Yoga and Mountain Biking (cross-posted to Passion)- Mtbr.com
    Saucy Size

Yoga and Mountain Biking (cross-posted to Passion)

Howdy all,

There's this yoga studio down in Ahwatukee called Chi Yoga (40th and Chandler) that's offering a Mountain Biker's Workshop on March 6. It's a two hour class and it costs $50, but I am super-interested in this. I'm going to write a story about the class (they're going to repeat it if there's enough people) so Chi Yoga will comp my class cost, but I'm curious if anyone else has ever done a mountain biking-specific yoga class? Reply here or email me privately if you have any more info.

Anyhoo, if you're interested in the class, call 'em at 480-704-5952 or email [email protected]. Apparently it's being taught by an actual mountain biker, and the whole thing is the brainchild of an actual mountain biker.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

MTBR Tool
    Interesting - guess I'll wait to see your review.

Saucy Size
    So in good faith I've been hitting yoga class regularly (well, twice) in preparation of this workshop in March. They recommend you get in some actual, normal yoga class time in before doing the more intensive workshop work.

I can totally see why now. For four days after my very first class, I was quite nearly crippled. The sore spots were classic biker weakness areas: hamstrings and hips. And boy, oh boy, were they sore. And class itself was way, way harder than I expected. Nauseated and headachy by the end of the hour, but I felt okay at the end. It was the DOMS that really surprised me.

Second class was much better. I actually rode a bike to class (about 8 miles one way) and back, which I think was a huge help. I showed up warmed up, and got to unwind after the class. I was a lot less sore and wiped out.

I have a strong suspicion that yoga is going to prove to be very helpful to my overall riding fitness. The additional strengthening I'm heading toward in my core muscles, hips, and hamstrings is going to equate to better overall fitness, less soreness, and more endurance.

The studio itself is very nice. Kind of hippy-trippy but the people themselves aren't really like that. I think it's what's expected of a yoga studio. Gotta have the mandalas and the portraits of hairy gurus, or you don't have any street cred with the hardcore crowd.

Now the studio is sort of turning me into a celebrity draw for this workshop. They're throwing in a copy of my book for anyone who takes the class. It sounds like it's filling up pretty good, and there aren't a lot of slots left.

Hope to see some of you there,

p.

Kathleen in AZ
    Hi Paul -

What classes are you taking? I'm interested in taking classes on a regular basis, especially since the studio is maybe 2 miles from my house, but am unsure if I'll be able to take the workshop.

Kathleen

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Hi Paul -

What classes are you taking? I'm interested in taking classes on a regular basis, especially since the studio is maybe 2 miles from my house, but am unsure if I'll be able to take the workshop.

Kathleen
    I'm doing the Level 1-2 Flow class. Twice a week this time (Mon morning, Thu evening), hopefully 3x/week into the indefinite future. I'm totally sold on it, although it still leaves me more whipped than a 3 hour bike ride. Funny how you can be bike-fit but not other kinds of fit.

p.