Results 1 to 77 of 77
  1. #1
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,272

    Zero Tolerance Policy

    Whatever happened to this sticky? Seemed to make life bearable around here for at least a while last year. I dunno, maybe its time to ressurect it. I'd bump it but it's locked. As it stands, this forum is getting unbearable (and yes I know I can just not click it).

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...32&postcount=1

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swamp ThAAng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeerguy
    Whatever happened to this sticky? Seemed to make life bearable around here for at least a while last year. I dunno, maybe its time to ressurect it. I'd bump it but it's locked. As it stands, this forum is getting unbearable (and yes I know I can just not click it).

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...32&postcount=1
    Seems weird, coming from a user that joined the month before last, and has 17 posts. Who are you, in real MTBR life? Do we need a Scooby-Doo demasking?
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

  3. #3
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp ThAAng
    Seems weird, coming from a user that joined the month before last, and has 17 posts. Who are you, in real MTBR life? Do we need a Scooby-Doo demasking?
    Took a break. Came back. Dismayed to see its the same old, same old around here.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    440
    I'm inclined to agree with the OP.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Milos''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeerguy
    Took a break. Came back. Dismayed to see its the same old, same old around here.
    It must be tough for you set foot outside your house or do you have people with disclaimer billboards clear the way for you ?

    Love,
    Milos'

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeerguy
    Whatever happened to this sticky? Seemed to make life bearable around here for at least a while last year. I dunno, maybe its time to ressurect it. I'd bump it but it's locked. As it stands, this forum is getting unbearable (and yes I know I can just not click it).

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...32&postcount=1
    Is there a particular reason you decide to bring up zero tolerance policies on 4/20?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swamp ThAAng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Milos'
    It must be tough for you set foot outside your house or do you have people with disclaimer billboards clear the way for you ?

    Love,
    Milos'
    PERSONAL ATTACK!!!
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

  8. #8
    bland
    Reputation: m77ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,293
    "HEY INTERNET! STOP BEING THE INTERNET!!!"

    That makes a few too many posts from me in a day. I better go ride my bike before summer ends.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Strongbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    153
    At least it's not me being attacked...
    Yeah, well, the Dude abides.

  10. #10
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,273
    It was better when there was more goofing on people.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  11. #11
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    It was better when there was more goofing on people.
    Pirate.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  12. #12
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64
    Pirate.
    Not gonna say what type of pirate.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  13. #13
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Not gonna say what type of pirate.
    I assume it ain't a "sweet pirate"

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    It was better when there was more goofing on people.
    I agree.

    Lighten up people.

  15. #15
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Not gonna say what type of pirate.
    All real pirate's have a wooden leg. Have you not read your history books with all this time off.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  16. #16
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64
    All real pirate's have a wooden leg. Have you not read your history books with all this time off.
    He's in denial, cause he's about to get his wooden leg if he dosen't keep it elevated.

  17. #17
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    He's in denial, cause he's about to get his wooden leg if he dosen't keep it elevated.
    and he needs to put the legging on which will help with the fluid build up.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  18. #18
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    One of these years I'm going to work out the math on the correlation between the daily high temp and the # of "report bad post" emails I get on average each day. Right now it's looking like about 1 per +5 over 75. It probably maxes out at around 5/day (i.e. it's the same whether it's 100 or more), unless someone's panties get serious wadded up, then all that fancy math goes right out the door. :-)
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  19. #19
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    One of these years I'm going to work out the math on the correlation between the daily high temp and the # of "report bad post" emails I get on average each day. Right now it's looking like about 1 per +5 over 75. It probably maxes out at around 5/day (i.e. it's the same whether it's 100 or more), unless someone's panties get serious wadded up, then all that fancy math goes right out the door. :-)
    Why not just make a sticky with names and totals. That way I can work on improving my avg.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    One of these years I'm going to work out the math on the correlation between the daily high temp and the # of "report bad post" emails I get on average each day. Right now it's looking like about 1 per +5 over 75. It probably maxes out at around 5/day (i.e. it's the same whether it's 100 or more), unless someone's panties get serious wadded up, then all that fancy math goes right out the door. :-)
    Paul, how about you post the Best Of "report bad post" emails you get? Keep them anonymous? That will keep us bad seeds occupied, I bet.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  21. #21
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    That's def a recipe for panty waddage on a massive scale.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  22. #22
    Shifted
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeerguy
    Whatever happened to this sticky? Seemed to make life bearable around here for at least a while last year. I dunno, maybe its time to ressurect it. I'd bump it but it's locked. As it stands, this forum is getting unbearable (and yes I know I can just not click it).

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...32&postcount=1
    Myself, being a car guy that frequents car forums and local SCCA and NASA forums, I think this mtbr Arizona forum is a bit strange in it's ways but I'm learning to just take it as it is (more of a social forum than event and or technically informative). I however would like to see the more technical related threads policed a lot better than the rant threads though. And yes, threads like this would be considered a rant thread in my book. I'm okay with most of the rant threads as they are quite comedy and offer practice to make witty jokes and piss trolls off
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmmUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    One of these years I'm going to work out the math on the correlation between the daily high temp and the # of "report bad post" emails I get on average each day. Right now it's looking like about 1 per +5 over 75. It probably maxes out at around 5/day (i.e. it's the same whether it's 100 or more), unless someone's panties get serious wadded up, then all that fancy math goes right out the door. :-)
    That's actually a predictive relation you are proposing so you would want a regression model instead of a correlation

  24. #24
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    TIL something!
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  25. #25
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    One of these years I'm going to work out the math on the correlation between the daily high temp and the # of "report bad post" emails I get on average each day. Right now it's looking like about 1 per +5 over 75. It probably maxes out at around 5/day (i.e. it's the same whether it's 100 or more), unless someone's panties get serious wadded up, then all that fancy math goes right out the door. :-)
    Was that a personal attack of my panties? How dare you, who is the mod for the mods.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Phil Damnit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    82
    LOL that supposed sticky thread makes me think of the guy that fell off the "cliff" out of papago... how bout you grow a pair and man up. Man talk a.k.a. **** talking is part of life.... the end. BTW your welcome thang
    Customtacos.com is my facebook

  27. #27
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    Was that a personal attack of my panties? How dare you, who is the mod for the mods.
    Behold my awesome panty-wadding power.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  28. #28
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Behold my awesome panty-wadding power.
    file a report to gregg he is the super duper uper mod. Powers that only the one ring can give a person!

    but first check in on the walmart bike thread and make a panty wadding comment:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=684121
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  29. #29
    banned
    Reputation: Mr_Nice_Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by will-lee wonka
    I'm inclined to agree with the OP.
    +1...

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swamp ThAAng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Damnit
    LOL that supposed sticky thread makes me think of the guy that fell off the "cliff" out of papago... how bout you grow a pair and man up. Man talk a.k.a. **** talking is part of life.... the end. BTW your welcome thang
    I know! What the heck would PD do if I never said to him what a S****Y Steelsman he is. His panties would actually not wad up, and life would sure be boring around these parts.
    Any time Steely Dam!
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

  31. #31
    AKA shitbird
    Reputation: eabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,342
    Serious business this mountain bike stuff. No laughter allowed, ride reports only. Shhh, you're typing too loud!

    PS, your balls are showing...
    JRA

  32. #32
    powered by bacon
    Reputation: helidave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    440

  33. #33
    Hikers=SHlT
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeerguy
    Whatever happened to this sticky? Seemed to make life bearable around here for at least a while last year. I dunno, maybe its time to ressurect it. I'd bump it but it's locked. As it stands, this forum is getting unbearable (and yes I know I can just not click it).

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...32&postcount=1
    It's the internet, man. If you don't like a forum, don't post there. Simple as that. There are a million other message boards out there that cater to sensitive types with an intolerance to free speech.

  34. #34
    banned
    Reputation: Mr_Nice_Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by StabMasta
    sensitive types with an intolerance to free speech.
    I agree with you to a point, but feel that its worth noting this is a "privately owned" site and free speech protections do not apply here. You sign up, you agree to terms, if you don't hold up your end of the bargain they can kick your a$$ out without reason. So I'd be careful walking around here holding up a copy of the first amendment. I've seen this site burn people up for far less than the crap that has been perpetrated in this forum over the last 6 or so months. Not sure why PaulB and rockcrusher have gotten so lazy about enforcing it, I don't know maybe they are just burnt out.

    While I can see where the OP might be a little oversensitive and could just choose not to use the forum, I do agree with him that this forum has been going downhill fast over the past year. Why do you think most of the respected posters and older group have moved off this site to Facebook and the like to organize their exclusive group rides?

  35. #35
    Hikers=SHlT
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy
    I agree with you to a point, but feel that its worth noting this is a "privately owned" site and free speech protections do not apply here. You sign up, you agree to terms, if you don't hold up your end of the bargain they can kick your a$$ out without reason. So I'd be careful walking around here holding up a copy of the first amendment. I've seen this site burn people up for far less than the crap that has been perpetrated in this forum over the last 6 or so months. Not sure why PaulB and rockcrusher have gotten so lazy about enforcing it, I don't know maybe they are just burnt out.

    While I can see where the OP might be a little oversensitive and could just choose not to use the forum, I do agree with him that this forum has been going downhill fast over the past year. Why do you think most of the respected posters and older group have moved off this site to Facebook and the like to organize their exclusive group rides?
    I understand the privately owned aspect of this forum and the countless others out there. I also remember when I was a kid and a spoiled brat down the street never wanted to share his swing set with the other kids on the block. Eventually, nobody want to hang out at his house anymore because he was a nazi. That said, I've seen a lot of over-moderate forums crumble while other sites (pirate 4x4 for example) thrive.

  36. #36
    Shifted
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    261
    since this thread doesn't have enough RANT type character yet, I'll add some grade A Forum content





    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

  37. #37
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,378
    On a serious note, I know that all of you think that the forum policies are designed to protect the overly sensitive types from internet e-tough guy acts, but in reality, unlike other forums mentioned that cater to adults, such as car and work type forums, mountain biking is a family sport. Young people, old enough to ride and use the internet can use and get information from our site, and are encouraged to participate.

    Therefore we like to keep it rated G, PG at worst. Something that wouldn't turn away kids or their parents from our site or sport .

    Sometimes it helps to think outside of your e-tough guy, internet biggest baddest man, MTBR is protecting the sensitive type conspiracy theories, ego and look at the real reason that this site is moderated. Think about it some time.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  38. #38
    Shifted
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    On a serious note, I know that all of you think that the forum policies are designed to protect the overly sensitive types from internet e-tough guy acts, but in reality, unlike other forums mentioned that cater to adults, such as car and work type forums, mountain biking is a family sport. Young people, old enough to ride and use the internet can use and get information from our site, and are encouraged to participate.

    Therefore we like to keep it rated G, PG at worst. Something that wouldn't turn away kids or their parents from our site or sport .

    Sometimes it helps to think outside of your e-tough guy, internet biggest baddest man, MTBR is protecting the sensitive type conspiracy theories, ego and look at the real reason that this site is moderated. Think about it some time.
    I'm with you on this. I think forums policies should mainly exist for legal reasons and to create a culture in which the private owner(s) want. It really doesn't feel like this AZ forum is treated with enough respect in regards to a larger community. Some people just don't give a flip what others think. Even though I joined mtbr back in 09, over that past year I've just started to get more active on here and while I don't exactly feel all warm and fuzzy about this community, I still think it appeals to me as something I still want to be apart of.

    I wouldn't exactly say car forums are for adults as I can site many examples of where 16yr olds are on car forums posting away and I sure don't consider them adults. Even certain club related Car forums like AZsolo.com get personal, overly witty and offensive but that's just life. Bad apples or not, like everything else, opinions are opinions and we all have a$$e$. People just need to keep some good ol kind morals in mind everyonce in while before showing their backside to the public.. .

    Have a good one!
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

  39. #39
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Well....it's a fine line. Too strict and it squelches vigorous debate, too loose and the signal-to-noise ratio goes sour and good posters (and many many lurkers) just stop showing up.

    So it's a constant challenge, I admit. We do what we can. What we can't do -- well, what I won't do -- is aggressively and proactively scour every thread every day on the lookout for breaches.That's what the "report bad post" button is for. For serious, if you feel like someone's crossing the line, let us know. But please don't abuse the button, otherwise we'll just start ignoring you.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  40. #40
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Well....it's a fine line. Too strict and it squelches vigorous debate, too loose and the signal-to-noise ratio goes sour and good posters (and many many lurkers) just stop showing up.

    So it's a constant challenge, I admit. We do what we can. What we can't do -- well, what I won't do -- is aggressively and proactively scour every thread every day on the lookout for breaches.That's what the "report bad post" button is for. For serious, if you feel like someone's crossing the line, let us know. But please don't abuse the button, otherwise we'll just start ignoring you.

    I agree. I constantly have people chafed at me for telling them that it is their job to police their threads. If the thread degrades use the report post button, use the ignore list, and most of all don't respond back to things that will cause the thread to go off topic in the first place.

    The line of defense starts at the OP and ends with the moderator, but as Paul said, there are 282532 users here and it is near impossible to keep our eyes on every post, every user and everything said in the past, especially when a considerable amount of our time is spent responding to and banning the actual spambots and their like.

    So if you don't like it report it and if someone constantly says thing you don't like put them on your ignore list.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  41. #41
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,182
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    I agree. I constantly have people chafed at me for telling them that it is their job to police their threads. If the thread degrades use the report post button, use the ignore list, and most of all don't respond back to things that will cause the thread to go off topic in the first place.

    The line of defense starts at the OP and ends with the moderator, but as Paul said, there are 282532 users here and it is near impossible to keep our eyes on every post, every user and everything said in the past, especially when a considerable amount of our time is spent responding to and banning the actual spambots and their like.

    So if you don't like it report it and if someone constantly says thing you don't like put them on your ignore list.

    can I put you on my ignore list?

  42. #42
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    but as Paul said, there are 282532 users here and it is near impossible to keep our eyes on every post, every user and everything said in the past,.
    Slackers.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  43. #43
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    I agree. I constantly have people chafed at me for telling them that it is their job to police their threads. If the thread degrades use the report post button, use the ignore list, and most of all don't respond back to things that will cause the thread to go off topic in the first place.

    The line of defense starts at the OP and ends with the moderator, but as Paul said, there are 282532 users here and it is near impossible to keep our eyes on every post, every user and everything said in the past, especially when a considerable amount of our time is spent responding to and banning the actual spambots and their like.

    So if you don't like it report it and if someone constantly says thing you don't like put them on your ignore list.
    sometimes ignore lists are not enough. when people are leaving skidmarks all over everything they touch, self-correction eventually needs to involve direct rebukes. Its our forum. Let us police it.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  44. #44
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    can I put you on my ignore list?

    Pretty sure you can. Want me to walk you through it?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  45. #45
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    sometimes ignore lists are not enough. when people are leaving skidmarks all over everything they touch, self-correction eventually needs to involve direct rebukes. Its our forum. Let us police it.
    definitely what i am suggesting. Just remember that that elusive line crossed can run both ways. What one might determine as just infuriatingly annoying the response might cross the line and get the rebuker rebuked.

    When it doubt report that post.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    The line of defense starts at the OP and ends with the moderator, but as Paul said, there are 282532 users here and it is near impossible to keep our eyes on every post, every user and everything said in the past, especially when a considerable amount of our time is spent responding to and banning the actual spambots and their like.
    If you had some kind of alert system in place--say when flagged users post, there's an alert to check the board for inappropriate posts. I can think of a couple users who should be on that list (one of them starts with a S and ends with an E).
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  47. #47
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    If you had some kind of alert system in place--say when flagged users post, there's an alert to check the board for inappropriate posts. I can think of a couple users who should be on that list (one of them starts with a S and ends with an E).
    I dunno. I think I would spend all day checking practically every user on the AZ board each and every time they post, myself included.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  48. #48
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,182
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    Pretty sure you can. Want me to walk you through it?
    you could, but it would be pointless, as you cannot ignore the moderator.

  49. #49
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,182
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    I dunno. I think I would spend all day checking practically every user on the AZ board each and every time they post, myself included.
    everyone should be checking everyone else. We need to eliminate the element of communication. Everything should be so that there can be no responses and no posting.

  50. #50
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    definitely what i am suggesting. Just remember that that elusive line crossed can run both ways. What one might determine as just infuriatingly annoying the response might cross the line and get the rebuker rebuked.

    When it doubt report that post.
    you and esp Paul know i respect what you try to do. but reporting someone to the teacher? Not my style. By that time the skidmark's been left, and will crap all over something else soon. We don't live in vacuums, even on the internet. common law is established by the common denominator, not the ACLU. Getting in the way of self-corrections towards a broad median only protects those society would be better off without.

    This is what I'm talking about:
    http://nation.foxnews.com/culture/20...estboro-freaks
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  51. #51
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    you could, but it would be pointless, as you cannot ignore the moderator.
    hmmm then you see the conundrum I am in as well for I cannot ignore you as a moderator either.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Everything should be so that there can be no responses and no posting.
    Wait, now we're onto something. If we can't post, that would free us up for more things like trail improvements and self-master baiting, er, masturbating.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  53. #53
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    you and esp Paul know i respect what you try to do. but reporting someone to the teacher? Not my style. By that time the skidmark's been left, and will crap all over something else soon. We don't live in vacuums, even on the internet. common law is established by the common denominator, not the ACLU. Getting in the way of self-corrections towards a broad median only protects those society would be better off without.

    This is what I'm talking about:
    https://nation.foxnews.com/culture/2...estboro-freaks

    I understand but this is how the internets work:



    this is how the moderator works: investigate, warning, lock, timeout, ban and IP block.

    One works better than the other here (generally).
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  54. #54
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,182
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    hmmm then you see the conundrum I am in as well for I cannot ignore you as a moderator either.
    perhaps we can just send letters to each other instead of using this medium.

  55. #55
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    perhaps we can just send letters to each other instead of using this medium.
    what's a letter?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  56. #56
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,182
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    what's a letter?

    I don't know. Some sort of hippie thing.

  57. #57
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher

    this is how the moderator works: investigate, warning, lock, timeout, ban and IP block.
    needlessly complicated for you. and needlessly painful for the rest of us. Your system protects those who abuse it.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  58. #58
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    But "self-policing" results in a massive uptick of noise. Massive, massive uptick. Forum usage plummets until it blows over. Nobody is served by that, other than the noisemakers who are getting exactly what they want: attention.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  59. #59
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    But "self-policing" results in a massive uptick of noise. Massive, massive uptick. Forum usage plummets until it blows over. Nobody is served by that, other than the noisemakers who are getting exactly what they want: attention.
    Is it really this bad around here? For the most part I see a little banter and some riding discussed. If people are getting so wound up over what's posted here at MTBR. I would hate to see their reaction to something really important in life. Unless one bans posting! One will not sanitize an open forum in my opinion.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chipolopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    If you had some kind of alert system in place--say when flagged users post, there's an alert to check the board for inappropriate posts. I can think of a couple users who should be on that list (one of them starts with a S and ends with an E).
    But isn't a post and sig. line precisely like this what this thread is about...This forum is a place of business for somebody. When only a few log on to "play" and the lurkers and casual posters get run off by the HPCH (high post count hostility) the forum actually looses.

    Advertisers need to know that their dollars are being spent in front of a particular demographic, when they see it is not they take their advertising dollars elsewhere, again the forum looses.

    I am looking at a radio shack add to the right of the screen right now, would they approve of this? It doesn't matter what I think. If they pull adds, again the forum looses.

    I pulled the wrong post to quote, but I think you get it.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chipolopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Wait, now we're onto something. If we can't post, that would free us up for more things like trail improvements and self-master baiting, er, masturbating.
    This is the intended quote. Nice stuff

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo
    This is the intended quote. Nice stuff
    You make a good point, and something I honestly never thought about. MTBR is a business, and they count on this being a place people can come for advice, etc.

    To be completley honest, this does make me look at the issues being raised here a bit differently.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  63. #63
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64
    Is it really this bad around here? For the most part I see a little banter and some riding discussed. If people are getting so wound up over what's posted here at MTBR. I would hate to see their reaction to something really important in life. Unless one bans posting! One will not sanitize an open forum in my opinion.
    The fact that it's being discussed means, yes, it's that bad for some forum users around here. Not everyone shares identical values. It's pretty crazy to think that owning and riding a bicycle gives everyone a similar outlook.

    There are plenty of other forums out there that are no-holds-barred hatefests. I encourage folks who want that vibe to seek out your options.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  64. #64
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    You make a good point, and something I honestly never thought about. MTBR is a business, and they count on this being a place people can come for advice, etc.

    To be completley honest, this does make me look at the issues being raised here a bit differently.
    Well no sh*t, Jeff.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  65. #65
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    But "self-policing" results in a massive uptick of noise. Massive, massive uptick. Forum usage plummets until it blows over. Nobody is served by that, other than the noisemakers who are getting exactly what they want: attention.
    So to recap:

    --self-policing does not work since it leads to lots of noise
    --the moderators' due process doesn't work cause it has no real teeth and is not timely, and one can still do things like call people nazis without any repercussions, where in real life that person would get, at best, told to leave the ride\conversation\office.
    --the ignore list still passes email, and does not block quotations of the ignored person.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  66. #66
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    So to recap:

    --self-policing does not work since it leads to lots of noise
    --the moderators' due process doesn't work cause it has no real teeth and is not timely, and one can still do things like call people nazis without any repercussions, where in real life that person would get, at best, told to leave the ride\conversation\office.
    --the ignore list still passes email, and does not block quotations of the ignored person.
    That's an excellent encapsulation.

    Real self-policing means starving the trolls of the only thing they need/cravy, attention, and that means reporting them to us so we can boot them, and not responding to them.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  67. #67
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    The fact that it's being discussed means, yes, it's that bad for some forum users around here. Not everyone shares identical values. It's pretty crazy to think that owning and riding a bicycle gives everyone a similar outlook.

    There are plenty of other forums out there that are no-holds-barred hatefests. I encourage folks who want that vibe to seek out your options.
    Amazing, never occurred to me to so worked up over Internet posts one way or another. Sure people have opinions and such. But to run and tattle all day because ones feelings are hurt. I've seen very few posts lately that are not acceptable for the masses.

    Either way no worries not trying to stir anything up. I just don't see the need to be so sensitive over a forum post.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  68. #68
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    If it were up to me, I'd have three -- just three -- forum rules.

    1) Don't act like you're entitled to anything.

    2) Don't assume anything about anyone.

    3) Don't be a dick.

    Man that would go a long, long way toward a civil, adult experience. And yet we have a few posters who can't seem to manage to post without breaking at least one, and more typically all three, of these at once.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  69. #69
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    That's an excellent encapsulation.

    Real self-policing means starving the trolls of the only thing they need/cravy, attention, and that means reporting them to us so we can boot them, and not responding to them.
    so how many more people does Skidmark have to call a Nazi, then smile and joke about what a clever fellow he is? Where I grew up, that was like calling someone the N word, with similar real-world consequences. If you want people to respect your authority, you need to do more than ReCycle my calling someone out for that.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  70. #70
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Well hell man, why has nobody told me that this Skidmark character is a problem child? Seriously, no "report bad post" emails. No PMs. Nothing.

    We're not psychic. We don't have time to be everywhere all the time.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  71. #71
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Well hell man, why has nobody told me that this Skidmark character is a problem child? Seriously, no "report bad post" emails. No PMs. Nothing.

    We're not psychic. We don't have time to be everywhere all the time.
    respected riders...guys who don't get into the negativity...telling him to eff off pretty much every time he posts didn't clue you in?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  72. #72
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    respected riders...guys who don't get into the negativity...telling him to eff off pretty much every time he posts didn't clue you in?
    What part of "we don't have time to read every thread" did you not catch the first time?

    I just did a quick sweep of user "skidmark"'s posts and nothing seemed amiss. Please find me a thread where he posted and it was offensive or a personal attack so I can investigate further, because I suspect it's a different user -- maybe a space or something.

    This right here is why we have the "report bad post" functionality. The function is fine. It's the users who are broken (by feeling entitled to mods who read every post every day, which, once again, we do not do. )

    /vent

    Also, I'm fighting a raging fever, going to the hospital in an hour, and this is making me feel like I'm talking to a bunch of brick walls.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    What part of "we don't have time to read every thread" did you not catch the first time?

    I just did a quick sweep of user "skidmark"'s posts and nothing seemed amiss. Please find me a thread where he posted and it was offensive or a personal attack so I can investigate further, because I suspect it's a different user -- maybe a space or something.

    This right here is why we have the "report bad post" functionality. The function is fine. It's the users who are broken (by feeling entitled to mods who read every post every day, which, once again, we do not do. )

    /vent

    Also, I'm fighting a raging fever, going to the hospital in an hour, and this is making me feel like I'm talking to a bunch of brick walls.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think CB is talking about a UN called Skidmark. Wasn't there a recent thread that got taking off titled "Skidmark?" That might give you some insight.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  74. #74
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    There's also a user "Skidhucker". Could that be the same?

    Help us do the investigative work and we can get stuff done!
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  75. #75
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,267
    Recycle bin.

  76. #76
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    There's also a user "Skidhucker". Could that be the same?

    Help us do the investigative work and we can get stuff done!
    ok, we'll try it your way.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...nt=1&p=7974061

    RandyBoy needs to stop wiping his @$$ all over this forum.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  77. #77
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    ok, we'll try it your way.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...nt=1&p=7974061

    RandyBoy needs to stop wiping his @$$ all over this forum.
    please check your PM's as this would be best as a PM topic.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.