Ya think I need new wheels?- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew

Ya think I need new wheels?

How much further ???
    Good lord. I mean who doesnt need a new wheelset, but that is really bad. Good luck on your wheel search.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

sprocket
    you might consider picking better lines while 'riding'.

mtbr member
    Call Fish at PBR. He can set you straight 480-430-1394.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Agreed, better lines. Even that hack doodooboi doesn't jack his wheels that bad.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Shred...it's the new drug
    I got a set of outlaws in way better condition for cheap...if you want them

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Holy moley! You're supposed to put tires on the rim before you go riding, ya know. That is some serious damage there. You running about 15 psi in those things?
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    I got a set of outlaws in way better condition for cheap...if you want them
    Bob. I might have to take a gander at those.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

No Clue Crew
    Just ordered a set of Outlaws from Jenson or I'd take you up on them, Bob.

I think a lot of my dents are due to trying to push the limit of how low can the pressure go. Keeping them low is good for making it over obstacles but on the way back down National you need a little more if you're gonna haul ass down.

Lately, I've been keeping them at 30-32 according to my floor pumps gauge which is certainly not terribly accurate. But, I do admit that I don't watch it close enough and refill often enough. And with that rear wheel so badly out of shape it was oozing homebrew a lot, and thus, air a lot.

With the new Outlaws I will keep an eye on the pressure to protect my investment

skilldest©
    how long you been riding on your wheels like that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You can straighten that hoop and repair all the dents and replace spokes and there you go ( if you really had to )--------I have had my rear rim worse that that and had to fix it before I could get my new hoop .......I used two hoops on customers bikes and had none left for me when I killed it

Its always a good idea to have at least one if not two hoops and two complete spoke sets with nipples for just such an occasion !

It does not matter what kind of hoops you have , you will ruin them without notice , Hoops and spoke sets are way cheeper that wheels sets .

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Nice!

Congrats on the new wheels. I am sure they will be a step up for you.

"No Clue Crew"
    You did a lot of learning on this set of wheels and a big part of that is learning lines. The next set will last much longer.

mtbr member
    How much of that was a result of the many many triangle attempts?

I'm sure the outlaws will be much stronger than those stockers.
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    how long you been riding on your wheels like that?
    Nearest I can tell I've been running them close to that beat up since early August...

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39 View Post
    You did a lot of learning on this set of wheels and a big part of that is learning lines. The next set will last much longer.
    Well, I'm not sure if I learned that lesson 'cause I still opt for the hard lines whenever possible I think (hope) a majority of that damage was due to not enough air. I know many occasions as I'm leaving I'd give the tires a squeeze and think, "that might not be enough," and just load it up as is. With the new set I won't just take it for granted and keep an eye on the air pressure

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Or not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Nearest I can tell I've been running them close to that beat up since early August...

Well, I'm not sure if I learned that lesson 'cause I still opt for the hard lines whenever possible I think (hope) a majority of that damage was due to not enough air. I know many occasions as I'm leaving I'd give the tires a squeeze and think, "that might not be enough," and just load it up as is. With the new set I won't just take it for granted and keep an eye on the air pressure
    There lies your answer to why you were extra hard on the rims, you gota manuel physically check the pressures in both wheels and the suspension before every ride , and then always use only your same gage ( and you need a really good gage, not the one on the pump ) ......a low pressure gage is really good for 1/4 lbs adjustments to really get it all dialed, and keep a log of what your set up was each time and how you felt and road.

I can pound the hell out of 25 rear and 22 ft ....but if I go to 23 rear and 20 ft I really bend wheels , ...( now I am really very hard on my wheels ) ....but I know where my threshold is and I always check before every ride ,.......I loose 2 to 3 lbs between every ride , thats enough to ruin my rims in that one ride if I do not check them ......+ the bike does not handle correctly either .

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    I can pound the hell out of 25 rear and 22 ft ....but if I go to 23 rear and 20 ft I really bend wheels , ...( now I am really very hard on my wheels ) ....but I know where my threshold is and I always check before every ride ,.......I loose 2 to 3 lbs between every ride , thats enough to ruin my rims in that one ride if I do not check them ......+ the bike does not handle correctly either .
    It'll be a loooooong time before I can feel the difference in that little difference in air but I'm sure I'll certainly be able to see the difference in my rims. I'll stick with the 30s for a while. Can't afford to buy new wheels every six months.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er View Post
    Or not.
    I trashed the wheels on my Firebird in 6 months. My Outlaws are fairing much better. Not because they are a better rim but because I am a better rider.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just ordered a set of Outlaws from Jenson or I'd take you up on them, Bob.

I think a lot of my dents are due to trying to push the limit of how low can the pressure go. Keeping them low is good for making it over obstacles but on the way back down National you need a little more if you're gonna haul ass down.

Lately, I've been keeping them at 30-32 according to my floor pumps gauge which is certainly not terribly accurate. But, I do admit that I don't watch it close enough and refill often enough. And with that rear wheel so badly out of shape it was oozing homebrew a lot, and thus, air a lot.

With the new Outlaws I will keep an eye on the pressure to protect my investment
    Jeeesh! Mike maybe the new wheels well also help with your camera being a little smoother.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Your bike reminds me of my old jeep (and probably Drews jeep... see what hanging out with guys like that gets you)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I trashed the wheels on my Firebird in 6 months. My Outlaws are fairing much better. Not because they are a better rim but because I am a better rider.
    But as you become a better rider, you ride tougher terrain/features, so I'm thinking that you still stand a pretty good chance of banging up your gear. I'm kind of anal about tire pressure and spoke tension, and so far I've had really good luck with my wheels, on 5 different bikes. I don't tear through the chunk as much as some of you guys, especially lately, but I've done my share over the last couple of years. Knock on wood.

No Clue Crew
    But as you become a better rider, you ride tougher terrain/features, so I'm thinking that you still stand a pretty good chance of banging up your gear.
    That's kinda what I'm thinking as well. I mean, a rim bouncing off rocks with only a think layer of tire as a buffer is still gonna get beat to sh|t. That's why I'm deciding now to keep a little more air in them and keep an eye on it more religiously.

"No Clue Crew"
    But as you become a better rider, you ride tougher terrain/features, so I'm thinking that you still stand a pretty good chance of banging up your gear. I'm kind of anal about tire pressure and spoke tension, and so far I've had really good luck with my wheels, on 5 different bikes. I don't tear through the chunk as much as some of you guys, especially lately, but I've done my share over the last couple of years. Knock on wood.
    The fact that I am riding tougher features supports my statement that I am a better rider which is why my wheels last longer now. I never had less than 33lbs in my tires so its not tire pressure that is effecting it. It's riding style.

No Clue Crew
    The fact that I am riding tougher features supports my statement that I am a better rider which is why my wheels last longer now. I never had less than 33lbs in my tires so its not tire pressure that is effecting it. It's riding style.
    Well, that would support my theory that it's a lot to do with air. I've felt other people's tires, with their permission, and what someone says is 25-28 psi I've regularly run mine much lower than that. I'm sure I've rarely had more than 30, probably closer to 22-25, in my tires since I've got the Pitch. Gonna keep it around 30-32 for a while and see how that treats the rims. Hell, I'm sure I'm not even good enough to notice the difference

EDR
    BigO, didn't read this whole thread so not sure if you are running ghetto tubeless, UST, or tubes but I can say I'm so freak'n done with tubes. I run UST 819's but for the past year have been running a non UST High Roller in the back, ghetto style. It was fine for a long time but starting burping really bad (with a tube liner installed) and I finally just put a tube in the rear a month and half ago. Since then I have flatted 3 times! Last time was last Friday out at SoMo. Came over a rock face and down the nasty backside where you have posted a vid of you stuffing the front end (I know, could be a dozen places). Anyhow for the first time in my life I actually pinch flatted. Two bites on either side of the tube and dented my rim. I have been a dedicated UST only user since '05 so this was new to me.

My point is I have been running the same low-ish pressure I always did with UST tires, and obviously than aint gonna cut it in the chunk with tubes and a flimsy sidewall.

I suggest UST rims with true UST tires...and keep the lower pressures. A UST tire naturally has a stout sidewall and if you go with something like Schwalbe Snakeskin sidewalls they are very durable. Will help to save your rims and not force you to up the pressure too much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I run 32-34 psi on my Bird, Specialized SX casings, and I can't recall ever smacking a rim. Personally, I feel that my tires handle like crap if I drop much lower than 26"@32-34psi, 29"@28-30psi, and that's at 200 lbs riding weight. I agree that better rider+better lines=better rim longevity. Maybe I'm just a lucky line picker, although I've still got a nice dent in my left quad from Goat Camp 7 months ago that would argue that.

"No Clue Crew"
    Maybe I'm just a lucky line picker, although I've still got a nice dent in my left quad from Goat Camp 7 months ago that would argue that.
    Now that we can agree on, GOAT CAMP kicked both our butts 7 months ago! I think it's time for a rematch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Now that we can agree on, GOAT CAMP kicked both our butts 7 months ago! I think it's time for a rematch.
    That thought has crossed my mind. In general, that descent was beyond my comfort level, I was doing great though- until I went down. The adrenaline rush was awesome, but man o man did my left hip/thigh hurt- for about 2 MONTHS. If I go up there again, I'll be a bit sketchy no doubt, I might even be wearing my little girl panties under my manly baggies. We've yet to go rock crawling up at the Dells, took Peg hiking up there back in late spring, looks like it'd be a blast on a bike.

No Clue Crew
    That thought has crossed my mind. In general, that descent was beyond my comfort level, I was doing great though- until I went down. The adrenaline rush was awesome, but man o man did my left hip/thigh hurt- for about 2 MONTHS. If I go up there again, I'll be a bit sketchy no doubt, I might even be wearing my little girl panties under my manly baggies. We've yet to go rock crawling up at the Dells, took Peg hiking up there back in late spring, looks like it'd be a blast on a bike.
    Goat camp rematch (first match for me) or the Dells is a must soon!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    BigO, didn't read this whole thread so not sure if you are running ghetto tubeless, UST, or tubes but I can say I'm so freak'n done with tubes....

My point is I have been running the same low-ish pressure I always did with UST tires, and obviously than aint gonna cut it in the chunk with tubes and a flimsy sidewall.

I suggest UST rims with true UST tires...and keep the lower pressures. A UST tire naturally has a stout sidewall and if you go with something like Schwalbe Snakeskin sidewalls they are very durable. Will help to save your rims and not force you to up the pressure too much.
    I've been riding the stock Specialized rims (narrow 19mm? & non-UST) with WTB double-ply downhill tires (non-UST but thick as hell). The new wheels are gonna be Outlaws.(wider 28mm non-UST) with the same tires for now. I wouldn't have a whole lot of faith that UST tires are gonna prevent any damage that my 1350g, double-ply tires haven't.

For now I'm gonna stick with 30-32# and see how I like it.

mtbr member
    I've been riding the stock Specialized rims (narrow 19mm? & non-UST) with WTB double-ply downhill tires (non-UST but thick as hell). The new wheels are gonna be Outlaws.(wider 28mm non-UST) with the same tires for now. I wouldn't have a whole lot of faith that UST tires are gonna prevent any damage that my 1350g, double-ply tires haven't.

For now I'm gonna stick with 30-32# and see how I like it.
    I ride Outlaws with foldable Ardent Rear and Minion front, ghetto tubeless at 27/30 psi, but I'm only 160lbs. I've kicked a few rocks up and broke a spoke nipple but thats been my only issue. They're heavy as sh*t but that's a decent trade off in my opinion.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

EDR
    I wouldn't have a whole lot of faith that UST tires are gonna prevent any damage that my 1350g, double-ply tires haven't.

No, your right. DP tires are the way to go for durability.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    Your bike reminds me of my old jeep (and probably Drews jeep... see what hanging out with guys like that gets you)
    MY JEEP is in GREAT shape!!!!!! From 25 feet away

And I want in on Goat Camp!................Drew

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Clearly a warranty claim. Use the JRA story.
    2 Wheels Good (unless your name's bigOmike)

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    In for GC or the Dells.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Already had my ass handed to me on Goat Camp, I'd be more interested in the Dells. Looks like you could really get scuffed up nicely there. I like to associate my scars with a new and unique riding adventure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mike,

Just went down the hill that goes up to the water tank north of Disneyland... I think you need to video DOWN from south to north.. please :P no soundtrack.. just you cussing shits steep. I HAB'd from north to south.. sucked but the quick section down to the Tdrop/Rusted Pole was fun in the dark! Shadows really make the drops seem huge.

We'll have to hit that when I do my no brake magic.. we'll both be able to ride in the same ambulance this way.

No Clue Crew
    Just looked on googlemaps and I see the tank now. You just take the asphalt to the top of that road. I didn't see anything that resembled a trail leading down it, though. Unless you are talking about that landslide-looking area on the north and east sides of that hill.

"No Clue Crew"
    Just looked on googlemaps and I see the tank now. You just take the asphalt to the top of that road. I didn't see anything that resembled a trail leading down it, though. Unless you are talking about that landslide-looking area on the north and east sides of that hill.
    Rode that Sunday AM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Agreed, better lines. Even that hack doodooboi doesn't jack his wheels that bad.
    I disagree...whatever your doing, your doing it right!

Got a suspension fork
    "My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it. "
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Rode that Sunday AM
    I understand that you're scared to ride the rough stuff around me. It's OK...

Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    "My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it. "
    Classic. Unfortunately, my old man isn't a TV repairman I do plan on using the vice like Kelstr does and fix that wheel as well as I can.

Gonna drop them off today to get the cassette switched. The front axle is supposed to be easily changed but when I took the QR tube out of the axle I noticed that on the old rim there are "spacers" sticking out from the hub a good 1/2" or 3/4" and I'm not positive how to remove them.

It came with a 12mm rear axle and I'm gonna see if it will support at 12 > 10 step down bolt so I'll have a bolt on rear.

skilldest©
    new badasss wheels!!! nice!!!

"No Clue Crew"
    I understand that you're scared to ride the rough stuff around me. It's OK...
    I didn't want you to feel like you HAD to try it

Maui Grown
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    That's because he rides the girly lines.

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy View Post
    That's because he rides the girly lines.
    Eh the girly lines are sexy cause I'm a sexy kinda guy! hahaha

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It was on here:7th st to PV Mall at EveryTrail

No Clue Crew

Dig it, beetches...

The new outlaws, in Outlaw Red

New wheels with the new 949 stems.

Wheels look great. I even took off my purple ODIs and got a red set. Purple anodized is impossible to come by and I didn't want anyone thinking I'm some sort of fa66ity-ass Lakers fan.

The 949 stems are sweet. The guys at DNA even got online and ordered a few pair. Only problem is since they are built for vehicle rims the screw on collar didn't quite work. The hole that the stems goes through is probably about .25" deep so with the collar on you couldn't get the cap on, let alone a pump to inflate. The guys at DNA ground down the collars so they'd fit.

Got them taped up and the rear inflated perfectly. Then, of course, later on I discovered I mounted the damn thing backwards so had to pull it off right after I'd filled it with WSS. And after that it was a mutha to get inflated. I had to take the stem out to increase airflow just a little bit and that finally worked.

The front I couldn't get inflated at all. Took it into DNA and they played with it a lot and couldn't get it to work. They noticed a big dent in the wire bead, probably from a hit and one of the dents in the rim, that was likely the culprit. So, I put on a new Prowler that night and still couldn't get it to inflate. Took it back to DNA and they played with it some more. Wound up adding a couple more revolutions of Gorilla Tape to make it seal. I was right about to do that Thursday night but my time was nearing midnight and I was tired of dicking with it so I let Ted handle it.

Found a couple new brake rotors on a while back for $15 or $20 so I've got new rotors. The rear was rubbing pretty good but DNA adjusted it. Brought it home last night and sealed up the front. Had a couple stubborn spots but after I let it think about the frustration it was causing me overnight it was sealed in the morning.

On air pressure... I inflated them stiffer than I normally would since I figured I was probably gonna lose some while sealing. Checked the back with a real tire gauge and it's at 30 pounds. And DAMN it's HARD.

I checked the front and it was at 24 so I pushed the inflator on and checked. Now it was 18. Squeezed the tire and it had lost air. Then I realized the compressor must've drained overnight. Turned it on the pumped it up to 30 to match.

But, with the compressor empty and draining my tire to 18 I gave it a feel. Now I know what 18 pounds feels like and I came to the realization that since I've had this bike I've probably not run more than 20 pounds of air pressure in the tires. Ever.

No wonder my rims got beat to hell so quickly. Dumbass...

In case anyone was wondering here's the difference in rim width:

Damn near twice as wide. You see all the numbers floating around and without seeing them side by side it's hard to tell what the difference is.

Riding PMP tomorrow. Look for the thread...

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Looking good!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

"No Clue Crew"
    Wish you rode as good as they look!!!

mtbr member
    The red looks nice!
    What's that black pulley looking thing on your seat up tube?

I got my valve stems too, they are real slick

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Wish you rode as good as they look!!!
    I know! I gotta live up to the ride now...

Walked into the store last night and they said, "hey, we got your new bike in," and pointed me to a shiny, new green & black Status. The replacement for the Pitch/Big Hit. Very nice. Took it for a ride around the parking lot jumping off curbs and over bushes. At $2100 list it will be a GREAT DH bike for those of us that can't justify $4000 on a DH rig. 64º HA, 170mm travel, 1x9. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    The red looks nice!
    What's that black pulley looking thing on your seat up tube?
    Bear Bell. Been working so far...

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Nice!

I have some new wheels coming too since blowing the rear hub on the 6" bike.

The red looks great.
    Last edited by DesertCrawler; 10-29-2011 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Those look nice! I am looking for some new wheels too-but lighter for me. I can get away with it since I am one of those smooth guys that is picky about lines and I ride "light". It saves physical energy and in a long ride/race make your times quicker. Might just build up a set using the hubs I already have.

Having watched you ride Mike- your style is like many on AM bikes, and the only real downfall besides gear damage (it's your gear-treat it as you like-you bought it right?) is that it can affect your lines as you move forward putting you in the wrong spot and/or slowing momentum. However-the wheels you had just were not built for what you threw at them, these should last alot longer. They look sweet!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Mike, the red looks GOOD!

Did you happen to weigh the new wheels to compare to your trashed ones?

And, as far as PSI, I know I weigh quite a bit more than you, and I run my rear at 30 PSI. I don't see ever hitting the rim at that pressure. I bet you'd be fine running in the 26-28 PSI range. I run the front at about 27 PSI with no issues.
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

Shovel Ready
    Looks prudy.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wheels look great Mike,changes the whole look of the bike.

I can't wait to see it up close

Eroding into the trail
    The new outlaws, in Outlaw Red

New wheels with the new 949 stems.

Wheels look great. I even took off my purple ODIs and got a red set. Purple anodized is impossible to come by and I didn't want anyone thinking I'm some sort of fa66ity-ass Lakers fan.

The 949 stems are sweet. The guys at DNA even got online and ordered a few pair. Only problem is since they are built for vehicle rims the screw on collar didn't quite work. The hole that the stems goes through is probably about .25" deep so with the collar on you couldn't get the cap on, let alone a pump to inflate. The guys at DNA ground down the collars so they'd fit.

Got them taped up and the rear inflated perfectly. Then, of course, later on I discovered I mounted the damn thing backwards so had to pull it off right after I'd filled it with WSS. And after that it was a mutha to get inflated. I had to take the stem out to increase airflow just a little bit and that finally worked.

The front I couldn't get inflated at all. Took it into DNA and they played with it a lot and couldn't get it to work. They noticed a big dent in the wire bead, probably from a hit and one of the dents in the rim, that was likely the culprit. So, I put on a new Prowler that night and still couldn't get it to inflate. Took it back to DNA and they played with it some more. Wound up adding a couple more revolutions of Gorilla Tape to make it seal. I was right about to do that Thursday night but my time was nearing midnight and I was tired of dicking with it so I let Ted handle it.

Found a couple new brake rotors on a while back for $15 or $20 so I've got new rotors. The rear was rubbing pretty good but DNA adjusted it. Brought it home last night and sealed up the front. Had a couple stubborn spots but after I let it think about the frustration it was causing me overnight it was sealed in the morning.

On air pressure... I inflated them stiffer than I normally would since I figured I was probably gonna lose some while sealing. Checked the back with a real tire gauge and it's at 30 pounds. And DAMN it's HARD.

I checked the front and it was at 24 so I pushed the inflator on and checked. Now it was 18. Squeezed the tire and it had lost air. Then I realized the compressor must've drained overnight. Turned it on the pumped it up to 30 to match.

But, with the compressor empty and draining my tire to 18 I gave it a feel. Now I know what 18 pounds feels like and I came to the realization that since I've had this bike I've probably not run more than 20 pounds of air pressure in the tires. Ever.

No wonder my rims got beat to hell so quickly. Dumbass...

In case anyone was wondering here's the difference in rim width:

Damn near twice as wide. You see all the numbers floating around and without seeing them side by side it's hard to tell what the difference is.

Riding PMP tomorrow. Look for the thread...

"Black anodized. Laser etched 949 logo reputed to be worth 3hp."
    That should help a bit!
    Typically requires ~5mm nut length reduction to clear the purty 949 valve cap.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones View Post

"Black anodized. Laser etched 949 logo reputed to be worth 3hp."
    That should help a bit!
    Typically requires ~5mm nut length reduction to clear the purty 949 valve cap.
    Sounds painful.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Having watched you ride Mike- your style is like many on AM bikes, and the only real downfall besides gear damage (it's your gear-treat it as you like-you bought it right?) is that it can affect your lines as you move forward putting you in the wrong spot and/or slowing momentum. However-the wheels you had just were not built for what you threw at them, these should last alot longer. They look sweet!
    Yeah, they should last much longer. I'm still a little mind boggled knowing how low I really was running my pressure just relying on the squeeze test.

Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    And, as far as PSI, I know I weigh quite a bit more than you, and I run my rear at 30 PSI. I don't see ever hitting the rim at that pressure. I bet you'd be fine running in the 26-28 PSI range. I run the front at about 27 PSI with no issues.
    I'm sure I can go lower considering how hard these tires feel. I'll play on them for a while like this and get a feel for how much pressure they lose and how quickly.

Shovel Ready
    Heck I run 28 f and 31 r. Weight a heck of a lot more than all of you. I lose about 2 psi every week or so. I check before every ride when I oil my chain or wipe it down from the previous ride.

I picked up one of these. So if I use a different pump. I know my pressure is the same.

Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Sounds painful.

Not those nuts! lol

mtbr member
    remember too that tire pressure isn't as simple as how much you weigh, so many more factors go into it.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    remember too that tire pressure isn't as simple as how much you weigh, so many more factors go into it.
    Such as? Inquiring minds, want to know......please enlighten us......

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Age / beers per week x number of times one has mistaken a dude with long hair for a hot chick.

That's just one obvious example I could go on and on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I'm no tire expert, but I would think the type of tire can affect what psi to run. It seems to me that a stout large volume dh tire can be run with lower psi than a lightweight skinny xc tire.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Age / beers per week x number of times one has mistaken a dude with long hair for a hot chick.
    Can't divide by zero

Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I'm no tire expert, but I would think the type of tire can affect what psi to run. It seems to me that a stout large volume dh tire can be run with lower psi than a lightweight skinny xc tire.
    True. And large volume, DUAL PLY tires can probably be run even lower.

As a bonus there was absolutely NO leakage from either tire at 30 psi. When running at my past norm of < 20 psi they belched WSS from the bead all the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

True. And large volume, DUAL PLY tires can probably be run even lower.
    Yes , the larger the tire the less air you run. ( dual and or single ply tire )
    The big problem is trying to do the squeeze test before a ride , that will kill rims , you gota use your same good gage every morning right before the ride , set your suspension and tires that way you will know where you started, then its easy to begin slightly changing one setting at a time in the morning and do the ride as a test for the one parameter you altered and take notes .

In no time you will know just where you need to be and what feel you do and don't like .

"Lurkers R us"
    Those wheels look great Mike. They should work out good, I have them on both my bikes and have never had an issue with the wheels.
    Dan
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups!