mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Whistler Trip Questions

I am going up the aug 17-21 with my fiance who doesnt bike much. I was going to get her a lesson. At one time she could ride down most of Mormon trail but is probably afraid now that its been awhile since she did it.

I have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert, is this too much of a light weight?
    I dont plan catching major air, jumping racing dh, just want to ride the park. Would it be better to rent then take it up? Maybe the dh rentals are better suited for big drops and the parks terrain?

If I rent should I take my own shoes or just ride in regular sneakers?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There are a lot of trails that aren't in the park.. but yeah a FSR expert insn't enough bike for the best park experience.

Kathleen in AZ
    dude... you're bringing your fiance who doesn't bike much to the mecca of bike parks? Sure that's wise to do before you're hitched? She can still back out....

First, rent a DH bike. It will have flat pedals so leave the SPDs at home - sneakers work, Vans are better, 5.10s are best. Save the hassle of transporting that Stumpy and get a bike that's suited for the park. The Spec is not enough bike and you will be disappointed. Just last month I fought my "small" bike for 5 days and then got wise and rented a Rocky Mountain Flatline my last day. What a difference!!! Rent. Enjoy. Summit bikes has the Flatlines and gives a 10% discount if you order your rental on-line.. There's also a bunch of other shops. All are right there in the little village and easy to find.

A lesson with a rented bike for the gal would be good, but this is not a place for beginners. Hopefully she'll remember how to brake, shift, and is not scared of going fast down hills - pretty much nothing but hills at Whistler. Maybe even consider taking a class yourself... good fun when on the right bike and who knows, you might find yourself catching air on big drops and jumps! Plus, you might hook up with some folks to ride with at your level. There are also lots of other things to do at Whistler besides bike - horseback ride, kayak, zip lines, hike, peak-to-peak gondola, and TONS of shopping. I suggest that you get yourself a 3-day lift ticket then spend at least 2 days with the gal if you want her to remain your fiance.

have fun!

~~~~~~~~
    Monday and Wednesday evenings the bike park hosts Womens clinics, http://www.whistlerbike.com/camps-le...ghts/index.htm
    highly recommended, many full on beginners (and advanced riders too) have done this and loved it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    dude... you're bringing your fiance who doesn't bike much to the mecca of bike parks? Sure that's wise to do before you're hitched? She can still back out....

First, rent a DH bike. It will have flat pedals so leave the SPDs at home - sneakers work, Vans are better, 5.10s are best. Save the hassle of transporting that Stumpy and get a bike that's suited for the park. The Spec is not enough bike and you will be disappointed. Just last month I fought my "small" bike for 5 days and then got wise and rented a Rocky Mountain Flatline my last day. What a difference!!! Rent. Enjoy. Summit bikes has the Flatlines and gives a 10% discount if you order your rental on-line.. There's also a bunch of other shops. All are right there in the little village and easy to find.

A lesson with a rented bike for the gal would be good, but this is not a place for beginners. Hopefully she'll remember how to brake, shift, and is not scared of going fast down hills - pretty much nothing but hills at Whistler. Maybe even consider taking a class yourself... good fun when on the right bike and who knows, you might find yourself catching air on big drops and jumps! Plus, you might hook up with some folks to ride with at your level. There are also lots of other things to do at Whistler besides bike - horseback ride, kayak, zip lines, hike, peak-to-peak gondola, and TONS of shopping. I suggest that you get yourself a 3-day lift ticket then spend at least 2 days with the gal if you want her to remain your fiance.

have fun!

Thanks for the awesome advice!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Set4lfe
    I am going up the aug 17-21 with my fiance who doesnt bike much. I was going to get her a lesson. At one time she could ride down most of Mormon trail but is probably afraid now that its been awhile since she did it.

I have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert, is this too much of a light weight?
    I dont plan catching major air, jumping racing dh, just want to ride the park. Would it be better to rent then take it up? Maybe the dh rentals are better suited for big drops and the parks terrain?

If I rent should I take my own shoes or just ride in regular sneakers?
    I've done the ski-resort thing many times, on many different bikes. One thing that people usually fail to appreciate is that the trails are generally downhill. You get off the lift, and you're going downhill and picking up speed. The bumps get bigger, your brakes have to work harder, and so on. I'm not talking about the "downhill-bike" trails, I'm just talking about all the trails they'll have. You will pick up speed FAST, and having enough bike for this is a very nice thing to have. You don't need a downhill bike persay, but skinny handlebars, skinny tires, small brake rotors, steep headtube angles, and all sorts of things will cause control issues as you quickly pick up speed, even if it's not a super DH-chunk trail. Honestly to ride the park SOME kind of gravity bike is a good idea to have fun. Otherwise go ride trails that do not utlize a lift. Again, I'm not trying to make it sound like all the trails are super DH trails, but realize it's a ski-hill with downhill-direction trails, when they built the MTB trails they utilize the slope of the ski-hills and even an "easy" DH-direction trail can be pretty abusive.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    True all dat, rent and be happy. Traveling will be easier and in the long run you will probably save or spend the same amount anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I went last summer with my wife, we rented a bike for her and I would say the downhill bike was a bit to much for her. We stayed on some green and some blue trails and she would have been better of on something lighter. She is a beginner with some skill, but still learning. She had a great time. Whistler does a GREAT job of providing trails for all skill levels.

If you bring your bike it will limit what trails you will be comfortable with. There are trails that the bike will be fine on, but if you like the tougher stuff it is there. I would bring pedals and shoes, as I like clips better. Its a personal choice.

If you our a mountain bikes and have not gone to Whislter, your NEED to prioritize your life and get there.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by fish-vw
    I
    If you are a mountain biker and have not gone to Whislter, your NEED to prioritize your life and get there.
    Agreed... Whistler rocked my world and changed my life!

mtbr member
    DurtGurl's quote sums it up: "Whistler rocked my world and changed my life!"

Rent a DH bike. There are lots available: Kona Stinky, Specialized Demo, Rocky Mountain Flatline...

I became so comfortable with in the air at Whistler, I attempted the biggest gaps at the NRA pit.

I am gonna borrow your quote DurtGurl.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by lo-cat
    DurtGurl's quote sums it up: "Whistler rocked my world and changed my life!"

Rent a DH bike. There are lots available: Kona Stinky, Specialized Demo, Rocky Mountain Flatline...

I became so comfortable with in the air at Whistler, I attempted the biggest gaps at the NRA pit.

I am gonna borrow your quote DurtGurl.
    Go for it!

Yesterday afternoon I ordered up my own new DH bike. Details to follow end of next week in my other thread entitled "I need a DH bike..." Life will never be the same!

Pivotal figure
    The only downside to Whistler is that'll suffer from withdrawal symptoms once you get home
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Skied Whistler but only ridden farther east in BC. Check out a video of the Ewok Village. It's a beautiful, radical North Shore trail east of Vancouver but it's serious ramp tech riding that goes over a cabin that you can spend the night in, free. This is NOT a place for your fiance to ride, rather walk but the cabin sure looks cozy.
    Saw it on a 'Drop In' video. Canadian MTB TV series. I have some of the videos from it.
    Squamish, between Vancouver and Whistler is a MTB destination, too.
    agmtb

Members who have read this thread: 0