2014 - Banshee Rune - play in frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

2014 - Banshee Rune - play in frame

Hi all

I recently had some play in my frame, i located it to be the top linkage nearest to the rear of the shock. Today i totally stripped the frame cleaned all the bearing races and installed new ones as well as new bushings and mount kit to my rear shock and yet there is still play in exactly the same place......?
    The axle that goes through both bearings doesn't show much wear but i did notice that when taking out the old bearings, they pretty much fell out of the races which was worrying as all the others were nice and snug.
    anybody else had this happen to there Runes? Any advice on what i should do? I'm the original owner but not sure if this can be dealt with under warranty.
    cheers in advance

Rich

mtbr member
    There's the same problem happening on the spitfire on another thread. I think the most relevant post I saw was the fact that the bolt on the none drive side is actually the same size as the inner race and the aluminum washer is deforming.

Next chance I get I need to take that bolt off and go down to the hardware store and try to find a steel washer and bolt to replace what's there...
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Did your bolts come loose at any time since you owned the bike? That could maybe lead to this happening, but highly doubt it, more than likely the bearing seats are a bit bigger than they should be. Not sure how long you've actually owned the frame and/or how long it's had the play, but there's 2 solutions...1 is to have it dealt with under warranty if it's still within the warranty period or 2 is to thoroughly clean out the seats and then use some bearing mount for worn parts when you re-install the new bearings, should set and stop any play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Same issue on my 2-month old 2016 Rune, but it's in the bearings of the lower pivot in the rear triangle.

I started to notice lots of creaks when pedalling out of saddle and when I finally narrowed it down, I found I was able to move the axle from side to side by around 1mm. Both bearings come out of the frame by hand without any effort at all.

It's being dealt under warranty, but I'll have to wait to know what's the final verdict.

LyNx is right. The only 2 solutions are a warranty or glued bearings.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC to whining spammer
    Don't let the nose of your saddle hit you in the @#!#X on the way out.

mtbr member
    Actually there is a 3rd solution, but it would be quite expensive to get done - that would be to have a machine shop mill out the seat and then mill and press in a new seat.

Quote Originally Posted by amrgb View Post
    LyNx is right. The only 2 solutions are a warranty or glued bearings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for all your replies! i tightened the bolt up slightly over the torque setting suggested and while it did solve it after todays ride its happening all over again. I'm gonna go down the warranty route see where thats gets me. If they can send me a new rear end, great if not then ill just have to go down the bearing mount for worn parts route. Slightly annoyed about it if I'm honest as I've always maintained this bike incredibly well so something like this would happen.........
    i'll let you know the outcome when its all sorted.
    Cheers again!

Out of curiosity, how many times have you replaced your bearings?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    roughly around 3 times per year, bushings as soon as needed. Its been fine all the way up until now. I've contacted ion distribution about it just got to wait and hear back.

I may be completely wrong, but maybe the bearing seats wear out a little bit whenever you change bearings. If you started with slightly out of spec bearing seats you could get to the point where they just fall off in two years.

To be honest, I'm underwhelmed with the bearing system in our Runes. They take quite substantial side loads (when pedalling hard, when leaning the bike and when passing through a root or a rock at an oblique angle) without any support other than what comes from a tight fit of the bearing in the frame. For example, the bearings (at least in my frame) do not bottom out on the frame bearing seat. I imagine that, over time, those loads will tend to wear the interface between the bearing and the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    You could be onto something there matey! i've replaced bearings in all my bikes for many years now and have a very handy bearing press. I only ever clean the races slightly to remove contaminants, regrets and install new ones of good quality. The races them selves have now gouge marks from mis-alignment and some still have some over spray from the time the frame was first sprayed. i really do hope that the races aren't slightly distorted from, like you say, side loads.......... worst comes to worst i'll just have to use that bearing mount for worn parts stuff : (

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    I think the most relevant post I saw was the fact that the bolt on the none drive side is actually the same size as the inner race and the aluminum washer is deforming....
    That is just straight-up over-tightening. 5nm is not a lot of torque (similar to turning the key in your car ignition).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    apart from the ride I've just been on i've never overtightened any bolts as i own a torque wrench and all the bolts have their torque settings printed on them : )