2018+ Banshee Prime thread - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks everyone - ordered the XL

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Smart choice, and your life just improved by approximately 230%, give or take. :^).

Looking forward to seeing build pictures and hearing your ride impressions.

Biking Like Crazy!
    I'm new to the Banshee family, having only owned my Prime for 2 weeks now. It's been a really fun bike so far except for one issue. When I ride rough trails the rear DT Swiss axle will loosen multiple times on me. I have installed the dropout as described in the Banshee site with wheel in place and axle tightened an then tighten the bolts. The last ride I even used some blue lock tight and it still loosened. I had a similar problem on a 5010 with a DT axle. Maybe it's the axle? Anyone else having this problem? Thanks!
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Same. I swapped to a Maxle Stealth. No problems with loosening since quite some time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mine did for the first few rides then has been great since. I don't take my wheel off often though so maybe that plays into it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    i added some teflon tape to the thread and it stopped my axle from loosening up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rclugnut View Post
    Mine did for the first few rides then has been great since. I don't take my wheel off often though so maybe that plays into it?
    Me neither. In the woods I rarely had it loosening, but on long runs from mountains top to bottom Or park days It needed retightening several times a day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It never happens on mine. The Teflon tape suggestion is what I would do too.

Presuming there's a tolerance issue on yours, can you take it to the supplier / LBS to check?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    I'm new to the Banshee family, having only owned my Prime for 2 weeks now. It's been a really fun bike so far except for one issue. When I ride rough trails the rear DT Swiss axle will loosen multiple times on me. I have installed the dropout as described in the Banshee site with wheel in place and axle tightened an then tighten the bolts. The last ride I even used some blue lock tight and it still loosened. I had a similar problem on a 5010 with a DT axle. Maybe it's the axle? Anyone else having this problem? Thanks!
    just in case you did not see this thread on the topic some other suggestions in here https://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bike...s-1090897.html

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
    just in case you did not see this thread on the topic some other suggestions in here https://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bike...s-1090897.html
    Thanks Dave for this thread find! I'll try some red lock tight and see what that does!
    Love my new Prime!!
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JonJones View Post
    Smart choice, and your life just improved by approximately 230%, give or take. :^).

Looking forward to seeing build pictures and hearing your ride impressions.
    Cheers Jon,

I already feel like its improved 100% and the bike isn't even built yet - if its as much fun as the Rune i tested was, then 230% may be a little conservative!

It's in at Summit at the moment, due to get built up this week - hoping to get out on Sunday for a good ride - will chuck up a photo or two then!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great to hear! I bet Sunday can't arrive soon enough.

I have been playing with X2 settings and found the bike a little more harsh than I'd prefer. Clearly I had too much time on my hands.

I then removed almost all HSC and LSC settings and set sag as per recommendations and it's back to being its beautiful best. Pedals like a dream and descends with assurance and composure.

No bobbing or wallowing, it's just perfect with the shock set open for my preferences.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Just picked up the bike (will post some photos later, currently sitting next to me in the office under harsh fluorescent lighting haha)

Suggested sag is 30% right? Everyone happy with this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Measured in mm mine is at 14mm travel. And super happy. I've found on the X2 I can run it with almost no compression damping too and it feels wonderful. Doesn't bottom out too.

Not sure if there's a spacer in it as I didn't check when I got it.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've run 28% with good results, improved pedaling, and small bump does feel effected. This is on an rc3 plus

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Build pic as promised - taking it for its first hit out tomorrow at Harcourt.

2018+ Banshee Prime thread-img_20181124_153051_331.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Harcourt is great fun. Trail #2 descent... Get into it!

Then the tech on the other side is well worth the effort for the descent.
    And your Prime looks the goods, loving the fork and Hope brakes.

Did you go 150mm fork? Looks like low settings? And wheels?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Harcourt is great fun. Trail #2 descent... Get into it!

Then the tech on the other side is well worth the effort for the descent.
    And your Prime looks the goods, loving the fork and Hope brakes.

Did you go 150mm fork? Looks like low settings? And wheels?
    Yeah I've done Harcourt a couple times on my old trek. Trail 2 is great, and 11 is a stack of fun once you've put in the hard yards with the climb.

Yeah, went with the 150mm fork, wheels are the Bontrager Line Comp off my Trek for now. Will run them into the ground and then see what I decide to do from there. Hope brakes and stem, raceface bars, gx eagle groupset.

Absolutely loved the bike, but slight bummer that the shop who built it didn't do a good job on the gears and it was slipping all over the place. Get that sorted and I'll be a VERY happy man!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Those Line Comps will do the job. You're so right about trail 11, that climb really gets its money's worth out of you. On the way down I'm usually just hanging on dear life!

Glad you're loving the bike, I think the 150mm fork makes the most sense overall and hopefully you'll get the skipping gears resolved quickly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Those Line Comps will do the job. You're so right about trail 11, that climb really gets its money's worth out of you. On the way down I'm usually just hanging on dear life!

Glad you're loving the bike, I think the 150mm fork makes the most sense overall and hopefully you'll get the skipping gears resolved quickly.
    Got it out at Red Hill over the weekend, and while the ride was cut short with another mechanical (think I've destroyed the hub in the rear bontrager line comp), the Prime is a beast down there - pretty confident I would have smashed my PB down fall line and pins despite still adjusting to the wide bars/short stem combo; while I think it may climb better than my old fuel with the shock in trail mode. This bike is amazing

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I remember my first ride on the Prime down Fall Line chasing mates who are local. They'd usually drop me pretty easily. This time I was on them the whole way down.

100% the difference was the bike. And that's coming off a 160mm f 150mm r Remedy.

This weekend I ran my 27.5+ wheels and tyres and it's just ridiculous fun. And the climbing, it just get up everything.

I'm hoping the love affair continues with this rig.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Does anyone change rear suspension settings when flipping the rear from high to low?
    Tried low for the first time (2 rides) and it just did not do it for me. I probably just like the higher setting for geo reasons, but if anyone has a setting tweak they like to do between high and low, I will give it a shot.

Thanks
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What is it about the shock setting or ride you don't like?

With mine from high to low I might check the sag, or dial in a click or 3 more / less low speed compression. Rebound I tend to leave alone.

I leave mine in low but I tend not to ride in areas where pedal clearance is an issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I remember my first ride on the Prime down Fall Line chasing mates who are local. They'd usually drop me pretty easily. This time I was on them the whole way down.

100% the difference was the bike. And that's coming off a 160mm f 150mm r Remedy.

This weekend I ran my 27.5+ wheels and tyres and it's just ridiculous fun. And the climbing, it just get up everything.

I'm hoping the love affair continues with this rig.

Hey Jon thats what I run, what tires are your running? I am on the Rekon 2.8 27.5 and cant imagine anything much better. I did not even enjoy mountian biking until I got the prime, I got it to make a electric bike out of it, but once I rode it I was hooked left it alone (probaly get another one to make electric as I can ride on my recovery days) , been upgrading ever since LOL such a joy to ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.c View Post
    Yeah I've done Harcourt a couple times on my old trek. Trail 2 is great, and 11 is a stack of fun once you've put in the hard yards with the climb.

Yeah, went with the 150mm fork, wheels are the Bontrager Line Comp off my Trek for now. Will run them into the ground and then see what I decide to do from there. Hope brakes and stem, raceface bars, gx eagle groupset.

Absolutely loved the bike, but slight bummer that the shop who built it didn't do a good job on the gears and it was slipping all over the place. Get that sorted and I'll be a VERY happy man!
    My cassete loosened up on me that would cause slipping gears, also bent derailer caused mine to not shift proper. I am sure you probaly knew this though glad you are loving the new bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I went with Bontrager XR4 but in 2.6" size. They are huge and I can't imagine running a tyre any larger. It might be a hair shorter than a 2.8" but even in low the BB is the same height as my Remedy in the high position.

It works, and is excellent fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    My cassete loosened up on me that would cause slipping gears, also bent derailer caused mine to not shift proper. I am sure you probaly knew this though glad you are loving the new bike
    Cheers, Dave,

Turned out to be the b-screw was off. The shop had set it, but with the bike set for approx 23-25% sag - which was probably why it shifted OK when I first rode it, but once I realised it was meant to be around 30% (think I'm liking 30-32% - there's always a trail and climb switch on the shock for sustained climbs ) it stopped shifting properly. The mechanic thought that it was also possible the cable tension may have also been impacted by the heat shrink which may have pulled the tension a little after he'd sorted the drive train initially. Gears are sorted now, but unfortunately I'm waiting to hear back about why the cassette on my Bontrager hub is spinning in both directions...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Good to hear you've got that sorted.
    Regarding the freehub, is the wheel still within the warranty period?

I've always found Trek to be pretty good on valid warranty here for me. Hopefully they side with you on this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Good to hear you've got that sorted.
    Regarding the freehub, is the wheel still within the warranty period?

I've always found Trek to be pretty good on valid warranty here for me. Hopefully they side with you on this.
    Yeah warranty will cover it - but decided I'll keep them as spares (heard a few stories of them breaking and the rims are pretty soft) and get some DT 350s laced to DT XM481s

mtbr member
    Yeah warranty will cover it - but decided I'll keep them as spares (heard a few stories of them breaking and the rims are pretty soft) and get some DT 350s laced to DT XM481s
    Cant go wrong with DT's star ratchet

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Still loving this machine. Predictable, stable... two issues thus far:
    The Monarch Plus RC3 rear shock spilled its oil all over my van floor after only 4 months of use, it blew through the rebound knob. Got fixed under warranty, but not a fan of this shock.
    And the bike now has a wicked creak, which I suspect comes from the front shock mount, or seat post, not sure. I had similar creaks in my old 2013 Spitfire that I was never able to 100% resolve. Must be my bike mechanic skills. Going to ask a real one for advise.

2018+ Banshee Prime thread-dec2-best-ride-2018-lost-lake.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What don't you like about the shock? I like it better than the 34 that came on the front of mine... The shock just seems to work for me, has taken very little fiddling...

The 34 has been better once I got some volume spacers in it, before it had bottomed out on a 2ft drop to flat. It has also developed a creek from the stanchions it sounds like on sharp impacts.... Going to talk to Jenson about the return process...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rclugnut View Post
    What don't you like about the shock? I like it better than the 34 that came on the front of mine... The shock just seems to work for me, has taken very little fiddling... ..
    No compression dial to fine tune compression, just the 3 position switch.
    It shouldn't fail after only 4 months of use.
    My old Fox Float CTD was more tunable and reliable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
    Still loving this machine. Predictable, stable... two issues thus far:
    The Monarch Plus RC3 rear shock spilled its oil all over my van floor after only 4 months of use, it blew through the rebound knob. Got fixed under warranty, but not a fan of this shock.
    And the bike now has a wicked creak, which I suspect comes from the front shock mount, or seat post, not sure. I had similar creaks in my old 2013 Spitfire that I was never able to 100% resolve. Must be my bike mechanic skills. Going to ask a real one for advise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec2-best-ride-2018-lost-lake.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	619.2 KB 
ID:	1228368
    I had creaking that seems to have come from the spacers on the handle bars/stem.. I spray them down with silcone and the creaking stops or gets way better. one day going to try one spacer there.

But the creak is always terrible after a bike wash, then I spray it and seems to take it away for the most part

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
    No compression dial to fine tune compression, just the 3 position switch.
    It shouldn't fail after only 4 months of use.
    My old Fox Float CTD was more tunable and reliable.
    Can't argue there, I never felt the need to adjust the tune so I don't worry about it.

What has lead me to the fork creaking is it's only on sharp impacts to the front end. I can lean on the bars, twist them any which way, and it only cracks when you slam the front end down, even if you're standing next to it and dropping it on the fork. We'll see what they say...

Here, diagonally!
    Build pic as promised - taking it for its first hit out tomorrow at Harcourt.

Name:	IMG_20181124_153051_331.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	467.6 KB 
ID:	1226056
    Sweet ride. I've got a black 2016, and just love the texture of the ano finish. Glad you are getting some time in on this beast. In my experience, as you learn what the bike is capable of, it keeps getting better.

Apparently with hubs, anything but the good ones just can't take clyde abuse, so good call on the DTs. Regarding wide bars, I may be in the minority, but all I can say is I tried them for a few months, but could never get on well with them. Good luck getting her dialed in and enjoy!

Gloworm Lights
    Here's my Limited Edition Prime. I'm 98kg and 180cm.

2018+ Banshee Prime thread-mtbr.jpg

Large Frame
    Fox 36 RC2 Grip2 160mm 90psi
    Fox Float X2 240 psi
    Renthal Carbon Cockpit with Industry Nine Stem
    Industry Nine EN310 Carbon Wheels
    X01 Eagle Drivetrain
    Code RSC Brakes with 203mm XT Rotors
    Bike Yoke Post 160mm
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5WT EXO+ and DHR2 2.4WT EXO+
    CushCore front and Rear
    Weight 32.5lb

This bike is a weapon! Just came back from 2 days in Nelson, NZ riding Wairoa Gorge and some local trails. Over 4000m of descending over 35km. Loved the rocky, rotty, chundery trails. Rolled super fast on the smooth and jumped playfully off trail features.

I went back to a Rune for a month or two but found it way too unstable compared to the Prime. So went back to the 29er.

I run 20psi with the Cushcore and it grips super well!.

Also pedals very well uphill. Not sure of my shock settings at the moment, but I run very little LSC and about 50% of the avaialble HSC.
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post

Name:	MTBR.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	300.7 KB 
ID:	1229033

Large Frame
    Fox Float X2 240 psi
    X01 Eagle Drivetrain
    Bike Yoke Post 160mm
    CushCore front and Rear
    Weight 32.5lb

This bike is a weapon! Just came back from 2 days in Nelson, NZ riding Wairoa Gorge and some local trails. Over 4000m of descending over 35km. Loved the rocky, rotty, chundery trails. Rolled super fast on the smooth and jumped playfully off trail features.

I went back to a Rune for a month or two but found it way too unstable compared to the Prime. So went back to the 29er.

Also pedals very well uphill. Not sure of my shock settings at the moment, but I run very little LSC and about 50% of the avaialble HSC.
    Amazing build. Completely agree about how much of a weapon these Primes are!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Sweet ride. I've got a black 2016, and just love the texture of the ano finish. Glad you are getting some time in on this beast. In my experience, as you learn what the bike is capable of, it keeps getting better.

Apparently with hubs, anything but the good ones just can't take clyde abuse, so good call on the DTs. Regarding wide bars, I may be in the minority, but all I can say is I tried them for a few months, but could never get on well with them. Good luck getting her dialed in and enjoy!
    Cheers JACKL. Had my first hit out on the new wheels on Saturday and they were great - though the bontys weren't bad at all until I stripped them haha

I'm beginning to get an idea on just how capable it is. Took it down a couple double blacks on the weekend, and while i was b-lining a lot of stuff, the b-lines are still pretty rowdy. Sections that used to scare me on the Trek Fuel became pretty "oh, was that it?", yet the bike is still pretty poppy and playful - loving it so far, and find myself loving it more every ride. I'm finally starting to get used to the wide bars too - I didn't like them much at first, but slowly getting used to them. I may still cut them back to 780cm, but we'll see how I go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Large Frame
    Fox Float X2 240 psi
    X01 Eagle Drivetrain
    Bike Yoke Post 160mm
    CushCore front and Rear
    Weight 32.5lb

Lovely build you have there and not a thing left to upgrade or change. 160mm forks are wonderful on this bike and the X2 is well worth the money for riders of our weight.

I've been leaving the LSC and HSC fully open for a while and have only just dialled in 4 clicks of each. It's a little poppier but still comfortable and tracks the ground so very well.

And I love that limited edition colourway. :^)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That's my experience coming from the Fuel too. The Prime just hits everything so well. I'm such a fanboi!

Heaven help me if they make an XXL version of the Prime LT.

Here, diagonally!

Large Frame
    Fox Float X2 240 psi
    X01 Eagle Drivetrain
    Bike Yoke Post 160mm
    CushCore front and Rear
    Weight 32.5lb

I generally like understated graphics, but that blue and yellow is stunning. I think that might be my favorite color combo of all model year Primes (not counting stealth or raw, which I gravitate to).

Just did a web search for images of Nelson, NZ Wairoa Gorge. Looks amazing, and plenty knarly. I'd want the big wheels there for sure. If you have pics, maybe throw a few up. Long hike from the States, but I will put it on my bucket list.

Norūwegr

Will have this finished by spring I hope, 2015; but the pricetag and reach suited me better.

Oh and that blue light is what it currently looks like outside, not due to potato-cam.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Those of you heavier guys running X2īs do you have problems with bottom outs? How many spacers do you use?

240psi for around 100kg is much pressure... Iīm a little bit worried because of the big air chamber... My old nomad was very progressive but with the X2 climbing was hell since it uses to much sag with the weightshift to the back. Otherwise it was the best shock I ever used. Trying to decide taking the risk with the X2 or if I should better try the DPX2 with smaller chamber and more built in progression.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    So I'm pretty excited to build this up!

Going from a Phantom to the Prime and also stepping up to an xl frame from a large. It almost feels like a cop out to put my old parts on a frame with this paint job. My last decision is if I want to run 29x2.4 or get some new wheels and try 27.5x2.8. The rest of the build will most likely be shimano 1x11 and a DVO diamond boost up front set at 150mm.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'd highly suggest that if you already have the 29" wheels & tyres that you give them a go, then decide if you want to give B+ a go. Personally, I think you're in for a BIG surprise in just how different the Prime feels compared to the Phantom, 2 pretty similar bikes geo wise on paper, but so very different in person, Keith did an excellent job of making it fairly easy to decide which bike to pick if you have both. Only new thing you should "need" to purchase is a shorter stem, unless the Large really was the wrong size for you and small.

Quote Originally Posted by neil_240 View Post
    So I'm pretty excited to build this up!

Going from a Phantom to the Prime and also stepping up to an xl frame from a large. It almost feels like a cop out to put my old parts on a frame with this paint job. My last decision is if I want to run 29x2.4 or get some new wheels and try 27.5x2.8. The rest of the build will most likely be shimano 1x11 and a DVO diamond boost up front set at 150mm.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm 100kgs or there about ready to ride. Running the X2 and it would use all available travel. It would bottom out VERY lightly but there's been an issue with mine whilst it's warrantied so I'm running the stock Rockshox currently.

I was at about 230psi and all the volume spacers I could use. It was at 30% sag and I only ran a couple of clicks of LSC and HSC.

Once my X2 comes back I'll be able to update you further but I loved it whilst it was performing properly. No harsh bottom outs and it felt like plenty of travel and support.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm 100kgs or there about ready to ride. Running the X2 and it would use all available travel. It would bottom out VERY lightly but there's been an issue with mine whilst it's warrantied so I'm running the stock Rockshox currently.

I was at about 230psi and all the volume spacers I could use. It was at 30% sag and I only ran a couple of clicks of LSC and HSC.

Once my X2 comes back I'll be able to update you further but I loved it whilst it was performing properly. No harsh bottom outs and it felt like plenty of travel and support.
    Jon, out of interest, what PSI are you running in the monarch RC3 plus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've run both 29x 2.4" on 30mm internal width as well as 27.5x2.6" on 35mm internal width wheels and there is a marked difference. The 2.6" tyres are Bontrager and huge!

Overall I prefer 29" as the nose is higher and the rollover feels unbeatable.

At 27.5x 2.6" it's more agile and a different kind of fun. The grip is beyond what I've ever seen and it's also more comfortable too.

I notice the reduced roll over and the weight bias onto the nose helps grip a touch but feels less invulnerable if that makes sense.

1m 93cm height so there is that to consider too. Either way is fun and I haven't had to use the high position either.. it works well at either height with just the odd pedal strike compared to absolutely none on 29".

It's staying at 27.5 whilst my 29" wheels are warrantied amd I'm not regretting it.

Hope that helps a little in your decision making.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I've run both 29x 2.4" on 30mm internal width as well as 27.5x2.6" on 35mm internal width wheels and there is a marked difference. The 2.6" tyres are Bontrager and huge!
    Do you ride the 27.5 with a 29er Fork? Do you mind taking pictures of your "small wheels" setup, especially front of the fork?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sorry for the slow reply, I had to check on the bike.its at 195psi.

Feels very supple and smooth actually. I never ran the RS Monarch Plus on it as I had the X2 waiting for the build. It's more active but lovely and smooth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yup, I run the same fork. 29 Lyrik RCT3.
    I'll take a photo of the set up and post when I get a moment. I find uploading from the phone causes headaches.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Do you ride the 27.5 with a 29er Fork?

I also run the same fork on 27.5--2.8 and 29 the fork I run is a fox 34 came with the bike from jenson

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Sorry for the slow reply, I had to check on the bike.its at 195psi.

Feels very supple and smooth actually. I never ran the RS Monarch Plus on it as I had the X2 waiting for the build. It's more active but lovely and smooth.
    Cool - I'm around the mark then - think I'm running about 180 for approx 32% sag - seems to descend a little better and I'm rarely bottoming it out. I do find myself reaching for the climb switch on long smooth climbs at that setting as theres a little bob - but it rides so well the rest of the time like that its a good trade off.

I thought I might need to upgrade the monarch plus when I bought the frame, and the X2 was on the list, but I've been pretty happy with the monarch plus so far!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Banshee Prime - Monster edition

2018+ Banshee Prime thread-20190117_210902.jpg2018+ Banshee Prime thread-20190117_210919.jpg2018+ Banshee Prime thread-20190117_210929.jpg2018+ Banshee Prime thread-banshee-275-plus-2-point-6.jpg

Here's some pictures of the Bontrager 2.6 tyres on the Hope 35w wheels.
    Hope this helps. (No pun intended!)

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Monarch+ is actually a very good shock. It's very plush I find on the bike and resists bottom out well. It does bob more than the X2 for sure but the 3 position lever quells much of this.

The X2 just doesn't bob at all though and when it works well is sublime. I'm finding that the Monarch+ is opening up and feels better each ride. I have it bang on at 14mm travel on both bikes to be sure of 30% sag.

Either way you're on a winner. :^)

Norūwegr
    What's the recommended fork travel and offset for the Prime these days? 2015 if it matters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I believe it depends on your ride location and goals / preferences. Also, offset is less important than travel, for me at least.

140mm = nimble, agile and a bias towards climbing. Still very capable and composed in descending.

150mm = sweet spot, feels good and balanced for most riding demands and preferences.

160mm = still am exceptional climbing and balanced bike but biased to unrelenting performance downhill.

I'm running 160mm and love it. If starting again I'd run 150mm but 10mm is next to nothing once sag is taken into account.

I tried 140mm and as nice as it was in terms of intimacy and agility, I preferred the higher nose / stack at 160mm as well as the outstanding ride everywhere. Descending is just delightful.
    160mm also meant I could run 27.5x 2.6" tyres without changing the high / low setting.

46mm offset and am super happy with it.

Good luck with your choice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    What's the recommended fork travel and offset for the Prime these days? 2015 if it matters.
    I'm running a Fox 36mm at 150mm with 51mm offest and love it.

I went this was based of Keith @ Banshee's travel recommendation (I already had the Fox 36 in 51mm). He and Jon said the same thing: its the sweet spot for balancing descending and climbing back up - I've taken it to dh shuttle days and didn't feel like I needed the extra 10mm. I've also done afternoons with stacks of climbing (1000m+) and its been a pleasure. Well, as much of a pleasure as climbing ever is

mtbr member
    It all depends on what your riding is like, if it's heavily DH focused, then I'd say 150-160mm, if it's wider based, Trail, DH etc, where climbing is important, then 140-150mm, depending on the fork and the A2C. As to the offset, can't imagine that through some miracle that rec has changed without a geometry change I'm quite happy with mine setup running a 140mm F34 in the middle position, works well climbing and descending and also riding more rolling/pedally sections.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Curious question..
    What would happen if one fit the shock, linkage and rear triangle from a Rune to a Prime?

Would it even fit? Would you get close to the travel of the Rune?
    Using long drop outs would 29" fit?

I'd love to know if anyone has ever tried it...

mtbr member
    I can say for sure that NO it would not fit 29" wheels, the chainstays on the 29ers are longer than the 26"/650B bikes and the 26"/650B bikes use the long drop outs to make them fit 650B, as to the other stuff, not sure if things would line up.

Curious question..
    What would happen if one fit the shock, linkage and rear triangle from a Rune to a Prime?

FM
    mtbr member
    Curious question..

Your chainstays would catch on fire. Duh!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Curious question..

If you want complete lego bikes, GG is the brand for you https://ridegg.com/

Haha, that is an interesting question though, but it seems LyNx is on point that the compact Rune triangle is unlikely to fit our wagon wheels....

Norūwegr
    Thank you for the replies in regards to the offset, will look into it some more since I still got 3,5 months of snow to deal with.

For $166 from CRC I can live with it for a while, crossing my fingers it lasts the season. Means I can spend more on a fork.
    2018+ Banshee Prime thread-0.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow there is some great info in this thread, I came looking for shock recommendations since I finally exploded the cane creek that came with my frameset, looks like the x2 is a good pairing, I might give one a try. Also those blue frames look awesome!

Running a fox 36 in the front that I just dropped from 160 to 150, I have some steep punchy climbs on my local trails and the 160 made it wander way to much.

I started with 27.5+ on my prime for the first few months of owning this frame, and now after having this bike for well over a year my 29 x 2.6 teravails hardly ever come off.

2018+ Banshee Prime thread-img_2684.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bike was running great today! Excited to drop the fork to 150 and see how it does.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Bob View Post
    Wow there is some great info in this thread, I came looking for shock recommendations since I finally exploded the cane creek that came with my frameset, looks like the x2 is a good pairing, I might give one a try. Also those blue frames look awesome!
    Did you consider DVO Topaz? Some good reviews around here. Nice guys to deal with, too.

Nice bike, btw

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    A mate had a topaz on his giant reign and he was super impressed with the topaz. Super easy to work with too

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    anybody else notice a very small notch like feeling on the rock shock around 10% - 15% range when pusing down the saddle. Its not even close to whear sag kicks in and can only be felt on the initial push down of the seat. I just noticed this, I have read in a few places its normal??? never noticed it before though

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    anybody else notice a very small notch like feeling on the rock shock around 10% - 15% range when pusing down the saddle. Its not even close to whear sag kicks in and can only be felt on the initial push down of the seat. I just noticed this, I have read in a few places its normal??? never noticed it before though
    If it's a Monarch, yes. This is the point where the connection between positive and negative chamber become connected through a port.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My Monarch Plus doesn't do that at all. The only time I've had that occur on a shock is when it needs a service. Granted, this has been on Fox.

How many riding hours has the shock had since new / last service?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    My Monarch Plus doesn't do that at all. The only time I've had that occur on a shock is when it needs a service. Granted, this has been on Fox.

How many riding hours has the shock had since new / last service?
    My Monarch does this even fresh serviced. It is pretty common for Monarchs. Mine is a Plus Debonair.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That I did not know. Mine hasn't had many hours on it but hasn't felt notchy at all.

If, "they're all like that sir", is there anything that can be done to improve / remove it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    That I did not know. Mine hasn't had many hours on it but hasn't felt notchy at all.

If, "they're all like that sir", is there anything that can be done to improve / remove it?
    If it is really bad, clean your aircan and especially the ports (compressed air helps). Do only use the specified amount of oil and just a tiny bit of grease for the seals.
    If the ports are plugged with grease it messed up the whole damping and makes you think there is air in the damping circuit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Also check that the notch is not just your derailleur clutch slipping and engaging. Disengage derailleur and check if it still does it.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    great feed back thank you guys.

mtbr member
    I actually had a 2017 rune for a couple months that had a topaz, it felt pretty good.
    Last edited by Pedal Bob; 02-10-2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Updated info

Off the back...
    Another vote here for the DVO Topaz. I liked it much more than the stock Monarch - dramatically more sensitive in the first part of travel, but no hard bottom-out.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I am going to try the fox float dpx2 anyone know the bushing size??

I was told 40x8.....and 20x8 but 19.5x8 might work

I am new to this so just checking if anyone could offer some advice?

thanks

Braaap
    Yes, 8x40mm and 8x20mm. Fox has 8x20mm hardware now which is ideal. Part number 803-03-236.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    Yes, 8x40mm and 8x20mm. Fox has 8x20mm hardware now which is ideal. Part number 803-03-236.
    thank you sir

mtbr member
    I ended up ordering a topaz from dirt merchant yesterday, it was pretty good on the rune frame that I had for a few months, and I didnít adjust it at all, so Iím sure it will be good for the prime. My friend had issues with his topaz but he let me know it was because he damaged the bladder by pumping it up from the purge port! Iíve only seen great things about reliability from other threads, and in his case it was misuse.

Iíll let you know how it works out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I ended up ordering a topaz from dirt merchant yesterday, it was pretty good on the rune frame that I had for a few months, and I didnít adjust it at all, so Iím sure it will be good for the prime. My friend had issues with his topaz but he let me know it was because he damaged the bladder by pumping it up from the purge port! Iíve only seen great things about reliability from other threads, and in his case it was misuse.

I've been running a Topaz on my prime all fall and winter. It's truly a fantastic shock on this bike. Just for setup reference: I ended up with 1 pos ring and 2 neg rings w/ 200psi in the bladder. I'm about 215 with gear. The neg rings help with the initial stroke support (pedal bob) and the bladder pressure creates more support and pop over the entire stroke. Going up to 200 on the bladder really made the bike come 'alive'. It went from a planted feel to a playful pump and jump feel without ruining the small bump sensitivity. I wish I had one of these shocks a long time ago. Puts the CC stuff to shame.

mtbr member
    Finally built.

Me 6'3" 250lb
    2017 Banshee Prime XL w/ reach adjust headset
    Fox DPX2 (eBayed from a Hightower LT)
    Rock Shox Yari w/ 2019 Lyrik 150mm air shaft
    XT shifters/ der w/ XX1 cassette
    Race Face Aeffect 165 cranks w/ 30t Wolf Tooth oval ring
    Zee brakes 203f 180r
    DT 350 hubs w/ Ibis 941 rims
    Maxxis DHF 29X2.6 tires
    OneUp 170mm dropper post

Head angle is at 66 with a BB height of 13.7 in high position.

2018+ Banshee Prime thread-20190221_155421.jpg
    2018+ Banshee Prime thread-20190221_155451.jpg
    2018+ Banshee Prime thread-20190221_155529.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Looking good. I'm keen to hear what you think of the 2.6" tyres on 29". I tried it and found it very draggy on the rear but loved the front.

Good choice on the DPX2, I hear good things about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Finally built.

Me 6'3" 250lb
    2017 Banshee Prime XL w/ reach adjust headset
    Fox DPX2 (eBayed from a Hightower LT)
    Rock Shox Yari w/ 2019 Lyrik 150mm air shaft
    XT shifters/ der w/ XX1 cassette
    Race Face Aeffect 165 cranks w/ 30t Wolf Tooth oval ring
    Zee brakes 203f 180r
    DT 350 hubs w/ Ibis 941 rims
    Maxxis DHF 29X2.6 tires
    OneUp 170mm dropper post

Head angle is at 66 with a BB height of 13.7 in high position.

Name:	20190221_155421.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	328.5 KB 
ID:	1239408

Name:	20190221_155451.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	289.0 KB 
ID:	1239409

Name:	20190221_155529.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	1239410
    those are some beefy tires, you have the long wheel base or short wheel base? I have the rekon 2.6 on mine currently and dont think they look near as wide,ight be knobs or the width of rim, but I am curios to know if you got those bad boys on the short wheel base

mtbr member
    They are on the short wheelbase and the side knobs barely clear the drive side vertical brace. They can stretch a bit wider but if they stretch any taller it may not work.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm 195 lbs. loaded running 235 PSI on my DPX2, no volume spacers, 3 clicks low speed. 15.5 sag.Enjoy

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anyone here running a coil on their prime? Thinking of going that way as my Monarch RC3 Plus is destroyed. Any other shock recommendations? I know Jon loves his X2 (also considering this) and there was a recent vote for a topaz (the only other air shock I'm considering), but had wondered if anyone was getting good results with a coil.

I'm leaning towards a Fox DHX2 with a MRP progressive coil

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Any updates with your topaz? It's pretty high on my list now that I'm looking for a new shocks

Norūwegr
    Any tips for building up the frame?
    Waiting for my fork to return from service and I got everything ready. Will use some leftover AMS protection, scratches won't keep me up at night.

Frame: Prime in medium
    Fork: Pike 140mm, 51mm offset, MRP Ramp cartridge + luftkappe.
    Shock: CC DB Inline (the old untrustworthy one, but it was cheap)
    Seatpost: Oneup 170mm. Will have to lower it somewhat using a shim. Wolftooth lever for Magura brake.

Headset: Slamset upper and nukeproof lower
    Handlebar: RF Sixxc
    Stem: RF Atlas 40mm

Crank: XTR trail 165mm
    Derailleur: XT 11spd
    Cassette: Sunrace 11-46
    Brakes: Magura MT8 rear MT5 front.
    Rotors: Magura Storm 180mm
    Wheelset: Nukeproof Horizon. Quite nice wheelset, very loud hubs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Solid choices on your build. I really feel the set up depends on where you're riding and how. Personally I likes the 140mm f set up but needed it a little higher and slacker for my tastes.

And it rides so very well in low. As you're using 165mm cranks you can go low at 140mm front and not sweat pedal strikes.

And with the One Up post, use a zip tie at the cable joining the post. The rubber ring works but is not very stable I found when installing it. A small / narrow zip tie clipped neat worked a treat.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

mtbr member
    Yup. Use grease where you're sposed to, torque it all up real good, go ride and enjoy yourself Seriously, it's a BAnshee, it's alloy, don't need to worry about scratches and $hit. Please report back on an on-going basis on those wheels, curious if they've fixed their fvcked up freehub design of previous generations that they wouldn't deal/acknowledge warranty wise

Any tips for building up the frame?
    Waiting for my fork to return from service and I got everything ready. Will use some leftover AMS protection, scratches won't keep me up at night...................Wheelset: Nukeproof Horizon. Quite nice wheelset, very loud hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Anyone here running a coil on their prime? Thinking of going that way as my Monarch RC3 Plus is destroyed. Any other shock recommendations? I know Jon loves his X2 (also considering this) and there was a recent vote for a topaz (the only other air shock I'm considering), but had wondered if anyone was getting good results with a coil.

Put a DVO Topaz in my Spitfire, had a Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair before. Topaz totally transformed the bike. Hilarious traction in corners. No more hanging up / spiking in root sections. Brilliant climb mode and jumping feels more predictable (no more kicks from the back at the lip). Plus, you can modify your spring curve using volume spacers easily.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

In the process of building up a brand new Prime for spring.

DVO Diamond 150mm up front.

Canecreek DB coil CS shock for the rear. I wanted the Climb Switch on the spring to tweak the settings easily. I have used canecreek air shocks before and like how their climb switch works much better then a lockout. So decided to get a coil with that.

I looked at the Fox coil as well and also MRP. The new MRP springs looked interesting.

Unfortunately given the weather here in Canada right now will be awhile before I can actually ride it.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Cheers guys. RS ended up offering a crazy cheap monarch plus rc3 debonair so I went that path. Still not sure on the reliability of it, but will see how it goes. DVO will be the go if it needs replacing
    Last edited by michael.c; 1 Week Ago at 10:31 PM.

Norūwegr
    Solid choices on your build. I really feel the set up depends on where you're riding and how. Personally I likes the 140mm f set up but needed it a little higher and slacker for my tastes.

And it rides so very well in low. As you're using 165mm cranks you can go low at 140mm front and not sweat pedal strikes.

And with the One Up post, use a zip tie at the cable joining the post. The rubber ring works but is not very stable I found when installing it. A small / narrow zip tie clipped neat worked a treat.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.
    140 is actually the longest setting that'll allow the mrp and luftkappe to work together so I'm stuck with it for now, but I mostly ride trails so it should suit me just fine I hope.

The tip about the ziptie I will definitely go with, the o-ring solution seems kind of flimsy.

Just based on the mockup I might not have to use a shim at all which is good news. With the post all the way down the logo lined up perfectly, which is ofcourse what all bikers should strive for.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Yup. Use grease where you're sposed to, torque it all up real good, go ride and enjoy yourself Seriously, it's a BAnshee, it's alloy, don't need to worry about scratches and $hit. Please report back on an on-going basis on those wheels, curious if they've fixed their fvcked up freehub design of previous generations that they wouldn't deal/acknowledge warranty wise
    Will do, where the problems you know about for the newest version of Horizons? I believe these ones launched last year. I ran them with a singlespeed cog on my Honzo so they've had their fair share of rough use already. If you squint you'll even see the cog still on there in the pic, I only had time to put a couple of parts together today.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Curious for opinions on 29" or 27 .5 I'm currently running 29" 2.6 and tossing up the idea of 27.5" interested in feel difference and climbing thanks guys

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobike200 View Post
    Curious for opinions on 29" or 27 .5 I'm currently running 29" 2.6 and tossing up the idea of 27.5" interested in feel difference and climbing thanks guys
    I've run mine with both wheel sizes, and with 2.6" front and rear in both configurations too. They're both very good, the 27.5 is predictably more agile and the 29 better for roll over and general trail manners.
    I've found the 2.6 rear in 29" to bed VERY draggy and slow. More so than 27.5 in the same tyre (Bontrager XR4).

It's worth trying and if you want a slightly different experience it does make the bike a changed version of itself.

My preference, and how I have the bike set up is 29" with 2.6f and 2.4". It climbs better in almost all situations.
    Wheels are Nukeproof Horizons 29, and Hope 35w 27.5 on Pro 4 hubs.

Take a look at some of my earlier posts for photos.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast