Who likes to build their custom bike via On-Line retailers vs the LBS- Mtbr.com
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Who likes to build their custom bike via On-Line retailers vs the LBS

After many bikes I've done this both ways and have had better results Buying the parts online and having an LBS build the bike. I did this with my IF Crown Jewel Road bike. This is not the thing for the Novice However I noticed if you want something special bike shops take forever and a day to hunt the parts up you want then you pay full retail and sales tax. You order the stuff online, many times no shipping, no tax and a Discount price. Then have an LBS put it together.

I really don't need a whole lot of LBS advice I thinking about building my own bikes and just having wheels built and more advanced operations that require expensive special tools and such.

Steel Freak
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

slower than you
    what a fascinating post.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    what a fascinating post.
    No Trolling here. I checked your profile work in a bike shop huh?
    Times are tough people need to look at their options and learn to be resourceful.
    If thats trolling I dont know what to tell ya.

SF

mtbr member
    im confused as to what the thread is about.

title says online purchasing VS. lbs

then in the thread its buy online & build at lbs.

i are confused
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

My other ride is your mom
    I think the eschewmentization (yeah....I just made that up) of punctuation by the OP may be contributing to the confusion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Understood about finding the best deal you can. I can understand if you were to shop online and build your own in your garage but I for one would feel uncomfortable to walk into a shop and say, hey guys, could you put this together for me, I purchased it all on-line.

Thing is, you can't buy certain brands on-line and commend those MFGs for supporting the LBS. Without them, where would you go to pick up that 29er tube Friday day night before your ride in the morning? I am just getting back into this, but I have always supported the LBS.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    that's louie armstrong that played the trumpet,,, i think he started out in the mos eisley cantina

on a more thread relevant note (a rare longhairmike occurance),,, i used to do all my own bike building and mechanics before i suddenly realized 15 years of bike technology had outpaced me... now i have to start over from the beginning

Quote Originally Posted by tom.a014 View Post
    I for one would feel uncomfortable to walk into a shop and say, hey guys, could you put this together for me, I purchased it all on-line.
    that's why you have a friend with big titties take your bike into the shop for you

Shovel Ready
    What's an on-line retailer. Chad at Red Barn bikes is a LBS out of Montana. His prices kick butt over most. Now the Boys at Landis (Phx) treat very well also. So I use both.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post

that's why you have a friend with big titties take your bike into the shop for you
    better yet, kill two birds with one stone...

Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope

I work on Cars for a living, I think its time to buy some specialized tools to put my bike together. The bike shop takes to long to get anything done. I've broke spokes on a wheel, come in on Sat and they need the wheel till wed.

It's not so much about the money, I'm having a frame built and want it to become my dream bike. I like most of the LBS in Phoenix, I will probably buy my GF's next bike complete but for this project I think it's time to wrench most of it my self. My LBS has a good wheel builder will probably go that way on the wheels.

Most bike shops want to sell what's in stock if it is not in stock then they got to find it.

I suppose my hobby of 15 yrs or a lifetime if you count my BMX years is getting to the point where I need to get more Bike tools. I love the LBS I just dont want them to be my crutch
    SF

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    that's louie that's why you have a friend with big titties take your bike into the shop for you
    lol.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    It's a little of both, Having wheels built by a wheel builder either at an LBS, or having Joe Young build me another set.

The Key words are Custom Bike. Not Production Bike. I was tired when I started this thread last night.

I also realize this is not a popular subject so sorry if I've wasted a thread on this subject
    SF

mtbr member
    Not many will say they are gunna buy online vs. an LBS. They get flamed for it.

However, it depends if you really do save by buying online. I saved $400 on my frame by buying online but bought various other parts locally and online. Had it built locally.
    Though if you bought or had a shop build it, they are probably gunna give you lifetime tuneups and discounts.

There are benefits to both. Weigh them out with what works best for you.

You worked to earn your money, do what you want.
    Last edited by PhxBenK; 09-26-2011 at 09:23 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I do purchase a fair amount online, but try to buy as much as I can in the LBS to still help support! Many common things will come from the LBS - but - once I start to get into some of the more odd/non stocked parts its just easier to order it online (last time I tried to order a Park Tool Mavic spoke wrench waited two weeks and found it hadn't even been ordered yet)

My latest build (a cyclocross bike) came from a mix of lightly used (wheels shifters cranks) and new (frame tires and derailleurs) - Frame and tires were bought new at a couple of LBS's - rest CL or eBay

I prefer the custom built bike myself - I've found I have my preferences for components and parts that work for me and my style of riding. Of the current horses in the stable, only one is a complete bike (the wifes mountain) wasn't a ground up frame build. The last two have been frame-ups including custom paint on the frames for that "personal" touch.

As far as tools go - I've been building a bit of a collection for a while, buying one or things every few weeks or months, and I've now amassed quite a collection. (For some reason I bought a bunch of Campy tools this weekend..... and I don't have anything Campy yet) I also tend to keep a decent set of spare parts on hand, so as far as things such as cables, housings, brake pads, cleats I've got enough to re-do a bike or two at any given time (I do not work in, or for a shop, and currently do not do any repair work for others) It does make it easy to be able to repair just about anything at home. The tools I don't have are the one for frame facing, frame straighting, etc (the really really expensive ones where my once in 5 years use doesn't justify the cost)
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxBenK View Post
    Not many will say they are gunna buy online vs. an LBS. They get flamed for it.

However, it depends if you really do save by buying online. I saved $400 on my frame by buying online but bought various other parts locally and online. Had it built locally.
    Though if you bought or had a shop build it, they are probably gunna give you lifetime tuneups and discounts.

There are benefits to both. Weight them out with what works best for you.

You worked to earn your money, do what you want.
    Won't be the last time I get flamed.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Is that why you are out at Dreamy Draw so much???

mtbr member
    I've always wondered (well not always, but recently) why local bike shops didn't pool together and place large stock orders to get the volume discount that online stores get. For instance, all the Phoenix LBS's place 1 order, shipped somewhere central, and get a discount, which is passed on to the consumers. Everyone sells the same stuff,for the most part, and everyone needs to make a profit. I'm an ex LBS employee (who really misses the deals), I currently get paid very little (glad to have a job,though), so my buys are online. I'd love to support the locals, and will, once the boss supports $$$ me.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Truth be told, most LBS are poorly managed. You tell some of these guys what you want and it's like they have ADD or something.

A shout out to REI in Phoenix, I dropped off a wheel with broken spokes on Sat and picked it up sunday and was able to ride it to work. Heck I'm considering having REI build my custom Bike.
    Now that would make a heck of a thread
    Custom bike built at REI Phoenix

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I try to support my LBS as much as possible. I have bought three new bikes and two used... all three new at an LBS. Most of my maintenance stuff comes from LBS (tires, stans, gloves, tubes, etc...) but if I am buying something big (Wheelset, fork etc... ) and I can get the same thing online for 40% less, I am buying online.

I would still say about 75% of my bike money goes to the LBS. Enough that I don't feel guilty at all when I make online purchases.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I've always wondered (well not always, but recently) why local bike shops didn't pool together and place large stock orders to get the volume discount that online stores get. .
    its not just the volume discount, its all the overhead of having to rent or buy a physical building, pay for all the associated utilities for said building, comply with all local regulations and ordinances, obtain and pay for all necessary permits, pay for security and insurance for the store, and insurance for liability in case a customer or employee gets hurt. staff that store with employees, and have limited store hours (only being open 8 hours a day is severely limiting yourself) and pulling in enough customers during those hours to actually turn a profit.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    its not just the volume discount, its all the overhead of having to rent or buy a physical building, pay for all the associated utilities for said building, comply with all local regulations and ordinances, obtain and pay for all necessary permits, pay for security and insurance for the store, and insurance for liability in case a customer or employee gets hurt. staff that store with employees, and have limited store hours (only being open 8 hours a day is severely limiting yourself) and pulling in enough customers during those hours to actually turn a profit.
    Yeah at REI you can get 29er tubes or Stans Sealant until 9pm on a week night. By the time I get off work most LBS are closed. REI, REI

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    online stores can make money while they sleep.. and somedays you just feel like packing up orders in your underwear...

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Freak View Post
    After many bikes I've done this both ways and have had better results Buying the parts online and having an LBS build the bike. I did this with my IF Crown Jewel Road bike. This is not the thing for the Novice However I noticed if you want something special bike shops take forever and a day to hunt the parts up you want then you pay full retail and sales tax. You order the stuff online, many times no shipping, no tax and a Discount price. Then have an LBS put it together.

I really don't need a whole lot of LBS advice I thinking about building my own bikes and just having wheels built and more advanced operations that require expensive special tools and such.

Steel Freak
    To answer your question if I was building up a custom bike I would buy the parts online but I would also build the bike myself. I would not buy parts online and bring it to a LBS to build. That being said I purchased my last bike at Rage Cycles.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I'd buy at my LBS. If you buy a bunch of stuff online and have an issue, you may have the fun of dealing with warranty stuff on your own. I know my LBS has taken a few days for some simple repairs, but they always have my back on warranty, and if it's not warranty they hook it up with a bro discount because I BUY BIKES AND PARTS FROM THEM. After working with the same people for years, I save headache and break even on cash by buying through them vs buying online, paying shipping/handling charges and then hoping that the order was right.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

parenting for gnarness
    good shops recognize the value-add they still provide, and use that as a selling point. If 15-20% isnt worth advice, immediate help, warranty help, and some parts on stock then that is your decision. Penny-wise and pound-foolish.

I bought my last frame and partial kit from Rage cause they gave me a good deal and I knew I would get excellent service, and I want to support my LBS. It was the 5th bike i've bought from them, and most of them they have helped me work on some customizations. I had over half the parts already, ordered a few that they did not stock or that we all agreed I could get a better price online, bought some things from them, and paid them for the labor. I have a good relationship with the shop and made sure that everyone would be happy with that course of action. Win-win for all. Great shop with great staff who are more than happy to work with you. Any complex service is premised on relationships, to think otherwise...you should stick to online shopping and get what you pay for. I don't understand why people overthink it?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Local Shop Only! I broke a spoke in my front wheel out at BCT Saturday. I took the wheel to my LBS yesterday at noon and I'm going to pick it up today at noon. New spoke, new Stan's tape, and new Stan's sealant. 24hr turn around seems reasonable to me.

mtbr member
    Bringing a box of online-purchased parts in for your LBS to build into a bike is poor form and likely saves you no money in the end. Most bike shops will work with you on price for big ticket times - espcially if you are building an entire bike from parts.

I do all of my own wrenching and own an almost complete set of tools so I buy most of my parts online and install myself to avoid the hassles, ordering mistakes, and hit or miss customer service at most of the bike shops near my house. I don't feel bad or guilty about this at all - I'm not using their service so I don't pay the inflated prices. I'm not buying a $600 Trek or Specialized and I don't care for the good ol' boy pricing model so what's the point?

If I do go to a bike shop I'll usually go to The Garage in Guadalupe, the owner/mechanic is consistently friendly, has an amazing amount of random parts (new and used) on hand and will promptly order anything in the QBP or KHS dealer catalogs for very reasonable prices. I don't know why more shops don't do this - a parts counter/warehouse type of bike shop, similar to an AutoZone or Grainger, would be a niche but in a big city like Phoenix it could do very well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Local Shop Only! I broke a spoke in my front wheel out at BCT Saturday. I took the wheel to my LBS yesterday at noon and I'm going to pick it up today at noon. New spoke, new Stan's tape, and new Stan's sealant. 24hr turn around seems reasonable to me.
    This is the same experience that I get at my LBS. I broke a spoke on a group ride that met at the shop. I left it at the shop at 7pm and the next morning at 10am I got a call from them politely asking me to get my bike the hell out of there. New spoke, nipple, Stans, and labor for not much more than a 6 pack.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I buy from both. As others have stated support your local shop whenever possible. I think a lot of how your treated at a local shop has to do with how you treat them. If you go in with an attitude most times your going to get attitude back. I use Landis 7th ave whenever possible. Tim has always treated me w the like Family.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

This is my vote for best reply

Quote Originally Posted by azmtbkr81 View Post
    Bringing a box of online-purchased parts in for your LBS to build into a bike is poor form and likely saves you no money in the end. Most bike shops will work with you on price for big ticket times - espcially if you are building an entire bike from parts.

I do all of my own wrenching and own an almost complete set of tools so I buy most of my parts online and install myself to avoid the hassles, ordering mistakes, and hit or miss customer service at most of the bike shops near my house. I don't feel bad or guilty about this at all - I'm not using their service so I don't pay the inflated prices. I'm not buying a $600 Trek or Specialized and I don't care for the good ol' boy pricing model so what's the point?

If I do go to a bike shop I'll usually go to The Garage in Guadalupe, the owner/mechanic is consistently friendly, has an amazing amount of random parts (new and used) on hand and will promptly order anything in the QBP or KHS dealer catalogs for very reasonable prices. I don't know why more shops don't do this - a parts counter/warehouse type of bike shop, similar to an AutoZone or Grainger, would be a niche but in a big city like Phoenix it could do very well.
    I need more bike tools. Also keep in mind that these days component manufactures have tech manuals online free to down load with detailed instructions even tell you what special tools are needed to install, remove or service the part. Chris King even has videos online. I might have my frame guy install the head set and bottom bracket as this requires expensive tools to face and chase the BB and press in the head set. Have a good wheel builder build the wheels and install the rest my self. Setting the chain line (with a Chris King SS rear hub, and cutting and then bleeding the brakes would probably be the most technical part of the job.
    SF

mtbr member
    You shouldn't have too much trouble figuring it out if you turn a wrench for a living. Even a novice can adjust a derailuer so that it shifts passibly well or cut cable housing so that it fits the frame. It's the little things like knowing how to properly grind down the ends of the housing or dialing in shifting to make it seem effortless that takes time to perfect.

I'll make you a deal - I'll wrench on your bike if you wrench on my truck

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by azmtbkr81 View Post
    You shouldn't have too much trouble figuring it out if you turn a wrench for a living. Even a novice can adjust a derailuer so that it shifts passibly well or cut cable housing so that it fits the frame. It's the little things like knowing how to properly grind down the ends of the housing or dialing in shifting to make it seem effortless that takes time to perfect.

I'll make you a deal - I'll wrench on your bike if you wrench on my truck
    No Shifting on a SIngle speed, just setting up chainline. Perfect first bike to build. Actually my first build was a Beach Cruiser I put together when I was 12.

16 yrs of Pro Wrenching (all in dealerships bumper to bumper) years of RC cars Id say I should build my own bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who likes to build their custom bike via On-Line retailers vs the LBS-10042010073.jpg  

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Not a Mountain Bike but

Here is a Bike I bought mostly on-line Except for the frame. The Dealer who sold me the frame IF wouldent sell it to me. Joe Young in Texas built the wheels, Then I took the Box to a Bike shop, had had it assembled. Cost me $70 labor back in 2000. This bike it still going strong today. I will probably have this bike for the rest of my life and the 853 tubing has inspired me to call my self
    Steel Freak
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who likes to build their custom bike via On-Line retailers vs the LBS-crown-jewel-rt.jpg