Wwstd?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wwstd?

mtbr member

Wwstd?

Okay, what would you do in this situation? Was out at PMP this morning. Was on 1A, and was entering one of the wash crossings, when I saw a couple coming the opposite direction. Knowing it was tight at the wash area, I decided to be kind cyclist and wait for them. They didn't see me, but I waited nonetheless when I saw the female stop and then in this whining voice "what's the hurry? Why don't you just stop and appreciate nature? You're always in a rush?" She just stood there not moving and looking around. I gave it 10 seconds, and said "screw it, if they have to get out of my way, so be it."

As I passed them, I said "you are aware this is a biking-only trail, aren't you? Oh, and by the way, there is a nest of rattlers around the corner." Okay, I didn't say that--I wanted to--but as I passed them, I gave the guy a "glad I'm not you" roll of the eyes, and a half-hearted "thanks" to the woman, who was now talking about baby coyotes and their suckling habits.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

My other ride is your mom
    I think I would have done the same...and thought the same. This is perhaps one of the dumber comments I've ever heard on the trail. Not to hijack you skinny....but just last week during my descent off of Pass Mountain, I ran into an older couple. I stopped to let them pass as they climbed....and the woman looked at me...then my bike....and said....."Whew.....is this a new sport?"

I searched my soul for the sharpest barb ever...."What rock in Manitoba did you crawl out from under" crossed my mind. Instead...I let out a nervous laugh...said, "ummmm....no"...and then told them to be safe and rode on.

aka Diesel
    So long as it didn't kill your mojo.
    There's a Harley Davidson saying from a good awhile back: "If I had to explain, you wouldn't understand.". Some people don't get it. You were very sweet to indulge her cactus-hugging ways.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Meatbomb
    come on guys... learn to stop and smell the coyote crap

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I would prefer someone complaining that we don't spend enough time enjoying our surroundings than what I ran into today in Sedona. I was riding around Cathedral rock when I saw a couple approaching. They had not noticed me so I moved aside to let them pass. I was appalled that both of them were on their cell phones, completely fixated on their 'private' conversations. The guy didn't even acknowledge me, the girl at least made eye contact. They were oblivious to their surroundings. Whats the point in even going outside if that's how you're going to spend it.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by rancidmeat1
    I would prefer someone complaining that we don't spend enough time enjoying our surroundings than what I ran into today in Sedona. I was riding around Cathedral rock when I saw a couple approaching. They had not noticed me so I moved aside to let them pass. I was appalled that both of them were on their cell phones, completely fixated on their 'private' conversations. The guy didn't even acknowledge me, the girl at least made eye contact. They were oblivious to their surroundings. Whats the point in even going outside if that's how you're going to spend it.
    Dude, what is more appalling, people using cell phones or people unilaterally deciding what is the right and wrong way to go outside?
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Damn Dir- I kinda agree with you again-WTF?

Seriously- I was not aware there were any bicycle only trails in Phoenix Mountain Park. (Been on business trips all summer- but I brought my bike and learned I do not have a mud setup)

Also- Skinny you said it yourself- they had no idea you were there. Maybe a little cowbell (okay bike bell) would have politely alerted them to be aware you were coming.

Other users do recreate in the desert parks. That is what they are for and it just so happens that watching wildlife is a way to do it. I know this because I saw a book about it once.

You know one time, I saw this sport on TV called Curling. I asked my wife "When did they invent this sport?" I guess I sounded just as dumb as that lady on the trail. Oh and instead of a "ummm....yeah" you could have introduced here to our sport before a nasty bird watcher did or you could have just said "Hello, thanks for pulling aside for me and have a great day:"

I am just pointing out that you guys are starting to sound just a little bit like roadies who think that because they decided to jump on a 16 lb machine and compete with 3500 lb machines while wearing less than a stripper on lunch break (what do they eat for lunch?) that they have the same right to respect as the cage drivers. The two examples of hiker blunder we just read are pretty lame and tame. And seriously is 1A bike only now? I hope so because I really like to rip that section and get nervous about running someone down.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    Damn Dir- I kinda agree with you again-WTF?

Seriously- I was not aware there were any bicycle only trails in Phoenix Mountain Park. (Been on business trips all summer- but I brought my bike and learned I do not have a mud setup)

Also- Skinny you said it yourself- they had no idea you were there. Maybe a little cowbell (okay bike bell) would have politely alerted them to be aware you were coming.

Other users do recreate in the desert parks. That is what they are for and it just so happens that watching wildlife is a way to do it. I know this because I saw a book about it once.

You know one time, I saw this sport on TV called Curling. I asked my wife "When did they invent this sport?" I guess I sounded just as dumb as that lady on the trail. Oh and instead of a "ummm....yeah" you could have introduced here to our sport before a nasty bird watcher did or you could have just said "Hello, thanks for pulling aside for me and have a great day:"

I am just pointing out that you guys are starting to sound just a little bit like roadies who think that because they decided to jump on a 16 lb machine and compete with 3500 lb machines while wearing less than a stripper on lunch break (what do they eat for lunch?) that they have the same right to respect as the cage drivers. The two examples of hiker blunder we just read are pretty lame and tame. And seriously is 1A bike only now? I hope so because I really like to rip that section and get nervous about running someone down.
    Okay, to be clear, no, 1A is not bike-only. And my post had nothing to do with them not seeing or hearing me, but more about bickering by the wife. I felt sorry for her husband. Nothing more, nothing less.

mtbr member
    Hey SKinny- I wasn't trying to bash. Thanks for clarifying. Guess with all the negativity some riders have been spewing lately.
    Lately? It seems like I come here, get pissed at all the sallys, whiners and *****cats who want to rage about the latest thing they are entitled too since they ride a bike- then I don't come back for a month or so to see it it got better....

Vicious cycle for sure. Sorry about that but it sounds like you ran into Edith and Archie Bunker!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    Hey SKinny- I wasn't trying to bash. Thanks for clarifying. Guess with all the negativity some riders have been spewing lately.
    Lately? It seems like I come here, get pissed at all the sallys, whiners and *****cats who want to rage about the latest thing they are entitled too since they ride a bike- then I don't come back for a month or so to see it it got better....

Vicious cycle for sure. Sorry about that but it sounds like you ran into Edith and Archie Bunker!
    I know. Personally, I have no issues with anybody out on the trails, and try my best to be as nice to everybody as possible (or at least not rude).

I just felt like sharing this incident, because I thougth it was funny. In fact, after passing them, I had a huge smile on my face at how "odd" the conversation between the husband and wife was (and was glad I was biking by myself and now with my SO).

Okay, off for a ride now!

mtbr member
    I have pictures of CSTEM in stripper lunch break attire... for some reason he always has a wad of dollar bills in his pocket...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Dude, what is more appalling, people using cell phones or people unilaterally deciding what is the right and wrong way to go outside?
    Maybe thats how some people like to spend their time outside, and that's their perogative, but where I come from basic trail manners are in order. If someone steps aside for you, you thank them. If your so rapped up in your conversation that you don't notice any of your surrounding, then maybe you should step off the trail momentarily. Course I'm not from the city and what I view as polite may not matter to others. Maybe their time is more important than mine. Another example of people living a life chained by electronic leashes. Might as well answer phones and text in movies- who am I to tell people how to enjoy the theatre.
    Not to mention this thread seemed to be about what irked people on the trail, in none of these cases did any of these riders disrespect or correct the actions of the offenders. Even the 'um... yeah' was reasonable, curt, but not rude. I can't count how many times I've stopped to give lost tourists advice or step off the trail, and I'm happy to do it. But when someone inconvienences themselves for you, it's so simple to say 'thank you'.

Plasko
    Quote Originally Posted by rancidmeat1
    Maybe thats how some people like to spend their time outside, and that's their perogative, but where I come from basic trail manners are in order. If someone steps aside for you, you thank them. If your so rapped up in your conversation that you don't notice any of your surrounding, then maybe you should step off the trail momentarily. Course I'm not from the city and what I view as polite may not matter to others. Maybe their time is more important than mine. Another example of people living a life chained by electronic leashes. Might as well answer phones and text in movies- who am I to tell people how to enjoy the theatre.
    Not to mention this thread seemed to be about what irked people on the trail, in none of these cases did any of these riders disrespect or correct the actions of the offenders. Even the 'um... yeah' was reasonable, curt, but not rude. I can't count how many times I've stopped to give lost tourists advice or step off the trail, and I'm happy to do it. But when someone inconvienences themselves for you, it's so simple to say 'thank you'.
    Oh snap.....

Members who have read this thread: 0