mtbr member

2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal

This is my 2015 Banshee Phantom Build journal. I like to create a record of my build to go back and see what I have done and provide a reference for others who might find it useful. Some of this information shows up in a few other threads in the Banshee forum. I will come back and record ride experiences, component changes and feedback.

Last week, this....
    2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-2-rip9-right-2.jpg
    (27.5 Plus wheels)

turned into this....
    2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-2015-banshee-phantom-right-side-plis-tires.jpg
    (27.5 Plus wheels)

With this option.
    2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-2015-banshee-phantom-right-side-large.jpg
    (29 Wheels)

Build Spec:
    Frame: 2015 Banshee Phantom, Large
    Fork: Pushed Fox CTD 140mm
    Rear Shock: Fox DPX2 184mmx45mm
    Wheelset: Hope Hubs, WTB Scraper 27.5, 40mm rims, Sapim DB Black
    Spokes, 12mm Black nipples, Tubeless setup, Milkit Stems
    Front Tire: Maxxis DHF 2.8
    Rear Tire: Maxis DHR 2.8
    Handlebars: Azonic Agile 780mm
    Grips: Raceface Lock on
    Stem: Azonic 45mm
    Headset: Works Component -1 degree (HA=65.2)
    Seatpost: Fox Transfer 100mm Drop, External
    Shifter: Shimano XT 1x11 speed
    Rear derailleur: Shimano XT 11 speed Long cage
    Cassette: Shimano HGX 11 speed 11-42T
    Chain: Shimano HGX 11 Speed
    Brake levers: Shimano XT M8000
    Brakes: Shimano XT M8000
    Rotors: Shimano Ice 180mm front, 180mm rear
    Crankset: Shimano XT 170mm, OnOne 32T Chain ring
    Saddle: Specialized Phenom, 130mm
    Pedals: Blacklabel
    Weight: 32.7 lbs

I wanted a 27.5 Plus bike and I just needed a place to start. I picked the Niner and built it up last year (there are some build notes in the Niner forum here). It was fun, but I quickly figured out what I was missing: reach was only 400mm (medium frame-with 18" seat post), would only take a straight shock and even with the -1 angle set did not have the HA I wanted. With that data and google search I arrived at Banshee. Initially, I wanted a Prime, but an opportunity to have two bikes came up and I wanted them to be different. That lead to the Phantom.

I found the Phantom frame on PB. It was in immaculate shape for a good price. The frame came with a CC DB Inline; everything I read about the shock was good...when it worked. I am a fan of reliability and Fox has always been good to me. I swapped all the parts off the Niner with the addition of the Fox DPX2 shock. The build was finished on March 28, 2018.

I have had about 4 rides on it so far and I am thrilled. The Phantom has 20mm less rear travel but you wouldn't know but the way it rides. Really point and shoot performance, the forward seating position over the bottom bracket really improves pedal power, it tracks really well, is a great climber, most of all, it kills the descents.

Many thanks to posters here who have answered questions over the last few months and who have shared their experiences with Banshee Phantoms.

Super thrilled to join the Banshee clan!!

Banshee: 2015 Phantom-L

Guerrilla Gravity: Shred Dogg-M

mtbr member
    Looks good. Once you have some miles under you belt post up your impressions of the 27.5 plus vs the 29 wheels.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Phantom is one of my favorite bikes of all time.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Nice build!

mtbr member

Update: 2.5 Months in

The Phantom with 29s is fast, really fast. I am amazed at how noticeably fast it is. I rode the 29s for a month and then I have been switching off. I like them both, but the 29 wheel are so much fun. The 140 front 100 rear works well for this bike. I haven't felt like bottomed out the shock or pushed the rubber gauge off the rear shaft yet. The size is perfect as well. The long travel lets me brake early and harder without losing front wheel traction; gives me lots of confidence at speed. This is one of the best fitting/riding bikes I have ever owned (note: Serendipity brought me a Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg a month after I built this Phantom. It too is a great bike and a perfect complement to the Phantom).

My best mods have been a seat bag I modified to fit in the frame and adding a Fabric water bottle. The mounts are under frame and I was skeptical that I could keep the bottle mouth clean. But a trip through my kitchen produced a cheap grocery store plastic container that pressure fit perfectly over the top of the Fabric. I upgraded the dropper to an Fox Transfer Internal with 125mm drop instead of an eternal 100mm. Might see fastidious but the extra 25mm and the shorter head area give me about 40mm of seat drop. See pics below.

2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-phantom-right-side-fabric.jpg

2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-phantom-fabric-close-up.jpg

2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-fabric-cap.jpg

mtbr member
    I signed up for the 2019 BCBR. I am planning on riding my Phantom.

I would appreciate any feedback from folks who have ridden their Banshee in the BCBR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have ridden my phantom in a number of the areas the BCBR goes through. The phantom will be a blast. It is perfectly designed for the task, unless you are of the weight weenie mindset. Other companies are now starting to make bikes with similar geometries with carbon frames every since the 'down country' term became popular.

The descents can be quite technical with lots of rocks and roots. I would suggest a strong wheelset and mid weight tires like the set up you have pictured.

Other than that, make sure you're fit to handle 6 or 7 long days and have the skills to have fun on the descents.

mtbr member
    Chris,
    Thank you very much for the input. I am not a weight weenie. The most important and attainable weight savings is off me, not the bike. My current 29 wheel set is an OEM take-off, Origin 8, AL rim, I got for a great deal from a friend. I am considering running my 27.5 plus wheels instead of the 29s - thoughts on that?

I am riding on a team of two; my partner is the fitness guru, I am the bike guy. He is building our fitness training plan, I have a ridding plan to work on skills. We will be ready for the ride when it comes.

Are you local to the Vancouver area?

Ted

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ted,

I am born and raised in Vancouver, but living in Calgary. My parents now live in Courtenay, a short 10 min drive from cumberland. I have ridden in BC and the island a lot.

I have never ridden 27.5 wheels of any kind. I can't give you an unbiased answer on wheel size

My best advice is to use what you are comfortable with and will fit your fitness and skills for the race. If you're very fit and very skilled, lighter XC tires may make sense. If you're lacking a in either, adjust your tire choice accordingly.

mtbr member
    Chris,
    My wife and I honeymooned on Vancouver Island 23 years ago. I have always wanted to go back to there. So, very much looking forward to riding the BCBR.

I will stick with the most reliable tires I can bring with me. And the wheel size will sort itself out between now and the race.

Thank you again for your input.

Ted

mtbr member

Fall 2018 Updates

Nothing sits still, certainly not MTBs....entropy is a killer....so here are my latest upgrades to the Phantom:

Mud Guards
    2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-dropper-post-fender-1.jpg
    It has been super rainy/muddy on the east coast so I had to come up with a mud guard for my dropper.

2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-dropper-post-fender-2.jpg
    Seat Up

2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-dropper-post-fender-3.jpg
    Seat Down-works as advertised.

Rear Wheel Mud Guard
    2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-banshee-rear-fender-1.jpg
    Kinda close.....so

Dropout Replacement
    2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-banshee-27.5-dropouts-1.jpg
    27.5 Dropouts to replace the stock dropouts. They are 10mm longer and therefore increase the wheel base and push the rear wheel back in the rear triangle. I wanted more space in the rear triangle to run bigger tires and still have clearance for mud.

2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-banshee-dropout-comparrison.jpg
    Comparison. 27.5 on the left, stock 29 on the right.

2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-banshee-rear-fender-4.jpg
    Ahhh......much better.

Up front...SQLabs 30x 12 degree sweep bar
    2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-sqlabs-30x-front.jpg

2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-sqlabs-30x-12d-top-view.jpg
    On long rides my wrists get sore. I thought I would experiment with a bar with more sweep. Most handlebars have 4-9 degrees of sweep. SQLabs was the most available and easiest to buy. Price was ok, shipping free-easy buy.

Conclusion:
    The mud guards make riding this season much better, less mud on me, easier to clean and a little less impact on bearings and moving surfaces.

The dropouts work for me, the slightly longer wheel base, particularly with the rear wheel push back a bit gives some stability to climbing and easier as well.

The SQLabs 12 degree sweep is up from 8 degree sweep on my Spank Spoon bar. It feels good around the block, need more time to see if comfort in my wrists improves.

2015 Banshee Phantom Build Journal-banshee-phantom-2015-right-side-rear-quarter.jpg

mtbr member
    Will be interested to hear your thoughts on that bar, as I tried the alu 11 degree version and compared to my regular 9 degree bar, really could not feel any difference. just recently ordered the 16 degree to see how that goes on my rigid.

As to the longer drop outs, just actually ran them last weekend on my Prime for roughly the same reason since it's rainy season here and worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket88R View Post
    Nothing sits still, certainly not MTBs....entropy is a killer....so here are my latest upgrades to the Phantom: Up front...SQLabs 30x 12 degree sweep bar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SQLabs 30X 12d top view.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	455.3 KB 
ID:	1227704

On long rides my wrists get sore. I thought I would experiment with a bar with more sweep. Most handlebars have 4-9 degrees of sweep. SQLabs was the most available and easiest to buy. Price was ok, shipping free-easy buy........................The SQLabs 12 degree sweep is up from 8 degree sweep on my Spank Spoon bar. It feels good around the block, need more time to see if comfort in my wrists improves.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Ive been running the SQ lab 16 degree bars for a while now and notice the difference on my bike that does not have them.
    I have them on my Prime just put them on the phantom and will be putting them on my Marin too soon I reckon

mtbr member
    Which version do you have carbon or alu? If you've got alu, curious to see how you have them setup/oriented, as I've tried mine rotated all different ways and just honestly can only feel a minor difference at most compared to my regular 9 dgeree bars, expected a few degrees would feel massively different.

Quote Originally Posted by I Like Dirt View Post
    Ive been running the SQ lab 16 degree bars for a while now and notice the difference on my bike that does not have them.
    I have them on my Prime just put them on the phantom and will be putting them on my Marin too soon I reckon
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Which version do you have carbon or alu? If you've got alu, curious to see how you have them setup/oriented, as I've tried mine rotated all different ways and just honestly can only feel a minor difference at most compared to my regular 9 dgeree bars, expected a few degrees would feel massively different.
    Yeah mines Alloy.
    No carbon in my fleet.
    16 degree low rise on my Phantom mid rise on the prime
    With 16 deg there is a definite difference.
    I get a bit of carpel tunnel numbness in my right had and I think it helps this a bit
    Im also running ErgonGA3 grips