2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build

Ok. Just got my wheels in and should get the 29x3 chupacabras in this week. Going to see if they will fit with Arc40 rims. I hope they do. Wish me luck. Will update as soon as I try them on. 2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0638.jpg2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0641.jpg2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0640.jpg2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0591.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good lack, man
    Very interested to see result.
    Mine arc40 otw from crc
    My plan is- phantom'15+mrp stage+arc40+DW 3,0"+142x12 650b dropouts.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to this build,

Such a versatile frame.

Just fitted some Schwalbe 29x2.6NN on Asym i35 to my phantom with stock drops.
    Can't wait to rip it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Looking forward to this build,

Such a versatile frame.

Just fitted some Schwalbe 29x2.6NN on Asym i35 to my phantom with stock drops.
    Can't wait to rip it.
    I'm about to head out this morning for the first ride on these same tires on the Phantom..... still not sure how low to take the pressure.

I dig Slow Poke's project. Can't wait to see how it turns out!! Good tire choice, I've got Chupacabras on my Stache, soooo fun.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    Good lack, man
    Very interested to see result.
    Mine arc40 otw from crc
    My plan is- phantom'15+mrp stage+arc40+DW 3,0"+142x12 650b dropouts.
    Thanks. Still waiting on tires. Sounds awesome. Keep us posted. Will have to look for other tires if these don't work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Stopbreakindown and 1x1 pilot let's see some pics!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0070.jpg2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0071.jpg2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0072.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow poke View Post
    Stopbreakindown and 1x1 pilot let's see some pics!!
    Here ya go!! The 2.6 Nics are grippy as h&ll, rode them at 20 PSI, probably should go even lower than that (180-185 lbs. with gear). The real test is after a month or 2, are they still good.

On a side note, this was the first Phantom ride on platforms. After nearly 30 years of riding, I'm making the switch (old guy, just turned 44). The Deity Tmacs are GRIPPY!!

mtbr member
    Interesting projects guys, look forward to reading all your thoughts. I gave 29+ a go on the Phantom very briefly just tooling around and personally didn't like it, also gave B+ a try on the Phantom and did not really like it, still prefer my 29x2.3 on i29 setup for the Phantom - strange thing though is gave the same B+ setup a go on the Prime and it just seemed to work/fit. B+ setup are Pro2/Asym i35 wheels with 2.8" Nobby Nics, Pace Star compound, snake Skin.

Would be very interesting to try some of the 2.6" offerings on the Phantom to see if they are that in between to full PLUS and normal tyres.

1x1 Pilot, good luck with that whole flat pedal thing, I just gave it a go after nearly 13 years clipless and I've got the clipless pedals back on. I just could not get accustomed to not having any float/movement on the flats and having to actually lift your foot to re-position it and also how much more my hamstrings got used trying to also pull up on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Tires should be here soon. Gonna start putting this thing together. Excited!! Updates coming soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0646.jpg  

2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0647.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    ok guys, all set up and dialed in. Brakes might need a tad adjustment. I will post up pics as soon I can.
    The 29"wheels are huge. It is extremely tight and will probably rub with some hard riding but I'm only like 162 and fluctuate to 170. I Have the tires currently at 15 lbs and will adjust. I can tell you that I went for a quick ride on a stache 7 last week and mine today on the same ride. The stache 7 felt heavy- could really feel it on the up hill. this kind of brought me down because I thought it would be worse on the phantom. But I can tell you as soon as I took off I could tell the difference. The thing was definitely faster and felt a whole lot better. Now it's probably the better components I have- hope 4 hubs, one up 32t oval, arc 40 rims. This was the only time I have ridden it, but I am excited about it because it seems to roll pretty quick and faster than the stache. the same incline was made with ease. I kicked it into the 46T but it was extreme overkill. even the gear before that. Cant wait to get on it soon. It did not feel heavy at all. I ran over some things too lol and didn't even notice them. the chupacabras are definitely not for all or most lol as they will probably want no rubbing issues, but the type of riding I do, they seem perfect and it looks and feels like a beast. I do not notice any rubbing but will keep an eye on it. really excited at this point. No need to buy the carbon stache frame at this point and I hope I don't have to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

here are some quick pics

pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0663.jpg  

2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0665.jpg  

2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0664.jpg  

2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0662.jpg  

2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0666.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks good Wow, those Chupas are big? What did you measure them out to? Not sure what the new frames measure, but I know my old one is like 80-82mm at both seat and chainstay areas. That Pike sure has the clearance though, so much different than the normal 29er version which I doubt would clear those tyres at all. Have you managed to take it out for a proper spin yet? Gona guess that once you do, that you'll end up moving a few of those spacers ontop your stem if your saddle is at the correct height in your pics.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They are huge. I was worried there for awhile when I saw them on the stache and Was like no way those will fit. But glad I stuck with them. I have 3 10mm spacers on bottom and two 2 2mm spacers on top. I wanted to keep the steerer tube a little long just in case I moved it to another frame. The seat has to come up about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and maybe move one of those spacers on top. Thanks for the great feed back. I'll try and measure the tire when I get a chance. Do you want width or seat and chain stay? they are currently at 15lbs and has held for three days now. hopefully tomorrow will take it for a good ride.
    Last edited by Slow poke; 03-14-2017 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    I hear you on not wanting to cut the steerer tube too short so you can transfer it maybe later down the road, I do the same and hence most times end up running a flipped stem so I don't have too much steerer sticking up above the top of the stem.

Was just curious how the measurements compared in the seat and chainstays compared to the original, don't think it got any narrower. Put a caliper on the Chupas though, curious what width they're measuring to take up so much room
    They are huge. I was worried there for awhile when I saw them on the stache and Was like no way those will fit. But glad I stuck with them. I have 3 10mm spacers on bottom and two 2 2mm spacers on top. I wanted to keep the steerer tube a little long just in case I moved it to another frame. The seat has to come up about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and maybe move one of those spacers on top. Thanks for the great feed back. I'll try and measure the tire when I get a chance. Do you want width or seat and chain stay? they are currently at 15lbs and has held for three days now. hopefully tomorrow will take it for a good ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    These wheels are huge. Some measurements were at 77 but I'll squeeze it a little to be conservative. It looks like it's going to rub on turns. I can push the tire in and it's rubbing on inside on the left side. Right side is good though. I wish there was a rear end replacement to give it more room. Hopefully ride tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0673.jpg  

2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0674.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I also noticed that my rear wheel is off center a tad to the left is why it rubs on the left there. How would I center that? or maybe just leave it and deal with it that way.

mtbr member
    How much is a "tad"? Sounds like the dish may be off, if it's less than 1/8" I wouldn't worry too much, but if it's causing the tyre to rub, then all it might take is centering to remove the rub. This should get you started if you really want to try and re-dish the wheel, but you'll need a good spoke wrench, don't try to use the one on a multi tool, they are for emergencies only.

If you like to tinker and think you'll be staying with MTBing for a while, then always a good idea to know how to work on your own bike and parts, check out this book for a very thorough guide to wheel building, truing and dishing. Wheelbuilding book for cycle wheels

I also noticed that my rear wheel is off center a tad to the left is why it rubs on the left there. How would I center that? or maybe just leave it and deal with it that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    thanks, yes it is about 1/8th. very small but just enough to rub on left when pressure is applied. Right side looks great. lol. I will ride it and see how it goes. Thanks for the book.

mtbr member
    So, update us, what's the verdict with this setup, is it working or are those tyres too big?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    So, update us, what's the verdict with this setup, is it working or are those tyres too big?
    Straight line is great! Turns and curves can hear it rub on the left lower rear inner chain stay. Not a feasible set up if your racing or doing some heavy riding as the rubbing is there. I've been out a few times and the setup is fine for me as I don't do anything extreme. I'm thinking of putting on 29x3 pantaracers as they are a lil narrower. Man if I could just have 1/8 of an inch more it would have been perfect. I need a good tire just a lil narrower.

mtbr member
    Well, you could take alook at the CST BFT 3.0", which in fact is more like a 2.75". So far can't find it in folding bead like I was told it would be produced along with wire, but it's a tough as nails tyre with good tread and cheap as hell. Wouldn't go for the FBN, not unless you ride very groomed trails, just too whimpy casing.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...l#post13093293
    https://www.amazon.com/Cst-Premium-T.../dp/B01K86SR2S

Straight line is great! Turns and curves can hear it rub on the left lower rear inner chain stay. Not a feasible set up if your racing or doing some heavy riding as the rubbing is there. I've been out a few times and the setup is fine for me as I don't do anything extreme. I'm thinking of putting on 29x3 pantaracers as they are a lil narrower. Man if I could just have 1/8 of an inch more it would have been perfect. I need a good tire just a lil narrower.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks, good find! Cant believe the price- just paid 200 for these chupacabras - ugh! well at least I contributed to research on 150mm. lol. Gonna pick up a stache as my backup and will at least have an extra set of tires. I'll let you know how these fit with some pics and measurements on a arc40.

Well, you could take alook at the CST BFT 3.0", which in fact is more like a 2.75". So far can't find it in folding bead like I was told it would be produced along with wire, but it's a tough as nails tyre with good tread and cheap as hell. Wouldn't go for the FBN, not unless you ride very groomed trails, just too whimpy casing.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...l#post13093293
    https://www.amazon.com/Cst-Premium-T.../dp/B01K86SR2S

mtbr member
    Just know, they are not the lightest, but that was never an issue for me with them. Look forward to hearing your thoughts, my Prime with B+ was enough monster truck for me, can't imagine if I put 29+ on there
    Thanks, good find! Cant believe the price- just paid 200 for these chupacabras - ugh! well at least I contributed to research on 150mm. lol. Gonna pick up a stache as my backup and will at least have an extra set of tires. I'll let you know how these fit with some pics and measurements on a arc40.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just know, they are not the lightest, but that was never an issue for me with them. Look forward to hearing your thoughts, my Prime with B+ was enough monster truck for me, can't imagine if I put 29+ on there
    went for a good ride today- felt like i was riding in a cadillac! - just irks me that that it's rubbing there but it didn't have any type of negative impact that i could see or feel. They handled everything in their path very well. are you running 27.5+ or 29s on your phantom?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Phantom 29+ 150x12 build-img_0687.jpg  

mtbr member
    On my Phantom I tried B+ 2.8" Nobby Nics and did not like them, sticking to 29x2.3" rubber for now, however did also try the NN on the Prime and it seemed to "work" with it, really enjoyed it, guess maybe because the Prime already feels like a Caddy/tank with regular 29ers, so these just added to the monster truck feel .

went for a good ride today- felt like i was riding in a cadillac! - just irks me that that it's rubbing there but it didn't have any type of negative impact that i could see or feel. They handled everything in their path very well. are you running 27.5+ or 29s on your phantom?