2016 Banshee Rune V2 - Monarch Plus Issues- Mtbr.com
    mud junkie

Bonking ... not feelin' well 2016 Banshee Rune V2 - Monarch Plus Issues

Hope you can help me! Banshee (Dennis) were kind enough to recommend the ideal RS Monarch Plus shock before i pulled the trigger on a 2016 Rune V2. They told me to get an RS Monarch Plus (RC3) - high volume (not debonair) with an ML tune (medium rebound / low compression). They added that i should put two volume reducer bands off the bat. With this done I need to pump 125psi to achieve 30% sag.

However, I noticed that even on small features (refer to picture below) i would bottom out harshly. Added 2 more volume reducers (then set to 30% sag again) and it still happens. May be some of you are on a Monarch Plus too and can provide inputs? Thank you!

2016 Banshee Rune V2 - Monarch Plus Issues-received_10206213911521300.jpeg

*In case anyone is wondering i did not get a CC DB Air because after-sales service is non-existent where I am at.

mtbr member
    Sorry not a monarch help but i've noticed that I've wanted to get a ilttle more than the recommended 28% sag to get the support I want. Although I'm on a CCDB coil CS, I've also noticed that I've wanted more compression (a lot more) than what the base setting was so, maybe you don't have enough compression from your shock?

Good luck on the ride.

PS I have a 2016 rune too.... does the updated geometry make it a V3? Have fun with her!
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mud junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    Sorry not a monarch help but i've noticed that I've wanted to get a ilttle more than the recommended 28% sag to get the support I want. Although I'm on a CCDB coil CS, I've also noticed that I've wanted more compression (a lot more) than what the base setting was so, maybe you don't have enough compression from your shock?

Good luck on the ride.

PS I have a 2016 rune too.... does the updated geometry make it a V3? Have fun with her!
    Yup that's true I need a LOT more compression. Just want to get an idea of how many bands others are installing to get the feel just right... or perhaps others are doing something else

Banshee said it's still a V2..hehehe
    Last edited by DarKmaN; 11-08-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: add info

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That "smal feature" is just a huck to flat and nothing to set up your suspension for.

mud junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystopism View Post
    That "smal feature" is just a huck to flat and nothing to set up your suspension for.
    Sorry but I had to post something for reference!

mtbr member
    Not a Rune owner and no experience with the Monarch, but curious with the shock set to where it's at, how is the rest of the ride of the bike without leaving the ground, what amount of travel do you use? What I'm getting at is, is it blowing through the travel only on the drops/jumps or on the rough, wheels on the ground stuff or g-outs too?

Curious as my Phantom will regularly go through it's travel and I don't ever feel it, just know when I look at the o-ring and it sits up in it's travel really well, but I don't hit anything bigger than your pic shows and I'm running a X-Fusion 02 RCX with a little oil added to help the bottom out a tad. FYI I only weigh about 175-180lbs geared to ride and I've found running close to my actual body weight nekked is about ideal for the Phantom's suspension curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mud junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Not a Rune owner and no experience with the Monarch, but curious with the shock set to where it's at, how is the rest of the ride of the bike without leaving the ground, what amount of travel do you use? What I'm getting at is, is it blowing through the travel only on the drops/jumps or on the rough, wheels on the ground stuff or g-outs too?

Curious as my Phantom will regularly go through it's travel and I don't ever feel it, just know when I look at the o-ring and it sits up in it's travel really well, but I don't hit anything bigger than your pic shows and I'm running a X-Fusion 02 RCX with a little oil added to help the bottom out a tad. FYI I only weigh about 175-180lbs geared to ride and I've found running close to my actual body weight nekked is about ideal for the Phantom's suspension curve.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes i've noticed the exact same thing too. The monarch Plus will go through it's travel (o-ring about a mm or two from falling of the shaft) even on mild trails with no drops or jumps. I added more volume reducers covering about 80% of the positive chamber (e.g., 7 of 8 bands) and while I was able to run less pressure the same things still happened. Michael from Banshee suggests reducing my sag from 30% to 20%. know that will help obviously but I don't want to lose out on the suppleness of the ride by doing so.

In all perhaps I should've really gotten the DB Air so I can tinker with HSC and LSC... =(

mud junkie
    Okay so I think I made a mistake in the recommended shock specs. Looking at the now available framesets with the Monarch Plus RC3 shock option I can see that the air sleeve is the smallest and not the "high volume" version after all... sucks.. but I guess all i have to do is put as much reducer bands as possible.. might turn out better since i have a bigger negative chamber.. who knows.. =)

2016 Banshee Rune V2 - Monarch Plus Issues-sssss.jpg

mtbr member
    Hi there,the original tunning is MM or ML?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    M/L, it says so in the first post.
    If anyone else has this issue, here is my setup.
    L/L tune, HV can, around 27-28% sag and 6 bands inside if I'm not mistaken. Matches wonderfully MiCo damper in the front with 8/14 clicks of high speed compression.
    Plush with good support, and last 3 or so cm of travel is reserved for "oh Sh!t" moments. And yes, I do get to use all travel but not often.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Rune has an almost linear leverage ratio, it uses all the travel quite easily, which is good for most of the trails, but on medium/hard hits it will bottom-out easily.

mud junkie
    Excellent! Thank you you managed to explain what Banshee couldn't

mtbr member
    Excellent work as usual André

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Banshee recommended me to the L/L tune on the Monarch and it worked well. No bottom out, just run 30% sag. I just had to warranty the shock, and was running a non-debonair prior, and now have a Debonair can. We will see how it works lol
    2019 Knolly Fugitive LT
    2016 Specialized Fuse
    2013 Raleigh RX

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have debonair monarch and have had zero problems. Nothing but smooth and supply and solid support on larger hits.