"Workout Loop" (McDowells) - Another TT Thread...- Mtbr.com
    I am Walt

"Workout Loop" (McDowells) - Another TT Thread...

OK, I'll add my Workout Loop to the various TT threads that people have posted of some of their favorite TT/workout rides.

I love this loop; it's my "home course", and my most common ride (Deanna and I also trail run a portion of it, as our trail run Workout Loop). It has a little bit of everything, and will definitely challenge you!

Here's the route, and below is the Garmin track from my fastest time:
    - Start at the 128th St. trailhead (north of Via Linda); start watch at the sign/map.
    - Go left, down lower Ringtail
    - Loop around, bearing right, staying right, on lower Sunrise
    - Look for the obvious left turn, by some boulders (about .81 miles in), go left
    - This connects to Lost Dog (bear right/straight at junction); head up Lost Dog
    - Continue on Lost Dog, past the right-hand turnoff to Ringtail
    - Up, up, up (easy to moderate; one short, steep section)
    - You'll run into the Old Jeep Rd (T-intersection); go left
    - Head up to the Taliesin Overlook (and yes, go left and up to the Overlook for a view and split-check...under 20 mins to here is good)
    - Down from Overlook, and down the rocky downhill (still Lost Dog)
    - Continue straight past the right-hand turn (which is Upper Quartz)
    - Turn right at the T, onto Lower Quartz...enjoy the long, really fun buff downhill. There are a few points to pay attention to, but stay on the obvious, and marked, Quartz trail.
    - Go all the way to the bottom, spitting out by the golf course, and the Westworld Trail (dirt road by the canal)...36 mins to here is good.
    - Left on Westworld, then look hard for the beginning of the Taliesin trail, about 1/2 up
    - Take Taliesin through the lower flats, then up a short, steep dirt climb, then right, then up a bit and left...LOOK FOR AND FOLLOW THE SIGNS!!
    - Take Taliesin all the way back up (long, gradual climb) to the "T" where you turned onto Lower Quartz, go right here, and climb back up to the Overlook (hard, and always the crux of the ride). Don't stop at the Overlook this time...1:00-1:01 to here is good- Continue on Old Jeep Road...don't turn right on Lost Dog (where you came out on the way up)
    - Take this all the way, then down a very rocky, chunky downhill, to where it "T's" at Ringtail...go left on Ringtail
    - Take Ringtail (some tight switchbacks) all the way, across lower Sunrise, and back to the TH

Garmin track:
    MSP Workout Loop - FASTEST! by waltlopus at Garmin Connect - Details

My best SS (32x19) time is 1:23-mid-something, and my goal was always sub-1:20. Last week, I took my new Stumpy Comp geared HT out on it for the first time, and did 1:19.57...more than half of which was in the dark! My new goal is now sub-1:15, and I'd love to see if someone could do it in under an hour. That would be impressive, and you'll get a case of beer from me!

I am real interested to see how people do on this, and expect to get crushed, time-wise. Good luck, and post up!!
    Ride more; post less...

Got a suspension fork
    Similar but a little different from the WaltAZ ride back in Sep 2009... Should be fun.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Dirt Merchant
    As soon as I can get work out of the way, I'm all over this one. That looks like a good run!
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Your left section loop is my normal quick ride. Ive added the right side in on occasion. Even made the mistake of attempting to ride the jeep trail.. No good there! Ill try and get out and ride this loop from my normal starting point on the West world loop.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    OK, I'll add my Workout Loop to the various TT threads that people have posted of some of their favorite TT/workout rides.

I love this loop; it's my "home course", and my most common ride (Deanna and I also trail run a portion of it, as our trail run Workout Loop). It has a little bit of everything, and will definitely challenge you!

Here's the route, and below is the Garmin track from my fastest time:
    - Start at the 128th St. trailhead (north of Via Linda); start watch at the sign/map.
    - Go left, down lower Ringtail
    - Loop around, bearing right, staying right, on lower Sunrise
    - Look for the obvious left turn, by some boulders (about .81 miles in), go left
    - This connects to Lost Dog (bear right/straight at junction); head up Lost Dog
    - Continue on Lost Dog, past the right-hand turnoff to Ringtail
    - Up, up, up (easy to moderate; one short, steep section)
    - You'll run into the Old Jeep Rd (T-intersection); go left
    - Head up to the Taliesin Overlook (and yes, go left and up to the Overlook for a view and split-check...under 20 mins to here is good)
    - Down from Overlook, and down the rocky downhill (still Lost Dog)
    - Continue straight past the right-hand turn (which is Upper Quartz)
    - Turn right at the T, onto Lower Quartz...enjoy the long, really fun buff downhill. There are a few points to pay attention to, but stay on the obvious, and marked, Quartz trail.
    - Go all the way to the bottom, spitting out by the golf course, and the Westworld Trail (dirt road by the canal)...36 mins to here is good.
    - Left on Westworld, then look hard for the beginning of the Taliesin trail, about 1/2 up
    - Take Taliesin through the lower flats, then up a short, steep dirt climb, then right, then up a bit and left...LOOK FOR AND FOLLOW THE SIGNS!!
    - Take Taliesin all the way back up (long, gradual climb) to the "T" where you turned onto Lower Quartz, go right here, and climb back up to the Overlook (hard, and always the crux of the ride). Don't stop at the Overlook this time...1:00-1:01 to here is good- Continue on Old Jeep Road...don't turn right on Lost Dog (where you came out on the way up)
    - Take this all the way, then down a very rocky, chunky downhill, to where it "T's" at Ringtail...go left on Ringtail
    - Take Ringtail (some tight switchbacks) all the way, across lower Sunrise, and back to the TH

Garmin track:
    MSP Workout Loop - FASTEST! by waltlopus at Garmin Connect - Details

My best SS (32x19) time is 1:23-mid-something, and my goal was always sub-1:20. Last week, I took my new Stumpy Comp geared HT out on it for the first time, and did 1:19.57...more than half of which was in the dark! My new goal is now sub-1:15, and I'd love to see if someone could do it in under an hour. That would be impressive, and you'll get a case of beer from me!

I am real interested to see how people do on this, and expect to get crushed, time-wise. Good luck, and post up!!
    What ratio are you running on this loop. Would 32:18 on my SS be to spinny?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Similar but a little different from the WaltAZ ride back in Sep 2009... Should be fun.
    It's a great route...almost twice as much climbing in just one more mile vs your DC route. And more tech, and a number of spots that are tricky...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    What ratio are you running on this loop. Would 32:18 on my SS be to spinny?
    I'm running 32x19 now, but ran 32x18 for 2+ years out there...great SS route; I ride my SS 95% of the time. 18 will be a bit spinny on the downs and flats, but not too bad.
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    Your left section loop is my normal quick ride. Ive added the right side in on occasion. Even made the mistake of attempting to ride the jeep trail.. No good there! Ill try and get out and ride this loop from my normal starting point on the West world loop.
    The Old Jeep Road is good going the way of this route (S/SE), but is a real grunt going the other way. Starting from Westworld is slightly easier, IMO, because you knock out the harder climbing (rocky section up to Overlook, and Jeep Rd) in the first half of the ride. Only slightly, though...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by tplace View Post
    As soon as I can get work out of the way, I'm all over this one. That looks like a good run!
    It's a great run...lots of easy to moderate climbing, a couple short blow-up climbs, an epically fun, non-tech, flowy downhill (Quartz), and a variety of skills-challenges. And the final downhill section, down Ringtail to the trailhead, is a flowy ripper (watch for hikers, though).
    Ride more; post less...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    That is a fun loop, I'll have to give it a go!

Sounds like we PHX area riders need a website like Rocks 'n clocks
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Ahhh the pain....
    For those that don't use strava, it's a website (free) where you can upload your tracks and create "segments" over which the site tracks a leaderboard. Several cool things about it...first, you can create whatever segments you want from a full TT to a short hill climb. Second, it will figure out your times over that segment so there's no issues of data validity, third, for those that ride alone, it's a nice way to have virtual competition to push you. You can also display just your results over a given segment to see your improvements. I'm in no way associated with them, but was convinced to give it a go by randyharris.
    Since there's lot's of people in the Phoenix area using it, there's already lots of segments already made for the popular trails and hill climbs. Just upload your track and see where you stack up!

Meatbomb
    Damn, this thread really drives home how much I suck... Taliesin / Quartz / Lost Dog are my 'home' trails as well and there is no way I could come close to that time on that loop. Hell, I have to HAB the rocky jeep road up to the look out.

Must ride it more

Dirt Merchant
    Downloaded the course from ya Walt! Pending work, I hope to get out soon and give it a spin.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by tplace View Post
    Downloaded the course from ya Walt! Pending work, I hope to get out soon and give it a spin.
    Awesome...let us know how you do!!
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Damn, this thread really drives home how much I suck... Taliesin / Quartz / Lost Dog are my 'home' trails as well and there is no way I could come close to that time on that loop. Hell, I have to HAB the rocky jeep road up to the look out.

Must ride it more
    You pinned it...ride more, and watch your times come down...!
    Ride more; post less...

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by raybum View Post
    for those that don't use strava, it's a website (free) where you can upload your tracks and create "segments" over which the site tracks a leaderboard. Several cool things about it...first, you can create whatever segments you want from a full tt to a short hill climb. Second, it will figure out your times over that segment so there's no issues of data validity, third, for those that ride alone, it's a nice way to have virtual competition to push you. You can also display just your results over a given segment to see your improvements. I'm in no way associated with them, but was convinced to give it a go by randyharris.
    Since there's lot's of people in the phoenix area using it, there's already lots of segments already made for the popular trails and hill climbs. Just upload your track and see where you stack up!
    +1

mtbr member
    That looks like fun- thanks for posting and Semper Fi to your son!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Nice. I think I'll put it on my calendar. The DC TT is really fast and easy so it'll be nice to see how this one stacks up with some of the tech and more climbing.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Must ride it more
    Just so you dont feel bad.. I used to have to walk most of it. Now I only stop when I do something stupid

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    Just so you dont feel bad.. I used to have to walk most of it. Now I only stop when I do something stupid
    It's the crux of every ride; the thing that makes or breaks the ride for me. I make it 95 times out of 100, but have to focus every time, and it bugs me all day if I spin out or do something stupid and have to dab. And if you have to dab, you're kinda screwed because it's very difficult to get started again in the middle of that climb, particularly on an SS.
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Nice. I think I'll put it on my calendar. The DC TT is really fast and easy so it'll be nice to see how this one stacks up with some of the tech and more climbing.
    Very different ride; much harder, and I know that DC loop well. The only comparable part of the DC loop is the rocky climb and descent up to and down from the saddle below Corona Loma...there's alot of that on the Workout Loop!
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    That looks like fun- thanks for posting and Semper Fi to your son!
    Thanks, cstem!!
    Ride more; post less...

banned
    Nov 2011
    Wow, what a great loop!!! I see why you call it 'The Workout Loop" I finished at 1:38:39 on my geared Moots 26'er.

Curious to see my time on my 29'er both geared and SS.

Thanks Waltaz!

I am Walt
    Wow, what a great loop!!! I see why you call it 'The Workout Loop" I finished at 1:38:39 on my geared Moots 26'er.

Curious to see my time on my 29'er both geared and SS.

Thanks Waltaz!
    Nice!! How did you do on the rocky climb back up to the Overlook? And your 29'ers will do much better out there...
    Ride more; post less...

banned
    Nov 2011
    Nice!! How did you do on the rocky climb back up to the Overlook? And your 29'ers will do much better out there...

Dabbed quit a bit, but first time ridding that line...

I am Walt
    Dabbed quit a bit, but first time ridding that line...
    Yep; definitely takes a few rides to dial that climb in...
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    ^takes a few packages of caffeine-infused Gu, more like it, but yeah, great climb right there, although I still can't do it on my SS :-(

I was out there running this morning and saw a lot of people riding. The
    Cold obviously isn't keeping people at home!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Great loop... you left out up Sunrise, down the backside, up the backside, and down back to lost dog... oh wait, that is a training loop all by itself.

+1 on Strava. I am an avid use and have made quite a few segments in the the Preserve.

banned
    Huh, so did you get to keep the old house, or do you just drive back over there to run/ride the trails? Just curious.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Damn....I finished a 1:41:23 on My SS. It was that damn climb that got me. Should have just ran or jogged up instead of starting/stopping on the SS and trying to clean every move. Still the the geared, ti, 26'er will be the best time for me...mebbe its just the ti.

banned
    Nov 2011
    1:39:26 on the Moots geared 26er. Did better on the climb, but got hung up in a few small other places..

I am Walt
    1:19.36 on the 29er SS (32x19). Good ride; did work! Best SS time by 4+ minutes.
    Ride more; post less...

banned
    Nov 2011
    1:19.36 on the 29er SS (32x19). Good ride; did work! Best SS time by 4+ minutes.
    That so sick!!! DO WORK SON! Thats such a badass time bro, BADASS

I am Walt
    That so sick!!! DO WORK SON! Thats such a badass time bro, BADASS
    Lots and lots and lots of reps out there...I know all the lines, and where I can push, what to expect, etc...makes a huge difference in your speed. And all the racers will crush that time...again, I think someone can push one hour for this route.
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Here's the link to Strava for my latest (and fastest) time out there:
    Bike Ride Profile | 13 miles near Scottsdale | Times and Records | Strava

BTW, Strava is one cool web site...
    Ride more; post less...

Ahhh the pain....
    Made a TT Friday out of it today....did the WaltAZ TT and finished in 1:11:21.
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 13 miles near Scottsdale | Times and Records | Strava
    Did the TT3 Shaw Butte To towers and finished in 13:49
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 1 miles near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

man, for riding less than 20 miles, I'm beat!
    oh, and both on the SS with 32x20 gearing.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post

I am Walt
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 13 miles near Scottsdale | Times and Records | Strava
    Did the TT3 Shaw Butte To towers and finished in 13:49
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 1 miles near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

man, for riding less than 20 miles, I'm beat!
    oh, and both on the SS with 32x20 gearing.
    Sick time, Ray!! I think I can get to 1:15, but 1:11 is way out there...nice job!!
    Ride more; post less...

I gave this a proper go after one failed attempt that had me starting at Lost Dog rather than 128th St. I should have studied up more. Even then, I finished the loop in 1:28, so I thought I might be in the running. I was pleased to find that today I pulled in a 1:19:06, a mere 28 seconds ahead of Walt! I was racing your 1:23 course file, and thought I was a fair bit ahead. I guess not! With a little more extra juice, I might be able to nip at Ray's heels. Of course, I'm running gears and these studs are SSing it. Next I'll take my SS out and see how comparable I am then.

I really like this TT, as it has some sustained climbs, a few nice downhill runs, and some loose stuff to keep you on your toes. You really want to push it once to get on Ringtail, but the cholla forest hanging on the side of the trail keeps you in check. I'd hate to slide into one of those!

I also like the Strava. Its a pretty good way to compare rides and kinda have a partner for those little local loops that are before or after work that are usually solo, but now you can compare times with a bunch of people. The segment option is pretty sweet too, as you could just try to rock out one climb or downhill section, rather than go all in for a full TT. It's also great for TT like this, since it makes all GPX the same start/stop. After I registered, I ended up loading a bunch of files just to see how I compared on sections. Looks like there is a pretty good user base in the valley too. Groovy stuff, I recommend it, and thanks for passing it on!

mtbr member
    +1 for Strava . Not everyone has a Garmin (to use the Garmin site) but most people have GPS on their phone and can use Strava.

Got a suspension fork
    I suppose my new goal is 1h19m05s.

Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    I suppose my new goal is 1h19m05s.
    You should make it 1:11:20.

Got a suspension fork
    You should make it 1:11:20.
    Let's be realistic now.

Ahhh the pain....
    Man, it's only a matter of time that yet ANOTHER one of my KOM's is taken from me.
    Guess it's time to quit my job and become cabana boy for the wife so I have more time to ride.
    In all seriousness, the Strava thing is great...It's fun to be KOM, but it's more fun to go gunning at the guy who is...especially when they are cat 1 racers!

Meatbomb
    "- Take Taliesin through the lower flats, then up a short, steep dirt climb, then right, then up a bit and left...LOOK FOR AND FOLLOW THE SIGNS!!
    - Take Taliesin all the way back up (long, gradual climb) to the "T" where you turned onto Lower Quartz, "

What are your times for this climb?

mtbr member
    Man, it's only a matter of time that yet ANOTHER one of my KOM's is taken from me.
    Guess it's time to quit my job and become cabana boy for the wife so I have more time to ride.
    In all seriousness, the Strava thing is great...It's fun to be KOM, but it's more fun to go gunning at the guy who is...especially when they are cat 1 racers!
    Yah the job thing really puts a damper on the training... Glad I have one though

mtbr member
    "- Take Taliesin through the lower flats, then up a short, steep dirt climb, then right, then up a bit and left...LOOK FOR AND FOLLOW THE SIGNS!!
    - Take Taliesin all the way back up (long, gradual climb) to the "T" where you turned onto Lower Quartz, "

If you look on Strava someones probably done it if you want to look at times.

Meatbomb
    I'll take a look but I'm afraid I'll be embarrassed ..

Ahhh the pain....
    Here you go...
    Taliesin Climb from Westworld to
    fasted dood is 14:04...

mtbr member
    I'll take a look but I'm afraid I'll be embarrassed ..
    It's all relative, moving from 28th place to 25th is just as rewarding as third place to king of the mountain. It just gives me something to shoot for without actually having to pay to race.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by cilantro13 View Post
    Great loop... you left out up Sunrise, down the backside, up the backside, and down back to lost dog... oh wait, that is a training loop all by itself.

+1 on Strava. I am an avid use and have made quite a few segments in the the Preserve.
    I've started doing an "Sunrise, Over and Back" from 128th as a training ride...only 9 miles or so, but 2000-some feet of climbing! Not quite wanting to tack that onto the Workout Loop...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    I gave this a proper go after one failed attempt that had me starting at Lost Dog rather than 128th St. I should have studied up more. Even then, I finished the loop in 1:28, so I thought I might be in the running. I was pleased to find that today I pulled in a 1:19:06, a mere 28 seconds ahead of Walt! I was racing your 1:23 course file, and thought I was a fair bit ahead. I guess not! With a little more extra juice, I might be able to nip at Ray's heels. Of course, I'm running gears and these studs are SSing it. Next I'll take my SS out and see how comparable I am then.

I really like this TT, as it has some sustained climbs, a few nice downhill runs, and some loose stuff to keep you on your toes. You really want to push it once to get on Ringtail, but the cholla forest hanging on the side of the trail keeps you in check. I'd hate to slide into one of those!

I also like the Strava. Its a pretty good way to compare rides and kinda have a partner for those little local loops that are before or after work that are usually solo, but now you can compare times with a bunch of people. The segment option is pretty sweet too, as you could just try to rock out one climb or downhill section, rather than go all in for a full TT. It's also great for TT like this, since it makes all GPX the same start/stop. After I registered, I ended up loading a bunch of files just to see how I compared on sections. Looks like there is a pretty good user base in the valley too. Groovy stuff, I recommend it, and thanks for passing it on!
    Great job, Seron...and you even did the obligatory stop at the Overlook on the way out!! That's a solid time...now I have to go out and beat it! Now Ray's time, that's another story...

And I totally agree re this course...it has a little bit of everything, and keeps you focused. And yeah, let loose down the slalom run down Ringtail to the finish at your own peril!!

And I, too, am hooked on Strava!! Regarding the Segments, I set up three main ones for this ride, as follows:
    - True Quartz DH...
    - Taliesin Climb...
    - Workout Loop Homestretch...

Details for each are on Strava. They go along with the existing Lost Dog Out segment, which captures the initial, outbound portion of the course. Those four segments are the key splits for the ride...

Again, great job!!
    Last edited by waltaz; 01-04-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt

As Ray noted above, I set this as a Strava segment. The fastest time is Todd Purdin, at 14:04. Ray did it in 15:52, and Seron in 16:18. This is where I lost a bit of time, as I did it in 17:19. I need to push that long, gradual climb much harder!
    Last edited by waltaz; 01-04-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    It's all relative, moving from 28th place to 25th is just as rewarding as third place to king of the mountain. It just gives me something to shoot for without actually having to pay to race.
    Totally agree!!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Totally agree!!
    From a fellow Infantryman , all the best to your son. Takes a BIG SET O BALLS to be a volunteer in this day and age.

I am Walt
    From a fellow Infantryman , all the best to your son. Takes a BIG SET O BALLS to be a volunteer in this day and age.
    Thanks, man...I *sincerely* appreciate it!!!
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    1:18:05, not counting a 2:36 stop to fix a dropped chain...

And that HURT!!!
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Switched to a 20T, and did 1:18:39, not including a couple minutes after a crash...

Interesting to compare my splits on Strava...so consistent from ride to ride...don't know how I'm gonna get to 1:15-ish...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt

New PR...

1:16:11...

WaltAZ Workout Loop TT

Bring it!!
    Ride more; post less...

I guess not crashing saved you two minutes! Nice job. I need to get out and get that loop again. It's been a while. I really want to put a SS time to it.

mtbr member
    1:16:11...

WaltAZ Workout Loop TT

Bring it!!
    Did you run SS on this ?

I have to get out to MSP to run this one. I haven't been there since the day the Cardinals were in the superbowl... ( I remember it because of all the cheering/booing I heard from sunrise).

I wish Strava would allow you to select points in between start and finish. So many of the MTB segment standings are littered with results of rides that don't even come close to the actual intended route. DC TT1 for example, anyone that rides anything close gets in the results. I'm still a Strava addict though. I spend far too much time scoping out segments.

I am Walt
    Did you run SS on this ?

I have to get out to MSP to run this one. I haven't been there since the day the Cardinals were in the superbowl... ( I remember it because of all the cheering/booing I heard from sunrise).

I wish Strava would allow you to select points in between start and finish. So many of the MTB segment standings are littered with results of rides that don't even come close to the actual intended route. DC TT1 for example, anyone that rides anything close gets in the results. I'm still a Strava addict though. I spend far too much time scoping out segments.
    Yep; SS...32x19.

It's a great loop...hard TT, as it has a lot of climbing, and a little bit of everything. Hit it up!

Agree re Strava on various rides/routes/segments. Probably worth an e-mail to them, to see if they can do anything about that.
    Ride more; post less...