Bike Import to Sydney, Australia- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Bike Import to Sydney, Australia

Hi All,

I will be travelling from Mumbai (India) to Sydney and I plan to carry my own personal bicycle. The bicycle will be packed in a box and will be part of my checked in luggage.

I want to know apart from the cycle to be clean of dust and soil, what are the other pre-requisites that i should take care of?

Also Grease/oil on the chain is allowed? or do i purchase a new chain? Are there any customs rules that i should be aware of?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Free from dust and soil should be enough. Grease and oil on the chain shouldn't be an issue, other than maybe the gunk that can build up in the jockey wheels of the deraileur some times. They may also ask if you have any other gear that could have dirt etc on it, like riding shoes or a pack. So have those handy to show them as well (good to stick in the bike box as extra padding!)

One spot I've been caught with a bit of dirt before was the underside of the seat, that just cleaned it off and I was good to go.

This was bringing a bike back into Australia from NZ, so don't think there would be anything extra to worry about coming from India.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks a ton Garth, this helps, and to pack all the cycle gear in the box itself is a good idea. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    No problem. On my recent trip to NZ, I took a small bag carry on with clothes, and everything else in the bike box, which counted as my single piece of luggage. I was only going for 4 days though, so didn't need too many normal clothes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Ahh, I am moving from India to Australia and i would be carrying a bit of luggage, in total with the cycle it would be about 40kgs to 45kgs.
    Its a simple cycle - Schwinn Sporterra sport 2012 but i just dont want to leave it behind in India.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just make sure there is no dust or soil on your bike or shoes. Grease is OK but dirt freaks them out and you may have to pay for it to be cleaned

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    If the bike is less than spotless, you will likely be hit with a large bill for them steam cleaning the bike.
    Foreign germs, bugs and dirt are taken very seriously at border control.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Yep, like rifraf mentions, doing 'a good enough job' with the cleaning isn't anywhere near good enough when it comes to crossing international borders. Take it from someone who's been stung by this before. Safe to say I now *thoroughly* clean / disinfect everything. Don't forget accessories, either!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Aussie (and NZ) is justifiably zealous in protecting its horticultural and meat/fish export industry.

Much more now that serious breeches have occurred in the past to their detriment.

mtbr member
    This is a two and a half year old thread...

I always buy new tires when traveling to island countries like NZ ans AUS... Goes a long way with the agents there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacha Wacha Wacha View Post
    This is a two and a half year old thread...
    True but still a pertinent thread for cyclists from around the world travelling to Oceanea today, especially given the govt.'s of both countries having cycle tourism currently under the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacha Wacha Wacha View Post
    I always buy new tires when traveling to island countries like NZ ans AUS... Goes a long way with the agents there.
    An excellent methodology that I've utilised myself rather than spending time with the task of scrubbing tires with a brush and detergent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    especially given the govt.'s of both countries having cycle tourism currently under the spotlight.
    I must have not heard, what's going on? You mean just the popularity of it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    NZ and Au govts have relatively recently embraced and supported via some funding, cycle trails etc like the Munda Biddi Trail in Australia and opening up the "Great Walks" eg Heaphy Track, to cyclists in the off season. Rail trails in both countries spring to mind ect ect.
    Its now been acknowledged that there is a real role for cycle tourism in both countries.
    Without some local govt support, I doubt trails like the Tasmanian Trail and what's happening in Denby (Tas) would have happened.
    I'm not suggesting that these are govt initiatives per say but that they are finally being acknowledged at some levels, unlike not so long ago.

Whilst I had little like for NZ's last govt, I'm grateful for them contributing to the vision of cycleways from one end of the country to the other.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Cycle_Trail

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Typing in the search engine "NZ's cycleway vision" I spot
    https://www.newzealand.com/au/feature/cycle-trails/
    (which I've not spotted before)

and the NZ govt webpages of the Minister of Business, Innovation and Employment:
    https://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-servic...nd-cycle-trail

Heres one for Tasmania
    https://www.stategrowth.tas.gov.au/_..._September.pdf

These are but a few examples I quickly threw together that represent a big change of focus and ethos that I've only recently become aware of.

I'll let you google for what ever state of Aus that your interested in.

Does that adequately respond to your question?