This year's monsoon and humidity- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

This year's monsoon and humidity

Is it my imagination or has the monsoon and the associated humidity been much more intense and lasted longer than previous years? It's been brutal out there.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Seems like ever since tempe town lake went in its been more humid each year and longer. Hmmm.....
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    I think that every August in the middle of August. The only brutal ride I have had this year was last Wednesday night. That was sticky and SOMO was demolished after Tuesday nights rain.

Lovely in Pinetop this weekend though.

Bob

mtbr member
    It's been a better than normal monsoon season here in the north valley... But nothing unusual..

How long have you lived in Arizona ?

I have tried to find some monthly statistics, but I cannot find a site with that...

But since 1999, I can only think of 2 summers with a lot of rain.. 1999 and 2008.

And 2007 and 2009 were VERY VERY dry... All other years seem to have been a bit drier than "normal"...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It's been the worst for me with allergies. It's been six weeks of feeling like crap now.

mtbr member
    I thought the weather was actually pretty decent until this past week. I couldn't even make it 5 minutes into my ride on Thursday morning before feeling like I was pedaling in quicksand.

mtbr member
    The late summer blues always sucks. You can still ride, although its frequently more like work and less like fun. The good news is that Sept temps average about 5 degrees cooler, which doesn't sound like much but it's a primer for 9 months of blissful riding temps that remind us why we love AZ winters.

Yin and Yang.
    AKA: G-wat

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've lived here since 1998. I wasn't talking so much about actual rainfall, but the ongoing humidity. I find that affects my performance (and my enjoyment) much more than dry heat.

No real data to back it up, so maybe it's the end-of-season blahs. Just seemed like the humidity has been worse/higher/and for longer this year.

Meatbomb
    I feel the same way.

If we are going to have to suffer with high dew points and humidity, at least give us the storms!!

mtbr member
    Same over here in San Diego....aside for (2) years stationed in Hawaii, I've lived in SoCal my whole life; the last 28+ in San Diego and this is the longest/worst stretch of humidity we've ever had. Nobody has A/C where I live (6) miles inland but we've been running our fans 24/7 for a month. We usually run them 10-14 days a year.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Same over here in San Diego....aside for (2) years stationed in Hawaii, I've lived in SoCal my whole life; the last 28+ in San Diego and this is the longest/worst stretch of humidity we've ever had. Nobody has A/C where I live (6) miles inland but we've been running our fans 24/7 for a month. We usually run them 10-14 days a year.
    Half a mile from the coast can be nice all the time, but 6 miles inland can be brutal. I've been to SD lots and the difference is dramatic only a few miles in.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    nevermind...

I am Walt

Yep, feels to me that this has been a relatively more humid monsoon...more consistently higher dew points. Has made for some sweaty-ass rides and runs! Monsoon rains haven't been as bad here in NE Mesa (right next to Hawes) as they seem to have been in other parts of the Valley.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Daily/average dewpoint temperature for 2014:

Phoenix: National Weather Service - NWS Tucson

Tucson: National Weather Service - NWS Tucson

Flagstaff: National Weather Service - NWS Tucson

-db-

mtbr member
    I can tell because the evaporative cooler in my garage has been off consistently for almost 2 months. I tried to rebuild my weed Wacker today and after an hour standing at my bench I was soaked through. Needless to say, the grass on the edges of my yard is safe for a couple more days.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Well, there is one very unusual thing I have noticed that is a result of high humidity. My trees/plants had an incredible growth/green spurt in the past 3 weeks... And that doesnt happen from simply watering them... Humidity contributes greatly to that kind of rapid growth..

Blatant brings up a very intuitive observation...

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I hate to look at a weather forecast more than 1 day out, but 3 weeks from Wednesday the temps start looking really good, especially for early morning rides. Just need to sweat out a few more weeks...

This year's monsoon and humidity-joy.jpg

Meatbomb
    Those temps look really low for that time of year. You may be disappointed.

mtbr member
    only 2 phoenix century days in september... Ha ! never...

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    We'll live, either way.... I don't care too much if it's 97 or 107 during the day, I'm really looking forward to slightly cooler nights, like in early-mid June when it still feels refreshing in the morning... Lows in the 70's tends to do the trick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    We'll live, either way.... I don't care too much if it's 97 or 107 during the day, I'm really looking forward to slightly cooler nights, like in early-mid June when it still feels refreshing in the morning... Lows in the 70's tends to do the trick.
    I don't know ... when the night time rides start at under 95 and it's dry... that's pure pleasue.... So there is a diff between a 97 day and a 107 day

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Well, there is one very unusual thing I have noticed that is a result of high humidity. My trees/plants had an incredible growth/green spurt in the past 3 weeks... And that doesnt happen from simply watering them... Humidity contributes greatly to that kind of rapid growth..

Blatant brings up a very intuitive observation...
    Not unusual at all. The more water vapor in the air, the slower water will evaporate from plants, soil.....your skin. That's why it's harder to cool down in humid weather. Your sweat will not evaporate as quickly (which takes some of your body heat as it evaporates). And your plants will retain more water.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Not unusual at all. The more water vapor in the air, the slower water will evaporate from plants, soil.....your skin. That's why it's harder to cool down in humid weather. Your sweat will not evaporate as quickly (which takes some of your body heat as it evaporates). And your plants will retain more water.
    My point is the humidity is unusual... not that behavior

The Original Suspect
    I have lived in the valley since 1991 and I think the weather during "monsoon" has changed quite a bit. I remember amazing lightning storms and sitting on my balcony in Chandler in awe of the amount of lightning strikes. I don't ever remember the huge dust storms (haboob) that we get now.

Yes, I also think the humidity has gone up through the years. I have to think with the exponential growth over the last 20+ years with added greenbelts, golf courses, Tempe Town Lake and swimming pools that these have added to the humidity.

But maybe it's just me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This year's humidity does seem worse. Usually we only got humidity with the rain....now it seems to linger days after the rain has gone

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    maybe it's time the residents think about renaming New River to something like Drainswell

Meatbomb
    I'm liking the 100% humidity I've been seeing most of the day today.

Let the bikes in!
    Phoenix felt pretty nice during noon. 73 and sprinkles.

CDK
    mtbr member
    73 and sprinkles..lol! I was caught 11 miles from home pulling my 4 year in the weehoo igo in a total downpour (nothing short of it) for at leased a half hour.

Give it a crank
    Much of that humidity in the air ended up flowing downhill today.
    27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

mtbr member
    so are we all looking forward to weed pullin', tree trimmin' and mosquito bitin ' ??

I am Walt
    Awesome temps this morning...about 15 degrees cooler than last Weds AM. Still a bit humid, but not nearly as high as it has been...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheYeti View Post
    This year's humidity does seem worse. Usually we only got humidity with the rain....now it seems to linger days after the rain has gone
    I have lived in Arizona since 1981 and the humidity is bad now, but not worse that years in the past. I think we have more humid season this year than 2013, but compare to the mid 80's this pretty much the same. I grew up in New River and these sort of massive storms happen all the time. Some years you would get a big storm 4-5 times a season. Some times only once. Humidity was always bad the day after as the moisture lingered. Mid 90's to late we had dry spell. Dust storms have alwys been ever present, but how much dust gets kicked into the air depends on dryness of the ground as well. The mix of houses, farmland with crops vs without and open desert impact how much dust gets put in the air.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Shovel Ready
    Is it time to turn the furnace on yet?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    it looks like the lawn is already going to need a 2nd mowing this year

Meatbomb
    Mine needs a second mowing this week.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i haz natural mowers

This year's monsoon and humidity-dscn4546.jpg

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I've lived here since 1998. I wasn't talking so much about actual rainfall, but the ongoing humidity. I find that affects my performance (and my enjoyment) much more than dry heat.
    I'm with you on this. This morning was 73º when I left DD. That's near perfect temperature but the humidity had me feeling like I was going nowhere quick. And I was...

I am Walt

Yep, it was humid this morning...nice temp, but humid. I did a trail run, and was soaked through by the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    in Santa Fe for a few. Much, much nicer here. Except for the lack of oxygen ...

How much further ???
    Whats a good tire for Arizona?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Whats a good tire for Arizona?
    This should cut through the humidity....
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    This may be the coolest August I have ever experienced since living in Arizona since 1992...

How much further ???
    I agree. I was surprised at this thread. This entire summer has felt much cooler to me. Numbers of days of 110 plus seem lower to me. Have we had a day yet where the low was 100 or more? Im not sure we have yet. Sure there was a couple weeks of higher humidity but is is monsoon and the morning temps have still been in the 80's. Morning temps now in the 70's in August. Come on that is great !!!!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Click Click Click
    I agree. I was surprised at this thread. This entire summer has felt much cooler to me. Numbers of days of 110 plus seem lower to me. Have we had a day yet where the low was 100 or more? Im not sure we have yet. Sure there was a couple weeks of higher humidity but is is monsoon and the morning temps have still been in the 80's. Morning temps now in the 70's in August. Come on that is great !!!!
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    funny thing is, this August is not statistically abnormally low... just that the recent past has been an oven...

mtbr member
    It was 67 deg this morning at my house at 6am. Of course it was a humid 67 so not as nice as 67 should be.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Is it my imagination or has the monsoon and the associated humidity been much more intense and lasted longer than previous years? It's been brutal out there.
    How the **** did I miss this entire thread?????!!!!!! Do you all know what you just did? I hate you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    This may be the coolest August I have ever experienced since living in Arizona since 1992...
    Wow my intuition was correct...

This year's average in August so far is 91.5 F which is the coolest (tie with 1993) ever since I have lived in Arizona...

Look at the 8th column, this is average temps for August in Phoenix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This year's monsoon and humidity-phxaug2.jpg  

I am Walt

But it's a wet cool heat

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...