WTB TCS tires-Weirwolf-Mutano- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

WTB TCS tires-Weirwolf-Mutano

Just curious if any of you South Mountain riders have tried the new WTB TCS tires? The Weirwolf 2.3 or Mutano 2.4 specifically. Also if any of the LBS's carry them. Thanks, Chris

I love bike!
    Chris. Not sure what TCS is (new technology?) but I've got a 2.3 Weirwolf that still has good tread that you're more than welcome to try out. Just remind me next time we're gonna ride together and I'll throw it in the truck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the offer. They market the new TCS as "tubeless compatable system" with a UST bead, inner peace sidewall, lightweight casing. Just curious if anybody has tried them on some of the more rugged local trails. I've been happy with the Ardents. Front has been trouble free, had sidewall issues on the rear. Just thinking of trying something different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I went to the SC demo day, and they had the new TCS weirwolf on the front of the BLTc I tried out. It seemed to have good traction in the turns but being that it was just the long/comp loop, i didn't really get to try it out on any nasty terrain.

My buddy in California says the TCS Weirwolf 2.3 is going to be his Downieville front tire. I'd roughly equate the top section of the butcher trail to be a mix between mormon and javelina.

mtbr member
    I'm running the Mutano 2.4 Race in the front but it's not the new TCS. It has pretty descent traction but you have to lower the pressure a bit. In the reviews section several people said they had good luck with the Mutano + Stans. I'm currently just running it at 30 psi with a regular slime tube.

I have to say the Mutano 2.4 doesn't look like a 2.4, it looks more like a 2.1. I really would like to try one of the new WeirWolfs (with the fancy tread) to see if it's all cracked up to what their web site claims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I got a set (Weiwolf tcs 2.3) on the way should know more by the end of the weekend

It's a slugfest!
    I have been running the TCS Weirwolf' 2.3's for a couple of weeks now. Haven't taken them to Somo yet, but cleaned some stuff on T100 that I haven't been able to clean yet, or haven't cleaned in a long while. Noticed right away that they rolled much faster than the Nevegal sticky's that I had on before. Also seemed to bite well on the loose climbs and corners.

My son put a pair on his bike (also replaced the Nevy's) and got a little different report on Somo. Where previously, the sticky's allowed him to do a lot of boulder-to-boulder stuff and maintain traction, he was not finding the same comfort on the Weirwolfs and was slipping out on some of the edges....but he may need to break in the tires a bit more....

I am running tubeless @ about 30 lbs of pressure....really liking them so far...
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    New Weirwolf 2.3 TCS as my back tire. Worked great, just sliced it though. A little bummed, but we'll see if the repair holds. Fast and grippy!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Just bought a TCS Mutano 2.4 to run on the rear. Can't report on the ride as I haven't ridden it yet. VERY tight bead. I mean, breaking multiple tire irons tight. It's on the smallish side for a 2.4, which is OK for me, but might be disconcerting for some. It's visibly smaller than the 2.4 Purgatory I run on the front.

My other ride is your mom
    Mutano in the 2.4 is my favorite rear tire....it's grippy for slickrock stuff without too much grabbiness on the edge....but has that great center and skinny knob for fast rolling.....it's also uber light at 595gm's in the 2.4. I've run this multiple times with a stans strip, have switched it out to try others.....I keep coming back to this tire. They wear a bit faster....but thats the trade off. Granted....I'm light on the bike and ride light...so the thin sidewalls for some will be a no-go.

The Weirwolf up front is one of my 2 favorite front tires (the other is the exiwolf). The edging can't be beat....but there lies the rub. On slick rock...it gets grabby. As for the new tread design.....the corner knobs are going to be a bit more squirmy with the multi-tier design IMO....

Pivotal figure
    Ran a set of the TCS Weirwolf's last month. Very good AM tire, predictable cornering even on gravelly hardpack. Setting up for tubeless was easy, no leakage.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I can report back in with updated info. I bought the TCS Mutano 2.4 to run as a rear. As I said earlier, it's not terribly big for a 2.4, but that's OK. It's pretty light and very easy to seal up tubeless.

So far I've really enjoyed it. Traction is very good, holds an edge on off-camber, good bite, rolls very, very nicely.I've ridden it on Brown Mountain, all of Fantasy Island, a Bug Springs/Prison Camp run and 50 Year. Today, coming down La Milagrosa, I put about a half-inch cut in one of the sidewalls.

Probably repairable, but -- as always, I'm not stoked to get five rides out of a $60 bike tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the report. One of the reasons I was considering this tire was the inner peace sidewalls. Like you said five rides and a cut on a $60 tire isn't too inspiring. I've got some life left on the Ardents I'll run them a while longer. BTW- loving the Turner 6 pack, you put together an awesome bike......Chris

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Crap, didn't realize that was you. Glad to hear you like the bike. Tell you what, I really miss that rig, truth be told. Hope you're riding the he!! out of it.

Members who have read this thread: 0