White mtn weather- Mtbr.com
    In the rear with the beer

White mtn weather

Yo, so I checked the weather for saturday in ShowLow, small chance of rain, no too big a deal....but 20-25mph winds! Given we'll be more in the forest, but a 25mph headwind could be kinda brutal if it hits at about mile 50....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Dust biter
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, wind in the mountains in October, reminds me of my NAU days. Last year it was howling all Friday night and Saturday until about sunset. Calmed just in time for the campfire, not in time for the riding. Maybe it will be a tailwind the whole time

Tucson, AZ
    Last year was cold and windy for the first few hours...I'd expect the same this year.

parenting for gnarness

This is completely my fault!!!

Sunday afternoon I sent an email to a few folks discussing logistics, saying "the weather forecast looks great!" when I hit send, a little bit of jinx-doubt crept into my mind...at the time i thought it was worry over Brian Westbrook's ankle.

my apologies to the entire mtb community.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Tucson, AZ

No need to apologize!

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    I welcome the cold, wet, windy weather...better than this damn 90-degrees that I continue to bike in.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    I welcome the cold, wet, windy weather...better than this damn 90-degrees that I continue to bike in.
    are you channeling ionsmuse or something?

the only good thing about this weather is the opportunity to spoon with CactusJoe, i'm still wet and cold from the Crazy88.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Fragile - must be Italian
    Last year was cold and windy for the first few hours...I'd expect the same this year.
    First few hours? Jeezus...it was HOWLING all day last year. I recall the winds being 40+ mph gusts. The trees provided a bit of shelter, but there were a few jeep roads where we had to ride dead-on into that sh!t.

I'll never forget that drive up from Phoenix. I literally had my steering wheel turned 90 degrees into the wind just to keep the truck straight...and when the wind would stop gusting, I'd struggle to reorient the wheel in time to keep from driving off the shoulder or crossing the double-line. Pretty nerve wrecking.

Last year was something I never want to repeat. After 2 broken spokes (both wheels treaked), losing both brakes (total hydraulic failure), losing my GPS on an endo when my feet couldn't stop the bike in time, and getting lost in the forest for 2+ hours, the wind was the least of my concerns.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

grrrrrr

Do I still have time to switch to the 8 miler fun ride!

Tiff

Tucson, AZ
    Crazy88.
    Now that was a cold, wet, and muddy race that I do not wish to repeat. Frankly, I just want my rides to be a little cooler during the weekday. I still cannot believe it is in the 90s.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    getting lost in the forest for 2+ hours, the wind was the least of my concerns.
    At least you got back last year. I remember hanging around the finish line last year as people were calling friends to say they were completely lost. It started to get dark when the final group got back.

I think I got lost about 8-10 times, losing a total of 2 hours also. Doug, did you hang around last year on Saturday night for the bonfire and finish-the-beer fest?

I am testing a Siren during the 60-miler!

mtbr member
    Sunday afternoon I sent an email to a few folks discussing logistics, saying "the weather forecast looks great!" when I hit send, a little bit of jinx-doubt crept into my mind...at the time i thought it was worry over Brian Westbrook's ankle.

Um, you guys don't know how lucky you are. I was kinda, sorta considering doing this about a month ago. If I had actually signed up, we likely would be expecting snow this weekend. You're welcome.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

I am testing a Siren during the 60-miler!

SWEET, which one are ya test riding? I just got my frame today, so my 1st ride will be at TOWM. Should be a fun day!

Tiff

livin' the dream......
    Looking forward to a great time, see ya'll up there!

Fragile - must be Italian
    At least you got back last year. I remember hanging around the finish line last year as people were calling friends to say they were completely lost. It started to get dark when the final group got back.
    Actually I never did get back. I was one of those who called in to say I was lost and had no idea where I was. Thankfully when I got lost I had cell coverage. My GPS broke off the bike so I couldn't even give GPS coordinates. I was pretty freaked out to say the least...especially since every direction I rode seemed to make me even more lost.

So I never finished the race (my first DNF ever). After searching and searching I found a trail...which took me back to where I had ridden many hours before (somehow I back-tracked and ended up the back of the lollipop section of trail). The woman at the checkpoint had packed up and was just leaving in her car when I signaled her down and she drove me back. Even with a car ride, I think I got back after 5PM.

And after that mess, I was in no mood to stay and hang out. My wife was emotionally exhausted from learning I was lost and wanted to go home.

This year will be better. It has to be.

Thx...Doug

Plus size jersey model
    Its saying 50% chance of rain now for Sat & Sun.
    http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ekday=Saturday

wrecking crew
    Yeah, it keeps changing for the worst. They even said possibility of snow for the higher elevations. Bring your rain gear and arm warmers...
    ~~~

Tucson, AZ
    Uh oh... I'd like to retract my earlier statement about wanting cold and windy weather. The idea of riding on forest roads again is not very tempting. Hmmmmm..... anybody bailing out already?

slow uphill
    I'm not bailing - just trying to see how I'm going to get out of work in the next few mins.

Members who have read this thread: 0