mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Wife wants a mountain bike

So, my wife has decided she wants a mountain bike. She watched me spend a ton of money on a GF Superfly and now she wants something. Here is the problem, she will ride once, fall, and never ride again. She will not do ANYTHING technical and will walk every hill. She will want a huge seat and full suspension. I hate cheap crap bikes. So, with those constraints, what are some good options? She is out on hybirds. I have been watching craigslist for a used small, but they are hard to find. Oh yea, if you respond, call me Ed. She will be pissed if she thinks I am talking about her . I do need ideas for a beginner womens mountain bike.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertFire
    Here is the problem, she will ride once, fall, and never ride again.

Ed, borrow a bike for her to crash on. Tons cheaper.

mtbr member
    give her $1000.00 cash then let her get a cheap bike and pocket the rest or she can put in some of her money (sacrifice something) and get a real nice bike herself. if you choose the bike and she dosent like it for any reason it will be your fault. or if you are lucky she will buy something else and you can still have a way to get away from her and she can never mention the bike thing again.
    or you borrow your friends wifes bike (or rent) and have her ride with other woman at first she may have a better time than with you then it wont be you that ruined cycling for her.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Ed, borrow a bike for her to crash on. Tons cheaper.
    I 2nd that! There's got to be a loaner out there!

And who knows she may really take to the sport.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've got an '05ish Specialized Hardrock women's model hanging in the garage. It's a hardtail, discs, can't remember the size. My wife is 5'3" and it fit her well. Decent bike, I think she rode it twice and it's been handing since. PM me if you want the specs.

Meatbomb
    NEVER try to teach your spouse a sport. Snow Skiing destroyed a marriage of mine once .. I wonder if she ever made it off the hill

My other ride is your mom
    I used to teach skiing.....saw parents and spouses over and over again, try to teach someone they loved to do something "scary".....never teach anyone you love (or live with) how to do anything involving skill and the threat of physical harm.

Incidentally....I tried to take my wife riding a few times....did not listen to my own advice.....I'm now trying to repair that one.

As for the OP's bike situation....I'd say rent a bike up in sedona....don't say a word....smile...tell her the goal on the day is for her to smile...take your time....and if she loves it...great. If not....take that 1000 bucks like AmoryPaz said and spend it like you want to and buy her a comfort bike with the rest.

mtbr member
    buy her the most expensive bike you can possibly afford and get her to really buy into it. when it doesnt pan out for her you can forever justify spending even more on your future bikes - seeing as how you actually use yours....

mtbr member
    My wife decided she wanted a bike too. Being as she rides the same size frame as me, she got a REALLY nice bike. I have a full squish bike and have been thinking I wanted a hard tail to add to my fleet. Guess what she got. The hard tail I had been wanting. I have been slowly upgrading my bike and moving the old parts to her bike, so hers is damn nice now. It makes a great spare for race day for sure. She too wanted the big seat, so I just bought a spare Thomson with my seat on it and marked my spot. Pull hers out and drop mine in.

She doesn't take it off road BTW. Her and two of her friends ride along the beach on it on Fridays.

mtbr member
    Check out the transition store. They have a lot of Xsmall frames for cheap, and a couple scratch and dent sales. I would also suggest that she meets up with some girls to ride with, otherwise you'll be her teacher, and that will suck.
    Good luck

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Stor...TOKEN=38992749

UBER Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload
    She doesn't take it off road BTW. Her and two of her friends ride along the beach on it on Fridays.
    Damn, you found a beach in AZ?! You gotta tell me where that is!

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I used to teach skiing.....saw parents and spouses over and over again, try to teach someone they loved to do something "scary".....never teach anyone you love (or live with) how to do anything involving skill and the threat of physical harm.
    I actually taught my wife (gf at the time but we did live together) how to snowboard, it was fun but we took things real slow as I am not great on on board myself. However, I would NEVER take her riding.... I guess it depends on the person and the sport in question.

Back on topic though, definitely get a loan for a few rides before you drop any cash. If you do it cheap and she likes it you will end up paying more in the end and if she doesn't like it and you do spend some serious money you will be out it or selling the bike for 20 cents on the dollar. It's a no win situation. Good luck Ed.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gdotbat
    Lake Powell has more shoreline than all of CA... does that count?

Ahhh the pain....

I feel for you...

My wife bought a bike a few months ago when I bought mine...she only spent 600 but got a 2008 bike (hardtail). She loves it but on BCT she crashed in a cacti and doesn't want to go back there. I've taken her on other trails but she says they are either too steep or too boring... So, now I ride most of the time without her, and when she wants to go, we do an easy 1 hour ride...
    I agree with the other posts...rent or borrow a bike and then take her on something reasonably challenging...

parenting for gnarness
    yeah definitely borrow or rent. If your girl is an athlete, but not a mtbr, you have a chance. If your girl is a girly-girl, buy her a road bike.

I have a 2002 Santa Cruz Superlight M built small for a 5' 5'' woman I'd sell as a whole bike or frame. Its currently my commuter. Wheels, brakes and fork are old but functional, drive train and shock are new and in good shape.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    We are living in Fla right now. My wife moves to Tucson in June and I will follow in January. Just snooping around to see what Mtb scene in AZ is like besides HOT.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I used to teach skiing.....saw parents and spouses over and over again, try to teach someone they loved to do something "scary"...
    the best day of my snowboarding life was when my wife smacked her head while not wearing a helmet. the (blinding) light went on and suddenly she was willing to listen to me.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    yeah definitely borrow or rent. If your girl is an athlete, but not a mtbr, you have a chance. If your girl is a girly-girl, buy her a road bike.

I have a 2002 Santa Cruz Superlight M built small for a 5' 5'' woman I'd sell as a whole bike or frame. Its currently my commuter. Wheels, brakes and fork are old but functional, drive train and shock are new and in good shape.
    hahaha great sales pitch... don't buy.. but I do have one for sale!

UBER Addict
    We are living in Fla right now. My wife moves to Tucson in June and I will follow in January. Just snooping around to see what Mtb scene in AZ is like besides HOT.
    Ah, well welcome, when you get here that is! MTB scene is awesome here. We have excellent single track all over the valley, literally minutes from anywhere. And if you like the cooler woodsy stuff during the summer, its only a couple hour drive up north to flag or sedona. You'll be coming during prime riding season though for the valley. Try to pick up Paul Beakley's book 'Mountian Bike America - Arizona' and Cosmic Ray's book 'Fat Tire - Tales and Trails' before you get here, they will both give you a great idea of the trails you be seeing here.

mtbr member
    Ah, well welcome, when you get here that is! MTB scene is awesome here. We have excellent single track all over the valley, literally minutes from anywhere. And if you like the cooler woodsy stuff during the summer, its only a couple hour drive up north to flag or sedona. You'll be coming during prime riding season though for the valley. Try to pick up Paul Beakley's book 'Mountian Bike America - Arizona' and Cosmic Ray's book 'Fat Tire - Tales and Trails' before you get here, they will both give you a great idea of the trails you be seeing here.

Thanks for the book ideas. That will give me something to do next time I am at Barnes and Noble. Used to go to Tucson for Tour de Tucson from 2002-2006, but haven't been back since. Looking forward to coming and looking forward to the Nimbus Brewery again.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I agree with the "don't teach" thing. I thought I could teach someone to ski (I'm a teacher). Wrong.

I took someone relatively inexperienced on a mountain bike to Sedona, and had success. I didn't constantly "teach" this person though, she was naturally interested in the sport. I offered a few tips, but basically didn't care all that much about how she was riding and just made sure she was having fun. I chose trails that I thought she could do, as well as a few sections over her head, but I didn't try to make her ride those sections or provide the "instruction" necessary to do so. Just not worth it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Hot? This is from 3 days ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Lake Powell is not a beach man...I can't stand that Arizona natives call lake shores a beach. A beach is only found near an ocean.

UBER Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Hot? This is from 3 days ago.
    How about you drop your elevation a few thousand feet, then you'll know what hot is!

Just rode in 103 the other day! It was insane!

Quote Originally Posted by RIfreeDE
    Lake Powell is not a beach man...I can't stand that Arizona natives call lake shores a beach. A beach is only found near an ocean.
    A man can dream cant he? I grew up in HI, I dont belong here...

im4Gsus
    geez, i'd hate to the "friend" whose bike you'd borrow so your wife can crash it.

pardon moi, but there seems to be a bit of the wrong attitude here with the whole "wife wants to ride" thing. i kind'a feel sorry for her.

my 2
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RIfreeDE
    Webster disagrees...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/beach

However, I would never call a lake shore a beach... but it also doesn't bother me when people do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertFire
    So, my wife has decided she wants a mountain bike. She watched me spend a ton of money on a GF Superfly and now she wants something. Here is the problem, she will ride once, fall, and never ride again. She will not do ANYTHING technical and will walk every hill. She will want a huge seat and full suspension. I hate cheap crap bikes. So, with those constraints, what are some good options? She is out on hybirds. I have been watching craigslist for a used small, but they are hard to find. Oh yea, if you respond, call me Ed. She will be pissed if she thinks I am talking about her . I do need ideas for a beginner womens mountain bike.
    I tried to buy my wife a nice mid-priced full-suspension bike but she didn't want to spend the money. But a while later she fell in love with a Trek Navigator and just had to have it. That comfort/cruiser bike is fairly good for moderate trail biking as well -- I changed out the hunk of junk crank and put on an old but good mountain bike crank with the teeth ground off of the outer ring to make a bash ring (cuts down on the leg scars.). Also look at the Haro Heartland.

If your wife is like my wife, you can't tell her what to do, what she wants, or what she likes. So you'll probably just have to go to a bike store and let her pick out what she wants. Remember that women don't just go out and buy something, they have to shop, shop, shop, and get a deal. So you'll probably be spending a lot of time hanging out in bike shops instead of going Ballroom Dancing or whatever.

What's wrong with riding a nice full-suspension bike on city streets and trails? She'll be way more comfortable and will probably ride lots more.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    I have no advice. My wife has more bikes than I do and rides more than I do.......which is kinda scary.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave
    If your wife is like my wife, you can't tell her what to do, what she wants, or what she likes. So you'll probably just have to go to a bike store and let her pick out what she wants. Remember that women don't just go out and buy something, they have to shop, shop, shop, and get a deal. So you'll probably be spending a lot of time hanging out in bike shops instead of going Ballroom Dancing or whatever.
    i'm going to respectfully disagree with Dave on this. If you know more about what your wife wants than she does, pick it out and give it to her, or she will go into analysis paralysis, and her frustration will manifest itself as anger that you are forcing her into something while pretending to give a crap about her opinion. She will inevitably pick out something that is the bike for now, not the bike she wants to ride in 6 months, and it will be the most expensive bike in the store. its much better to just ignore her opinion once and deal with the static, before long she will be liking the new toy. Don't get in over your head with $$, and you wont go too far wrong. I'm assuming she knows nothing about bikes, based on your earlier post.

mtbr member
    I bought my girlfriend a cheap, used Trek hardtail off Craigslist for $75 and tossed some used but better components on it, and we started riding. She liked riding the Bunny loop at Fantasy Island enough that I invested in a nice used Cannondale Jekyll for her (better than MY fs bike). We've ridden together a few times, but she had a couple bad (ie... scary near-falls) after a mutual friend of ours convinced her a Sedona trail was "totally beginner friendly" which it wasn't. (I hadn't been on it, either).

So now the bike has been hanging in the garage for 6-months. She still likes to ride and wants to ride but it won't happen now that the temps are getting hot here. If we do, it will be at FI but I'm honestly okay with that. She's not going to be a hardcore biker.

My advice: Don't ever push her beyond her comfort level. Let HER decide when she wants to push it. Even if it seems like something that is absolute cake to you, just nod and say "then walk it, sweetie!" I also always ride behind her and let her set the pace, and call out upcoming potential sketchy areas.
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

mtbr member

I got a bike for my wife

best trade I ever made.....

(I'm surprised nobody has yet made that lame joke)

I gave my wife a low end trek unsuspended hardtail in, like, 1993. She has always been athletic, running and swimming, and had a cheapy schwinn road bike, but not a mountain bike. She rode it until she wanted to upgrade, about three years later, and bought a nice steel hardtail with a Judy fork, which was the sh1t in '96. She rode and raced that bike for about five years and then upgraded to a SC Superlight, which she has been on for 8 years or so. She loves it, but it is pretty much worn out.

My point is, get her something quality, but cheap and not necessarily high zoot, so she can "test the water". That way, she can upgrade on her own terms. Encourage her by riding with her, but not taking her on really gnarly stuff.

Don't believe the Hype...
    Get her a MonoCog, Haro Mary or Raleigh 29er and just take her on easy stuff like Papago the first several times. My wife has the Raleigh and loves it. If she doesn't like taking it in the dirt you can just throw i a little rear cog on the back and she'll have a nice quality cruzer...Or sell sell it and only be out a couple hundo..
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Meatbomb
    spend your money on crack and hookers instead.

rip the line
    Jun 2006
    Get her a vibrating saddle. She'll want to go riding all the time. The bumpier, the better.
    "I tried to live always free and above board like you" Cool Hand Luke

mtbr member
    "pardon moi, but there seems to be a bit of the wrong attitude here with the whole "wife wants to ride" thing. i kind'a feel sorry for her."

I'll echo that sentiment. You have her failing before she even has a chance to throw a leg over the POS hardtail you're going to pick out. Rent, borrow or buy a decent used working full suspension bike; one that you would enjoy riding in your size on our rocky AZ trails. Then hook her up with supportive riders (not you) such as http://teamlunachix.com/phoenix_mountain_bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    i'm going to respectfully disagree with Dave on this. If you know more about what your wife wants than she does, pick it out and give it to her, or she will go into analysis paralysis, and her frustration will manifest itself as anger that you are forcing her into something while pretending to give a crap about her opinion. She will inevitably pick out something that is the bike for now, not the bike she wants to ride in 6 months, and it will be the most expensive bike in the store. its much better to just ignore her opinion once and deal with the static, before long she will be liking the new toy. Don't get in over your head with $$, and you wont go too far wrong. I'm assuming she knows nothing about bikes, based on your earlier post.
    The OP could just do what my brother, the Psycho Rider, unintentionally did. He found a great deal on a better full-suspension bike than his own, intending to hand his old bike down to his wife. The new bike fit her better than his old one, so he ended up keeping his old bike and giving her the new one. That worked for him because they are both about the same height and she knew that he wasn't trying to pass something off that is inferior.

The Specialized Myka FSR looks like a good mid-priced full-suspension bike that wouldn't cost too much.

A Huckin' Hypocrite

New rider

I know a couple guys who WISH they had a significant other who would show a little interest in riding and of course others who wouldn't want theirs around... I'm currently lucky enough to be in the middle of getting my wife riding. We did the Sedona rental for her first ride and she showed me that she was stronger and less fearful than I had given her credit for. She hasn't crashed yet so she's pretty brave... scares me is more like it. I kind of agreee with getting a good quality hardtail as opposed to a crappy full suspension but I know I wouldn't have gotten nearly as hooked on my first ride if I was riding a hardtail. My solution for her was to get a used, slightly older but excellent quality(Foes) full suspension bike for reasonable money. I was able to get it powdercoated to a color of her liking and we got clothing and helmet that appealed to her sense of style. I think that goes along way to helping her enjoy it. I know she hasn't got the full bug yet and a lot of what she does is just doing it to spend time with me but I gotta say I love it. She might not ever join me on the real hairy stuff that I enjoy but marriage is all about compromise anyway right?
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
    Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

banned
    My wife has been riding the same bike since 2003 and has been on my case about getting her a new bike. I told her her old bike was just fine. She is pretty stubborn and went out without my OK and brought this home last week.

TD

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    bring my GF on the trail? Why do I turn my phone off before I go ride?
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    went out without my OK and brought this home last week.
    good for her and shame on you... no wonder I am still single and can't find a decent man out there on the trail. This thread suggests that there are none to be found

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    good for her and shame on you... no wonder I am still single and can't find a decent man out there on the trail. This thread suggests that there are none to be found
    I had similar thoughts when I read this thread yesterday...

bobo

mtbr member
    Buy her whatever she wants. If she only rides it once, then so be it. You can sell it. I'm sure you've probably spent money on something in the past and only used it a couple of times.....we all have. Last year my wife wanted (needed) a new road bike, so I bought her a Cervelo R3. Could have gotten her something cheaper, but that's what she wanted, and she rides the crap out of it. It's a small price to pay to make your wife happy and possible give you guys something fun to do together. Mtb'ing with my wife is one of my favorite things. She's my favorite riding partner, and she can usually out ride me any day of the week.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN
    I had similar thoughts when I read this thread yesterday...

bobo
    me three!! talk about some raunchy, chauvinistic mindsets!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My wife and I are sitting here laughing. Some people need to chill out. Life is short, have some fun! We just wanted some ideas for a bike. The passion about this post is misdirected. Thanks to all of you who gave ideas. Now, my wife and I are going to chill out and spend a weekend in the mountains. See ya.

banned
    Durt:

Fortunately we ride the same size bike so I can sneek it out when she isn't riding it.

TD

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I started shopping for a new bike about 2 months ago, and I took my wife with me to a couple LBS. Then we came across a red and white Trek 4300, (its actually "pomegranate") she had to have it. I didn't get my bike till a week later, but managed to break my hand during that week. She got to ride hers once with me, and now both have been sitting for the last month. Hopefully I'll be able to ride soon, and I can get her interested again.

Meatbomb
    I was just joking about the crack and hookers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    oh my god I am SO GLAD I don't have a husband right now! I get to pick out my own bikes, skis, and other toys down to the details without having to deal with anyone else's overbearing opinions about what I need!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by creseis
    oh my god I am SO GLAD I don't have a husband right now! I get to pick out my own bikes, skis, and other toys down to the details without having to deal with anyone else's overbearing opinions about what I need!
    C:

You are a smart person, I will give you a tip as us guys get older we even get more overbearing with our opinions. Stick to you guns and don't fall into the marriage trap, you will most likely never be happy. If you ever have the need for companionship a nice pet is a much better way to go, you obviously already know this.

TD

Bandolero

bling for the lady

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Durt:
    Fortunately we ride the same size bike so I can sneek it out when she isn't riding it.
    Your wife wants the Push Industry service

Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

TucsonMTB

Check out TucsonMTB, rides several times a week.
    Christmas we have an event, The 8ish Days of Christmas, this year was it's second and there were rides over 22 days! Starts with a meteor shower ride on 12/13. Rides over the whole area. AZ Trail sections, Milagrosa, Sweetwater, 50 Year and much more
    We have 20+ trails near town, more as you travel. For hot summer, Mt Lemmon and Mt Graham escapes.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

DG! There are still some left. I found one but it did take a while!!

Tiff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    me three!! talk about some raunchy, chauvinistic mindsets!
    We can't all be Alan Alda. I yam what I yam.

Members who have read this thread: 0