Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

2018+ Banshee Prime thread

Wanted to offer some dedicated Prime talk space. Starting off I can offer a bit more of a review of my recent 2018 Prime build.

Coming off of a 2016 Spitfire, 160mm fork, low setting.

On a 2018 Prime, 160mm fork, low setting. Frame size Large. I am 180cm. Full specs maybe later...

This is my first anodized Banshee. And OMG WHAT HAVE I BEEN MISSING. Amazing. Aces. Friends fondle this thing. It's beautiful. The new frame tubing also is quite pleasing to the eyes. Quality of this frame is just A+. I've had a 2015 and 2016 Banshee and lemme say, Keith, you stepped it up with the 2017 updates.

Climbing it's great. It really motors, I've set some good times (for me!) on big climbs in the area. Steep gravel roads I've climbed 40 times, I'm besting anything I did on my Spitfire. Technical climbs - equally as capable as the spit, but with better rollover. It really is great. I can feel the front wheel flop (let's be honest I have this thing set up slaaaaack) only on the steepest and tightest switchbacks. Considering trying the high drop out setting, or, more likely, dropping the fork to 150mm.

It wheelies just fine. Do not listen to the Pinkbike Pundits complaining about chainstay length. No guys. Front comes up easy and it's no harder to keep it going than on my Spitfire with 11mm shorter stays. (cornering discussed below).

Descending it's a weapon - but I need to figure out a few things. One thing for certain, it corners better than I expected it to. I mean it rails. It's got that Banshee DNA for sure. With the 170mm dropper (which fits with 20mm to spare on my Large frame and I am am 180cm), you can make this thing super maneuverable, le wowza. It goes straight fast. It jumps well - right now for jumping, my suspension setup is limiting factor, not the geometry. It's stable at speed.
    BUT
    here is my problem....in steep stuff, I am losing the front wheel with a modicum of regularity. Tap the front brake in loose steeps? Whoof. Wet root in a corner? Swoof. I measured HTA and am coming up with 65.5 degrees. That's pretty much exactly what my old Spitfire was. So what has changed? I am a rear-tire-rider for sure. Ride like a cowboy hanging off the back. But now that seems to be an issue. Do I need to push myself forward on the bike? A bit more in attack position? This is my first 29er.

Also and perhaps this is meaningless but on a flat trail, if you turn the bars too much, tapping the brake just totally sends you into a jackknife. This has me going down the fork offset rabbit hole and I am wondering if bringing the front wheel in a bit may help all of my symptoms. Oh gosh forgive me if I am opening Pandora's box. I'm just ignorant.

Anyways post up some Prime pics and builds. Last Prime thread was from I think 2013. Lots of changes since then and this bike is cemented into the lineup by now. Braaaaap!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The feelings you are getting under front braking are to an extent related to having a longer fork... while head angle might be the same, the 29er fork is longer and the wheel has bigger radius... these things do have an impact on how the bike has to be ridden to get most out of it.

Simple setup changes you could try in order of ease...
    -Try higher setting
    -Try rolling the bars forwards a bit
    -Try dropping stem if you have a spacer under it
    -Try a slightly longer stem if you have one (will help you weight front wheel)
    -Try reducing fork Travel.

Also check you have correct rear shock sag... if you are running too much it will have similar effect to weight distribution has a tall fork. You should be aiming for 15-15.5mm of shock sag (28-30% sag)

You can also actively try and change your riding stance to be more aggressive, attack the trail with weight leaning forwards more and elbows bent and out the way to get weight over front axle more.

There is an element of getting used to a new bike, some people can jump on any bike and be shredding within minutes, personally I'm quite specific with setup on my personal bikes and if I change it, it takes me a good few rides to fully get used to it and adjust.

Have fun working it out!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    OP you answered your own question:

- rear wheel rider = front wheel washouts

You can't generate traction on the front wheel without some weight on it.

Same goes for your turning issue.

Yes a lower offset fork will help, but only a bit. You need to ride the bike with your weight more centered between the wheels.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Keith and Vic. I played with rear shock sag, increased it a bit and that def helped...a lot! Will try the high setting and rolling the bars a bit. Thx!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I agree about how great this bike is. I've a similar set up on my 2018 build, (Lyrik @ 160mm) and found that the bike came alive when put in the low drop out positoning. High made it a touch tippy toed.

Low actually made the CS a little longer and as mine is XL I actually prefer it. I'm running the compact drop outs but have the longer ones as spares just in case I want it even longer.

There's very little wheel flop for me, I've experienced that before on other bikes but I don't feel it on the trail. I definitely ride with a certain weight balance to make the front behave. I've only had a couple of moments in (rough) corners where the front has felt like the rebound is too slow so it wouldn't track the ground. Attacking the trail with more front weight emphasis fixed it.

I'm now running a 140mm fork as an experiment and the steering / handling is definitely better overall, just less plush. Fox 34 Factory with Fast Cartridge damper isn't quite as nice as my Lyrik. For me and where I ride the 150mm setting would probably be ideal.

The pedalling is outstanding, especially with a 32t front. It's solid yet nimble.

Props to Keith and team for making such a fantastic and versatile bike!

Keen to hear how you get on with your tweaking!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JonJones View Post
    I agree about how great this bike is. I've a similar set up on my 2018 build, (Lyrik @ 160mm) and found that the bike came alive when put in the low drop out positoning. High made it a touch tippy toed.

Low actually made the CS a little longer and as mine is XL I actually prefer it. I'm running the compact drop outs but have the longer ones as spares just in case I want it even longer.

There's very little wheel flop for me, I've experienced that before on other bikes but I don't feel it on the trail. I definitely ride with a certain weight balance to make the front behave. I've only had a couple of moments in (rough) corners where the front has felt like the rebound is too slow so it wouldn't track the ground. Attacking the trail with more front weight emphasis fixed it.

I'm now running a 140mm fork as an experiment and the steering / handling is definitely better overall, just less plush. Fox 34 Factory with Fast Cartridge damper isn't quite as nice as my Lyrik. For me and where I ride the 150mm setting would probably be ideal.

The pedalling is outstanding, especially with a 32t front. It's solid yet nimble.

Props to Keith and team for making such a fantastic and versatile bike!

Keen to hear how you get on with your tweaking!
    Agreed the pedaling is great. I really like the KS bikes, on them now for 3 years. Pedal strong.

Interesting about the 140mm fork and handling. I have the spacer for my Fox 36 to drop it 10mm to 150mm travel and am inclined to try it, but will maybe look at some of the less intrusive options first - oh and riding the bike more!

Haven't forgotten about our correspondence RE:Fox settings. Again, I'll post mine up when I have a good thing going. Feeling really good about my rear shock. Riding trip this weekend so hoping to tune it all in a bit more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hope you have a wicked trip! On the other build thread someone recommended 150mm or 140mm as the sweet spot and I'm inclined to agree with them. 160mm is pretty damned good but I feel the benefit in direction changes and just trail sensation.

No worries on the settings, let me know how you go. And now I've out the fork at 140 I've got to dial back some compression or air pressure. It's a nice problem to have....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    @lithified, I've played about with my X2 some more and landed on compression settings and air pressure which are just magical.

16 clicks HSC from firm
    8 clicks LSC from firm.

Rebound on both circuits are the same as I'd mentioned before, and the air pressure is niw at 220 PSI.

It pedals with a 160mm Lyrik like nothing I've ever ridden, it just glides over everything.
    No bottoming out on big hits and so supportive yet plush. No pedal bobbing at all and I don't need the climb switch.
    I could probably go down a click or two on HSC as I'm about 5mm from the end of the shaft after hits that should go full travel.

It makes me question why I need my Remedy and is just better everywhere and I love that bike.

If you're about 95kgs give it a try. I'm just stunned by how well it rides and am truly smitten. If it was stellar before, it's sensational now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Friday night Pisgah shuttle sesh with the boys . Getting more used to the Prime, but still learning how to huck with wagon wheels - hence end of video cackling when rear wheel hit me in the hind parts, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mlt...ature=youtu.be

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting thread.
    I just switched from a 2013 Spitfire with older 160 Fox36, drop outs in high setting, to a 2017 Prime with MRP Ribbon 150. Both XL frames, I'm 6'2". Running the Prime with Long drop outs in high. It is one Looooong bike, but I like that. Good for climbing and higher speed stability, which comes in handy in the high mountains here in Colorado.
    Only had a couple of rides on it so far, still need to fine tune the Ribbon (lots of adjustment options), disappointed that the Monarch doesn't have a proper compression dial (just the 3 position switch).
    Anyway, it's stable, it rolls over most everything and it climbs decent. So far I'm happy with the change, will lower the bar a bit to gain front end pressure as per discussion, although I'm not experiencing the problems described by OP, I'm pretty comfy already.

2018+ Banshee Prime thread-jul7-banshee-prime1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
    Anyway, it's stable, it rolls over most everything and it climbs decent. So far I'm happy with the change, will lower the bar a bit to gain front end pressure as per discussion, although I'm not experiencing the problems described by OP, I'm pretty comfy already.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jul7-banshee-prime1.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	1207475
    Looks great dude! Nice!

As a quick update I went to a 50mm stem and that really helped! I think I will still drop to a 150 fork during rebuild this winter. Bike shreds.

mtbr member
    Got my eye on an Orange, Race build Prime...

Need stars to align on queue, before I start looking for the credit card though.

Really keen on a mid-long travel 29er.

Guessing you guys have been riding yours a while now.

Any drawbacks? Anything you've had to change? Buyers remorse? ;-)

Talk me into/out of getting a Prime.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ^^ haha. Love it. I've been on mine for 2.5 months now and it just rips. Took me a bit to sort out my fit on the bike, but that wasn't the bikes fault! It's super petty but the only thing I'd change about this frame if I could would be a dang water bottle in the triangle. Otherwise I love everything about it.

Have done a 56 mile endurance event all the way to shuttle sessions with this rig. Hasn't missed a beat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    ^^ haha. Love it. I've been on mine for 2.5 months now and it just rips. Took me a bit to sort out my fit on the bike, but that wasn't the bikes fault! It's super petty but the only thing I'd change about this frame if I could would be a dang water bottle in the triangle. Otherwise I love everything about it.

Have done a 56 mile endurance event all the way to shuttle sessions with this rig. Hasn't missed a beat.

Unicorn?? ;-)

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The water bottle inside the frame is the ONLY issue. I get around it with what you'd call a fanny pack. :^)

Geo spot on for purpose and it looks stunning. Mine is Raw tint & Red.

Any preconceived notions of weight being a challenge are long forgotten when you ride it.

I've a Remedy 9.8 with carbon wheels which whilst much lighter can't hold a candle to it on any trail. Descending is just amazing. I've been riding it for about 3 months and am just astounded by how well it rides.

The adjustable nature of it with the drop outs makes a real difference. The climbing is excellent and mine has 160mm forks and is set in low. Should be terrible but it's the opposite.

To be blunt, I wish I'd bought one earlier. I was on a Fuel EX 9.9 with carbon everything that I loved. When I killed it (just too frail) I spent ages poring over geometry details on frames and things like threaded bottom bracket and ISCG05 fittings and nothing else does the job.

If I'd never killed the Fuel I'd not have this Prime which frankly is better in every single way.

100% would buy again and am tempted by a Phantom and Rune now..

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just dropped my prime to low setting and it actually climbs better for me and handles even better on the decents. Running a 160mm fork and 40mm stem in an XL and the fit is spot on. Its a great bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The water bottle inside the frame is the ONLY issue. I get around it with what you'd call a fanny pack........100% would buy again and am tempted by a Phantom and Rune now..
    Ya, but it gets tough when you get into the long rides. I have started carrying a water bottle (in my fanny pack) that has a built in filter. I live and ride in the SE USA where we have a ton of water, so I can always dip it and fill up.

Been really itching for an XC bike for some of my longer riding pursuits....a Phantom at 120/140 with a water bottle cage....just dreaming....I'll see myself out....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by benmcgill View Post
    Just dropped my prime to low setting and it actually climbs better for me and handles even better on the decents. Running a 160mm fork and 40mm stem in an XL and the fit is spot on. Its a great bike!
    That's just how I have mine. I'm tempted to drop the fork to 150mm just to see what it's like but I'm splitting hairs really. And the bike definitely feels more planted and handles better in the low setting. I like that it extends the wheelbase too. At my size I don't want super short chain stays.
    It's a keeper. :^)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    a Phantom at 120/140 with a water bottle cage....just dreaming....I'll see myself out....
    You're not alone. I've got the 140mm fork, wheels, and other elements in the garage just waiting for that to drop.

Patience... I must learn patience....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You're not alone. I've got the 140mm fork, wheels, and other elements in the garage just waiting for that to drop.

Patience... I must learn patience....
    These other guys in the forum long shocking their Phantoms has me wondering....

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That's just how I have mine. I'm tempted to drop the fork to 150mm just to see what it's like but I'm splitting hairs really. And the bike definitely feels more planted and handles better in the low setting. I like that it extends the wheelbase too. At my size I don't want super short chain stays.
    It's a keeper. :^)
    I went from 140mm to 160mm on the fork and had seriously contemplated going to 150mm after that but with the bike now in the low setting it works!

mtbr member
    Nice. Im looking for a new rig currently with Prime on my short list.
    What offset forks are people running?
    Asking with regard to this short is good thing fas per transition sentinel/ Ibis Ripmo combined with a slacker headtube.
    Was thinking going a slackset of 2 degrees then add offset bushings will steepen the ST and HT by 1 degree and the shorter offset MRP Ribbon

Any thoughts on this?
    Would love to hear Keiths thoughs.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mine is running 46mm at 160mm travel. Might drop it to 150mm as I have an airshaft waiting on me when I next drop the lowers.

What else are you looking at by way of comparison?

mtbr member
    You can now get a Ribbon in 51,46 or 41,
    The Transition sentinel comes with a Lyric which is 42 so was wondering if go for the 41 or just stick with a 46

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by I Like Dirt View Post
    Nice. Im looking for a new rig currently with Prime on my short list.
    What offset forks are people running?
    Asking with regard to this short is good thing fas per transition sentinel/ Ibis Ripmo combined with a slacker headtube.
    Was thinking going a slackset of 2 degrees then add offset bushings will steepen the ST and HT by 1 degree and the shorter offset MRP Ribbon

Any thoughts on this?
    Would love to hear Keiths thoughs.
    Cheers
    Fork offset, like pretty much everything in bike setup, is a personal preference. I have ridden long and short offset back to back on the same bike, and honestly, it doesn't make a huge difference to me. My thoughts on it are that it's more about matching fork offset to stem length. If you run a short stubby stem, then a short offset feels well balanced, likewise if you run a longer stem a longer fork offset feels better in my opinion. You can get bogged down in trail numbers etc, but really it's a case of balancing the bikes playfulness vs stability, and weight distribution to work best for you. In general, a short offset fork will be more playful and less stable than a long offset fork on the same bike.

regarding your idea of geometry adjustment on the prime... I suggest you try it as stock first, you might be pleasantly surprised! The changes you have suggested will have desired effect, but will also raise the BB height which is in my opinion one of the most important numbers for ride quality... so something to consider.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Thanks Keith.
    Great insights on the offset question
    My plan was to try stock geo first I did think that the bb would be raised.
    Thanks you your input

mtbr member
    Well pulled the pin and a new Red Raw frame will be heading to Melbourne soon.

Build pics to Follow.

Still to decide on a fork

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well pulled the pin and a new Red Raw frame will be heading to Melbourne soon.

Build pics to Follow.

Still to decide on a fork
    Yeew!
    Get excited...and you selected the best finish too.

Set up depends on where you plan to ride it, but 150mm as a minimum for front travel.

I took mine to Redhill this weekend gone and it's ridiculously good. Wasn't gassed on climbing and was mobbing descending like a madman.

Then my mate had a quick run on it and he was blown away.

mtbr member
    Youre kidding!
    I was at Redhill on my Spitty on Saturday.
    Was with a mate who is a local down there.
    We ran into a guy he knows on a YT who was talking about just riding a mates Banshee and was super impressed

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Youre kidding!
    I was at Redhill on my Spitty on Saturday.
    Was with a mate who is a local down there.
    We ran into a guy he knows on a YT who was talking about just riding a mates Banshee and was super impressed
    I was there on Saturday too. Ace trail conditions weren't they!

My mate has a Canyon Strive. Seriously I can't recommend the bike enough. Coming off carbon bikes I was expecting this to be a little lardy. Couldn't be further from the truth in terms of how it rides. I'm running an X2 and frankly the bike is wonderful. You're in for a treat and I'm looking forward to seeing your build plan / spec.

MTBDirect looked after me on delivery too, keeping me informed on progress. :^)

Keep us all posted as you settle on spec.

mtbr member
    Awesome day for the middle of winter.
    Im getting mine through Ben at Singletracks.
    He had a used Phantom frame for sale and gave me a great combined deal!
    I may have a banshee problem this will be #4 &5 I probably should make a post with all of them once completed

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You make it sound like a bad thing.. :^)
    If my Banshee experience continues as it has so far I can see myself owning another.

mtbr member
    You make it sound like a bad thing.. :^)
    Well if you ask my wife.......
    It all started for me with a used Rampant I will never get rid of it!

Keith - Bring back a modern Rampant

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Now to get some 27.5plus tires,

2018+ Banshee Prime thread-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	1211462
    OhhhhOhhhhh....the black and raws look siiiiiiick. Nice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Where can I buy one of these in the states. Jenson was only place I could find but they don't have the large and told me they where not getting any more. Iam 5'11 so assumed iam a large. I could not find any size charts on the prime.
    Last edited by craigso; 08-08-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigso View Post
    Where can I buy one of these in the states. Jenson was only place I could find but they don't have the large and told me they where not getting any more. Iam 5'11 so assumed iam a large. I could not find any size charts on the prime.
    ~~~~They'll take of you~~~~
    https://www.dirtmerchantbicycles.com...nt=31682667137

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ^^^^ yep dirt merchant ftw. Call up Ethan he'll get ya rolling!

And yes, at 5'11", large will be bueno

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hey I just checked the Jenson website and they have larges in both the gx eagle (red) and slx builds (red and burnished black). The burnished black and red are Jenson exclusive. The standard colors are black, orange with yellow letters, and raw with red letters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by chronicwsb View Post
    Hey I just checked the Jenson website and they have larges in both the gx eagle (red) and slx builds (red and burnished black). The burnished black and red are Jenson exclusive. The standard colors are black, orange with yellow letters, and raw with red letters.
    Yes but I don't want the red I really want the burnished black or all black. I want the gx build . Don't want the Nx or shinano builds

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yes but I don't want the red I really want the burnished black or all black. I want the gx build . Don't want the Nx or shinano builds
    I am so blown away by my all black ano frame. It just looks and feels *so* good in person. I had one of the powder coated frames before. This black ftw!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Gotcha. This last month I picked up the gx build in burnished black. It looks really great, especially in person. Also I was able to get a hold of one of the gear advisers about a custom build and they were willing to do it for me at a great price. Might be worth a shot. Their prices are hard to beat for the specs they come with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Gotcha. This last month I picked up the gx build in burnished black. It looks really great, especially in person. Also I was able to get a hold of one of the gear advisers about a custom build and they were willing to do it for me at a great price. Might be worth a shot. Their prices are hard to beat for the specs they come with.

The slx build seriously has my eye with the price point it's at right now... My only concern is brakes, I run slxs currently and they feel a little undergunned for what it sounds like the prime can dish out.... Think this is something they would be open to swap out based on your experience?

I'm guessing these weigh in around 33-34? Torn between this and a Kona process 153 in 29 as well....

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rclugnut View Post
    The slx build seriously has my eye with the price point it's at right now... My only concern is brakes, I run slxs currently and they feel a little undergunned for what it sounds like the prime can dish out.... Think this is something they would be open to swap out based on your experience?

I'm guessing these weigh in around 33-34? Torn between this and a Kona process 153 in 29 as well....
    What size rotors do you run? The brakes that come with the bike are very similar to the slx's. I think a 203 rotor with them would be great. I had Magura MT5's on my last bike and switched them over to this bike. So I do not have much experience with the exact brakes that come with it. You can shoot them a inquiry and see what they offer. Unless you are going full custom I would have to high of hopes, but they may work out a little something. I wouldn't let the brakes alone deter you from the bike, as that is something you can always upgrade in the future.

The Banshee Prime does not actually feel that heavy for not having an ounce of carbon on it. I haven't weighed it but I would guess 32-33ish pounds. It will for sure be lighter than the process 153. My wife demoed a carbon 153 and it was a tank. They are very heavy bikes.

I have demoed a Orbea Rallon, Whyte S-150, Pivot Switchblade, Norco Sight, Trek Slash, and Ibis Ripmo (Demoed twice). Most of these were carbon top end spec. I would say from my experience that the Prime is very similar to the Ripmo. Both tied as my favorite bikes I have ridden to date. I initially was set on the Ripmo but there is a long wait for them and it was twice the cost of the Prime. For the similar spec Ripmo it would be twice the cost as the Prime. I can 100% say that it isn't twice as good. I think carbon bikes are nice, but a well built aluminum bike can be very comparable IMO. The Prime has really surprised me with how poppy/playful despite it's longer chainstays. All that to say I am extremely pleased with the bike and think it is not only one of the best deals on the market, but one best all around bikes that is offered right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I am also seriously considering a Prime from Jenson and would greatly appreciate some advice from existing owners, since I'm worried about the size. I'm currently working in SE Asia and unfortunately there's no way I'll be able to find a model in the correct size for a test-ride.

I'm about 6' 2.5" with a dodgy back and a fairly upright/hang off the back riding style. I've been riding since the early 90s and spent 5 years on a 2005 Marzocchi 66 RC, which some of you may remember was one of the tallest forks ever built. I loved it, and used it at many of the "marathon downhill" races in Europe which helped to trigger the birth of Enduro. Unfortunately, work commitments have meant that I've only ridden MTBs a handful of times in the past 8 years, and geometry has changed a lot during this period. Now, obviously I understand the kinematic arguments why we should be riding long-reach bikes for improved stability/weight distribution, with short stems for quicker steering and low stack heights to encourage us to weight the front wheel. Realistically, however, I'm concerned that given my age, (lack of) flexibility and how infrequently my job actually lets me ride a bike, I would have difficulty adapting my riding style to long/low geometry.

My question, therefore, is this: is a Large Prime definitely going to be too small/short for me? I'd be wanting to use a 160mm fork (probably a Ribbon coil) and either a 50mm/20 deg rise or 70mm/20 deg rise stem (preferably the 50). I'm not too bothered about the bike's climbing ability, but want something fast, manoeuverable and forgiving downhill. I've never actually ridden a 29er offroad before, but was recommended to try one by friends. I haven't ridden a Banshee before either, but they appeal to me due to their reputation for building "trailbikes for downhillers".

In case it helps, my (woefully underused) existing bike is a Large Sinister Gruitr from 2009. It feels very slightly cramped when I'm out of the saddle, and people with whom I've ridden have pointed out that it looks too small for me. [It's actually quite a long frame for that era, but has a deceptively short seat tube.] I also have two older Orange freeride bikes in Large (18") which fit very well, as well as a ~19" Sinister 120mm hardtail with custom geometry which is wonderful; however all three of these are in storage 6000km away. The only new bike which I've managed to try was a large Mondraker Foxy (27.5") last week. The reach was OK, but the front end was painfully low - I had neck ache from trying to look up/ahead and it felt like I'd go over the bars if I lost concentration. I also thought that the bike seemed reluctant to manual.

I will be profoundly grateful for any guidance or suggestions which you can provide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I am 511 my prime Large fits me perfect, is all I can tell you. I think they also have a guideline for your size on there website that I bet is most accurate. The deals Jenson have are smoking hot, I am not sure how long they will last I would not waiste to much time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for the input, Dave. I found the geometry on the Banshee site, but no guidelines for rider height/sizing - I guess because there's considerable overlap depending on riding styles/preferences.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Agreed to comment above that the Jenson deals are screaming right now. Love they are getting more exposure to the brand.

A 180-181cm rider here on a large with a 50mm stem. At over 6'2" I gotta think XL for ya bud.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What size rotors do you run? The brakes that come with the bike are very similar to the slx's. I think a 203 rotor with them would be great. I had Magura MT5's on my last bike and switched them over to this bike. So I do not have much experience with the exact brakes that come with it. You can shoot them a inquiry and see what they offer. Unless you are going full custom I would have to high of hopes, but they may work out a little something. I wouldn't let the brakes alone deter you from the bike, as that is something you can always upgrade in the future.

The Banshee Prime does not actually feel that heavy for not having an ounce of carbon on it. I haven't weighed it but I would guess 32-33ish pounds. It will for sure be lighter than the process 153. My wife demoed a carbon 153 and it was a tank. They are very heavy bikes.

I have demoed a Orbea Rallon, Whyte S-150, Pivot Switchblade, Norco Sight, Trek Slash, and Ibis Ripmo (Demoed twice). Most of these were carbon top end spec. I would say from my experience that the Prime is very similar to the Ripmo. Both tied as my favorite bikes I have ridden to date. I initially was set on the Ripmo but there is a long wait for them and it was twice the cost of the Prime. For the similar spec Ripmo it would be twice the cost as the Prime. I can 100% say that it isn't twice as good. I think carbon bikes are nice, but a well built aluminum bike can be very comparable IMO. The Prime has really surprised me with how poppy/playful despite it's longer chainstays. All that to say I am extremely pleased with the bike and think it is not only one of the best deals on the market, but one best all around bikes that is offered right now.
    Love to read this. I've been demoing a bunch of bikes over the last year as well and agree that the Ripmo is similar. It's my favorite bike out right now fo sho, BUT also agreed that it ain't twice the bike a Prime is. The rational man stays on his rock solid alloy Banshee and shreds alongside his 2x priced carbon vunderbike buddies

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    A 180-181cm rider here on a large with a 50mm stem. At over 6'2" I gotta think XL for ya bud.
    Thanks, Lithified - this is what I suspected yet feared hearing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It's hard to fault this thing. Rode probably my favorite loop in my area yesterday (Spencer Gap to Trace Ridge, Pisgah) and it was after ~4hrs of trail work. Exhausted and tired, but was just still beaming on this Prime. Rides so good. Bikes rock

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
    the 29".

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	1211462
    Wicked looking bike there Dave Mac. How does it ride on the plus tyres compared to 29"? I've always considered it would be a bit ponderous and dull witted based on an early ride of plus ages ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Still feeling it..

Took my Banshee Prime to a new destination yesterday. Harcourt in VIC, Australia is a great mix of flow trails, tech climbing and descents. Rock gardens and everything in between.

The Prime was superb. Had me launching doubles first time around and got up all the climbs when I had the skills / legs.

No regrets on this bike at all.. I'm tempted to out some carbon wheels on but am reminded that I'd just spend forever worrying about them. This bike you just ride until you can't ride anymore. It's just super fun.

I've a mate getting a Ripmo in XL so will look forward to comparing them. 2x the price at decidedly less than 2x the bike I'm sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Wicked looking bike there Dave Mac. How does it ride on the plus tyres compared to 29"? I've always considered it would be a bit ponderous and dull witted based on an early ride of plus ages ago.

Thanks Jon the plus wheels get here this coming week they are I9 360 I will let you know how they do, I should have some time on them next weekend if all goes as planned.

I will tell you that I got this bike originally to put a middrive electric motor on it because of the bottom bracket being threaded. But since I have been riding it stock it is such a joy I am going to leave it alone.

I have never enjoyed mountain biking so much as riding this bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

On my hardtail running slxs with 7/6 f/r, my 08 pitch (bike to be replaced) is the m477 with 8/7. The m477s feel the exact same as the slxs and they could use a touch more power. Should try sintered pass before I write off 2 piston stoppers completely for heavy trail and bike park use...

Depends on how spendy I'm feeling and what I want for squishy bits... slx build, would swap out brakes and be done... But the charger in the pike off the gx build would be nice as well... Pitty the tires and brakes on that build are off putting..

Spec aside the process does seem to be a tank by all accounts, abit a tank that pedals decent but still, sounds like the prime does earn a point up over it there....

Thanks for the input

Decisions.... hmmm

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pretty dang happy on this thing

2018+ Banshee Prime thread-30005808928_e158d147f9_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    great picture CD !!

mtbr member
    Now seeing this, so not sure if you made up your mind yet or not, but here's some thoughts from a 6'2.25" tall rider with long arms and legs (35.25" inseam). I had the original pre-production Prime in XL with a 474mm Reach, I rode it with a 65mm stem and 780mm bar for 2 years, always had issues with high spin control in corners. Then got a Phantom and went with Large as they increased the Reach to 450mm compared to the Large Prime at 440mm, ended up riding it with a 70mm stem and 780mm bar and found the fit great. Built back up the Prime with a 50mm stem/780mm bar and that lack of good control in high speed corners was gone and slow speed handling was better than ever. So in short, no, if you honestly have flexibility issues, a Large with 60mm stem should do you fine.

Best advise I can give you is to measure your current cockpit setup, measure where your saddle is relative to the BB, measurement from back of saddle to outside of grip etc and determine your fit, then ask others for some measurements. The only way I would push you to the XL would be if you like to be closer over the BB, I myself like to be quite far back and have to run a setback post to get there, roughly back of saddle down to stay I'm 14" behind the BB with 180mm cranks. Measurement from centre, back of saddle to outside of grip is 35". Also take into account if you're going to be running a longer fork, that will shorten the Reach up a bit as it slackens the angles out.

Quote Originally Posted by furry_marmot
    I am also seriously considering a Prime from Jenson and would greatly appreciate some advice from existing owners, since I'm worried about the size. I'm currently working in SE Asia and unfortunately there's no way I'll be able to find a model in the correct size for a test-ride.

I'm about 6' 2.5" with a dodgy back and a fairly upright/hang off the back riding style.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'm also riding the fence regarding the Jenson sale - anyone have feedback riding the Prime compared to the Rune? This would be a great complement to South Mountain riding for when my 29er friends smoke me on the flats. I know this won't be a 100MM whippet, but how much overlap is there between a burly Rune build and the x01 eagle Prime build?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    quick question high/steep setting raises the BB height is that correct?? help a rookie out

looking to get my BB as high as possible now that I have the 27.5 plus tires on there, any tips would be greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Yep
    +0.3" or 8mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Yep
    +0.3" or 8mm
    thanks sir, I guess next will be 165 cranks

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckiebruster View Post
    I'm also riding the fence regarding the Jenson sale - anyone have feedback riding the Prime compared to the Rune? This would be a great complement to South Mountain riding for when my 29er friends smoke me on the flats. I know this won't be a 100MM whippet, but how much overlap is there between a burly Rune build and the x01 eagle Prime build?
    Honestly, if you have a Rune - I would think something like an Evil Following would be a better 2nd bike.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Or a Phantom! But yeah, agreed, quite a bit of overlap on Rune/Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Honestly, if you have a Rune - I would think something like an Evil Following would be a better 2nd bike.

mtbr member
    If you already own a Rune, then I'd say no, won't be much difference I'd imagine since they're both made from a similar, if not the same tubeset, much better off looking at a Phantom. Am just speculating on the Rune vs Prime, as I don't own, nor have never ridden a Rune, but I do own a Prime and Phantom and they're VERY different in how the suspension feels - Prime feels like a monster truck, just point and go, Phantom feels more nimble and maybe WRC car, pick your line a bit more carefully, feel the trail more, get more feedback.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for the feedback - i pulled the trigger yesterday. I felt the value was really really good for the x01 build. I'm going to make sure to not bulk up the Prime like my Rune (double down tires, DH duty rims). We'll see when it shows up next week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Now seeing this, so not sure if you made up your mind yet or not, but here's some thoughts from a 6'2.25" tall rider with long arms and legs (35.25" inseam). I had the original pre-production Prime in XL with a 474mm Reach, I rode it with a 65mm stem and 780mm bar for 2 years, always had issues with high spin control in corners. Then got a Phantom and went with Large as they increased the Reach to 450mm compared to the Large Prime at 440mm, ended up riding it with a 70mm stem and 780mm bar and found the fit great. Built back up the Prime with a 50mm stem/780mm bar and that lack of good control in high speed corners was gone and slow speed handling was better than ever. So in short, no, if you honestly have flexibility issues, a Large with 60mm stem should do you fine.
    Thank you LyNx, I really appreciate your advice. On my existing (cramped bike), saddle to outside grip is 33", so ~35" sounds ideal. Since you're a similar size to me and comfortable on an older XL with a 50mm stem, I expect I'll be happiest on a newer XL (11mm longer) with a 50mm stem and a 160mm fork. I usually cut my bars down to ~750mm to minimise tree strikes, which may also help to reduce the effective length of the bike. Anyway, I've managed to find a XL in stock for a reasonable (though not Jenson-esque) price...

mtbr member
    Oh, well if that's how you have the Rune built, then yeah going with some EXO type casings and lighter rims, should really help quite a bit - rotational weight is key. When you get it, curious to hear how the actual suspension compares, as I really think the Prime and Rune are very similar basher type bikes.

Thanks for the feedback - i pulled the trigger yesterday. I felt the value was really really good for the x01 build. I'm going to make sure to not bulk up the Prime like my Rune (double down tires, DH duty rims). We'll see when it shows up next week.
    Hey, no worries man, always glad to help if I can. One thing to note, got my bikes confused, run the Prime with a 40mm stem, not 50mm.

Quote Originally Posted by furry_marmot View Post
    Thank you LyNx, I really appreciate your advice. On my existing (cramped bike), saddle to outside grip is 33", so ~35" sounds ideal. Since you're a similar size to me and comfortable on an older XL with a 50mm stem, I expect I'll be happiest on a newer XL (11mm longer) with a 50mm stem and a 160mm fork. I usually cut my bars down to ~750mm to minimise tree strikes, which may also help to reduce the effective length of the bike. Anyway, I've managed to find a XL in stock for a reasonable (though not Jenson-esque) price...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    just ordered 1 hope its as good as you all say it is. Just couldn't miss out on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I put my order in last week hopefully it'll ship Monday, wanted to put a slightly smaller chainring on the slx build so they had to run it through the que. Hopefully it's here by the end of the week...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Got in 32 miles in Pisgah this weekend on this rig. Added a bit of compression to the X2 = golden.

Had a few guys ask about the Banshee lately. And even one comment about these incredible Jenson deals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    just ordered 1 hope its as good as you all say it is. Just couldn't miss out on it.
    Congratulations, your life just got quite a bit better. Looking forward to seeing your ride report.

I don't want to over sell it but nothing I've ridden has been as satisfying. And I've had more, supposedly better carbon bikes previously. They couldn't touch it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I pick mine up on friday from jensonusa.com they built a burnished black in large for me. Iam happy we have a long weekend. But friday is a long way away right now

mtbr member
    So my large Red Raw frame has arrived.
    So far I have wheels DT240s on EX511s
    One up 170mm dropper
    Ergon GMA3 grips
    Ergon SMA3 Saddle
    SQLab 30X bars
    Spank spike 35mm stem
    Race face Chester pedals

On the way are
    XT/ XTR drivetrain
    Magura MT trail brakes with 200/180 discs also on the way
    2.5 Minion DHF and Agressor DD

Just need to pull the trigger on a fork
    Im thinking a MRP Ribbon Coil and changing out the Monarch to a CC IL Coil

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So my large Red Raw frame has arrived.
    How're you feeling about the finish? It still puts a smile on my face everytime I see it.
    Good spec choices too, my 170mm One Up post is very impressive but I've only had it a week or so and can't talk to longevity.
    There's no slop or side to side play at all.

Looking forward to seeing it built up and your ride impressions. :^)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    my 170mm One Up post is very impressive but I've only had it a week or so and can't talk to longevity.
    There's no slop or side to side play at all.
    Have had mine since May and all I've touched is taking up a bit of slack in cable after initial stretch. Great post with a rowdy summer on it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Have had mine since May and all I've touched is taking up a bit of slack in cable after initial stretch. Great post with a rowdy summer on it!

Great to hear. I could actually use a 200mm dropper post but 170mm will do fine.

mtbr member
    How're you feeling about the finish? It still puts a smile on my face everytime I see it.
    Yeah its awesome- my young bloke has got his eye on it even.

Hope the Magura brakes work out as Ive heard a few mixed reviews so we'll see on that one.
    Good to hear about the dropper as they can be a pain particularly Reverbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Anyone know how narrow of a Q-factor the frame can handle? Figure something like the m9000 with the 158mm Q-factor would whack the chain stays?
    (Prime 17/18 is referred to V-?)

Thanks
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah its awesome- my young bloke has got his eye on it even.

Hope the Magura brakes work out as Ive heard a few mixed reviews so we'll see on that one.
    Good to hear about the dropper as they can be a pain particularly Reverbs
    You'll get folks on the trail commenting on it. Seems most are partial to a raw / lacquered alloy frame. :^)

I've been fortunate with Reverbs and they have been fine for me. All 4 I've had have been good but understand it's hit and miss for many. Enjoy the build!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We recommend a Q factor of 168mm for the Prime... 158 is a very tight fit and may result in clearance issues.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    My X01 red racer showed up a few days ago. I got it out on a short loop last night for a shakedown. Everything is stock except for changing the ring from a 34 to a 30, swapped out the 3 tooth torch driver for the 6 tooth, and installed 2.4 Bonty XR4 (F) and 2.4 XR3 (R). The nobby nic's that came with the bike were paper thin and i'm probably going to donate them to a shop for one of the high school racing teams.

My initial sag settings were a bit off. Pedaling up a few hills it felt like the rear end was sinking and it was bouncing alot. Reduced sag to about 25% and slowed down the rebound a few clicks. Now the Prime is starting to come to life. Pedals with authority and sits perfectly in the travel. I hit a few chunky spots - no problems here but I didn't hit anything that I would usually ride on my Rune - yet

Handling - feels snappier than my Rune. Easy to bunny hop and no problems laying the bike on one side or the other. The XR3 in the rear is fast rolling but doesn't hold a line as well as an Aggressor - it is extremely easy to drift the rear with this tire but its pretty fun. XR4 up front is pretty good - bites harder than it looks like it should. I need to get used to how the 29er carries speed cause I was coming in way too hot on a few corners.

So far this bike feels like a great compliment to my stable - the Pike, the 28 spoke Industry 9 wheels, and the tire choice is a bit less aggro than what I and my wife are currently running. I'm excited to take this bike on longer rides when the weather cools down.

Oh yea - the red paint is ridiculously nice - wow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great to hear you're feeling the Prime already.

Mine felt like that to begin and then once I'd nailed a few settings it just came alive. Every single ride just has me astounded about it.

And Banshee certainly know how to put a finish on a bike! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    25 miles at Dupont State Forest this morning. New stickers, bike is 10% faster!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I have been running a 16 prime for almost a couple years now. The bike is a beast. Since Keith is watching this thread I would love to see a long travel prime. I have upped my fork to 160mm from 150mm. My head angle is right around 65 degrees. Not sure how you can run a 140mm fork, the bike is to fast! I have taken mine to whistler for 3 years in a row, and I have had to upgrade (mainly brakes) because of it. I find I run out of travel because the bike just keeps rolling faster. I did a demo on a full carbon Santa Cruz nomad last year on crank it up. I was surprised that my Prime rolled faster. The Nomad just had more squish to push harder longer. I would love to see a prime LT as a 160f/150r with same style as the current prime. Fingers crossed!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep, I'd love a Prime with 150mm+ travel. Like you I'm running a 160mm fork and the bike is excellent but I certainly would welcome more travel if the pedalling manners were there too.

I'm not complaining about the Prime in its current form though. It's an exceptional bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not mine but bike of the day

https://m.vitalmtb.com/community/sco...50/setup,37551

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    *taking notes*

As Always I love to hear rider feedback to help me make what your next dream bike. I'll put this on my to look into list!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Adding a 150mm 29er to the lineup would be amazing!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If you bumped the travel to 150 and added a bottle cage, Id come back to the fold.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    If you bumped the travel to 150 and added a bottle cage, Id come back to the fold.
    Bottle cage inside the triangle would be a huge plus, but I can live with it underneath the downtube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris705 View Post
    but I can live with it underneath the downtube.
    Especially if it ends up looking like the 2019 Yetis

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    *taking notes*

As Always I love to hear rider feedback to help me make what your next dream bike. I'll put this on my to look into list!
    Here is my 2 cents. I'm at the point where I'm finding I want just a little more from my prime. I keep ending up on steeper/faster trails. Going to 160mm helped on the steeper trails, but I could start to feel the compromise (bar/BB height, a little more wheel flop). If I could have a banshee 29er designed around a 160mm fork (65-64HA)with a little more squish in the rear say 150mm or more, it would retain the great characteristics of the KS suspension. Banshees are like the swiss army knives of the mtn bike world. Guys can still run their non boost stuff and carry it over to the new frame, or switch to the new boost standards if they choose. My 16 with a CCDB air is not light, but I don't care it climbs well, and the frame is burley enough to take the abuse! Leave the prime as a mid travel 29er, and give us a LT 29er.It could be a 29er "Rune", or call it a "Wraith (Scottish word I believe)." Keep the long chainstays, add a little more length to front so can run really short stem, little steeper seat tube angle. Lastly offer it in raw with blue stickers, and it would be an impulse buy. Rant over!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    All of that, especially the long chainstays, and keep the stack high / reasonable (1.93m rider here) but Raw and Red please. I love that finish.
    Ok, maybe as a compromise something other than red / blue tint... But still with a raw element.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scottitus View Post
    ...Leave the prime as a mid travel 29er, and give us a LT 29er....
    Completely agree with this.

And to the water bottle, I've been harping on this for a while but I don't think Banshee thinks it's worth the re-engineering hassle. They're smarter than me on the business, so I won't be a jerk about it, haha. But I will say my next frame....while Banshee is def on the list, it's not 100%, and the water bottle is the linchpin for me. Riding in the hot southeast, that'd be soooooo nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Especially if it ends up looking like the 2019 Yetis
    Seems I'm not the only one that doesn't like how some companies are extending the bottom bracket to give the bike a little ponch. Yeti has ruined the aesthetics of the sb150. They kept the sb100 looking good though. I would still ride a bike that fits a bottle above the downtube as long as it ticked all the other boxes for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rclugnut View Post

Just got the large slx and it was 33lbs out of the box. (32.99)
    Removed tubes, 236g (ea) so basically about 32lb stock before adding pedals.
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    Just got the large slx and it was 33lbs out of the box. (32.99)
    Removed tubes, 236g (ea) so basically about 32lb stock before adding pedals.
    Just got mine today as well! Their sheet says 33, so far looks sweet, but my reverb lever is frozen solid :'( going to give them a ring..

Edit: NVM 30 seconds of googling figured it out, sounds like the hose was kinked. Pulled out the post shimmied the cable around and it worked a treat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here's mine in almost its current trim. Only changes are:
    Rear tyre is now 2.4" Ardent
    Dropper is now a 170mm One Up components.

To say I love this bike is an understatement. It's such good fun everywhere and handles everything I want a bike to.
    Great climbing manners, excellent descending and it jumps like a champ too!

The finish on the bike is beautiful and despite owning a top spec (for that model) carbon bike with carbon wheels and other trick bits on it, this aluminium bike wins every single time in the battle for "what bike am I riding this weekend".

I took it to a reasonably new trail (Opened in March this year) called Harcourt which is an excellent blend of flow trails, chunkier climbs and descending as well as superb doubles and tabletops. The Prime was all killer, no filler the entire day.2018+ Banshee Prime thread-20180714_112506.jpg

This picture is from a local run and I'll upload more when I get a moment.
    @builttoride, you've made one heck of a bike here with the Prime.

mtbr member
    Lysty,
    Your not doing Cressy this weekend are you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast