Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526
Results 2,501 to 2,538 of 2538

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Samos View Post
    I asked Banshee guys a few years ago about some advice for changing my rear shock. Here the answer from Dennis @ Banshee :

"I still think the DBair cs is the best shock for the Spitfire. A little heavy but it make up for it in performance. If you do decide to go with a monarch plus you’ll need to get the shock in low compression, medium rebound, low volume air can with x2 volume spacers."

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    How do you fit the volume reducer bands to the low volume can? I thought they are only used on the debonair can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hurck View Post
    How do you fit the volume reducer bands to the low volume can? I thought they are only used on the debonair can.
    No idea, this is just the answer I received.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Replaced my bottom bearings using a 120mm M12 bolt and M12 washers, which fit the outer bearing race perfectly. One tip is to have the lower link in position when you press in the new bearings so that you get everything matching up when you bolt it all back together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    After some browsing I'll go the DIY way. I saw a lo of videos, seems to be ok.

Here a Pic of my Spit. Yesterday I had enough time to crank a little up and down.

Look at Sam Os on Strava.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Giving the Spitfire a break while pushing up to 12,500ft ;-)

2013 Spitfire-sep12-canyon-creek-6.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
    Giving the Spitfire a break while pushing up to 12,500ft ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep12-canyon-creek-6.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	1159544
    Nice picture cooldaddy. Mine was not enough in the mountains this year.

mtbr member
    Mammoth Mountain bike park.

2013 Spitfire-img_20170918_124927373.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    After some browsing I'll go the DIY way. I saw a lo of videos, seems to be ok.

Here a Pic of my Spit. Yesterday I had enough time to crank a little up and down.

Look at Sam Os on Strava.
    I always thought those red Spitfires were the business! Nice looking ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    I always thought those red Spitfires were the business! Nice looking ride.
    I swapped the CCDB Air for a Manitou McLeod. Awesome. Hope to ride it in the Alps before October.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey Spitfire owners! I'm riding mine un thé slack position for two years now. But as winter is coming slowly, my rides will tend to more xc-trail than usual, and that's why i'm thinking setting it in the middle position.
    Do you guys have seen any real world difference between the two positions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    1500m D+ and D- in neutral position. I’m not sure if that make a big difference uphill. Downhill it’s ok. More tight turns than long Mach speed turns.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey Spitfire owners! I'm riding mine un thé slack position for two years now. But as winter is coming slowly, my rides will tend to more xc-trail than usual, and that's why i'm thinking setting it in the middle position.
    Do you guys have seen any real world difference between the two positions?

Neutral setting improves tight cornering, slack improves high speed cornering. It's noticeable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Give it some mud

Give it some love !

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey guys and girls, just want to let you know that I have a V1 27.5 12 X 142 drop out kit for sale. Pm me for info!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Do you mean V2.0?
    The original V1 was 26" open 135mm non-modular dropout only.

I'm after some 650b dropouts for my V2.1 but I'm guessing it would cost too much to ship to NZ.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AssPav View Post
    Do you mean V2.0?

I'm after some 650b dropouts for my V2.1 but I'm guessing it would cost too much to ship to NZ.
    These are the drop out I am selling. They are called v1 as they were first gen of the modular drop out bikes. PM me your infos and I'll look for a shipping rate!

mtbr member
    Are they the 3 position or 2 position ones? 3 position are V1, 2 position are V2. V1 was available as normal 135x10 vertical, 142x12 TA for all bikes to fit their native wheelsize, 26" for Spityy/Rune and 29" for Prime/Phantom, 142x12 TA LONG, which let the Spitfire/Rune run 650B or the Prime/Phantom run 29+.

Suggest you contact the Banshee dealer in NZ and get them directly from them, they're in Aukland.

3Sixty Sports
    30 Ruawai Road, Auckland, New Zealand
    Info@3sixtysports.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd View Post
    Hey guys and girls, just want to let you know that I have a V1 27.5 12 X 142 drop out kit for sale. Pm me for info!

Quote Originally Posted by AssPav View Post
    Do you mean V2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd View Post
    These are the drop out I am selling. They are called v1 as they were first gen of the modular drop out bikes. PM me your infos and I'll look for a shipping rate!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Are they the 3 position or 2 position ones? 3 position are V1, 2 position are V2. V1 was available as normal 135x10 vertical, 142x12 TA for all bikes to fit their native wheelsize, 26" for Spityy/Rune and 29" for Prime/Phantom, 142x12 TA LONG, which let the Spitfire/Rune run 650B or the Prime/Phantom run 29+.
    I'm selling the V1, which has three positions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Info above is all good. Thanks for chiming in guys.

For the record, we refer to them as generation1, and generation 2 dropouts... V1 and V2 would cause confusion.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post

3Sixty Sports
    30 Ruawai Road, Auckland, New Zealand
    Info@3sixtysports.co.nz
    Thanks, I've been meaning to give Bruce a call for a while.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yesterday was 4 years to the day I built my second Spitfire, I had the generation prior too.
    Still loving it.
    Other brands may have caught up but nothing's caught my eye to ever replace it.
    (Maybe that ridiculous new Evo Stumpy?)
    Had been having issues for a few months with the top frame pivot having wiggle room even with the correct torque on the bolt.
    Turns out it was bottoming out so just added a washer and she's tight once again.

I was riding out of town on the Easter break and bumped into a family out riding in the same area.
    Turns out the boy was sitting on my old Gen 1 Spitty that I sold those 4 years ago.
    He was stoked to see not only 1 but 2 other Spitfires in the same place.
    I was just happy to see how much he loved riding his bike and seeing how hard it can still go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

30km, 1270m, Nice views and singletracks !

mtbr member
    Big tree...

2013 Spitfire-img_0031.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Big tree...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	278.8 KB 
ID:	1204348
    Very nice and i really like this color.

This week I went for a nice ride in the Alps. Some pics here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New question here.

Don't know if I'll get an answer here, but I try....

As you can see looking the last 20 posts, I've got a 2013 Spitfire. As it is now, and for different reasons (but who need excuses), I'm looking to change my bike. Or at least my frames. Lots of considerations, discussions with ride buddies, discussion with myself while driving..... and my conclusion is, as it is every time I ride my Spitty, what a hell of a damn' bike ! Why try to change to a Canyon Spectral, a YT Jeffsy or something comparable. I changed a lot of equipment of my Spitfire, looking at the best part I can get for the money, or the parts I like the most, or.... It's just a bike built as I want it. And I love riding it. For one hour on home trails (very XCish) or for a complete day in the Alps ! Love it. Damn' I Love it !

The question is now. Are the modifications made to the last Spitfire iterations worth the change ? I tried to find out the differences and as I'm running mine with 26'' dropouts and 27.5'' wheels, it can be a bit tricky. Oh yeah, mine is an S size, but as I'm 1m70 with something like 80+ cm inseam, a size M would be better (with a very short stem). I had a look at the geometry an it seam the differences are very small. What's about the weight ?
    It accepts now 2.6 tires and is available with boost dropouts. It was 2.5 tires and no boost on mine.

What do you think ? If you Keith could also help me, would be nice....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've got a 2014 Spitty in small.
    You're 7cm taller than me but 3cm shorter than my mate on medium 2017 frame.
    You'd be better off on a medium in my opinion.
    I wouldn't bother buying boost, unless it's cheaper to sell your old components.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks!

If I go for a 2018 frame, I would stick to the 142x12 dropouts. I have a nice pair of hand built wheels.

mtbr member
    I don't think the geo has changed too drastically from the 2013 to 2017. The reach increased by like 3mm and the STA got slightly steeper. Not sure you'll really notice those changes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You are right, such small changes.... I don't know if Banshee didn't changed something at the suspension curves etc... it seems to me, if I seen it correctly, they are now advising for a different sag than before. Would be nice to here from Keith here.

I weighed mine just now : 14.2 Kg / almost 31 lbs

Frame : 2013 Sptifire, Size S, painted
    Wheels T 240s hubs - DT XM401 rims (don't remember the spokes)
    Tires : Front Continental Der Baron / Rear Maxxis Grippin DD
    Fork : Manitou Mattoc
    Shock : Manitou McLeod
    Frankebrakes : Fr XT with Zee rear XT
    Transmission : 11spd XT with 11-46 sunrise cassette.
    Cranks : XT
    Dropper : Reverb
    Stem : Truvativ AKA (I could change this for something nicer thus...)
    Bar : Renthal Fatbar carbon
    Pedals : Hope flats

mtbr member
    Samos, nothing has changed with regards to the Reach or Stack, the HTA now only has 2 positions 66 & 66.5*, the STA has been steepened from 71.5/72/72.5 to 74.5/75*, Chainstays have been shortened from 433/437 to 426/428. Other than that the frame tubing itself got some tweaks, mainly the top tube and gusset to ST are all one now, in total the newer frames lost about a 1/2lb I think it was depending on which one you have because of the new hydro-forming and few other tweaks. Posting both geo charts below so you can check for yourself.

Personally, unless you have a problem with an area they changed (biggest being the STA for climbing), can't think I'd want to be upgrading to the new one if you're currently happy with yours. Best to try and get a test ride and see how you like the new one.

2013 Spitfire-spitfire-geo-chart-2017.jpg

2013 Spitfire-spitfire-geo-chart-2013.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks LyNx, exactly what I was thinking. Maybe get some new parts and tweak some little things. I changed all the suspension bearings at the beginning of the year. A new pair of wheels ? No. New brakes ? No. New transmission. Maybe. could be something. But happy with my XT. New crankset ? A pretty expensive and light one.... Hmmmm That could be nice. And new clothes, because that's what I miss the most now.

mtbr member
    My thoughts, maybe pick up a set of the 650B drop outs, that should give you the ability to run wider tyres than you currently can, increase in CS length will help climbing, the steeper the more you'll notice it.

New wheels are always nice, especially if you had some lighter weight alloy (flexy) or narrow rims, and looking at your pic you've got the XM401s which are only 22.5mm internal, so going to a i30 rim would increase support for your current tyres and should then let you run lower pressures for better grip. So, maybe not even new wheels if you like your current hubs (not sure if that's a complete DT wheelset), so could just do a rim swap. OR get the new wheels and have 2 sets, one with wider, burlier tyres for more AM days and the narrower set with narrower, lighter weight tyres for XC days - you'd be amazed at how much a wheelset/tyre change, can change how a bike feels and handles.

Thanks LyNx, exactly what I was thinking. Maybe get some new parts and tweak some little things. I changed all the suspension bearings at the beginning of the year. A new pair of wheels ? No. New brakes ? No. New transmission. Maybe. could be something. But happy with my XT. New crankset ? A pretty expensive and light one.... Hmmmm That could be nice. And new clothes, because that's what I miss the most now.
    Last edited by LyNx; 4 Days Ago at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    I will second LyNx’s suggestions and add this; consider upgrading your fork and shock. I ride a 2015 Phantom with a Fox 34 and a 2018 Fox DPX2. The late model (2016 and newer Fox forks are really nice. I can’t say enough about the DPX2-it is a fantastic shock that works really well with my Phantom. Easy to adjust, easy to change volume spacers, just all around a great shock. That with really transform your bike and make it feel really new.

Banshee: 2015 Phantom-L

Guerrilla Gravity: Shred Dogg-M

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks guys,
    Gonna stick with my Mattoc on front. Not the more rigid, but top in term of control and easy to service.
    For the shock, this could be a way to improve. But I'm not sure I need better than the McLeod for 80% of my rides. I had a CCDB air and I must say, in almost every situation, the McLeod is as good as it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The most significant changes in this time are:
    - New custom hydroformed tubesets to make the bike lighter and stronger.
    - Geometry changes, lots of little tweaks. The biggest of which is a significantly lower BB as the geometry switched from being 26" focused to being more 650b focused, so BB dropped by 7mm. Also the effective seat angle got a bit steeper.
    - Linkage was reworked a bit to make the bike a bit more supple at start of travel with better bottom out resistance. Not radically different, just tweaked again.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.