Wish me luck- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wish me luck

I, Mudd

Wish me luck

I'm about to attempt my first wheel truing today. I printed up three instruction guides from the internet. It can't be that hard, right?

I guess the real question is- is it easier or harder with a couple brews? Maybe there is a scientifically proven relationship curve between brews consumed and precision of trued wheel?

mtbr member
    Skip the truing and drink the beer. After a number of beers, it won't matter if the wheel is true or not.

My other ride is your mom
    Costco sells 24 packs of Celebration Ale....just picked up a pack....that stuff will knock you around a bit

mtbr member
    You can also try Four Peak's Kiltlifter! It's one of the best beers around! You can pick up a six pack at Bashas or better yet, drive down to Four Peaks and get a growler or two. Hey is this what you would call a thread HIJACK!

Just Joshin' ya!
    Good luck. It is not that hard. Just treat the nipples well, and it will all work out.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by hfy108
    I'm about to attempt my first wheel truing today. I printed up three instruction guides from the internet. It can't be that hard, right?

I guess the real question is- is it easier or harder with a couple brews? Maybe there is a scientifically proven relationship curve between brews consumed and precision of trued wheel?

Truing is easy. Building a wheel is the hard part. Just remember to take your time and only turn the nipple 1/4 turn each time. The more time you take, the better it will be. Just enjoy it and you'll be ok.

That said, screw it, drink beer and play with different nipples later.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Actually drinking beer and playing with nipples sound fun. It is New Years Eve after all!

I, Mudd
    Alright- its done; I had to replace a total of four spokes. I realized when I started that when I replaced a spoke a month earlier I had put it in wrong. Oops. That's probably why I had today's problem on the trail. . . who knows.

The wheel was so screwed that I ended up loosening all spokes, hand tightening them all then starting from there. It took close to an hour but the wheel looks good now.

I'll see how it does on Hawes tomorrow morning.

Now it's time for the beer!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Truing is easy. Building a wheel is the hard part. Just remember to take your time and only turn the nipple 1/4 turn each time. The more time you take, the better it will be. Just enjoy it and you'll be ok.

That said, screw it, drink beer and play with different nipples later.
    Heh, I've found the opposite can be true sometimes. If your wheel has taken some pretty big hits eventually it's out of true when all of the spokes have "even" tension, so you have to use uneven tension, and sometimes it just gets too great and you either can't get it true in the stand or on the rides it starts snapping spokes. In that case it's easier to build up a new wheel rather than continue to fix the old one. You do have to be familiar with building wheels, but there's few things in bike maint. that are as rewarding as building your own wheels, so set down with sheldon brown and make em round.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfy108

Truing a wheel is a piece of cake. Do you have a truing stand (not necessary, but makes it a bit easier)? I got a real cheap stand from Performance years ago, and it's helpful to get a wheel truely true.

Do you plan to get drunk, or just a bit lubed. If the former, I'd say it will make harder...
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

I, Mudd
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Truing a wheel is a piece of cake. Do you have a truing stand (not necessary, but makes it a bit easier)? I got a real cheap stand from Performance years ago, and it's helpful to get a wheel truely true.
    Here are my truing stands:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0