Wonderschlautt Epic- Mtbr.com

Wonderschlautt Epic

Hoo boy - that was definitely epic. My GPS said 48 miles, 9:21 total time (2:48 of that was standing around), and 8300 feet of climbing. Two flats and one major mechanical (more about that later). The course covered a lot of ground we were familiar with, but also a substantial amount of trails we've never been on.

So, somewhere around half-way through the ride our fearless leader (Steve) broke his lightweight seatpost. Of course the part that broke was something no one had in their pack. So someone found some barbed wire and some other, thinner, wire on a nearby fence. After messing with that for a while and having the wire break a few times we needed to come up with a different solution. For whatever reason there was part of a webbed strap on the fence where we got the wire. Someone had the genius idea to use that for the repair. Miracle of miracles, it actually worked - at least for a while. It probably lasted the next 20 miles, but gave out while we were near Granite Mountain. At that point, Steve opted to finish (no way he was going to quit) without a seatpost. Try riding more than a few hundred yards without sitting down and tell me how much fun that is. Steve ended up sending the rest of the group ahead so he could do the pedal/recover cycle while we ripped up some new (to me), and super fun, trail that paralleled the boring part of 323. Anyhow, the rest of us finished up soon after and settled into the beer garden to refuel. Steve did eventually finish the course and joined us in the beer garden.

So, add it up:
    Some really great sections of trail.
    really awesome views
    some "challenging" sections
    really great folks to ride with
    this epic ride was FREE
    Wonderschlautt t-shirt for all that finished (free ride with a t-shirt? Never heard of that)
    Beergarden at the end with bratwurst and good german beer on tap

And you get a really great ride - well worth doing. I'm sure Nancy and I will be back next year. Thanks Steve for putting this together and seeing it through.

--Jeff

The PNF Ax Man.
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    , trail that paralleled the boring part of 323.
    --Jeff
    I'm guessing you meant 332?

Love MacGyver bikes stories.

Dash
    Clearer-er of Prescott trails. Downhill downfall in your way? PM me. Have ax, will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by DashRiprock™®© View Post
    I'm guessing you meant 332?

Love MacGyver bikes stories.

Dash

"Yeah. 220... 221, whatever it takes."

Always amusing to watch a bunch of mountain bikers come up with a fix to a big mechanical. If a couple of them are engineers it gets even better. In the end this fix was pretty simple and elegant.

This incident made me roll up some thin steel wire stash in my pack. That would have fixed the problem pretty nicely.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    "Yeah. 220... 221, whatever it takes."
    Nice. Someone else that know that movie. "Call Starkist..."

Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Nice. Someone else that know that movie. "Call Starkist..."

Probably only those of us "of a certain age".

Wrench-O-Phile
    Was a great ride with some really strong riders. Was good to see smiles persevere throughout despite the mechanical mishaps.

Big thanks for everyone helping me get my seatpost rigged to at least salvage a good part of the ride with support.

My shoulders are a bit sore today... but otherwise just really stoked at how many people were able to complete the loop or variations of it.

Big miles, big gain... big 364 days until the next one.
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I'll kick in, this was a great weekend. weather got a little warm mid day but nice and cold at night.
    I got up there Friday night to join in the night ride, I didn't read the post well and thought we were meeting at the deli to ride to Thumb Butte, I get there and some people tell me they are metting at the parking lot there. I haul ass back to the house then load the truck and have my brother drop me off and I make it just in time. Met Steve who was leading the ride and glad to see he was SS. Not glad to see he was in a easier gear than I was and he's a strong rider so I am pushing hard the whole time. I got on some fun and even a few new trails I never done before. That night ride ended up being about 1:29hrs 14miles with 1709 ft of climbing. I ride down to the deli and have a few beers then hit the bars and get back to bed about 2:30am.
    Wake up Saturday to ride Granit Basin, met everyone there and some horse people who we chated with and they seem like great guys. ride all over that mountain ending up with 1:21hrs 13miles and 1395ft of climbing.
    I get a phone call from a buddy of mine who got into town about 11 and wanted to ride something so I changed my gearing and we head off to do White spar camp up the lower end (dont know trail name) to Senitor Hwy then up to 396 and back having a beer break at Goldwater lake. we ended up at the main parking lot feeling good so we decide to go across the road and take the new trail up to White spar rock and to the back side but I bonked and ran out of water so we cut it short taking the single track (whiskey off road reverse) down to Copper road and back to the house. 2:28hrs 22miles 2496ft of hell climbing. burnt out and sore I washed up walked into town and ate like no tomorrow. missed some of the game but later find out I was dumb enough to sign up for the roller war. I won my first heat by mil sec. and wished I didn't, I was in so much pain I wanted to vomit. 2nd heat came on and thankfully getting spanked by my competitor. I never felt so much pain in the quads and I felt like i had a rock in my stomach. overall a great time even with the pain and bonking, I ended up over 47miles 5:19hrs 5600ft of climbing and loved it. wish I were in better shape so I could have did the roller war and not feel like cutting my legs off. great time and will do it again next year.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Tucson, AZ
    Sounds like a great time!