• 02-27-2006
    borregokid
    Would you rather be a "poser" on an FS or a blue collar rider on a hardtail?
    The last couple of years my main "squeeze" has been a race grade hardtail I picked up for $400. That bike has put a smile on my face more times than I can count. However a couple of times it has let me down. Last year some guys who know I ride a lot "suckered" me into a technical ride and i wrecked my knee-torn ACL and everything else.(you dont have to fix a torn ACL-Just Keep Riding). Last week I raced at the Pueblo and the bike smoked leaving a lot of FS rigs in the dust.

    The Estrella race was the most recent let down. I really didnt pass anybody and I crashed about four times. It was the type of race that guys with FS rigs who I usually beat by 7-8 minutes now had their turn beating me by 7-8 minutes.

    Anyway it boils down to this, I think I want to be a "poser" although I cant afford it. I would rather be looking pretty at the finish on a Fuel 110 rather that sitting in the medic tent getting bandaged. :D
  • 02-27-2006
    streetpro0323
    You know the answer already:)
    If you luv this sport like I think you do..get the fuel and make up that 7-8 min..
  • 02-27-2006
    yetisurly
    Get a singlespeed and find your soul.
  • 02-27-2006
    Paul B
    Let's not forget the posers on their trendy hardtails/singlespeeds, and the blue collar riders on their hard-earned and much-loved FS bikes.

    p.
  • 02-27-2006
    'size
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Paul B
    Let's not forget the posers on their trendy hardtails/singlespeeds, and the blue collar riders on their hard-earned and much-loved FS bikes.

    p.


    nice, thanks :)
  • 02-27-2006
    yetisurly
    Get a recumbent and be a dork.
  • 02-27-2006
    El profeta negro
    I gauge a "poser" not by the bike they ride, but by how many bike related stickers they have on the back of their vehicle.
  • 02-27-2006
    Paul B
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by El profeta negro
    I gauge a "poser" not by the bike they ride, but by how many bike related stickers they have on the back of their vehicle.

    Nice! Me too. Bonus points if they're wearing one of those hipster toques and have at least one bike-related tat (chain around the bicep by default). If the bike's worth more than the vehicle, though, all bets are off -- they're probably the real deal at that point, the archetype against which the posers model themselves.

    p.
  • 02-27-2006
    R.M.
    Or just learn how to ride and keep your HT. ;)
  • 02-27-2006
    borregokid
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Get a recumbent and be a dork.

    Thats funny-They always seem to be near sighted and wearing glasses with rearview mirrors attatched. I wonder if you get the glasses and mirror when you buy the recumbent. Plus maybe a 70's vintage bell helmet seems to be standard issue.

    On the serious side a couple of guys have mentioned the SS 29er as a worthy mountain bike. Desert Dan used one last month at 12 hours of Temecula to pull off a solo win. Desert Dan has a nice stable of bikes and I think his SS 29er is his favorite.
  • 02-27-2006
    yetisurly
    I saw Hardtail Hank on a fully rigid Specialized Epic. He rocked.
  • 02-27-2006
    kendogg
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by borregokid
    Thats funny-They always seem to be near sighted and wearing glasses with rearview mirrors attatched. I wonder if you get the glasses and mirror when you buy the recumbent. Plus maybe a 70's vintage bell helmet seems to be standard issue.

    On the serious side a couple of guys have mentioned the SS 29er as a worthy mountain bike. Desert Dan used one last month at 12 hours of Temecula to pull off a solo win. Desert Dan has a nice stable of bikes and I think his SS 29er is his favorite.

    I rode SS_Minnow's Gunnar 29er, and it was an eye opener. I loved it and was amazed at how easy it rode for a rigid bike. I just picked up a cheap Unit though, so I'll be on that for a while at least, in order to prevent marital difficulty. ;)
  • 02-27-2006
    FishMan473
    just try some larger/more aggressive tires for extra cush and grip for all-around use, save the skinny fast tires for racing.

    Edit: except at estrella. rock that course with the big agressive tires.
  • 02-27-2006
    yetisurly
    I love the Conti Diesel 2.5's on my bikes
  • 02-27-2006
    Dirdir
    A poseur/poser is a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not. I pretend to be a pretender. What does that make me?
  • 02-27-2006
    yetisurly
    pretentious?
  • 02-27-2006
    wadester
    You asked.....
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dirdir
    A poseur/poser is a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not. I pretend to be a pretender. What does that make me?

    A PooPoser!
  • 02-27-2006
    dirtluvraz
    Perhaps...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dirdir
    A poseur/poser is a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not. I pretend to be a pretender. What does that make me?

    A "Dirdir"???? :D :p ;)
  • 02-27-2006
    borregokid
    A possible new ride?



    My neighbor knowing how banged up I was from the Estrella Race offered to sell me his high end full suspension Mongoose. For $40 it come complete with a "crash basket" and kickstand. It also has the newest high tech suspension.
  • 02-27-2006
    YuriB
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Paul B
    Nice! Me too. Bonus points if they're wearing one of those hipster toques and have at least one bike-related tat (chain around the bicep by default). If the bike's worth more than the vehicle, though, all bets are off -- they're probably the real deal at that point, the archetype against which the posers model themselves.

    p.

    dammit! you mean i gotta get a bike tat now and tongue ring? or am i the archetype? i'm so confused.:confused:

    i better go buy more cred.
  • 02-27-2006
    AZClydesdale
    1 Attachment(s)
    No such thing as posing when riding this bad boy, just point it downhill and behold the comfort and style.

    http://www.earthspirits.net/Merchant...t_Code=mb_am27
  • 02-27-2006
    yetisurly
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    No such thing as posing when riding this bad boy, just point it downhill and behold the comfort and style.

    http://www.earthspirits.net/Merchant...t_Code=mb_am27

    If they had that in that Caddi off white, cream "look-at-me-I-am-in-ultra-debt-hell-diving-an-overpowered-under-utilized-and-totally-selfish-escalade" color, it would be *****in!
  • 02-27-2006
    Mtn. Biker123
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    No such thing as posing when riding this bad boy, just point it downhill and behold the comfort and style.

    http://www.earthspirits.net/Merchant...t_Code=mb_am27

    Looks like if you bottomed the fork the bridge/stabalizer would engage the frame. Is the fork on backwards?
  • 02-27-2006
    Konapdlr
    So what's the verdict? Am I supposed to have stickers on my truck to be cool or not? I have two.....does that make me a "wannabe" or am I "wanting to want to be a wannabie"?
    I'm lost, is their someone I can talk to here for guidance? :confused:
  • 02-27-2006
    kevhogaz
    Boy, now I'm really messed up. I ride a F/S bike, but I'm definitely a blue collar worker (mechanic). I have no bike stickers on my truck, and my tatoo has absolutely nothing to do with bikes, and I have no body piercings, either. If I'm wearing a hat, it's because I'm going bald, and don't want to sunburn my chrome dome.

    I also don't own a SS, 29'er, or a hardtail. My Prophet is my only bike.

    Man, I better look in to those recumbents.
  • 02-27-2006
    Casual Observer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by YuriB
    dammit! you mean i gotta get a bike tat now and tongue ring? or am i the archetype? i'm so confused.:confused:

    i better go buy more cred.

    Thankfully, most of my stickers are non-bike related, and all the bike-related stickers I have were free. As for tats, f that.
  • 02-27-2006
    Mtn. Biker123
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Konapdlr
    So what's the verdict? Am I supposed to have stickers on my truck to be cool or not? I have two.....does that make me a "wannabe" or am I "wanting to want to be a wannabie"?
    I'm lost, is their someone I can talk to here for guidance? :confused:


    Who makes these decisions anyway? Can I still be :cool: COOL :cool: I only have accumulated one sticker...and it is not even that CooL :(
  • 02-27-2006
    Mtn. Biker123
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kevhogaz
    Boy, now I'm really messed up. I ride a F/S bike, but I'm definitely a blue collar worker (mechanic). I have no bike stickers on my truck, and my tatoo has absolutely nothing to do with bikes, and I have no body piercings, either. If I'm wearing a hat, it's because I'm going bald, and don't want to sunburn my chrome dome.

    I also don't own a SS, 29'er, or a hardtail. My Prophet is my only bike.

    Man, I better look in to those recumbents.

    Thats gotta be tough...how are others supposed to recognize you as a 'bonafide' rider? At least my tattoo is bike related :D Although, I have been having somewhat of an inferiority complex about the lack of SS.
  • 02-27-2006
    YuriB
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Thankfully, most of my stickers are non-bike related, and all the bike-related stickers I have were free. As for tats, f that.

    damn non-poseur.
    yer stickers are holding your car together.
  • 02-27-2006
    Dirdir
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    f that.

    That about says it all for your theories on life, eh.
  • 02-27-2006
    dirtluvraz
    My new SS,,,,
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Thats gotta be tough...how are others supposed to recognize you as a 'bonafide' rider? At least my tattoo is bike related :D Although, I have been having somewhat of an inferiority complex about the lack of SS.

    Only got 1 tat, my ex-wifes name, lots of stickers on my truck, no piercings. Poser or not? Anyone wanna buy my Motolite or Dawg? I'm gettin' a new SS, suggested this for Paul, but he didn't buy. It's mine now! Imagine bombing down Pima fire road on this, I'll really shake up the hikers AND be cool! Maybe even pick up chicks! :D
  • 02-27-2006
    AZClydesdale
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Is the fork on backwards?

    Haha! The good news is the chance of the owner of this bike maxing out the front travel is slim to none.
  • 02-28-2006
    macko
    I don't consider everyone with a full-sus rig & stickers on their car to be a poseur. You typically can't judge someone as such until you see them ride; their ability, the effort they put into riding, and how often they ride are the true determining factors.

    As far as the hardtail vs. full suspension question goes, that's honestly up to you. If you think that the hardtail is holding you back really tearing it up, then save up your cash and get yourself the best bike you can afford. I'm on a hardtail and don't have many probs, I figure that the longer I'm on this bike I'll be that much better when I eventually upgrade to a smoother rig.
  • 02-28-2006
    mcoplea
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by El profeta negro
    I gauge a "poser" not by the bike they ride, but by how many bike related stickers they have on the back of their vehicle.

    Nice. By your standards, about 1/2 of the mountain bikers out there are "posers" - including myself.

    I have 2 bike related stickers on my vehicle. What would my poser rating be?? :confused:
  • 02-28-2006
    Konapdlr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macko
    As far as the hardtail vs. full suspension question goes, that's honestly up to you. If you think that the hardtail is holding you back really tearing it up, then save up your cash and get yourself the best bike you can afford. I'm on a hardtail and don't have many probs, I figure that the longer I'm on this bike I'll be that much better when I eventually upgrade to a smoother rig.

    Interesting you say that. This brings up another topic. I don't know if you are implying that those who have FS have better bikes than someone with a HT ( I don't think thats what you mean). But, there are alot of people out there that think FS is better than HT, gears are better than SS. That it is an upgrade to have a FS bike. I see it as what "type" of riding style/experience you want to have. I like having the choice to grab my SS HT or FS gears it's all what I am in the mood for. At this point in my riding life I will struggle with the decision all day of which bike I want to ride tonight (I only have two, 3rd one on the way).....do I feel like having a cushy ride but able to go over things a little faster or do I feel like hammering it out and enjoying the simpleness of single speed that puts a perm-a-grin on my face everytime I happen to ride it. ANyways, this is just something that has been on my mind.
  • 02-28-2006
    Paul B
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mcoplea
    Nice. By your standards, about 1/2 of the mountain bikers out there are "posers" - including myself.

    I have 2 bike related stickers on my vehicle. What would my poser rating be?? :confused:

    6.3 on the Standardized Mountain Bike Poser Scale. The math is real complicated, and there are sigmas and mus and stuff in there. Don't ask for an explanation.

    Weighting and averaging may bring it up to a 6.8 or so, depending on your riding frequency and choice of facial hair.

    p.
  • 03-02-2006
    Tukson Rider
    I will say, racing last year at Estrella, those riding an F/S had an advantage over my riding style with a hardtail.

    On the uphills, the rocky terrain had me lose my momentum more times than I can count where the squishies just plowed thru whatever was in their way.

    On the decents, where I had to pick my line, the squishies just ran over everything willy-nilly.

    My biggest mistake riding that course was not running fatter tires though. *shrugs* I was running 1.9s at max pressure. Live and learn.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by borregokid
    The last couple of years my main "squeeze" has been a race grade hardtail I picked up for $400. That bike has put a smile on my face more times than I can count. However a couple of times it has let me down. Last year some guys who know I ride a lot "suckered" me into a technical ride and i wrecked my knee-torn ACL and everything else.(you dont have to fix a torn ACL-Just Keep Riding). Last week I raced at the Pueblo and the bike smoked leaving a lot of FS rigs in the dust.

    The Estrella race was the most recent let down. I really didnt pass anybody and I crashed about four times. It was the type of race that guys with FS rigs who I usually beat by 7-8 minutes now had their turn beating me by 7-8 minutes.

    Anyway it boils down to this, I think I want to be a "poser" although I cant afford it. I would rather be looking pretty at the finish on a Fuel 110 rather that sitting in the medic tent getting bandaged. :D

  • 03-02-2006
    KavuRider
    Oh crud
    I guess I'm a poseur. I (did) have lots of stickers on my car (all bike related) and I have a cycling-related tattoo. Course, I drive a car that is worth less than half of what each of my rides is worth and most of the stickers were from companies that I work with, so does that cancel the other out? ;)

    Cheers

    KavuRider
  • 03-03-2006
    hcooper
    huh?
    i thought hardtails allowed better traction when climbing and if you pick your line correctly, you should fly down hills as smoothly as the double-squishies.... there's just no way you can stay in the saddle on the babyheads, unless you like that sort of thing.

    i say, "ride a hardtail until your back gives out....and then continue to ride a hard tail."

    but hey, i'm just an unfrozen caveman hardtail mtn. bike rider and your world frightens me...

    ti hardtails = the shizzle.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tukson Rider
    I will say, racing last year at Estrella, those riding an F/S had an advantage over my riding style with a hardtail.

    On the uphills, the rocky terrain had me lose my momentum more times than I can count where the squishies just plowed thru whatever was in their way.

    On the decents, where I had to pick my line, the squishies just ran over everything willy-nilly.

    My biggest mistake riding that course was not running fatter tires though. *shrugs* I was running 1.9s at max pressure. Live and learn.

  • 03-03-2006
    Tukson Rider
    If you pick your lines correctly while climbing, you maintain momentum. To increase traction, I just stay seated or if standing, lean back a little while pedaling.

    Estrella trail is very rocky uphills and down.

    As for flying down hills, with the right tire pressure and tires, you can go fairly smoothly, but you still have to pick lines. Usually picking lines is not the "go straight down tactic" the squishies are able to do thus saving time and speed.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hcooper
    i thought hardtails allowed better traction when climbing and if you pick your line correctly, you should fly down hills as smoothly as the double-squishies.... there's just no way you can stay in the saddle on the babyheads, unless you like that sort of thing.

    i say, "ride a hardtail until your back gives out....and then continue to ride a hard tail."

    but hey, i'm just an unfrozen caveman hardtail mtn. bike rider and your world frightens me...

    ti hardtails = the shizzle.

  • 12-05-2011
    BKKFARANG
    Ride what you love and don't worry what others think ! nuf said
  • 12-05-2011
    Buggy
    Maybee ask johnnio
  • 12-05-2011
    johnnio
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BKKFARANG View Post
    Ride what you love and don't worry what others think ! nuf said

    so did it take you 5 years to come up with that answer ? The thread is from 2006.
  • 12-05-2011
    Buggy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by johnnio View Post
    so did it take you 5 years to come up with that answer ? The thread is from 2006.

    Im quick like that:thumbsup:
  • 12-05-2011
    DashRiprock™®©
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
    Would you rather be a "poser" on an FS or a blue collar rider on a hardtail?

    Learn basic bike mechanics to maintain a modern lightweight geared FS and step into the "90's." You know they have disc brakes now too. . :D JK.

    Dash
  • 12-05-2011
    azdog
    Kavurider now owns a car that cost more than his bikes. Oh how times have changed.
  • 12-05-2011
    randyharris
    Poser and Blue Collar are the only choices?

    I'll stick to "NO SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN!"
  • 12-05-2011
    raisingarizona
    Who asks things like that? WTF!!!!!!! Ride a bike, drink some beers, get a nice lil honey to squeeze on and chill the **** out!
  • 12-05-2011
    longhairmike
    what's a collar,, i don't own any of those.
  • 12-06-2011
    doodooboi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Kavurider now owns a car that cost more than his bikes. Oh how times have changed.

    Yeah but still just as broke! :p
  • 12-06-2011
    grizzlyplumber
    This thread gets the Lazarus award. Way to raise the dead.
  • 12-06-2011
    cstem
    Yuri- non black handlebars gives you cred!

    DirDir- just thought of you the other day. At least when we battled on here it was fun! You still riding?
  • 12-06-2011
    Strongbrown
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    This thread gets the Lazarus award. Way to raise the dead.

    Haha QFT!
  • 12-06-2011
    TrailNut
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by El profeta negro View Post
    I gauge a "poser" not by the bike they ride, but by how many bike related stickers they have on the back of their vehicle.

    oh crap, I had better take off my stickers, even though I am a poser, I don't want to look like one: NorCAL HS MTB League, WTB, Fox Shocks, Hang Ten longboard, 2-Mile Surf Shop, Hermosa Beach Surf Shop, LaSportiva (my hiking boot's), Independent Truck, and Gracie BJJ

    :madman:


    ....JK..

    my SS HT's for rainy day mud and have been mashing my geared crmo HT up hills, slow as molasses, since the last Century.

    get what you want and can afford. :thumbsup:
  • 08-23-2014
    Ronald Brown
    Blue collar on a hard tail
  • 08-23-2014
    chollaball
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ronald Brown View Post
    Blue collar on a hard tail

    JTFC. when this thread cums dust shoots out.
  • 08-27-2014
    Hawgzilla
    Why not be two-faced and have one of each bike? Isn't that the "trend" nowadays?
  • 08-29-2014
    blaklabl
    Would you rather be a "poser" on an FS or a blue collar rider on a hardtail?
    Not only is this thread uber-old, my god just breezing through it there are so many people that were once "regulars" here that apparently no longer post. I had forgotten many there were.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • 08-29-2014
    SSdirt29
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Not only is this thread uber-old, my god just breezing through it there are so many people that were once "regulars" here that apparently no longer post. I had forgotten many there were.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

    or they still post but under a different username ; )
  • 08-29-2014
    Eggy
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 08-29-2014
    SSdirt29
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 08-29-2014
    blaklabl
    Would you rather be a "poser" on an FS or a blue collar rider on a hardtail?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    or they still post but under a different username ; )

    Well, yeah...😉
  • 09-06-2014
    camekanix
    Damn, I'm a blue collar poser. I have several bikes (poser-ish) but no tats or stickers.
    All of them are relatively cheap and 3 are SS (blue collar). I'm also a hopelessly unskilled rider which brings us back to poserville.
  • 09-06-2014
    Hawgzilla
    I ride flashing my two gold molars at passers by if that matters at all in my placement on the mountain biker's pyramid of glory.
  • 09-08-2014
    mazzystar
    taking a selfie while riding... that kick it up a notch.... lol
  • 09-08-2014
    JACKL
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post

    Agreed. This thread blows.