reasonable number.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Iím curious how you would use this on chainstays, is it for chain slap?

Just yesterday I applied 3M clear protective film to my chainstays. I was getting some heel rub and decided to cover them up before the paint got too damaged. I had never used it before but it was easy to apply and is pretty much invisible once itís on. Now that I see how well it works I plan on using it in a few other areas as well.
    Once I saw how chewed up that section of my chainstay right behind the chain ring was getting, I covered it in some black hockey tape to keep it from getting any worse (very Canadian of me). At some point Iíll remove the tape, touch it up with the green paint that came with the frame, and cover it with the 3M film.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyceman View Post
    Iím curious how you would use this on chainstays, is it for chain slap?

Just yesterday I applied 3M clear protective film to my chainstays. I was getting some heel rub and decided to cover them up before the paint got too damaged. I had never used it before but it was easy to apply and is pretty much invisible once itís on. Now that I see how well it works I plan on using it in a few other areas as well.
    Once I saw how chewed up that section of my chainstay right behind the chain ring was getting, I covered it in some black hockey tape to keep it from getting any worse (very Canadian of me). At some point Iíll remove the tape, touch it up with the green paint that came with the frame, and cover it with the 3M film.

Yes, it bonds to itself and makes a great chainstay wrap.
    Ripley LS v3