Thread: White Mesa NM

How much further ???

White Mesa NM

I was in Albuquerque last weekend visiting family and was able to pack the bike in the family grocery getter. My brother-in-law suggested we take a ride on the White Mesa Trail system about 45 min away. I was a little reserved about the ride because I heard it wasnt technical at all but Im always up for trying out a new trail. Boy was I glad I did. I can honestly say Ive never ridden a trail remotely close to this trail. It truely felt like I was on another planet and the comment that it feels like you are riding on the moon is 100% correct. White gypsum trails riding along the top of several ridges makes you feel like you are riding the spine of an gigantic dinosaur. The trails literally ride over bubbling springs with strange white and orange mineral deposits. Large sink holes and fractures add to the mysterious and odd feeling of the area. If anyone ever gets a chance to ride White Mesa I highly recommend it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Mesa NM-0423111034a_1.jpg  

White Mesa NM-0423111034_2.jpg  

White Mesa NM-0423111042_3.jpg  

White Mesa NM-0423111141_4.jpg  

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I love that other wordly feeling you can get in some places, which always seems to require desert-y terrain. The Dells did it for me a few weeks ago. That ridge shot with the rider really reminds me of the chutes on 50 Year, down in Tucson. Now if gravity could only the 1/3 of what it is on earth, we could really tear up terrain like that! Nice shots.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    White Mesa....I miss that place. The first time I ride it was well before it became official. (2002-2003??) I'd just meet a guy on Photography review, and he said I know a unique place to MTB that not many people know about. I was game to explore. When he made the turn off on the a dirt road thru Res land I got a little nervous. when he drove and drove and drove, a little more nervous. when he pulled off and said we'll just hop the fence here and scramble over that ridge...(there was not parking lot back then).....I though he was crazy.

then I saw the place. imagine the trail only 4 inches wide. and you had to swing out over the cliff to get around a fence along the knife edge back then.

super fun, thanks for the memories.

Now, if you're ever asked.....THERE ARE NO TRAILS IN NEW MEXICO
    b

Members who have read this thread: 1