What did we all ride on the weekend? - Page 20- Mtbr.com
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
Results 3,801 to 3,956 of 3956
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Went and had a go at the Mount Annan Botanical Gardens Mtb course on Tuesday well worth thr trip guys, bout 7-10 ks in length, was quite slippery given all the rain we've had which made it a lil frustrating, it's almost all single track and very well made, was also a lil bit steep for my 150mm travel front end in places, really wished I'd taken my flat pedals instead of my cleats

All in all I thought it was a great track to go and visit, will definatley be going back !!!

Oaks Firetrail this Sat hope the Rain goes esy on us

mtbr member
    Did Manly Dam on the weekend. TOO HOT!!!

What really amazed me was seeing a guy on a none suspension MTB (front or back) , V-brakes and no water doing the same thing. He overtook me.

mtbr member

What did we all ride on the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by CHINOTAKER View Post
    What really amazed me was seeing a guy on a none suspension MTB (front or back) , V-brakes and no water doing the same thing. He overtook me.
    Better that than a unicycle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott is a tool.
    Wow! Nearly a year with no action in this thread.

It used to be thriving.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodpuddle View Post

Husband and wife unicyclists overtook my missus at the You Yangs the other day...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog View Post
    Wow! Nearly a year with no action in this thread.

It used to be thriving.
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Speaking of unicycles, seen a guy riding one on the wodonga-beechworth road on saturday. Think hes riding it around australia or something.

Heres the guy i saw...

Samuel Johnson's wheely long ride for sister | The Border Mail

mtbr member

Today's philosophical question: is it more shameful to be overtaken by a unicycle on the trail or on the road?

fan of maple syrup
    Today's philosophical question: is it more shameful to be overtaken by a unicycle on the trail or on the road?
    I would hazard a guess and say both would bother me an approximately equal amount of fk-all.

And yes, it is super quiet in this forum. Still lots of folk riding. Just not communicating here. Yeah ... it's prob FB.

mtbr member
    Last time I did the Highland Fling there was a guy doing the 55k version on a unicycle. Found him at the 10k to go mark walking........

Anyways, here is a pic from this morning. We rode for about 30 mins without lights before the sun came up only using First Light. Makes getting up at 5am worth it.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-1017366_538996176208548_1327531829_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Ben,
    Maybe the HA was too slack to ride that hill
    Great Pic the pre dawn rides are awesome
    Been getting out a lot
    Maulbrooks at Mogo is a must do for anyone heading to the Batemans Bay area I've been there several times and it never fails to put a smile on my face.
    In fact my wife and younger son requested a 2nd go there in the one trip so thats a high praise
    Also been out to Plenty Gorge since we got back
    Heading to Buller for the Aus day weekend plus a couple of days before it which should be great

mtbr member
    Nice pic!

Unpredictable
    It is a nice photo Ben_M.

+1 for Mogo, BUT here's a tale: a few years ago I went to Maulbrooks on the way home after a golf weekend at Narooma. Plan was one loop, starting about 4PM (November) and then to a mate's place at Bateman's Bay for beers and BBQ.

Checked the map at the trailhead in detail and should have taken a pic of it with the phone. NOTE THIS SUGGESTION DOWN

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080488.jpg

There was also a notice about severe storm damage on trails.

Off down Kick Start.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080504.jpgWhat did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080503.jpg

It's hard to imagine a better start to a ride. If you can't enjoy Kick Start, then there's little hope I think.

The problem with Mogo is that there are good trail signs. They even have "wrong way go back signs" near the trailhead and as a first time visitor, you somehow become dependant on them.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080496.jpg

One problem I have with Mogo after a couple of visits is that signs are there if you know where to look. If you don't, like between Sheoak and Snake, you can be confused.

At the bottom of Kick Start that year, there were all sorts of branch trails or braids. Some looked closed. Others not.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080507.jpg

I did not see the sign for Loopy Trail on the other side of the creek (this pic is not from that trip, so maybe it was less visible), so I rode back up the fire road to the map and checked again. OK, got it - cue Bee Gees "Staying Alive" as I hit KS trail again.

At the end of Loopy, there was a singletrack that looked inviting, but I could see so much massive storm damage all around that I decided to use the fire road and cut out part of the long loop. It was a bad choice. I rode on basically open road for a few hundred metres before the fire road started to become covered by fallen lumber. Most places had ride-arounds and I was sucked into going farther. Soon it was carnage, with thousands of fallen trees. I managed to get past or over them and made it to AST Track eventually.

Cue "Staying Alive" again. A fun downhill grade and I was feeling great. There were no trees across this trail. I saw a sign for Thru Track and after that things went bad. Having been back I know now that I did Swamp Track without seeing a sign. Maybe it was destroyed, with hundreds of monster (2+m trunks) trees down to the point I could not even guess where the trail went.

I started leaving the bike, climbing and ducking to find the trail up to 100m ahead. I'd go back and get the bike and try to carry it through without breaking a leg and then do it again and again. When I finally made it to signs that warned me of a fire road, it was after a short but refreshing ride without any problems. I would have started to perk up, but it was getting very gloomy and starting to rain.

On the other side of the fire road was total devastation. Nothing was left, it had all been flattened or bulldozed. There was no sign of a trail or sign for a MTB trail. I could see an intersection to my left, so I rode the three fire roads looking for a sign of a sign, or the trailhead, until I felt lost in the rain and dimming light. It was now 7PM. So what to do next....... That's when I made a big mistake. I called the cops at Moruya.

I told them where I was, how I did AST and Thru Tracks and maybe more and that I needed the phone number for a contact at the Eurobodalla Cyclists Club to help me confirm my location and which fire road I had not ridden quite far enough to find the trailhead (it was my first choice and the one I told the cops I thought I was near - Maulbrooks Rd). They refused and told me to stay put and they were sending out a vehicle. I said I didn't think I needed that and that club members would get me out, just like they would here on the Gold Coast. They said I had to do what they said now.

So I waited in the rain and was interrogated about food, water, shelter, riding buddies, phone life and I felt like a real dick. They told me I was 12km from where I thought I was. Strange really on a 16km loop. A vehicle was sent out and because they refused to listen to me, or read the trailhead map when they got there, they got lost. Blasting your car horn is not going to help if you are km's from where you want your lost drongo to be!

About 8.00 a 4WD came down the fire road and crossed the creek where I was sitting and sooking. The traditional owner told me I was only a couple of k's from the trailhead and confirmed it was Maulbrooks Rd I had first ridden. I said thanks and asked if I could follow him to be certain as the cops had told me to stay put. After muttering "cops, did you say cops..." he jumped in the car and said bye.

After sooking for another hour or so, he came back. No sign of the cops. He apologised for leaving me. Said he did the wrong thing and helped me load the bike into his car and took me back to the trailhead. Best as I can tell, I was within 3-400m of finding it on my first attempt, when I turned back due to uncertainty. The cops turned up from the trail alongside Kick Start as we pulled into the car park.

They were pissed and gave me a big lecture about putting myself and emergency services in jeopardy. I gave my rescuer $50 for coming back - it was a really, really good thing he did and 50 was not really enough of a reward in these heartless times. The cops seemed to think it was for something else....

So, Yes Mogo (Maulbrooks) is a really exciting ride and having been back since and planning to go back again this year, you must go there!

And remember everyone: if there is a trailhead map, take a pic up close. It may not be up to the minute, but it is going to help when the Bandicoot shit hits the rotor. Not all photos are just for the love of the place. I remember Mogo like the next pic, but I also remember the map like it is lasered into my head now

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080510.jpg

No good in rock gardens..
    I've had a long while off the bike, but am getting back into it now. Been playing with my Replay cam a bit.

Sunday MTB - YouTube
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    I've been lucky enough to have been given this to get dirty for the past 2 weeks.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13214512894_25705b2793_c.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13213901013_a6d6912e75_z.jpg

Focus Sam 2.0. 160mm Travel, 27.5 wheels and 780mm wide bars. Compared to what i'm use to, this is a big bike. Im trying to sell my Cannondale so I can upgrade to something similar so I was very interested in seeing the difference and how much better it is, and the answer was, a fair bit. Rocky trails which would normally throw my 120mm bike around was a piece of cake for this thing, it was also much faster through berms as well. Its going back this week but maybe we will meet again. (anyone wanna buy my Cannondale, ppllleeeeaaassssseeeeeee!!!!)

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13054027735_a7878dab6a_z.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13214078565_45413eccbd_c.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13214174773_58ea4d2732_o.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13054003495_10f706937e_c.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13177983713_7e801cff4f_c.jpg

Looks interesting. How's it climb on longer climbs?
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    When you read reviews on bikes like these the reviewer will normally throw in the line, 'Climbs like a XC bike'. Well, its obvious that said reviewer has not ridden a xc bike for a while because they don't, but, for what they are they climb pretty good. I found the rear bobed a lot on technical climbs, but shifting the leaver to trail mode (half lockout) it was much better. It also has great grip and is very stable so it climbs technical stuff really well. On the smoother stuff its slow, but its not painful.

I was missing the small ring as the front shifter had been broken off so I didn't get a chance to spin easily up any hills, but climbing never felt like a chore.

I know exactly what you mean.

"Climbs like an XC bike!"

(weighs 31lbs, has 900 gram tyres and only one chainring, with supple 6" suspension....)

Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Stromlo + Sparrows/Kowen every possible weekend

mtbr member

Narrow Neck, Blue Mountains.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Lawson and the oaks today. was damn cold in the wind at dawn, but perfect riding amongst the trees. Oaks extension is fun, dead smooth like a park trail, but good fun.

mtbr member
    I thinks it's been cold everywhere!!

I had a bit of a farewell ride on the weekend as we are moving to Goulburn (that will be warmer ) Was raining, cold and foggy so only about half of those who said they would turn up did, but I kinda expected that when I woke up and saw the weather. Was one of the most relaxed and enjoyable rides I have done in a long time, was very similar to the kind of rides we did 10 years ago when I first moved here. Nice way to finish up.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-14399469767_23b4f867e0_c.jpg

My best riding mate who I've done most of my riding with and done road trips with kept the green paint from a fancy dress party the night before on just for a laugh. And he got one.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-14399258899_369a36ddf2_c.jpg

Speaking of laugh, this is Mick heading over 'The Wall of Murph', named after me because I built it. I provided entertainment by crashing on the for the first time and landing straight on top of the rocks. Still got the bruises to prove it.....

What did we all ride on the weekend?-14399178240_db194cc606_c.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-14397726358_79c00c917c_c.jpg

Getting excited about the move as I've got a whole new area of trails to discover (even if I have ridden lots of them).

mtbr member
    Had day off work on Friday, so took the opportunity to ride at Menai (Lucas Heights) for the first time.

They're great trails with that lovely "raw" feel that so many purpose-built trails are losing these days.

Excellent use of the terrain to avoid prolonged or uninteresting climbs, and lots of fun & tricky rock sections (both up and down) to test line choice and technical skills.

Kudos to everyone who's been involved in getting the area re-opened for MTB use and done all that awesome trail building.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good ride, will have to try and visit there one day. Is funny you used the word 'raw' to describe the trails because thats the same word i've been using to describe my new home trails here in Goulburn. I've been loving the trails here, they are right up my alley. Still trying to find my way around as their are no signs and the trails are not used that often, but thats half the fun, exploring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

It's been dumping down under down under lately and a couple of mates and I got out in some pretty deep snow on Mt Wellington, just out of Hobart. Was a huge amount of fun, the snow had just enough moisture to it to make it super tacky.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by pvdm10 View Post
    It's been dumping down under down under lately and a couple of mates and I got out in some pretty deep snow on Mt Wellington, just out of Hobart. Was a huge amount of fun, the snow had just enough moisture to it to make it super tacky.
    How awesome is that - a fat bike day in Oz. Not quite like that here on the Gold Coast. We were clearing a line for new trail. Digging will start soon.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1140553.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Cheers Ridnparadise, was an awesome day! Looks like a great area to build some tracks. Nice and clear already. Good luck.

mtbr member

Ben - definitely worth it at some point.

PVDM - that looks awesome! I can imagine some of the steep bits must have been pretty hairy.

mtbr member
    I rode in snow in Germany earlier this year, it certainly keeps you on your toes. Good to see it didn't stop you from going out into the bush.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-img_20140405_033206.jpg

mtbr member
    Yarra Trails. some mtb'ing is better than none...despite that one could use a CX bike!!!

fan of maple syrup
    Been thinking the same thing about CX. I find the idea owning one and entering a few social races appealing (like that one in Darebin Parklands).

Plus it would be a good commuter for path/road rides to work.

mtbr member
    And speaking of CX, I rode Heathcote Pipeline to Woronora Dam yesterday (on my HT - I don't have a CX, but that's a trail pretty well suited to a CX).

Had originally planned to ride the Pipeline, cross the highway and ride over to Loftus and back, but ran out of time. Should have started at Loftus - way more interesting!

Still, it's cool to get out to the dam. Pretty impressive piece of engineering.

mtbr member
    Lysty yesterday. All of it was damp - LOTS of traction A few bits were full-on waterlogged and muddy. I didn't ride Blair Witch though.

mtbr member
    Glorious Friday afternoon at Stromlo

What did we all ride on the weekend?-14924036822_172eaba7f1_z.jpg

mtbr member

Great stuff!

mtbr member

Had a great ride at Old Man's Valley in Hornsby yesterday morning.

It's the first time I've been there since the Stage 2 trails opened. They're great!

Quite different from the stage 1 trails, the new ones are smooth and bermy, and fast & flowy as a result. Stage 1 is rocky with a few more technical features.

So even though all up there's only about 5km of trail, there's enough variety to keep it interesting. Did 4-5 loops and wasn't getting bored at all - just tired!

mtbr member
    I always said I wouldn't go back to Old Man's Valley until stage 2 opened. Looks like its back on the list. I enjoyed stage 1 but it was quite wet when we went so would love to try it out in the dry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Got out to OMV on Thursday, was great conditions in stage 2, tacky but not wet. Now its been pouring I can see it taking a fair while to dry out and be ridable again. That trail is very well protected from wind and sun.
    Also visited westleigh for first time, thats a nice trail.

mtbr member

I didn't know there was a track at Westleigh. Have to check that out sometime too.

mtbr member
    Did the 5th round of the Aus Enduro series at Stromlo. The old bike got pushed to its limits and my body struggled a bit, but I was expecting that. Was a great day out on the trails with all sorts of people having a go.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-10621676_10152349507177169_1390952582_o.jpg

Had time off the bike again, so just some short trail hacks.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Had time off the bike again, so just some short trail hacks.
    Gunna buy a new bike again to get back into it?

mtbr member

We've had so much rain in Sydney during August and September that the last 3 weekends have all been washouts. Roadie riding has been the only option, and even then they've been pretty damp affairs.

Was hoping this weekend would be different, but it pissed down again last night which means whatever drying out had started has to start again.

Next thing you know, I'll be shaving down...

Unpredictable
    Next thing you know, I'll be shaving down...
    Thought you were cured of that......

Weather is still on our side here. In the last 4 days the ground has changed colour after a recent controlled burn.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1140853.jpg

No riding though this week due to Father's Day and a hurt back. We have been up to some construction though.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1140849.jpgWhat did we all ride on the weekend?-p1140846.jpg

Just arseholing around on the local trails trying to get some semblance of fitness back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did we all ride on the weekend?-bike.jpg  

Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Had a first yesterday, I came across a herd of deer. I was almost more shocked than they were...

What did we all ride on the weekend?-15204179152_9cf1ae612d_c.jpg

mtbr member
    Just arseholing around on the local trails trying to get some semblance of fitness back.
    Blingy tyres.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_M View Post
    Had a first yesterday, I came across a herd of deer. I was almost more shocked than they were...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15204179152_9cf1ae612d_c.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	922690
    How did you get the deer to take that photo of you? Go Pro antler mount?

Blingy tyres.

White Geax Saguaro's.

I really like 'em. They handle loose stuff better than anyone should expect 'em to, and roll fast. What's more, the front hangs on better than the 2.25 Ardent I took off.

Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Well, if Kanye had a MTB, that's how he'd roll too I reckon.

Are they light? (actual question)

How long will they stay white? (rhetorical question)

I saw a small fallow the other day near where I ride - I was driving though.

Well, if Kanye had a MTB, that's how he'd roll too I reckon.

Are they light? (actual question)

How long will they stay white? (rhetorical question)
    550g apparently. They are sized true, at 2.0

Get a little discolouration from mud, but it wipes off pretty easy.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Stupid thing wouldn't stay still, thats why its not framed properly

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Wylde park

went and checked this out, only did the 6km loop as i was shagged but still had a blast
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did we all ride on the weekend?-rocknroll1.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-rocknroll2.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-rocksnstuff.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-track1.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-wyldepark-map.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-berm.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-champs-elyse.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-facilities.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    did the oaks up and back. perfect conditions if a little hot towards the end. almost no one on the trail, passed more rides going up as I did the return trip than people going down as I went up. Normally there's a train full of people coming down the trail

mtbr member

Double header

Got out for two rides this weekend.

Like Hooch, I went out to Wylde MTB Park for the first time on Saturday. I did the 12km loop (which I think rolls all the trails there together) and had a couple of goes on the pump track too.

It's a great track. Lots of nice berms, and good use of the terrain without any sustained climbs.

Nothing too technical there, but lots of little jumps and doubles, so I think the challenge is to be consistently smooth and fast - I was neither!

Only complaint is it's a solid hour's drive each way from my place, so I don't think I'll get there too often.

This morning I found myself with more time so went down to Loftus and did a bunch of loops, and the out & back to Engadine. They are such great trails. Always have a great ride there, and this morning was no exception.

Two rides this weekend, and dinner tonight at BBQ King - happy days!

mtbr member

Two laps of Manly Dam yesterday morning with a roadie mate who's signed up for the Half Fling as his first MTB event.

Rode to the beach with the two junior bloodpuddlers in the afternoon.

Late night last night, so this morning's planned long road ride became a short road ride, followed by trip to local bike track on the bmx with one of the junior bloodpuddlers.

4 rides and all bikes in the stable had an outing.

Unpredictable
    Had a nice afternoon at Mt Joyce - Wyaralong Dam, near Beaudesert, Qld. It's about 100km from the Gold Coast to the trailhead. I heard the gate had been opened allowing you to park past the dam wall and save a couple of km of down and up riding. Wrong about that.

It was a warm day, 29c and we arrived after midday. It was full sun, but a nice, cool breeze. It's always tough getting to the top from below the dam wall and hot in both valleys as the trails catch the sun until late arvo.

We got in every trail except for the DH lines and Bill's Link from the top of Bovine to the start of Black Rock trail. We did Shoreline trail and then hoofed up the Grass Tree Track to get to Black Rock. My guess is that if you can ride up that fire road, you have no interest in the Black Rock downhill anyway. The whole place is riding a lot tougher than the last couple of visits, with more exposed, big rocks and plenty of sand in places, but still very good.

Had a nice lunch at the cafe by the Beaudesert War Memorial (just up from KFC). The staff were nice and the food and drinks were too. Look for the coffee curtain, flowers and chooks in the window.

Sorry no pics today, but here's a couple from last time on the Grass Tree Track

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1020288.jpgWhat did we all ride on the weekend?-p1020289.jpg

Eastern Brown Snake - guess who's nervous now you guts.... He was huge, much bigger than the pics show - 1.5-2m and fat.

fan of maple syrup
    I would love you to post that pic in the 'Yarra Trails Regulars' section on Rotorburn. They are all ****-scared of snakes (of which there are plenty along the Yarra). Snakes, snake sightings and snake fear in general dominate conversation for most of the summer. It's quite interesting given the chances of being bitten by one while riding would surely have to be in plane-crash territory.

I've seen dozens but they're long gone by the time I get there 99% of the time. The one time it didn't and I ran over it's tail I'll admit I was a little scared, but going so fast it would never have had the chance to turn and strike.

Great pics though ... you must've been comfortable getting up that close.

mtbr member
    Its not so bad if you are 1st upon it. Last year at Lake mountain Matt was about 10m in front of me ran over and pi44ed of a snake I arrive and its reared up ~40cm luckily saw and avoided didn't stop it striking out at me though. That got me going a bit quicker ( and my heart)

Unpredictable
    Happy to post the pics on that thread nuclear. However, see below and tell me if I should after you read more.

I have come across a lot of snakes over the years. I have a respectful relationship with them. They are impressive, feel great (pythons) and most are in a hurry to get away or just stay still unless you hassle them.

One of my early memories is of commando crawling with a mate through lantana tunnels up the hill near home (Speers Point, Lake Macquarie) when a big python came across the trail a metre in front of me. At age 7 or 8 it was time to GTFOT and I back-peddled over my friend until I got stuck and we just watched it keep moving away. It obviously knew we were there, but WTF. I also went to pick up a large branch a few years later when my Dad and I were making a crossing over a boggy creek up in the Barrington Tops to find it was a coiled and massive red belly black partly on a log. I mean massive. By then I knew to move more slowly. It was watching me and I had my hand within finger length when I took more notice of the "branch" and saw the head move. It just slowly uncoiled and moved away.

Then there are the nasty snakes. Being mating season, I would not want to make anyone complacent about snakes. Browns and tigers, among others are bad news in Spring. I have been chased by tigers. Once one saw me, turned, swam a stream and then came at me like a rocket while I was fishing quietly. I moved and it came after me and came and came until I ran. That was a very snakey day and I had literally stepped over half a dozen plus others in the previous few hours, mainly browns, but also copperheads. They were passive.

No BS, I also had a small tiger chase me on the beach north of Newcastle one November. People say they don't inhabit that area. I beg to differ. Persistent, you bet. After moving 100m up the beach (fishing again) as he kept slithering my way and then walking up on the soft sand, circling around it and casting out again 200m away, there he comes again, this time going south. In the end I had to knock him into the surf, twice to stop him coming. What a strange 20 minutes.

Then there have been 2 successful turn-back strikes. If you think they can't turn back on themselves and strike you as you ride by as the first rider, check these stories.

Gold Coast (where I live these days), early Summer and I'm on a just for fun ride to the beaches and along the spit dirt track. I come up over a rise and spook about 50 tiny finches who fly more or less straight at me over a brown sunning itself on the track. I am doing a fair pace and the snake is also moving off the track so I keep going along the tail side of the trail. He was pi$$ed, swung back and hit the chainstay just behind my heel.

Once I rode from Byron Bay to the motorway along the old railway track. It was such a stupid idea I am still pleased I did it years later. Not only a good test of suspension and dental amalgam, but a unique experience and solitary and fun. A king brown was curled on the track. I saw the last bit of it and thought that was the whole snake. I didn't know the uncoiling snake was so long it was still on the track after the head reached the bottom of the ballast pile 2m away. I was impressed at the size. I heard from Dad's Qld childhood that the only way to outrun a king brown was by cornering - circles around the shed or figure 8s. There's not too many ways to do that on a railway line and it was not even on my mind as I bumped along at a good pace. However, this massive snake lifted itself over a vertical metre, turned back and struck the rear wheel. The twang was loud and I remember thinking about all those stories of snakes spinning in the wheel and biting every turn. I also thought about all the long grass between the track and the road back to Byron.

So, while I am not immediately bothered by snakes, I really don't know about posting a nicety nice pretty pic during snakenado season!!!!!!

fan of maple syrup
    Interesting stories Ridnparadise. While I find myself not believing a large degree of the "snake struck my tyre/frame" stories I have read, yours seem far from made up (plus I know Mike who posted before you isn't FOS either).

I'll put that down as the first two I've actually read and believed. I reckon I've read about 50. If you take my extreme skepticism out of the equation surely a handful of those were real too.

Which doesn't explain the staggeringly low number of actual "Mountain biker bitten by snake while JRA" stories in existence - in our country anyway where I read about so many encounters and close calls. I remember reading about one happening in Colorado, USA where the guy thought he'd been spiked by a plant of some type and just kept riding. When the pain got severe he stopped, saw the puncture marks, went back to see what type of snake it was, found a rattler, then went and got help. The article said it was the first time in 15 years in the state that something like that had happened. All other cases of MTB rider vs snake, the riders had stopped and were messing around with snake, and some of those instances the riders were pissed also (which lead me to a whole new line of questioning ... who the F rides when drunk???). But regardless ... Colorado. There's probably more MTB riders on the trails at any one point in summer in that state, than riders in all of Australia. And they have 15yrs between actual snake bites where the rider didn't actively engage. Perhaps our snakes just have pathetic aim? Or they know exactly what they're doing and realise that we'll probably taste like crap anyway?

But glad to hear you've survived your encounters regardless. I still have zero problems with the existence of snakes. I too have handled pythons - one about 3m long. Very odd feeling but I wasn't the slightest bit scared. A frame of mind I intend to keep while out riding until I hear of folk actually getting bitten anyway.

Oh and I was kidding about posting the pics in the Rotorburn thread anyway. I wouldn't actively suggest anyone ever visit that thread, such is the arse-hattery that goes on within it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered View Post
    I would love you to post that pic in the 'Yarra Trails Regulars' section on Rotorburn. They are all ****-scared of snakes (of which there are plenty along the Yarra).
    Seriously? I literally just organised are ride along the Yarra a few hours ago. I suppose its not surprising really. An early start should beat most of them.

Some great stories Ridnparadise. In twenty years of riding i've only ever seen three snakes. Had to bunny hop over the length of one, broke the world record bunny hop in the process Im sure many more have seen me, but as you say they are usually more interested in getting away than attacking (besides Tigers).

mtbr member
    When you coming down mate?

mtbr member
    We hit Flinders (Mornington Peninsular) on Thursday then head to Melbourne Saturday Arvo, leaving Sunday Arvo. Will be short on time in Melbourne and our friends place is closeish to the Yarra trails so hopefully we will get a couple of solid hrs in on Sunday. Welcome to join us if you want, long way from home though....

Unpredictable
    Most stories about snakes are BS. They are smaller than us and that is all that matters to them.

My uncle used to own a pub at Harden, not far from Canberra. He tells a story of a successful local cocky who imported a Cadillac, picked it up from the dealer, drove proudly home through 13 gates on his property and when closing the last one a snake struck him on the leg. Story goes he jumped in the car, drove down all the gates back to town and ran into the doctor's rooms screaming he'd been bit by a death adder. Doctor asked how long ago and he checked his watch - 45 minutes. Doc told him to go home because if he had been bitten he would have been dead before now.

Now that's real Aussie bul$#it

mtbr member
    Wont make Sunday Ben got a BMX event in the morning then Plenty Gorge in the Arvo
    Have fun

fan of maple syrup
    Ben you should try and get to the Gorge, if you haven't already.

mtbr member
    Yeah you will love it!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    An MTBR ride at the Gorge?
    Had my first snake run-in for the season last Saturday, On Mount Monda near the Black Spur. Descending a fire road, two mates 10m in front straddled a 1 metre long black snake. Snake headed for the side of the road - straight at me, but I simply whizzed past, just like any Yarra Trail incident really.

Hello everyone
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Not done the Gorge Hyden?
    I took Steve there in August and I think hes been bsck seversl times each week since

mtbr member
    Who are you again Hud? Well actually, plans got changed to riding at Greensborough which I have just worked out it the Famous Plenty George (obviously my mates isn't down with the lingo). Looking forward to it actually. Plan is to get there some time between 8 and 8:30 Sunday morning.

Fun times ahead!!

mtbr member
    You'll love it Ben
    Busy Sunday morning but I'm heading out there Sunday arvo
    Have fun mate

mtbr member
    I'll do a skid to say hi

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Didn't get up to much, just a quick helibiking mission this weekend
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did we all ride on the weekend?-img_0521.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-img_0529.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-img_0517.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-img_0523.jpg  

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by I Like Dirt View Post
    Not done the Gorge Hyden?
    I took Steve there in August and I think hes been bsck seversl times each week since
    I have been there once!
    Ridiculous really as it's really good.
    Keen to get back and will need to be shown around again.

mtbr member
    We had a mini Mtbr catch up as I ran into N_P at the creek crossing. Nice to finally meet you N_P. It's a good thing we post pictures of our bikes, otherwise we would never have known.
    I really enjoyed our ride out there, we did about 17k so we covered a fair bit of ground. Still plenty of other trails yet to be ridden. I really enjoyed the rocky section on the southern side, plus the run down from the water tank on the northern side.

fan of maple syrup
    Nice to meet you too Ben. The name's Brett for future reference ... been meaning to change my usernames to something closer to my actual name for ages, but as this was the first website I think I ever 'signed up' for, and it already had a squillion users, it took me about 20min to think of something I liked that wasn't already used, since every incarnation of my name was also taken. I really only chose mine so that once I get around to picking something more meaningful I can change my avatar msg to 'formerly nuclear powered' ... it just had a ring to it.

Anyway ... glad you liked our little Gorge. Just a great riding place. And so much terrain upstream yet to be used still.

We head to Canberra now and then (grew up there) for Pepper to see her Grandmothers, will get in touch if I ever take up the bike.

Safe trip back to the G.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Taking the cake

I've had a great couple of weeks of riding, both on and off trail.

A couple of weeks back I did my first biggish road ride - my longest ever ride, in fact - in doing the Sydney to Gong and return. My ride turned out to be just over 150km. As far as road riding goes, it was pretty stellar: perfect sunny day, closed roads all the way down, a beautiful winding descent through the Royal National Park, the challenge of riding up Bulli Pass and the buzz of zooming along in a peloton at ~45km/h for kms on end. Not enough to sway my allegiances road-ward, but a great day on the bike all the same.

The following weekend was the Highland Fling. The quid pro quo for my roadie mate who talked me into the Gong ride the week earlier, was that he had to ride the (Half) Fling the following weekend. He did really well, and I managed a PB for the Half (this was my 3rd Half, having previously done 3 Full Flings). Hot and dusty, it was nevertheless another sensational ride.

And the whole Fling weekend is great fun - kids skills clinics, Bundanoon Dash and Battle of the Businesses on the Saturday afternoon, race day Sunday and the whole weekend one big biking festival. Love it. Have always loved it, and will keep going as long as they run it.

But the best bit of all? Well that was yesterday's 4.1km ride in the Blue Mountains. Yep, just 4.1km at Scribblies (for those of you who know the area). Why was it so good? Because Bloodpuddle Jr, age 7, led the ride. He's a pretty handy little rider, and we've done lots of firetrail riding before, but this was the longest bit of continuous singletrack he'd done.

Following him at a decent clip through the twisty, bermy rocky terrain, with the afternoon sun speckled on the trees and the trail ahead, listening to his little "woohoo"s as he went over little drops and jumps, was one of the most memorable on-bike experiences I've ever had. He stacked a couple of times - including falling off a skinny when he managed to stall along it - picked himself and kept going.

At the end, he was just beaming and gave me a huge high 5. What a day

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    longest ever day in the saddle last weekend, first attempt at the full fling. I'd done the previous two half flings with lower mid field finishes, and had ridden Wingello before the new parts, and done two 100km events this year but this was by far the hardest. First stage went well enough, a bit longer this year but got into transition in my targest time. Wingello though was hard. Ran out of water about half way through the stage, managed to get a top up from some of the firies who were course marshalls but still struggled to make it to the second point. Got back to Wingello an hour before cut off and just cruised the last 30km home to finish in 10 hr 20.
    Bike was skipping badly at the back, took in to the store who handed me back a packet of shrapnel that used to be the pawls in the raer hub. And my front brakes were rubbing badly. All excuses though, the course kicked my ass big time. Crawling out of Wingello I decided I was done with full length XCM races. by Monday I was looking at XC bikes, Tuesday I was looking for a half length event to get ready for another crack at the full CP course in feb. Pain is definitely temporary.
    Got to give a shout out to the 100 mile riders, almost all of whom lapped me well before the end of the Wingello stage. Every one had encouraging words, a few slowed right down to ride with me for a bit. At the back of these fields it's usually a lonely place, a long time between people so this was very welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby74 View Post
    longest ever day in the saddle last weekend, first attempt at the full fling. I'd done the previous two half flings with lower mid field finishes, and had ridden Wingello before the new parts, and done two 100km events this year but this was by far the hardest. First stage went well enough, a bit longer this year but got into transition in my targest time. Wingello though was hard. Ran out of water about half way through the stage, managed to get a top up from some of the firies who were course marshalls but still struggled to make it to the second point. Got back to Wingello an hour before cut off and just cruised the last 30km home to finish in 10 hr 20.
    Well done, mate. My first Fling took me a similar time, and it was bloody hard work. I remember feeling a bit vindicated by a comment from one of the elite riders in a post-race interview who said something to the effect that while it's hard to ride the Fling in the 4-5hrs or so that they do, it must be super tough for the guys at the other end of the field who spend twice as long on the bike.

Each time I finished, I also swore I'd never do it again, but I seem to keep going back. Like you say, the pain is temporary, but the satisfaction is addictive.

mtbr member

Smile

Nice work Tubby and bp. I did the Sydney to Gong a few years ago. I certainly agree that it is a nice day on the bike (I got picked up at the finish) but I did have one major issue. The behavior of some of the cyclist towards safety and using their brain (or not). Whilst there were a few roads which were completely closed to vehicles, most were not, and some cyclist had it in their head that they owned the roads. I saw some really stupid stuff and my thoughts were that unfortunately one day the will be a fatality as a result of a cyclists being hit by a car .

Good work on the Fling. I did that for the first time 9 years ago. I plan to go back next year and celebrate 10 years by doing it again on the same bike, even with the same jersey , hope to see you there! I do agree about the mental game that these things play with you, its all part of the fun.

I've done a couple of rides of note of late. I had Melbourne Cup day off so I drove down to Nowra to check out the trails there. I rode Coondoo & Superbowl (State XC track). Was a bit hit and miss for me, but overall well built trails that were fun to ride. Plenty of other trails there but I ran out of time.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-15801585166_f86a9da179_b.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-15823351841_8f8d319b2d_c.jpg

A few weekends ago I rode Manly Dam for the first time for which I borrowed my sister in laws 29er hardtail. Its the first time in many years i've ridden a 29er, and I think it was a pretty good choice for the terrain. Some really fun and challenging singletrack which the big wheels made easy work of. Would be a nice place to work on your skills.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-15639417829_72a826b909_z.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-15639812278_f293e7d7a5_z.jpg

Heading back to where I grew up this weekend. Looking forward to hitting up my old trails

mtbr member

Great pics as always, Ben.

A 29er HT is my weapon of choice for the Dam. Some of the faster, rockier downhills shake my fillings out on it, but I'm definitely quicker on it around the loop than on the 26" duallie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    was very tropical in deepest darkest jungles of hornsby today on the flow sections of old man's valley. about 32 degrees according to the car but was much hotter on the track and humid too. and to make it feel even more exotic there was someone singing what sounded like the Islamic call to prayer, not sure if there's a mosque about but made for a nice atmosphere.
    was very much a redemption ride after the fling, was puffing and sweating a bit but managed to beat all my trouble spots more often than not

mtbr member
    I think thats called 'being in the moment' Hot and sweaty is how I remember Hornsby as well.

A few pics from the weekend ride at Narrandera, when after over ten years of talking about it, I finally took my mate there.

Fence line trails in what I call death valley. The average grade is -28% They don't make em like this anymore.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-15679582438_398db4f2ee_c.jpg

I could never ride this corner back in the day. I think the motos chewed it up or something because suddenly it was rideable (or maybe I became braver?)

What did we all ride on the weekend?-15244828924_95d22d65f4_z.jpg

From above the rock

What did we all ride on the weekend?-15867094305_1e6c8b4c46_z.jpg

Not a bad view riding along side the lake

What did we all ride on the weekend?-15866442302_b53c9bbb1f_z.jpg

And finally, can never get enough of this view

What did we all ride on the weekend?-15867111025_f78bf0464e_c.jpg

Nice pics mate.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    went and checked this out, only did the 6km loop as i was shagged but still had a blast
    Hi,

I was curious to know if you found the signs at Wylde MTB Trail helpful?

Particularly the trail head sign you photographed. They do get overly full of information due to our "lawyers and accountants" society.
    Yes I was involved in the design and I ride a MTB.

Observations and constructive feedback would be most welcome to improve the designs for the next project like this.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've been out to wylde half a dozen times this year. It's a quick 30 minute run out the motorway, and the looped track makes it perfect to fit into what time I have available, slot in a full or half lap to fill available time.
    Must say I gave the signs a brief glance at first but you can't get lost, and the cut over points to make shorter loops are pretty obvious.
    would like to see extra tracks added but hard to see how you could make a long flow tack without the short climbs already in the back half. Maybe an easier ride to the top would help those who say the front half is too much pedalling.
    The track is very new but already a lot of braking bumps lead into corners. Seems to be a design feature there of putting rolling lumps just before corners which just adds to the braking issue. and on that clay surface, doesn't take much rain to turn some corners into ice.
    i'm sure it will develop over time, the only real complaint I have about the place for now is no toilets. sure you can jump in the car and run up to the shooting centre, but not likely to do that mid ride without washing down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah the lack of toilets is an issue. I do know that Western Sydney Parklands plans to put toilets in when they get the funding for the next stage.

Saying that, the toilets at the shooting centre are only a 2 minute ride (if that) from the car park.

mtbr member
    First proper dirt ride back since November last year as I had a little injury....... Was good to get back into it, even if I was a bit rusty.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-16563276928_ffca57a087_z.jpg

mtbr member

Still got the wheelie gene, I see!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    the last capital punishment 100 on Saturday. the only event I know that gets the swooping pine forest of kowen and the trails of Stromlo in one day. had a great run at the back of the field, felt good and enjoyed the trails. note quite as fast as I'd hoped, 10 minutes faster than last year, was hoping for 30, but still inside double the winning time which is my usual mark.

mtbr member
    Still got the wheelie gene, I see!
    Damn straight (for the 0.5 secs that I needed to pause the video)

Well done Tubby, its a nice event. Had plans to do it again this year except injury got in the way. My comeback to Marathons will have to wait until the Fling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I want to do the full fling again but was too much last year. I think part of feeling so much better at CP this year was knowing the course second time around. either way a good excuse to ride more in preperation

mtbr member

RIP Capital Punishment

the last capital punishment 100 on Saturday. the only event I know that gets the swooping pine forest of kowen and the trails of Stromlo in one day. had a great run at the back of the field, felt good and enjoyed the trails. note quite as fast as I'd hoped, 10 minutes faster than last year, was hoping for 30, but still inside double the winning time which is my usual mark.
    I also did the CP100 on Saturday. My first one and, unfortunately, my last.

Really enjoyed it, but it wasn't quite as I expected it. The first 40km or so were singletrack-heavy which was awesome and what I'd been expecting, but I was surprised that there was so much road/firetrail for the next 40km. I guess you have to get across urban Canberra somehow if you want to get from Majura to Stromlo...

The finish was spectacular though: expend the last bit of energy & stamina in the legs getting up Stromlo and then blast down to the finish line down Skyline, Luge and Duffys. What an awesome way to finish a race!

My only complaint was that there were no beers at the finish line! What's with that???

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    What happened to the CP? why is it no more? Loved it when I did it a few years back.

mtbr member
    Wow, didn't realise it was the last one!!! I just thought bloodpuddle just didn't enjoy it so wasn't going back.

I've been looking around but can't seem to find a reason as to why!! A big shame as it was a great event. The fact that I also live less than 1 hr away from the start is a bonus too.

mtbr member
    I really did enjoy it! Didn't mean to give another impression.

I'd ride it again next year for sure if it were on.

As for why it's the last one, I also haven't seen/heard any official reason, but I can guess. This particular race must have even bigger logistical challenges than your usual mtb marathon format: it traverses a large urban area to start & finish in different places. The permissions and consents must be an even bigger headache than usual and presumably the cost too. Combine that with smaller numbers of riders (about 750 this year vs 2000+ in other years) and I'd guess that it starts to not add up from the organiser's perspective.

A pity because it was a great event, but I guess it's also a byproduct of us being so spoilt for choice with MTB events these days.

mtbr member
    First Time riding the Smedley trial in the Townsville Town common. Definitely one of the best trail in Townsville.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did we all ride on the weekend?-20150315_091110.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-20150315_090620.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-20150315_091604.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-img_0109.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-img_0107.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great pics. Certainly on my (long) list of places to ride.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Nice pics Rusty. I rode some trails in Townsville many years ago.
    They were near a University. They were good!

mtbr member
    Had Friday off and drove to Canberra to try out some trail that i've been wanting to ride for a long time. It's part of the new Centenary trail which runs along side the Murrumbidgee River. I actually rode further than the Centenary Trail and got in a good 30ks. Being a river trail I assumed it would have been pretty flat, kind of like the Yarra trail or the river trail at Wagga. It was not. Lots of small climbs that had plenty of gradient to them, was a reasonably tough ride.

Some Pics

Met a cow
    What did we all ride on the weekend?-16672528627_3e89e8aa05_b.jpg

The River
    What did we all ride on the weekend?-16878789101_f5ab7d3096_b.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-16853937226_40e3db7c46_b.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-16878633612_90609cb3c8_b.jpg

The turn around point, North Hut Crossing

What did we all ride on the weekend?-16692206048_017477ddd0_b.jpg

Wazza would have been proud...

What did we all ride on the weekend?-16879798255_1eae82fe5c_b.jpg

Flowing single track

What did we all ride on the weekend?-16692230988_3d6837c257_b.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-16664324257_cc60390027_b.jpg

The goal is to do the whole 145ks of the Centenary Trail in one go

What did we all ride on the weekend?-16249275334_0ed1cb4d63_b.jpg

Just a terrible day to be off work

What did we all ride on the weekend?-16664317417_d481b4db46_c.jpg

Unpredictable
    Had Friday off and drove to Canberra to try out some trail that i've been wanting to ride for a long time. It's part of the new Centenary trail which runs along side the Murrumbidgee River. I actually rode further than the Centenary Trail and got in a good 30ks. Being a river trail I assumed it would have been pretty flat, kind of like the Yarra trail or the river trail at Wagga. It was not. Lots of small climbs that had plenty of gradient to them, was a reasonably tough ride.

Some Pics

Met a cow

Name:	16672528627_3e89e8aa05_b.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	384.3 KB 
ID:	974575

The River

Name:	16878789101_f5ab7d3096_b.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	373.5 KB 
ID:	974576

Name:	16853937226_40e3db7c46_b.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	338.9 KB 
ID:	974577

Name:	16878633612_90609cb3c8_b.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	430.5 KB 
ID:	974578

The turn around point, North Hut Crossing

Name:	16692206048_017477ddd0_b.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	347.5 KB 
ID:	974579

Name:	16879798255_1eae82fe5c_b.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	974580

Flowing single track

Name:	16692230988_3d6837c257_b.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	328.7 KB 
ID:	974581

Name:	16664324257_cc60390027_b.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	974582

The goal is to do the whole 145ks of the Centenary Trail in one go

Name:	16249275334_0ed1cb4d63_b.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	409.8 KB 
ID:	974583

Just a terrible day to be off work

Name:	16664317417_d481b4db46_c.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	330.8 KB 
ID:	974584
    It's a lovely river. Nice to have a trail there. I've walked and fished parts of it from Cooma to the ACT, but would like to ride there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    Nice pics Rusty. I rode some trails in Townsville many years ago.
    They were near a University. They were good!
    Yeah that is the douglas mountain bike reserve, still there and still very good.

mtbr member
    Had a great couple of shortish rides in the Blue Mountains over Easter. Here are a couple of pics from Mt York.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Did the thredbo valley trail yesterday. Not technical but a very pleasant ride meandering along and across the thredbo river down to lake crackenback resort where theres a nice trail network. On the ride back up came across a massive roo blocking the trail and then had a near miss with a deer bounding in front.
    Was after dark by the time I got back but with the river noise, nice trail and the village lights ahead was really nice to be out.

Now waiting out the weather swapping rain and sun by the hour to take to the lifts tomorrow

Unpredictable
    Did the thredbo valley trail yesterday. Not technical but a very pleasant ride meandering along and across the thredbo river down to lake crackenback resort where theres a nice trail network. On the ride back up came across a massive roo blocking the trail and then had a near miss with a deer bounding in front.
    Was after dark by the time I got back but with the river noise, nice trail and the village lights ahead was really nice to be out.

Now waiting out the weather swapping rain and sun by the hour to take to the lifts tomorrow
    Sweet. It's a lovely place. Did you have beer and pizza at Crackenback? Here's a couple of pics from a visit in 2012

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080022.jpgWhat did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080120.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I didnt get into crackenback for coffee, wife and kids were waiting for dinner by the time I got back as it was. Plan is to ride down again with the 8 year old tomorrow if weather is nice, wife will run shuttle. Nice thing is you are never far from the road so plenty of exit options if the kid finds it too much.
    Looking out now at a clear sky
    Time to get coffees in and get a lift ticket

Unpredictable
    I didnt get into crackenback for coffee, wife and kids were waiting for dinner by the time I got back as it was. Plan is to ride down again with the 8 year old tomorrow if weather is nice, wife will run shuttle. Nice thing is you are never far from the road so plenty of exit options if the kid finds it too much.
    Looking out now at a clear sky
    Time to get coffees in and get a lift ticket
    Sounds great. Enjoy

mtbr member
    I rode Kentlyn in Sydney on the weekend. Was suppose to ride Mt Annan but it was closed due to wet weather, turned out to be a blessing as Kentlyn was fantastic. We did two laps of the 5k xc loop, some really nice techy roll downs and steep shoots to force you to get you bum right over the rear wheel, kind of similar to Appin. Will have to go back there again some time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I had a ride at OMV today

mtbr member
    Demo bike Friday

What did we all ride on the weekend?-11373914_1449085645406820_1828672471_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice, Ben. In the market, it just browsing?

Autocorrect butts

mtbr member
    Who isn't in the market?

Maybe by the end of the year, currently working towards the fling so don't really need one of these yet. The my new LBS had one so I thought why not take it out, can't hurt.

Also had my first shop ride today since hitting town, good times.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ben, G'day. I'm extremely proud. Very few know what the red and yellow triangular blazes are.

The turn around point, North Hut Crossing ...

... but I'd be even more proud if you would change the caption North Hut Crossing, to Point Hut Crossing.

The goal is to do the whole 145ks of the Centenary Trail in one go ...

Can I give you a tip? Bypass the centre of Canberra if you're doing the CT, in one go. Beside the lake and up ANZAC Parade, that's a milk run for commuters and just the kiddy bits on the Centenary Trail. At the National Arboretum if riding the Centenary Trail clock-wise, go through the Cork Forest and join the Bicentennial National Trail at Snow Gums Reserve. The BNT here goes around the NW fringe Canberra, to Hall. Then at Hall rejoin the Centenary Trail. You'll be in your element here and the Centenary Trail section between Hall and Mount Majura through the old Gungahlin State Forest is brilliant. The views on the BNT of the Northern Spurs of the Alps, from the Arboretum to Hall, will blow you away.

This is where I ride mostly ... and down towards the Murrumbidgee to the cliffs of Shepherds Lookout. Shepherd's is just a short diversion off the BNT.

You'll thank me in the morning.

Warren.

PS, A few images from this past week's variable weather ... shot near Shepherds Lookout.

mtbr member
    Cheers Wazza. Looking at doing the Northern end once it warms up a little. Will keep that in mind.

Gotta race the new big bike at Stromlo on the weekend first

mtbr member
    Took the wife on a ride through the Paluma rain forrest. Rode from the township out the the Lake and back again. 32km round trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did we all ride on the weekend?-img_0222.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-img_0223.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-img_0224.jpg  

What did we all ride on the weekend?-img_0225.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I rode yellowmundy (Sydney) and fred caterson park after Xmas.
    Then I put a 44T chainring on my hard tail and harassed the roadies on the M7, most of them can beat me in a sprint but have to let me pass after about 2 hills, love seeing them take off when they realise they are being overtaken by a bike with 1.9" mtb tyres.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This thread was, once upon a time, the Victorian hand holder's club's hottest single speed go-to thread. So, where have they gone to?

The most active thread once, in MTB's Aussie/Kiwi Section ... looks really quiet now, without the noisy Vic-Cong?

Here is where I've been lately, on the BNT. In New England and Barrington and in the High Country close to home, and doing some Rail Trail stuff (finally), in Victoria and in SE Qld ... and exploring the dry as a nut Riverina.

Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

It has been far too hot to do much for weeks, here in the SE and Summer's light is harsh generally, for good photography ... so I've banged out a few water colour works of my travels instead.

I can't wait for a cool change to start coming through. "It wont happen overnight," to quote Raechel Hunter ... "but it will happen!"

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 03-12-2016 at 02:25 AM.

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wassa View Post
    This thread was, once upon a time, the Victorian hand holder's club's hottest single speed go-to thread. So, where have they gone to?

The most active thread once, in MTB's Aussie/Kiwi Section ... looks really quiet now, without the noisy Vic-Cong?

Here is where I've been lately, on the BNT. In New England and Barrington and in the High Country close to home, and doing some Rail Trail stuff (finally), in Victoria and in SE Qld ... and exploring the dry as a nut Riverina.

Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

It has been far too hot to do much for weeks, here in the SE and Summer's light is harsh generally, for good photography ... so I've banged out a few water colour works of my travels instead.

I can't wait for a cool change to start coming through. "It wont happen overnight," to quote Raechel Hunter ... "but it will happen!"

Warren.
    Oh Warren....

I haven't checked in here for a very, very long time, and low and behold there's some gold from you....

Keep up the good work fella.

mtbr member
    Wheres the like button
    Bit like Trump eh??
    Maybe he should build a wall

mtbr member
    Your link don't work Wazza.

At least he hasn't changed.......

Scott is a tool.
    Your link don't work Wazza.

At least he hasn't changed.......
    I'd heard he moved to Victoria....

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Rode 3 out of 4 days over Easter.

Friday morning I was up super early. So early - and in our dying days of daylight savings - that when I got to Kentlyn it was still dark. I hadn't brought lights so had to sit in the car for 30mins or so until there was enough light to ride by.

Did a couple of nice laps of the Rock Trail and then explored some of the other trails that follow the creek and meander through the gully.

Sunday i rode with bloodpuddle Jr. down to the beach, watched the skaters skating, the surfers surfing and then headed home.

Monday I went to Manly Dam. I felt i'd been neglecting the HT since I replaced my dually back in November. Problem is, I seem to have grown accustomed to the 160mm of plush forgiveness that the new dually offers, and scared myself shitless a couple of times adapting back to 90mm of twitchy HT! It didn't help that the Rocket Rons on the HT are nearly baldy bobs as well...

mtbr member
    Rode Saturday and Monday... Saturday was an XC race. Monday was for fun - bit of huckin

-----------------------------------------------------------
    #1 resolution... Ride it like I stole it!!
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Have not done much of any interest this year, only a trip to the new Majura. Other than that I've been keeping it local. Have played around with the sun a bit to get a few pics.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-915702_1708187526124406_862367216_n.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-970571_953072984800863_9078567531974743909_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Great pics, Ben.

mtbr member
    Cheers mate. How good is Kentlyn. Would be a handful in the dark, even with lights.

mtbr member
    Cheers mate. How good is Kentlyn. Would be a handful in the dark, even with lights.
    Yep, Kentlyn is awesome. I only learned about it in the last 12 months too. Every time I go there, I find some new trails to ride. It's also a good option when the trails have been wet, because it drains really well.

Last weekend I was at Loftus on Saturday morning. Somehow, my mojo was missing. Just couldn't seem to get in the groove, and basically rode like an idiot. Made some stupid mistakes, and got away with all of them except one: on a completely flat section of simple singletrack, I managed to OTB. It happened so quickly, I didn't get my hands up, and landed on my face. Not a big impact, but took some skin off and now I'm growing a goatee because I can't shave LOL.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-face-plant.jpg

They don't call me bloodpuddle for nothing, you know...

Sunday morning I took bloodpuddle jr to Old Mans Valley. Had a great ride there with him. He's struggled with the singletrack climb back up to the road in the past, but he managed to clear a lot more of it this time. Good times.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Over the last few weeks I rode over the SW Slopes, to the Riverina then to the edge of the desert in Western NSW. ... but I couldn't ride further than Hillston because localised flooding closed the roads to the West, SW and NW. I then rode South to Darlington Point then back to Albury.

It was wet almost every day. It was a cool ride and very enjoyable ... apart from the Three Cornered Jacks. Hundreds of them.

A few shots ... Warren Hudson's Recent Uploads | Photobucket

Warren.

mtbr member
    We might not see eye to eye Wazza but that a fu$King long way to ride!!! I'm a Riverina boy so I know the distances between those towns.

Heres a pic of mine from a ride I did a month ago or so near Nerriga. Bit of your style of riding.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-28071432781_4ce8af9818_b.jpg

This one is from two weeks ago. Hume Highway to the right, singletrack to the left.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-27899640791_da1706f83b_c.jpg

Planning to take my 6 year old out onto the trails tomorrow on his BMX

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    We might not see eye to eye Wazza.
    I'm sorry to read this Ben, Wassa has two ss' not zzs. I thought that we were on the same sheet Mate,. Me not respecting the lame hand-holding Vic-Cong single speed wankers that think that they are the only jokers to have ever ridden a MTB with passion, is only my long-term lack of respect for them, and it's not with you.

When Vic-Cong riders ride in the underwhelming You Yangs and think that's single track Nervarna ... and belittle those who don't, what more can one say, except what the fcuk. I've an intolerant memory.

I'm guessing your first image above is of Mount Sassafras, where the Red Grounds Track joins the Quilty's Clearing Fire Trail? A top shot, excellent ambiance.

Warren.

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wassa View Post
    I'm sorry to read this Ben, Wassa has two ss' not zzs. I thought that we were on the same sheet Mate,. Me not respecting the lame hand-holding Vic-Cong single speed wankers that think that they are the only jokers to have ever ridden a MTB with passion, is only my long-term lack of respect for them, and it's not with you.

When Vic-Cong riders ride in the underwhelming You Yangs and think that's single track Nervarna ... and belittle those who don't, what more can one say, except what the fcuk. I've an intolerant memory.

I'm guessing your first image above is of Mount Sassafras, where the Red Grounds Track joins the Quilty's Clearing Fire Trail? A top shot, excellent ambiance.

Warren.
    Wazza, *nirvana....

mtbr member
    I've known and ridden with some of those 'single speed cog wankers' for over 10 years. I enjoy riding with them and the trails that they ride. I don't see that im any different to them.

Anyways, more importantly you win the guessing competition as that pretty much the spot you mentioned.

Big hiatus from riding for me, but feeling the love again.

Took the new steed for a trail bash yesterday on some of the loose and rocky stuff around Bendigo, swallowed some orb spiders I do believe....

Backed it up with a quick blast on some of the Goldfields Track.

Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Wow, I've been away for a while...rode my annual local charity event last week Lofty 105 raising funds for a local CFS station. Sorry, no pics, just a little single track & kms of undulating dirt roads, finished off with craft beer & bespoke burgers. A fine way to spend a weekend.
    "The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".

Hells bells, someone's posted in the Aussie section!

I did a 22km loop incorporating some of the Spring Gully trail, would have been 30 but cut short for a family do.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    16km of rocky goodness in Bantry Bay for me today.

mtbr member
    Holy Thread Revivals Batman!!

I was on the road Fri/Sat/Sun..hope to be on the MTB this Friday...for the first time in months

I must say, I'll be glad when this cold Victorian weather pisses off and we start to get some regular spring days. The occasional nice day out, but mostly they coincide with me being at work. What did we all ride on the weekend?-hill.jpg

Swooping is occurring as per normal however....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did we all ride on the weekend?-mag3.jpg  

Less isn't MOAR

Scott is a tool.
    Bringing the gravedig love!

I had my first mtb ride for 6 months. ACL surgery in march....

Was a very gentle roll...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    Holy Thread Revivals Batman!!

I was on the road Fri/Sat/Sun..hope to be on the MTB this Friday...for the first time in months
    Us Kiwi's are too busy... out riding the best trails on God's green Earth

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member

Swooping is occurring as per normal however....
    That's a crazy photo!

Those little bastards are nasty: my poor mum was gouged last week whilst out walking.

mtbr member
    So I'm curious. Obviously there's a handful of people still on this Aust/NZ forum, but it's pretty close to moribund.

I used to be on mtbr a lot, but now visit only rarely.

What mtb social media sources are you using these days?

For me, various facebook groups (mostly Sydney local ones) have replaced the more old skool forums like this one and Rotorburn.

What else are y'all using?

make mine a nine
    I think there's still 6 or 7 people on Rotorburn. I assumed everyone went to Facebook

Just a couple of Facebook pages really. Didn't get on well with a few folks on Rotor-wank. Seems like there are a few who think that forum only needs them and their own world-views.

I ended up getting banned and I don't miss the attitude there a bit.

Overall this forum shits on it.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    #Jealous. Having said that, a mate just moved back to Christchurch...

Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Us Kiwi's are too busy... out riding the best trails on God's green Earth

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk

Just a lazy 18km for me today....went out for breakfast and felt sluggish after that.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Just a lazy 18km for me today....went out for breakfast and felt sluggish after that.
    Almost managed 2.5km with my kid on some new (to us) trails.

Couple of mates who've done stuff all riding are getting their spring keen faces on, so I had a carbon Orbea hardtail dumped on me to go over. Hadn't been ridden for two years, LOL. So I had some fun times going over it and fixing an Avid Juicy with a stuck lever piston, bleeding both brakes, stuffing with the fork etc etc.... Old mate came for a ride and did quite well on his first ride, which we limited to only 13.5km but with a few climbs here and there. The other fella is going to lash out on a new Polygon hardtail...I suggested he just ride his old Raceline for starters as I reckon he'll come out and find out that it's hard work coming back and won't wat to do it again. LOL.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    So I'm curious. Obviously there's a handful of people still on this Aust/NZ forum, but it's pretty close to moribund.

I used to be on mtbr a lot, but now visit only rarely.

What mtb social media sources are you using these days?

For me, various facebook groups (mostly Sydney local ones) have replaced the more old skool forums like this one and Rotorburn.

What else are y'all using?
    Instagram

Best one of the most fun rides of the year so far was yesterday when I went for a play at the local BMX track with my two kids (5 & 7). The 5 year old can now role the smaller jumps and the 7 year old can do the whole thing. Was great just riding with the boys just like I did when I was a kid, keeping it simple.

mtbr member
    Made this a couple of months ago too, should probably share it here as well. It's not always about the singletrack.

https://youtu.be/KM1jlMPoG84

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Ben_M;13390621]It's not always about the singletrack.QUOTE]

No, but mostly it is.

Nice vid!

Unpredictable

Smile

Fun riding.

mtbr member

No, but mostly it is.
    100%

Rode from Tallong to Wingello then into the forest for a bit of highland fling preparation. So it turns out I won't be doing the full fling this year as I struggled with 50ks, so 110k is not going to happen. I've only ever done the full so it feels a bit sad to be dropping down a level for the last one. However, it will be a more enjoyable day this way.Anyone else going?

What did we all ride on the weekend?-37264960594_47a489098b_c.jpg

mtbr member
    100%

Rode from Tallong to Wingello then into the forest for a bit of highland fling preparation. So it turns out I won't be doing the full fling this year as I struggled with 50ks, so 110k is not going to happen. I've only ever done the full so it feels a bit sad to be dropping down a level for the last one. However, it will be a more enjoyable day this way.Anyone else going?

Name:	37264960594_47a489098b_c.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	1164367
    Not Flinging this year. Disappointed since Iíve done it about 8 times (4 full + 4 half), but didnít work for me.

On the up side, I had a great ride at Mt Narra this morning. Itís easily the toughest ride I do around sydney. Killer climb AND killer descents. 15km there and Iím absolutely toasted.

Cracker of a morning too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Did the Atherton loop, had a blast!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Members who have read this thread: 7