White Tanks Comp Course direction- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    191

    White Tanks Comp Course direction

    With the Dust Devil race coming up and it running in reverse. Anyone know if the course has been reversed leading up to the race to allow for pre-running?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cstem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,851
    I just checked the Park site and no mention of that- here is thier number 623-935-2505
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4
    i was on it this morning. it is going the normal direction. however a few people decided to do it in reverse anyway. i didnt have any close calls, but it still didnt make it ok.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tsefreeflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    470
    I Could'nt imagine how I would feel if some jackass was flying down the switch backs in reverse while I was busting my arse climing them lol! Not much room on there for that to turn out well.
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hammer Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    19
    We were out there Sat morning (Oct 15). The lady at the front gate warned us that riders were going in the reverse direction, and someone posted a sign at the start indicating riders were going in reverse. We caved and rode in reverse direction too.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4
    posting a hand written sign doesnt make it right. I didnt even see the sign until my second lap. i'm guessing they are running the race in reverse to try and level the field. somebody who is trying to get an unfair edge causes me to go down.... we would have problems.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tsefreeflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    470
    As long as there are signs up and the front gate warns everyone, I dont see a problem with it as long as everyone is going in reverse. Doing it in reverse would be pretty cool actually, I'ds like to try it!
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4
    front gate warning there are reports of some people riding it in reverse, not we are going in reverse today. while i was there it was 70% riding normal direction 30% reverse. If it was everyone in reverse it would have been fun.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tsefreeflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    470
    How the hell would one get up that one drop there is? It's like a one foot or 2 but I wonder if I could get up it without walking it? Kind of surprised they would have that as the race since that seems pretty extreme for an xc race!
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    66
    Anybody know the approximate elevation gain per lap of the blue track (see course map at top)?

    Nevermind, I found a segment for each lap on Strava. Looks like it is 500 feet elevation gain per lap.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fattirebliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    253
    No need to worry about it, the race is cancelled....

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tsefreeflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by cilantro13 View Post
    Anybody know the approximate elevation gain per lap of the blue track (see course map at top)?

    Nevermind, I found a segment for each lap on Strava. Looks like it is 500 feet elevation gain per lap.
    Yeah one lap around the comp loops at white tanks will yield a bit over 500ft climbs, but it is over 7 miles. Compare that to Sonoran at about 1500-1600ft climb in 10.4 miles. Even BCT has just under 1000ft climb just going 3.68 miles in and returning. For some reason WT's are still a buster for me but those other trails really help that ride. WT is a great trail though, I love it, but only ride it on weeknights after work. Too bad the race is cancelled, do we know why?
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fattirebliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    253
    I guess not enough entries, it seems though a lot of people do day of registration. Bummer...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    66
    Well, that sucks. Missed the first one due to a funeral, and now this... sigh.

    This is the price you pay from allowing same day registration.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BCTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,168
    I was going to sign up today - how sad.

  16. #16
    Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Reputation: TacoBeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    866
    Where does it state the race is canceled? I looked all over the dcbaventures.com and don't see anything stating it's canceled.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

    E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BCTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,168
    They posted this on their Facebook page:

    Due to the very low registration numbers for this weekends event, we will be canceling the event.

    We have made an attempt to grow this series/event over the last several years and have come to realize that no matter how much you spend in advertising, it's not going to grow. McDowell usually has fantastic numbers and we also saw a significant decrease in participation. I know this saddens many of ...you who count on the income from events like these, but please understand that I can no longer afford to continue this event series.

    Please cancel any plans you had with this event, we will be refunding the 19 entries and sending out a nice little note tomorrow.

    Please help us continue to get the word out regarding our December 3 event at McDowell Mountain Regional Park.

    Respectfully,

    David Benjes
    DCB Extreme Adventures, Inc.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fattirebliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    253
    Earlier today it said it on their website. Now, the race is completely off the event page. They posted it on their Facebook today, also.

  19. #19
    Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Reputation: TacoBeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    866
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazelem View Post
    They posted this on their Facebook page:

    Due to the very low registration numbers for this weekends event, we will be canceling the event.

    We have made an attempt to grow this series/event over the last several years and have come to realize that no matter how much you spend in advertising, it's not going to grow. McDowell usually has fantastic numbers and we also saw a significant decrease in participation. I know this saddens many of ...you who count on the income from events like these, but please understand that I can no longer afford to continue this event series.

    Please cancel any plans you had with this event, we will be refunding the 19 entries and sending out a nice little note tomorrow.

    Please help us continue to get the word out regarding our December 3 event at McDowell Mountain Regional Park.

    Respectfully,

    David Benjes
    DCB Extreme Adventures, Inc.


    Well that's a shame but he should have posted it on his website, not everyone does the facebook or other stuff like that. I usually sign up day of race.
    I forgot about the Prescott Sixer and didn't sign up in time so I'm out of that one too since the fee increased now.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

    E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

  20. #20
    DLd
    DLd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,585
    It really would have been nice for them to post it on their website. I don't facebook so it was a bummer to drive up there that morning from Tucson, and there's no one there... I even checked their website that morning, and not a single thing about the race being cancelled, it just wasn't there, I figured they had just removed it early. Apparently I wasted the previous Saturday driving up there to pre-ride also. What good is having a website if you don't post the important information regarding the races on it? Now I have to worry about if I want to bother making plans for Prescott, as I'd not only be paying for gas, but also a hotel, while possibly just finding out at the last minute that they decided to cancel the race. And no, I didn't pre-register, so I guess I'm part of the problem, but they're the ones who allow race day registration with no late fee which sort of encourages same day registration... What to do.

    I did some laps anyway so it wouldn't be a complete loss, but it was definitely a disappointment.

    Obviously, I didn't find this thread till after the (cancelled) race, while trying to look for an explanation of why it was suddenly cancelled without notice.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BCTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    It really would have been nice for them to post it on their website. I don't facebook so it was a bummer to drive up there that morning from Tucson, and there's no one there... I even checked their website that morning, and not a single thing about the race being cancelled, it just wasn't there, I figured they had just removed it early. Apparently I wasted the previous Saturday driving up there to pre-ride also. What good is having a website if you don't post the important information regarding the races on it? Now I have to worry about if I want to bother making plans for Prescott, as I'd not only be paying for gas, but also a hotel, while possibly just finding out at the last minute that they decided to cancel the race. And no, I didn't pre-register, so I guess I'm part of the problem, but they're the ones who allow race day registration with no late fee which sort of encourages same day registration... What to do.

    I did some laps anyway so it wouldn't be a complete loss, but it was definitely a disappointment.

    Obviously, I didn't find this thread till after the (cancelled) race, while trying to look for an explanation of why it was suddenly cancelled without notice.

    Ouch!

Similar Threads

  1. White Tanks Comp Loop night Riding
    By tsefreeflow in forum Arizona
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 10:13 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 10:55 AM
  3. White Tanks
    By Hose Dragger in forum Arizona
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 04:21 PM
  4. Where to eat after the White Tanks?
    By YuriB in forum Arizona
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 09:50 AM
  5. White Tanks
    By bugaroo in forum Arizona
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 10:19 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.