2014 Phantom Shock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

2014 Phantom Shock

Whats the next best shock for this bike besides the CCDB?
    The new fox DPS looks pretty good but does it work on the Phantom ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What are you looking for in a different shock for the phantom? Serviceability? Tune?

I'm currently using the new cc dbinline and I have been wondering how the manitou mcleod would be on my phantom. I picked up a rockshox monarch but the tune is L/L and I'm not sure if I should be changing the tune to a M/M as that's what I think was spec'd for the suspension or my rider weight at 220. The monarch is also a longer shock and I'm not sure if the change in leverage ratio (which should get more progressive) makes a difference on which tune I should be using.

I do like the cc and the ability to tune the feel of it so easily, but I'd rather have a shock I can service at home.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Banshee Phantom-Fox DPX2

My Fox DPX2

2014 Phantom Shock-2015-banshee-phantom-shock-close-up.jpg

My Phantom came with a CCDB. I did a lot of review of the CCDB; most everyone thinks it is a great shock when it works. I don't doubt that, but reliability is a big factor for me.

While the frame was inbound to me, I ordered a Fox DPX2 in the stock size (184x45). I have always had good performance and reliability from Fox shocks. It wasn't cheap ($525) but it has a good range of Compression and Rebound adjustment and three ride positions for the compression, Open, Medium and Firm. I am easily able to set up the shock to work well for me and I can retune on the trail with the 3 position lever.

I will put the CCDB on for a few rides and try it out just to see how it fairs against Fox.

Banshee: 2015 Phantom-L

Guerrilla Gravity: 2018 Shred Dogg-M

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket88R View Post
    I will put the CCDB on for a few rides and try it out just to see how it fairs against Fox.
    Well, what'd you figure out?

mtbr member
    The CCDB works well in the two modes it has: 1) firm and 2) what ever you tuned it to be. It is very adjustable with HC/LC and HR/LR and I played around with it some. I could tell after a few clicks that it was different. I adjusted the CCDB more to get the same performance as Fox. The Fox doesn't seem to need a lot of adjustment to work well for me. I like the three position switch on the Fox: Open, Medium and Firm. The volume reducer process for the CCDB is a bit fiddly and requires removal of the shock where the Fox is simple and easy enough to do trail side. I did not ride on any long downhill trails on the CCDB so I can't say if it suffers from overheating or not. I have ridden the Fox on long rides with lots of downhill and it works like a champ.

I think the CCDB is really a great shock to come stock with the Banshee Phantom. It is way better than a lot of RS and even lower end Fox shocks I have had with other frames. The increase performance (easy to set up/easy to change volume adjuster/performance remains after prolonged use) of the Fox DPX2 is worth the cost to me.

Banshee: 2015 Phantom-L

Guerrilla Gravity: 2018 Shred Dogg-M