X Post: Chain question....- Mtbr.com
    EDR

X Post: Chain question....

This forum seems at least equally competent and more trustworthy, lol....

I'm not a newbie but this question might as well be.....

I have a new shimano cn-7701 chain. The directions clearly state DO NOT make the new connection (i need to remove some length) at the 'end pin' or the 'reinforcing pin' points. ONLY the 'link pin'. Now I have replaced maybe 2 chains (both Shimano) in the last 3 years and I remember reading this same stuff. I think in the past I finally just ignored the directions and made the connection.

The problem I am trying to solve is that on the diagram in the directions the show the 3 types of pins as visually different, however, on the chain itself I can not determine ANY difference in ANY of the links.

Any help clarifying this would be appreciated....

Thanks

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    This forum seems at least equally competent and more trustworthy, lol....

I'm not a newbie but this question might as well be.....

I have a new shimano cn-7701 chain. The directions clearly state DO NOT make the new connection (i need to remove some length) at the 'end pin' or the 'reinforcing pin' points. ONLY the 'link pin'. Now I have replaced maybe 2 chains (both Shimano) in the last 3 years and I remember reading this same stuff. I think in the past I finally just ignored the directions and made the connection.

The problem I am trying to solve is that on the diagram in the directions the show the 3 types of pins as visually different, however, on the chain itself I can not determine ANY difference in ANY of the links.

Any help clarifying this would be appreciated....

Thanks
    The Shimano directions sound confusing. I'd just remove the links you don't need and make the connection.

sixsixtysix
    Friends don't let friends ride Shimano, buy a powerlink SRAM chain

J/king, i need to poke fun at Shimano when I can.

You should be fine just popping the pins as long as they dont have "vertical lines" on them. Any others should be fine. I believe there is a section of the chain that is meant to be used when shortening that is without these "lines" As long as when you put the pin back in it is flush and the link does not bind up or is too loose you should be ok.

I have also seen Shimano chains come with 2 extra "longer" pins. 1 for when you first install the chain to length and a spare. These pin's are longer than they need to be and when you put them in you are supposed to "break" the extra off with a pair of pliers.

I honestly havn't touched a Shimano product in 3 years, so I don't know what they are doing these days, another option would be to see if a SRAM powerlink will work on the Shimano chain, you can pick those up for a few bucks at your LBS.

If you try to just break the chain and reuse the pin, just take a stroll around the neighborhood and mash on the pedals for a while, if the link is gonna break it'll do it almost immediately. Better in you neighborhood than on the trail.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Friends don't let friends ride Shimano, buy a powerlink SRAM chain

I have also seen Shimano chains come with 2 extra "longer" pins. 1 for when you first install the chain to length and a spare. These pin's are longer than they need to be and when you put them in you are supposed to "break" the extra off with a pair of pliers.
    Yes, I realize that the pins need to be 'broke off'. I think that the instructions just plain suck and make a simple matter complicated. I wish I had a scanner so I could show the instructions.....

Anyhow, I think I'll just make the connection where needed and forget the instructions, like the last 2 times. I just wish I understood what they are referring to. Oh well.

Thanks for the help all.....

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Anyhow, I think I'll just make the connection where needed and forget the instructions, like the last 2 times. I just wish I understood what they are referring to. Oh well.
    or you could try a SRAM chain

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i know im the minority here but the sram chains suck in my opinion, not part of this thread, just had to help put shimano back up there, get an xtr and take care of it and you never have to worry. every,,,,,every sram chain i had broke when i put a little muscle in it.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    ...get an xtr and take care of it and you never have to worry. every,,,,,every sram chain i had broke when i put a little muscle in it.
    The key is to care for a chain after installation.

My experience with SRAM chains is entirely opposite of yours, 1 failure in the last 5-6 years that I've been running them on my bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    you are absolutely right (BTW i was a high altitude jet mechanic before a trainer so i know a little about maintenance) a chain is a chain as long as you take great care of it, damn az dust, it will last. everyone has their favorites though. i have to say the one sram chain that didnt fail completely out of the cd case was the one that came with my tasajara. and i kicked the crap out of that bike. that one did die tight after i moved here from cali. every sram after that one was too weak to put some torque on. just an opinion.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    you are absolutely right (BTW i was a high altitude jet mechanic before a trainer so i know a little about maintenance) a chain is a chain as long as you take great care of it, damn az dust, it will last. everyone has their favorites though. i have to say the one sram chain that didnt fail completely out of the cd case was the one that came with my tasajara. and i kicked the crap out of that bike. that one did die tight after i moved here from cali. every sram after that one was too weak to put some torque on. just an opinion.
    Actually SRAM's higher end chain's do have a tendency to break, especially the Hollow Pin and PC991 ones. I just use the middle of the line PC971 even though I am running a full X.0 setup and shifting is great.

Back to the question at hand, I believe these are the pins you are supposed to use for reconnecting a shimano chain.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Set+Of+5.aspx

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I use a Rohloff SLT-99. No complaints, smooth shifting, easy directions, however, I am not sure where to find them in the States. I got mine shipped from a friend who lives in Munich.

I lean like a cholo!

10 dollar KMC Z-Chain

I've broke every chain, SRAM, Shimano, high end, or low end. Some on the first ride (always away from the power link or the new pin). And no, it is not while forcing a shift on a climb, most of the time it is while I am just standing and cranking. I have had the best luck with the cheap KMC Z-Chains. Shifts fine, lasts well, replaced often. At 10 dollars or so, you can replace your chain every two months for the cost of a high dollar hollow pin chain = less wear on the cogs as stretch wont be an issue.

Oh, and I believe the dimpled pins are o.k. to press out, but stay away from the flat topped pins, and the "line" peened pins..... I think.
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

EDR
    I figured out what the diagram was trying to tell me. I think the beer was fogging my senses!

The pins they call 'end link' , 'connector link' and whatever that other one was were meant to designate WHERE to make the connection relative the chain direction of travel not to differentiate(sp?) between pin types. All the pins are the same. They just want you to make the connection at a certain place relative to the inner and outer links and the direction the chain moves. This is a terrible description of the the heck I'm trying to say.....that's kinda how i felt reading the paperwork

Members who have read this thread: 0