Biking Australia? Beware of the MAGPIE!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Biking Australia? Beware of the MAGPIE!

I've been mountain biking in North America for over 15 years. When possible, I also enjoy riding in other areas of the world.

Recently I had the opportunity to visit Sydney and thought it would be fun to sample the local riding there. I actually decided to take a ferry up to Manly where some trails were located. It rained some that day and was pretty cold, but the trails weren't too bad and the ride was good.

However, as I was riding back into the city, a bird struck the side of my helmet. I was stunned and immediately thought, "wow what a freak coincidence that I just rode into a bird." Never had that happen before. Kept pedaling.

5-10 seconds later, another hit on my helmet, this time to the back of my head, quickly followed by another strike on the side. I rode for 20 more feet and was hit again. I immediately stopped the bike and got off. When I turned around and scanned the area, up in a tree just glaring at me was this black bird. Some locals were nearby and had seen my panic. They informed me that this was a common occurrence, especially during that time of year.

I was genuinely paranoid at that point, and decided to walk my bike back to the dock, with my head on a swivel the entire way.

Animal encounters can be exciting, scary, or interesting. This was downright frightening lol. After the experience, I did some reading and have a much better understanding of what happened. But for anyone planning to ride in Australia during certain times of the year, beware of the Australian Magpie!
    2015 RM Thunderbolt 750
    2018 RM Thunderbolt BC Edition

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    cable ties on the helmet
    pretend eyes on the back of your helmet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking Australia? Beware of the MAGPIE!-maggie.jpg  

always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    LOL that pic is hilarious. See I noticed these dots on the back of the helmet provided with the rental, and at first I wondered if that's why it was attacking me. But after I read more about it, I guess it was supposed to prevent it like you suggested.

Biking Australia? Beware of the MAGPIE!-image1.jpg
    2015 RM Thunderbolt 750
    2018 RM Thunderbolt BC Edition

Out spokin'
    Better hit by a magpie than a cow pie!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    We have those pest birds in New Zealand as well. Someone thought it was a good idea to bring them to our shores.
    I have been hit several times by them. They become very aggressive in the spring time when nesting. A very territorial creature. I have watched them chase away Hawks 3-4 times their size in flight.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Ahh yes....bloody magpies. I've been hit more times than I can remember and had my ear and above one eye opened up by these a#$eholes. Having tried zip ties and fake eyes I now just use them as an excuse for impromptu sprint intervals.
    All said and done I'd rather be swooped by a bird than come across a bear on a trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieJeffVader View Post
    Ahh yes....bloody magpies. I've been hit more times than I can remember and had my ear and above one eye opened up by these a#$eholes. Having tried zip ties and fake eyes I now just use them as an excuse for impromptu sprint intervals.
    All said and done I'd rather be swooped by a bird than come across a bear on a trail.
    At least the bloody aussie import can be shot here in NZ, a real pest for sure and very persistent till you move away from it's nest sight. They are clever birds and soon work out that cyclists make easy targets.
    So be aware that come spring time you may be bombed repeatedly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    A dude I know got a couple of the best magpie photos I've ever seen a couple of years back: https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...-us-your-news/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking Australia? Beware of the MAGPIE!-r0_0_750_938_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Pretty cool helmet cam photo of a killer Magpie in Australia showed up on Facebook recently:Biking Australia? Beware of the MAGPIE!-69958216_10157551539119700_5281363959239147520_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Damn, the Magpies just got real...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/15/austr...cli/index.html