Willow Dells video- Mtbr.com
    Pivotal figure

Good job! Willow Dells video

Did a little technical riding in Prescott today with Tom. First time riding the Dells, but not the last It gave me a chance to ride the Firebird (Prototype this time) on some trialsy stuff as well as test out the new helmet cam. This is with the GoPro Wide if you're wondering.

Riding the Firebird Prototype in Prescott from Ken Bennett on Vimeo.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Elitest thrill junkie
    Interesting. I've been out there recently on a few bikes. The "AM" bike definitely does better than the FR bike. The video about sums up the entire loop, as it's pretty complete and it takes about that long to do it. Wish there were some sustained trail sections, but there's not much vertical.

It got me thinking though...building trails near Willow Lakes Parkway and towards (and up) Glassford hill. There's got to be some huge potential out there.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    You and your shadow rider made it looks so easy.

Kathleen in AZ
    Fantastic!!

Pivotal figure
    We actually talked to one of the guys from the City while we were out there and that's pretty much what they're planning to do. I don't know the area well enough to know exactly where all he was talking about but they have plans to tie in to some of the existing trail network to the North (?)..

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    We actually talked to one of the guys from the City while we were out there and that's pretty much what they're planning to do. I don't know the area well enough to know exactly where all he was talking about but they have plans to tie in to some of the existing trail network to the North (?)..
    Err, I think Chris (the city guy) was probably referring to the "new land" they have that borders the place where the trail is currently, which will be more of the same for the most part. Based on what I know about what is planned, I'm pretty sure this was what he was referring to. The willow dells thing is incredibly small, and even the "new area" isn't going to be all that much bigger, not anywhere near the scale of the other places to ride around prescott. The area I'm referring to would be on a much larger scale, and it would be cool to have that same kind of riding, but with sustained uphills and downhills. The terrian exists here.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    very nice vid, I've only been out there on my fixie and had a blast...I need to invest in some body armer, that granite is very sharp.
    Darwin was an Optimist

Pivotal figure
    This wasn't Chris (Tom knows him, I don't), he was the guy who makes up the maps for the City. It would be nice to have some longer sections for sure though. We did the loops 2 or 3 times and did some sections both directions. All in about 2.5 hrs (plus playing around). I always wondered why they don't incorporate all the fallen trees into the existing trails. You see them all over and right beside the trail. That would "spice" things up a bit without much effort.

parenting for gnarness
    wow!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Wrench-O-Phile
    Nice vid... seems like you have to really know how wide your bars are there in a couple of sections.

Also looks like there are a lot of creative lines to be had all around.

Thanks for sharing.
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvota
    Also looks like there are a lot of creative lines to be had all around.
    yes their are lines everywhere ...
    Darwin was an Optimist

BOOST THAT SH*T!
    Nice vid. That area looks like a lot of fun.
    "A splendid time was had by all and all were had." ~ Wire Train

Sup?

amazing..

I've only been in and around that area on foot and rockclimbing @ Granite Dells.

That POV camera makes it look deceptively easy. Very cool!
    Some great bike skillz you got there man!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Good time out there yesterday bud! The POV gives it a really unique perspective. I also hope and have spoken with the head of rec dept in PV about the possibility of stuff off the top of Glasssford Hill, that would be really super. There are plans though for more trails where we rode yesterday - so that area will only get better! Kenny makes that stuff look so easy.........

mtbr member
    That area looks awesome! Looks like you could get really creative. Iíd like to take the trials bike up there once the back gets better and itís a tad warmer.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Kenny makes that stuff look so easy.........
    Yes he did.

caninus xerophilous
    Nice work up there. And way to show us the goodness KB.

Pivotal figure
    Man Jeff, your back still messed up? That place could be fun with the trials bike (some spots)... You even get to ride it yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Man Jeff, your back still messed up? That place could be fun with the trials bike (some spots)... You even get to ride it yet?
    Yeah, Iíve been playing around on it quite a bit. I just messed the back up a little again on it this week doing manuals. Iím just going to suck it up and not do anything requiring pulling up or back for the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    Very nice video.

Being fairly new to Prescott, I've ridden the Willow Dells area just a couple of times. Maybe you guys can tell me about something that has my curiosity piqued - what's the story behind the small pet cemetery near the first "Y"? (sorry for the hijack - just wondering)

banned
    Sep 2005
    Very nice, indeed. I think I rode with Tom out at GC last year. He was with helimech?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What a unique video. The whole shadow rider sequence is awesome! With the wide angle lens and the shadow rider effect, you get this P.O.V./second person hybrid mash-up that is quite impressive. I don't think I've seen anything like it it in any other videos.

Good job!

Oh yeah!, The riding is elegant and beautiful. Bullet is a pretty good choice too!

.G.
    "Doing the right thing" is like water. It's good for all living things,and flows without thinking about where it's going.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, the sun actually worked in our favor for most of that ride, unlike today where it was right in my face. This camera especially dislikes direct sunlight, you can't see a thing
    Bullet is a pretty cool song for sure, just about anything from Covenant is good (awesome live show too )
    Tom rides with helimech pretty regularly; he just happened to be headed to Bootleg this weekend or we'd have 3 riders in the video.

Powered by ice cream.
    Ken:

Nice job on the video, and way to find a bunch of great lines on your first time out. There's a couple there I will have to think about a bit. I probably don't have the cajones for them though.

May I add your video to my prior Willow Dells thread so we can keep a record of the stuff all in one place?

James:
    It is what it is. We have lots of sustained vertical here, but a dearth of technical riding, and this area addresses that (at least slow tech anyway). 8-10 miles of this stuff will give you a workout you can not believe and be super fun at the same time. It is like a nice interval workout.

I typically ride all the trails available both forwards and backwards in about an hour, and we only have 2-3 miles thus far.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, its the same Tom then. If you ride with him, then I know you have an elevated skill set. I felt right at home with those two at GC.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    James:
    It is what it is. We have lots of sustained vertical here, but a dearth of technical riding, and this area addresses that (at least slow tech anyway). 8-10 miles of this stuff will give you a workout you can not believe and be super fun at the same time. It is like a nice interval workout.

I typically ride all the trails available both forwards and backwards in about an hour, and we only have 2-3 miles thus far.
    Hmm, I'd say 2 miles is the most we have, and 8-10 miles means riding it around 5 times, I just can't do that, it's totally boring after one loop in each direction. The reason I brought up glassford is that it seems like a place where you could have both technical and vertical, although we do have infinite possibilities in the surrounding mountains. Unfortunately all of the newer trails have been "super buff" as in smooth. We need some technical, but pushing your bike up a 30 foot rock to then go down gets rediculous after a few times. Maybe with the additional "trails" they add (rode the new section to the fence) there will be more and it won't be as easy to burn-out on (not in terms of endurance), but I think the efforts would be better spent ellswhere in terms of trail building. NOW I actually have some time that I could probably do some as well (just not during the middle of the day).

IMO putting technical riding in a little 2-mile loop (straddled by highway 69 and willow creek road) is not the way to make up for the lack of technical riding in the mountains, although it is a benefit and it is nice to have.

Yes, I want my own "South Mountain" right here in town, but being serious for a few moments, maybe sometime in the future we can do what is necessary to get some tech trails put in. Would be cool to have some sustained tech descents/climbs in Thumb Butte and there are infinite possibilities in the surrounding forest. I'd love to see two tech-ish trails: don't need to be full-blown crazy rock gardens, but some jumps and dropoffs and rocks, comming off the top of Thumb Butte. One trail goes down to the end of trail 393 near camp pearlstien, and one goes down from the top to to near where trail (road) 51 meets with Thumb Butte road near the alligator juniper. Both would connect near existing trails and offer longer climbs and descents that would make it easy to ride for a decent amount of time in TB without literally going around in tons of circles.