mtbr member

Whiskey training ride on 4 Peaks this Sunday

A group of us are getting together Sunday morning to do a training ride on 4 Peaks at about 8:30 AM. We are going to meet at the first big parking area on the right, about 3/4 of a mile up 4 Peaks road off the Beeline. For those unfamiliar it is an out and back that is all fire road. Some of us are going over to Roosavelt Lake and back, Just over 50 miles with about 7500' of climbing and some of us are just going to the top, about 35 miles with 5500' of climbing.

You can ride as far or as short as you want and afterwords we are going to have some post ride potluck action going on so feel free to join and bring some beverage, chairs and food for after.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    I'm going to try and make this. I've got a silver avalanche and a black spec. stumpy. How many riders do you have lined up?

Meatbomb
    holy crap... i get worn out doing the pumpkin center turn around on my dirt bike... could not fathom that ride.

mtbr member
    I think there's about 8 of us so far. I'll be in a white toyota tacoma. The wife and I have matching Specialized 29ers cause were cute like that. Hope you can make it!

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    I'll join if I don't kill myself Saturday at Prescott.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    mtbkracr-

Do you cache water for the up and over to 188 and back ride? I think I'm doing this ride tomorrow and want to make sure I have enough H2O.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle
    mtbkracr-

Do you cache water for the up and over to 188 and back ride? I think I'm doing this ride tomorrow and want to make sure I have enough H2O.

Thanks.
    I didn't cache any water but I did take 2 big bottles and a camelback and that seemed to be enough water for me ( I took about 4.5 hours) and that was on a day that was a little warmer than it has been this week. If you start in the morning well hydrated you should be fine but just pay attention to your water because once you drop down to the lake side you have to ride all the way to punkin center or the campgrounds to refill.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    mtbkracr thank you for the info.

One more ?. What is the effort climbing up the back side as opposed to this side?

mtbr member
    3400ish feet in 11 miles and it took me just under 90 minutes to get back to the top. It's shorter and the climbing is more steady. On the beeline side it's longer but with more ups and downs

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Count me in.....but where exactly is 4 peaks road? I am failing miserably at finding it on the map. About how long does either route take?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr
    3400ish feet in 11 miles and it took me just under 90 minutes to get back to the top.
    That is so sick...

mtbr member
    I have been meaning to do this ride for a long time. I will try to make it. I wish I was ridding more, this might kick my butt.

I, Mudd
    I might be interested in this one.
    "Because I was profiling and it looked stolen.
    90% of everything in my neighborhood is stolen." - Me

mtbr member
    K3 go east on the beeline. once you go under the overpass for the Bush Highway it's just a few miles down on your right. You'll start to head down hill going north and just a bit before the Beeline heads up over the mountain with all the granite boulders you will see a sign for it. Make that right turn and head up the dirt road about a mile or just a bit less and look for my white tacoma on the right.

It's an out and back so it's as long or as short as you make it. I can go to the top and back in 3 hours or town to the lake in just under 4 1/2 hours but I race marathon and CAT 1. I will be one of the faster people on the ride but there will be people of many fitness levels going so there will be someone to ride with no matter what your pace is.

See you out there.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How is the fire road on a weekend? Do you find too many jeeps and dirt bikes? I did this ride last friday, tried to get out on a weekday

mtbr member
    I've done it both weekends and week days and haven't found the weekends too bad, especially getting out early. the roads will be pretty clear when we start but we'll encounter a bit of traffic on the way back in.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Sounds good. I'll see you there! I'll be in a greenish suburban

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    mtbkracr-

I calibrated my gps at the start of my ride today and TopoFusion gave me 11,000' of climbing over 57 miles. This is from B Line to 188 and back with a sidebar to the Lone Pine TH at the top.

There are not too many rides in this area that will get your endurance up like this ride.
    Last edited by ARIZycle; 04-07-2011 at 08:27 PM.

mtbr member
    I saw that on your post! I guess my iPhone gps program I use isn't very accurate. That's awesome!

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Tomorrow should be awesome! It looks like we'll have some snow

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There is snow up in them thar hills today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't think I know any of you guys, but I'll probably be there. We'll see how long I can hang. I just want to get some climbing in before the Whiskey 25.

mtbr member
    Just come find us and introduce yourself. LIke I said, I'll be there a bit before 8:30 in a white Tacoma. All abilities welcome.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Wrench-O-Phile
    The course will not be rideable tomorrow... at least 5" of new snow so far, and snowing again as I type.

(Edit: sorry, misread the title and assumed you were riding the actual course... carry on)
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

mtbr member
    With all the rain, do you think the road will be solid? Is the road hardpack?

mtbr member
    The road will be in great shape, it's all hardpack. the last time I rode it was that thursday in December when we had that crazy storm. It was mixed rain and snow at the bottom. as I began the final climb the snow was acumulating on the ground and at the top there was a good 12" down. The hardest part was at the beginning of the final climb the road was all ice. I had to walk about a mile of it and riding down was a bit of a challenge. Since I can't seem to figure out how to upload pictures to this damned forum, here's what we may be in for tomorrow:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=19860&id=125047194224440#!/album.php?aid=19860&id=125047194224440

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You guys will have to park further up 4 peaks road since they are using the first parking lot for a plant nursery.

mtbr member
    I'm all in, except now thinking about the 4peaks road condition. Will it be rideable or did it snow too much today? Could be covered in snow ruts abv 4-5000 or so?

mtbr member
    I'm caught up in triathlon road blocks. Will be there ASAP. Not going to get there as early i'd hoped. Sorry.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Was not able to pull it off this morning, hope you guys are having a great grind. I definately want to check this out and may head out there next Saturday morning. Please load up some post ride photos and comments...

mtbr member
    It was quite a day today. We started with about 10 people and left at around 9 AM to head up the hill. It was chilly and damp but the sun was out and we knew it would be a great day. After rolling out as one group we sorted ourselves based on fitness as we began to climb. our front group began as 5 with me, my friends Ashley, Bob, Alan, and another guy in black on a Cannondale 29er ( you introduced yourself but I am really bad with names!). My wife and the rest of the girls faded into the distance in the slower group as we climbed. We started hitting snow about 8 miles in and stopped a few times to regroup. On the final push to the top it got wet and muddy which slowed us down a bit. At the top, the four of us left in the front group regrouped and put on our warm stuff for the descent to the lake. As we headed down the other side we got covered in dirty, muddy water from all the snow melt. That and the ice cold wind made for a frigid descent. Bob decided it was just a bit too chilly and headed back up and over the other side for home. Alan, Ashley and I pressed forward and down to highway 188. as we descended the temps rose and we thawed out and by noon we were at the bottom. We crossed the road and took a few pictures by the lake shore and turned around to face the consequences of our descent. It would be a tough slog back up. Ashley was fading a bit so he told Alan and I to go on ahead so we pushed on but didn't let him fall too far behind since it was a long trip back. After a few miles of climbing Alan stopped to fiddle with something on his drive train (it may have had something to do with the fact that it was sounding like the drive train on a methhead's 10 speed) I kept on keepin on until about 3 miles from the top where I thought it would be a good idea to regroup. After a short wait Ashley and Alan came cruising up the hill together. Ashley was getting pretty tired at this point so we all just took it easy and tackled the final ascent together. We met some friendly Jeep guys who gave us a few bottles of water. After that Ashley convinced us to press on without him and promised us he had plenty of food and water to make it back on his own. Alan and I bombed down the descents and rode as strong as our deteriorating legs would carry us up the short climbs home. About a mile before getting back to camp we ran into Alan's girlfriend Terrin who was driving up the road to see if we were still alive. We assured her we were good to make it back but sent her up to check on Ashley. we got back to the truck at about 3:30 and about 15 minutes later Ashley and Terrin showed up. And we all lived happily ever after.

It was a long day but a good training day. Thanks to those who came out! Here's a link to the photos:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fb...2635&aid=54845
    Last edited by mtbkracr; 04-10-2011 at 09:42 PM.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    K3N and I rode the 30 mile option and finished around 1230. First time riding 4 peaks road, and the snow scenery made it special...the baja racer wannabes, not so much.

The rest of you guys hammered that long rode climb! Nice! And the ladies did well also!

Does anyone have a GPS track on this route today? My GPS failed somehow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    My garmin showed 29.6 miles and 4334 feet of climbing. The gals and I turned around about two miles from the peak but it would have been a steep wet few miles. Glad we turned back when we did. Put in a little over four hours in up there. Gorgeous weather but funny because we'd get warm climbing and freeze descending. My arm warmers were more like yoyo's! It was a good eye opener for the Whiskey. 25miler says 3800 feet of climbing so it may be similar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ken, we went on a few miles further after we last saw you guys so my Garmin should be pretty similar to the distance and climbing you did.

mtbr member
    Here's a link to my wife's garmin stats http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78503873

And here's a link to my buddy's. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78503350

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for letting me puddle with you. I beefed twice (not bad) but second time I lost my front shock completely. It just went flat. I didnít want to destroy the fork and so I decided to turn back and take it slowly. I ran it a bit in the lock position trying to catch up to you guys but it wasnít pretty. I am going back this weekend and see if I can make it to the lake. I have to admit was an awesome run but didnítí like the baja. Close call with a blue one in particular (wife and a fat guy driving). Even thought I was coming down slowly, he cut the corner in my lane (of course) on a right turn (for me) and so it wasnít much room to get out of the road.

Nice pics.

K3N
    Certified slacker
    I had a great time! Scenery was awesome as I had never ridden in anything like that before. It was nice to me everyone and riding back with Rob was interesting as he had mentioned some careless drivers. It seems some people think it's their own personal race track and were trying to drift around a couple of the corners. I plan on going back this weekend and making it to the top. Thanks for getting me out there!

mtbr member
    Here's a link to my wife's garmin stats http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78503873

And here's a link to my buddy's. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78503350
    That is awesome, you guys (and girls) are animals. If some folks are headed out there next Saturday, please post it up. I'd like to try and grind to the top, not sure about dropping off the back...probably not.

Kathleen in AZ
    If you liked that training ride, you should try Mt. Ord! No traffic on the old road and probably not too much on the new road.

mtbr member
    I might be down to go back this Sunday but instead of going all the way to the lake I may go do some exploring at the top

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Wife and I are riding up to Four Peaks tomorrow morning to train for the Whiskey 29. We are going to start at 7:30 am. We don't plan on going down to the lake.

Anybody who wants to come is welcome. The only beverage that we will have is water...though it will be good water.

mtbr member
    I plan on being out there by about 8:00am on Sunday 4.17.11. Just plan on trying to make it to the top and back down.

mtbr member
    I'll be up there around the same time trying to nonstop it to the lake and back. I saw ssphoenix and he's going tomorrow too.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

K3N
    Certified slacker
    I'm gonna try to start riding at 7 to top and back. So.... I guess I'll see all you guys as you pass me by......

mtbr member
    Well, it was a bit warmer today than last Sunday. I started riding a bit before 8 and ran into K3N on the way up near the top and also saw azoke as I was on my way back up on the return trip home. You guys were looking good!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79859861

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    What a great grinder...It was good to see K3N and then Mtbkracr. Have you ever been quite a way in on an unfamiliar ride and get that gnawing feeling that you might have missed a turn or gone the wrong way? Not sure why I was feeling that, since the road was pretty obvious, but it was good to see K3N coming down the hill. That was the first mountain bike I saw all morning. I got a late start and was not pedaling until about 8:45 or so. Mtbkracr looked strong coming up the back side, wasn't even breathing hard. I did not go all the way down the backside, but did get in about 46 miles and about 6300' of climbing overall...Sweet!

I did see two other riders as I was coming back down. If you are on the boards, post up so I know who you are!

mtbr member
    AZ, sorry about the quick hello, I was trying to go non-stop.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    AZ, sorry about the quick hello, I was trying to go non-stop.
    Hey no problem, I could tell you were on a mission....I looked at your Garmin link...incredible...Good Job!

K3N
    Certified slacker
    azokie- nice to chat with ya, hope to see ya at whiskey

mtbkracr- the only thing I can say to you is-You're an animal! You made that ride your *****! oh yeah, and where the hell did you manage 39mph?!? I'd say I'll see ya at the whiskey too, but most likely you'll be long gone and on your way back to phx before I even finish!

Members who have read this thread: 0