Who's my competition this year?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Who's my competition this year?

Just tryin to see who im up against this year, beginner 13-14, i finished 4th overall last year, after they cleared up the timing issue (of course after the awards), so as long as someone else hasnt joined up, i have a chance at 1st.

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by SRacer
    Just tryin to see who im up against this year, beginner 13-14, i finished 4th overall last year, after they cleared up the timing issue (of course after the awards), so as long as someone else hasnt joined up, i have a chance at 1st.
    If you were 4th overall why haven't you moved to sport ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I might, i just have trouble with length, it may be the hardtail, i talked with my mom, she said she thinks i should stay in beginner, but it was up to me, ill talk to my dad tomorrow, we'll do a 2 hour national ride, im definitely considering it

Endurance Junkie
    4th over all you need to move up (rather be last place sport than first place beginner)
    Good luck!!

Tucson, AZ
    Stay with the hardtail and move up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i really do want to move up, but my dad is not convinced, when i kick his butt on national today maybe he'll change his mind.

i think im actually going to get a carbon FS frame from Fetish, the HT bounces around alot during descents

I am Walt
    If you're riding National, you shouldn't be in Beginner.

And don't get a Fetish.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    why not fetish? i ride one now, and i can get a good deal on the Addiction

I am Walt
    why not fetish? i ride one now, and i can get a good deal on the Addiction
    Shady company and questionable quality.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i havent had any problems, and since i ride for them, i get support at the races, and nothings broken on my hardtail yet framewise

I am Walt
    i havent had any problems, and since i ride for them, i get support at the races, and nothings broken on my hardtail yet framewise
    Just IMO...if it works for you, cool. My first SS was a Fetish Discipline.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thats actually what i have now, the SS is the Fixation. the sport races are around 20 miles right?

I am Walt
    thats actually what i have now, the SS is the Fixation. the sport races are around 20 miles right?
    I think my Discipline was an '04, which was before they changed its name to the Fixation for '05.

Not sure about the distance difference...
    Ride more; post less...

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Dealt with those two once before. Only person I would trust now was a part time wrench they had. I think he posts here now and then. Anyway I don't want this to get into another trashing of LBS threads. Just when I even see a mention of those two my blood boils.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Endurance Junkie
    The sport class does about 1 more lap per race.

Banana Split Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I've heard that Fetish orders frames from China and slaps Feitsh stickers on them. I also heard that the guys who race for Fetish break frames like crazy. But don't take what I say as gospel! A lot of bike frames are made overseas.
    Last edited by spanglin; 11-12-2007 at 06:18 PM.
    "I do not think. Therefore I might not be."

A plethora of pinatas
    You do not HAVE to move up to Sport or move up at all according to the MBAA rules. You can choose to move up to Beg 15-16 or Sport if you like.

From - http://www.mbaa.net/images/2008_docu...ce%20rules.pdf

--12.55) Junior men must move up to the next older age division whenever he has
    finished in the top (3) overall at the conclusion of the race series or has won the
    State Championship.
    EXAMPLE: A 13 year (racing age) old who finishes in the top 3 overall of the State
    Championship within the 13-14 age division must compete in the 15-16 Junior category
    for the next Series. ASSUMING THE CRITERIA OF 12.6 IS MET.
    --12.6) For upgrading purposes, classes must consist of the following quantity of
    competitors:

CLASS MEN WOMEN
    Juniors 10 5
    Seniors 10 5

In those classes that require a minimum of five competitors, only the top
    three finishers will be counted for upgrading purposes.

The sport class usually races around 2hrs, where beginner races are around 1hr. At the last DCB Dust Devil race at McDowell, the Sport class raced - Sport/Tech/Long, Sport/Tech, Sport/Tech/Long - 24 miles. If you feel that you are up for it, I say go for it!

As far as who you might be racing against in the 13-14 class locally? My guess would be, Kenny Polley, Jordan Lindberg, Garrett Chott, Jordan Yannow, Ian Dawson, Leo Schlinger, Zach Edwards and Brandon Christensen from the MBAA series last season. NOVA has been doing a lot to promote junior cycling (http://www.novayouthcycling.org/) and I bet there will be a lot more kids out there racing this year.

Fetish does have their bikes made overseas and so do may other bike manufacturers. Fetish does a lot to support local racing and riders. They are not a big national company like a Specialized, Trek or Giant, but they offer good products at a good price. Ride what works for you.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by mcoplea; 11-13-2007 at 09:53 AM.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i did national to the waterfall and back and felt pretty good about it, but my dad doesnt want me to go to sport, he wants me to place higher, but ill convince him

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    looks like im stuck in beginner this year again...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Category

It's ok to stay a beginer for another year, and it's also ok to move up part way through the season next year. i'd say if you really want to move up, your best bet is to blow away the competition in the first race to convince your parents your up to it. Everything else is just talk, but your result will speak for itself. Not that I'm saying you should sandbag, but it's only your results that will convince them.

mtbr member
    I know nothing about racing or the rules so my question may seem silly but is it possible to race in both classes? Provided you have not won in the lower class....

when I played volleyball tourneys we used to be able to do that provided we had not won in a lower division. No clue if MTB racing would be the same.

Ross

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dont think so, but McDowell hasnt been my favorite course, ive wrecked everytime, but ill definitely try, thanks for the advice

Members who have read this thread: 0