mtbr member

Whiskey training ride to Crown King?

thinking about a training ride to CK and Horsethief basin. Anyone done this ride? Mileage and elevation gain? How about orv traffic?

OK or no?

My other ride is your mom
    I think Monkeybutt and Gangi did one last fall....or perhaps it was last spring. As for ORV...weekends will be worse, so if you can pull a weekday....gold!

mtbr member
    Back way or front side?

Meatbomb
    if you're going to ride up from I-17, orv traffic does not exist since it's a 22 mile long boring dirt road.If you're planning to ride up from the lake side you'll see some jeeps and orv traffic.

mtbr member
    I see what's going on here.....Mr. RobZona is trying to upstage me and MY training ride! Did I mention that MY ride will have free naked chicks (hot ones) ?
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Whoa, hot neked chicks for free on 4 peaks? Guess my CK ride with a bar waiting at the summit just got upstaged

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

BCC to CK

Quote Originally Posted by RobZona
    thinking about a training ride to CK and Horsethief basin. Anyone done this ride? Mileage and elevation gain? How about orv traffic?

OK or no?
    I've done this ride a handful of times. Never made it to Horsethief basin though. I think it is a good training ride and it's what I've done in the past to prep for a long race that had some good climbing in it.

We start at the end of Maggie Mine rd in BCC and itís about 65ish miles round trip. I'm not sure about the elevation gain though. I can see if I can get the GPX file over to you if you are interested in more exact stats.

As far as traffic, there's mainly quad and moto riders out on that road but on the weekends you will have cars going up too. They do kick up quite a bit of dust and so I usually wear a blinkey light and or bright jersey when I ride up because visibility can be poor with all of the dust. Otherwise, itís a fairly good route with little traffic. Oh and please be careful coming down! It can be tempting to cut the corners, but the road is windy, narrow and many blind corners so you don't want to collide with a car that is coming up.

Tiff

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The Old Mill definately wins out over the Butcher's Hook, although they used to have really good pancakes ...

Both sound like an interesting and equally painful proposition.

I had actually been thinking about trying the Bradshaw Trail or Yankee Doodle as a DH shuttle from CK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    I've done this ride a handful of times. Never made it to Horsethief basin though. I think it is a good training ride and it's what I've done in the past to prep for a long race that had some good climbing in it.

We start at the end of Maggie Mine rd in BCC and itís about 65ish miles round trip. I'm not sure about the elevation gain though. I can see if I can get the GPX file over to you if you are interested in more exact stats.

As far as traffic, there's mainly quad and moto riders out on that road but on the weekends you will have cars going up too. They do kick up quite a bit of dust and so I usually wear a blinkey light and or bright jersey when I ride up because visibility can be poor with all of the dust. Otherwise, itís a fairly good route with little traffic. Oh and please be careful coming down! It can be tempting to cut the corners, but the road is windy, narrow and many blind corners so you don't want to collide with a car that is coming up.

Tiff
    Thanks Tiff, that is what I was thinking. Start @ Maggine Mine or Bubble Bee, just make it a long training ride up the dirt road, maybe to Horesthief and return on road or hop on BCT. Long and boring grind up to KC, but that ok, since WOR has a lot of that.
    Can you post a GPX file? Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona
    Thanks Tiff, that is what I was thinking. Start @ Maggine Mine or Bubble Bee, just make it a long training ride up the dirt road, maybe to Horesthief and return on road or hop on BCT. Long and boring grind up to KC, but that ok, since WOR has a lot of that.
    Can you post a GPX file? Thanks
    Here's the GPX file

Tiff
    Attached Files Attached Files

Saucy Size
    Ohhhh...I see! Cool that BCT hooks into those roads finally. Man it's been too long.

The ride up from the lake is substantially steeper and I think longer. It's 35ish miles one way from the north shore all the way into CK directly, and if you wanted to take a side trip over to the basin that'd add, I don't know, +12 miles for the round trip? So you're look at more than 80 miles for the whole shebang I think. Long day.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Tucson, AZ
    I can get you up there the via the crazy, backway using some of the steepest fire roads I have ever ridden....interested in that kind of training?

Did it doing a 3-day bikepacking from southern BCT.

mtbr member
    Someone the other day had mentioned that the Crown King road from Lake Pleasant all the way to Crown King was graded. I thought the state way broke, and why would they do that?

Saucy Size
    I find it highly unlikely they'd grade the Old Senator Highway. It's a major 4x4 destination.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The top part has been heavily graded .....
    You need a Thneed

Saucy Size
    Kyron: You talking about the road out of Prescott? OSH peels off from that maybe 4 miles out of town. Can't imagine they could even get grading equipment onto that road at all.

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I think Monkeybutt and Gangi did one last fall....or perhaps it was last spring. As for ORV...weekends will be worse, so if you can pull a weekday....gold!
    Oh yeah...The BACKSIDE CK thread...that was last spring. Monkeybutt & gangi had fun on that one...from Lake Pleasant to CK is definitely not paved/graded until you get up top just outside of town.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ght=Crown+King

The frontside is just a boring ass climb and not difficult at all. If going on a weekend, prepare for some dusting by cars/ohvs. Weekdays, the traffic is light.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Kyron: You talking about the road out of Prescott? OSH peels off from that maybe 4 miles out of town. Can't imagine they could even get grading equipment onto that road at all.

No, the way from lake Pleasnt, abit past Orabell (big shot up water tank on the side of the road) the road has been graded.

Its not like they paved it or anything like that.....
    You need a Thneed

Members who have read this thread: 0