• yes

12 41.38%
  • dont care

10 34.48%
  • no

7 24.14%
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm 150mm Dropout for 2017 Banshee frames (mostly Prime)

Is there any interest for 150mm Dropout for 2017 Banshee frames (mostly Prime)?

As i have some quality hubs and wheelsets in 150mm/12 that i dont want to throw away it would be very cool from banshee to manufacture these dropouts.

Somehow i am super-bummed by all these new standards, even with 148 boost and 157 boost + from pivot a new hub could be useless in the next years. (And hope is trying to get another route on their frame prototype )
    In former times i bougth some 150/12 and 110/20 hubs and was happy to switch them between my dh bike and my trail bike..

Thank you Tom

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sometimes dropouts/frames are a few mm wider than the hub and between 148 and 150 are just 2 mm difference so maybe a boost 148 dropout will fit for 150 too? If not, what about doing some modification of the 148 dropouts? I think it will be no problem to remove 1 mm on each side...

Quote Originally Posted by teatimetom View Post
    Is there any interest for 150mm Dropout for 2017 Banshee frames (mostly Prime)?

As i have some quality hubs and wheelsets in 150mm/12 that i dont want to throw away it would be very cool from banshee to manufacture these dropouts.

Somehow i am super-bummed by all these new standards, even with 148 boost and 157 boost + from pivot a new hub could be useless in the next years. (And hope is trying to get another route on their frame prototype )
    In former times i bougth some 150/12 and 110/20 hubs and was happy to switch them between my dh bike and my trail bike..

Thank you Tom

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i am not shure if this route will work as they moved brake caliper and chain line out, so possible you have to fiddle with disc alignment and poor shifting?

150mm Dropout for 2017 Banshee frames (mostly Prime)-p5pb13538807.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Chainline: Is there a difference in chainline if Banshee is offering 150 mm dropouts or if you modify 148 boost dropouts? In my eyes - no.

Brake disk: I don't know if the position of the brake disc is different for 148 or 150 mm hubs. If it's different it would be good to know how much, because there are some available solutions to move the brake caliper or the disc for some mm and usually you have room to move the caliper by 1-2 mm (like caliper alignment).

For example this solution moves the disc and/or caliper by 3 mm to use a 142 rear whell in a boost 148 frame:

UN-Boost Your Bike with D.Fender's Spacer Kit for 142mm Rear Hubs in 148mm Frames - Bikerumor

EDIT: Looks like the alignment of the brake caliper could be a problem. The position of the disk is the same for 150x12 and for 157x12 (as far as I know) but the disk is closer to the dropout comparing it with 148x12 at your image. If you get the 150 mm hub in your 148 boost rear end fitted there is still the problem to move disk to the inside (not possible) or the caliper to the outside which will be difficult because it requires a custom adapter for the caliper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    thanks for your thoughts so far, could work.
    but the brace caliper could be to close to the spokes or the axle, i dont know yet.

Chainline could be ignores as long as the crank clears the rear swingarm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    sorry, forgot 157 x 12 super boost in my poll,

is there any need for that?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by teatimetom View Post
    sorry, forgot 157 x 12 super boost in my poll,

is there any need for that?
    Honestly, this makes way more sense than boost if your goal is to build the strongest wheel. But I think 150 dropouts could cover this, as long as you buy a super boost hub that can be converted back to 150. As far as I know, the only difference between 150 and 157 is that 157 drops would have a slot for the end caps (like 142) and 150 does not (like 12x135).

The only thing I'm not 100% on would be chainline. Seems like you could shim your front chainring, which is kind of what Pivot is doing.

As for my need, it probably won't be until 2018 at the earliest. I have some good 142 wheels that I need to smash through and I'm waiting to see which one of these new standards is actually going to win.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I got in touch with the guys at banshee and it's official, no 150mm support for Rune, Spitfire etc. - only 142/148. I thought they were at least considering such an option down the road, but I'm out of luck. Which is a pity, since their frames used to be so "standards"-agnostic. Now I'm left with a really high quality 26" 150/157mm wheelset that's essentially obsolete (two and a half years after I bought it - heck even computers last longer these days). I thought the moment has come to jump on a fully frame and the Rune was my prime candidate, but buying a new 26" boost rear wheel seems like a stupid investment right now... Going for a complete 27" boost wheelset would mean a new fork as well, which I can't afford. I guess I'll stick with my current setup until I somehow manage to destroy it and that will be it.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Thatīs the way it is ...
    Went with a BOS Deville fork some years ago, just before the 27.5/650B Craze became popular . I was simply lucky that a 25.5/650B Wheel still fit.
    Went with super light and expensive Tune Hubs (115x20 + 142x12). Now thereīs Boost, and the 110x15 fork-hub-standard.
    Iīm going to ride these parts till they quit ...

Here, diagonally!

Smile

I'm gonna bring this one back up. First of all, I understand that Banshee has to be realistic about the number of different dropouts they produce. With the advent of V2, it's getting kind of crazy. And I also understand what they did for 2017 - you have to cover the 2 most popular standards first if you want to sell bikes.

That being said, I'm looking to build my next dream bike, and I currently have 2 150 rear wheels, one with a Hadley hub that will last longer than I will be able to ride. I'd prefer not to drop down to boost.

So what would it take to get a set of custom 150 dropouts for a 2017? Should I write down a number on a piece of paper and slide it across the table?
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?