mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Queenstown trail access and NZ question

I am planning to be in New Zealand in February and would like to do some biking. If I am staying in Queenstown do I need a vehicle to access the trails for cross country mountain biking? Looking for intermediate single track. Enjoy climbing and descents that aren't too technical.

Also is it possible to tour around the south island on easy single track, or if I want to tour is it better to just get a road/touring bike?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I haven't looked into it but I think most of your touring rid be roads, though it might be possible to work out a route that covers more gravel and less tarmac. There is definitely some riding withing parking distance of the Queenstown CBD, but having a vehicle would greatly increase your options afaik.

slow
    Since we hired a car with no bike rack, we hired bikes in town and rode to the tracks. We were able to ride to the tracks at Seven Mile Point and to the Skyline bike park from our Holiday Park. We were not in town long enough to find out other options, and it has been several years since our last visit to the South Island, so there may be additional options now.

ready to ride
    I just back from riding the South Island for two weeks. Short answer is yes, you need transportation. You could do jacks point. I did that the first day after flying forever so really just to stretch the legs. Scenery is beautiful. The track wasnít anything special.

I didnít use them this year and I canít which company I used but there are several that do shuttle services. You best bet would be to use one of them and go up to Coronet. Do rude rock, pack track and sack, and zoots. The shuttle will give work out the routes etc. I got them to drop me at the coronet skinfiel basically where you start rude rock and I did the coronet XC out and back the. Dropped rude and zoots again. Had to pedal back to town. But wasnít horrible. Mostly downhill.

As for touring. Search for A2O or Alps to Ocean. I did the Omarama to twizel section. Which was reverse of their route but worked for my girlfriend dropping me off so she could do some hikes. Trail was pretty boring in terms of mountain biking. However the scenery with Mt Cook and lake Ohau in the background was pretty spectacular.

Iím going to try to post a full report to the thread I started asking for advice a few down. So many different types of riding in NZ. Bring your legs some of it is quite steep. Have a great time. If you donít itís only your fault