Whistler Trip- Mtbr.com

Thread: Whistler Trip

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Whistler Trip

A little review of my first time to Whistler

We stayed at the Pan Pacific Mountainside hotel. It is very clean, right next to the lift, and pretty affordable. Everything is with walking distance and we never used our rental car once there. We got our bikes from Summit Bikes right next to the hotel, it was easy to bring them back for the evening.

This was my first time on a downhill bike with no concept of what it would be like, but I ride a few times a month around here. I went with my fiance who rarely rides with me however she is very athletic. We got a half day private lesson and it really helped her out. I also learned how to control the bike and how its different then cross country. I told the instructor his main objective was to build my finance's confidence. He did a great job and we spent the rest of the day riding 'crank it up' the rest of the day.

Our second day we did the Zip Trek adventure, I pre-planned this so she was subjected to other fun things in case she hated the downhill park. We both found it fun but not as exciting as the bike park. The rest of the day we went riding again and went back to the 'crank it up' trail. I was surprised at how easy it is to catch air on the crank it up trail because before I left I was thinking I don't need to be doing that stuff but when I got there is was just natural. After she got tired and called it a day I rode by myself looking for something more advanced.

I ran into some guys from Montana. They took me on 'karate monkey', I think that's the name. It was right through the trees and over tons of roots and stumps with a few steep declines. I was giving it all I had to keep up with these guys who were really good. After that they took me to the very top and rode down mostly 'freight train' and 'no joke'. Maybe a few others. The guys were really cool and stopped me a few times to show me some advanced stuff that I tried. My favorite one was I think on 'No Joke' where you go into the trees and then over this pretty steep drop off over a huge rock, maybe 10 feet. Right before you hit it you need to clear this root so you need to pick up enough speed to clear it but if you have enough speed to do that, you can't really back out. I wish I had a video camera or stopped to get some pictures of me in this area because it was so much fun. I found this picture on flickr, its not me but I think its that area.

By the end of this ride, I was done, completely exhausted. The next morning I was so sore from not being used to this type of riding. We did some hiking in the morning and then biked for the rest of the day. I tried to find these guys I met the previous day but must have missed them so I hit the upper part of the mountain myself and rode over a lot of the stuff that I went around the first day because I wasn't sure of the trail.

Overall Whistler is in my top 10 and I can't wait to go back.

Pivotal figure
    Heck yeah! Karate Monkey is a fun section, did you get to do the trifecta? (Ninja Cougar/Karate Monkey/Samurai Pizza Cat). No Joke is one of my personal faves up there, as well as Freight Train. That place will definitely make you more comfortable with jumping. Crank It Up has some super long floaters
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I never hit all of Ninja Cougar/Karate Monkey/Samurai Pizza Cat, I need to go back. Another one I forgot was Upper Angry Pirate which was quite tight for me but lots of fun!

suvlako
    Just got back from Whistler a week ago. It too was my first trip. my wife and I had a blast!!! My personal fav was Freight train to Dirt merchant to A line. We can't wait to go back. Ihave a video but couldn't figure out how to load it. Any help would be great. Thanks!!

Pivotal figure
    Try signing up on vimeo.com. It's pretty easy and the quality is nicer than youtube.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Members who have read this thread: 0