SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Whiskey Off Road is marked

I was out on the Whiskey course today. All of the trail is marked. You will have to get yourself on to Copper Basin Road and back to town on Thumb Butte road. The rest of it is marked. 15ers make a right on Copper Basin and go to the lookout, don't go on 48. Markings should be pretty easy to figure out. The flags are on the INSIDE of the corners. One before, one in the apex and one after the corner. That is assuming no one pulls the markers.
    I also did a little work on one of the water bar sections on 48. I will be working 260 this week. Enjoy, SHU

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SHU
    I was out on the Whiskey course today. All of the trail is marked. You will have to get yourself on to Copper Basin Road and back to town on Thumb Butte road. The rest of it is marked. 15ers make a right on Copper Basin and go to the lookout, don't go on 48. Markings should be pretty easy to figure out. The flags are on the INSIDE of the corners. One before, one in the apex and one after the corner. That is assuming no one pulls the markers.
    I also did a little work on one of the water bar sections on 48. I will be working 260 this week. Enjoy, SHU
    Are you supposed to continue on trail 367 to 326 and then come out on Thumb Butte road, or we supposed to take one of the little side-trails off of 367 to get onto Thumb Butte Road? (like where the cattle guard used to be?).
    Trail 367 essentially turns into 326, which is where I'm confused.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Follow the "creekside" trail or 367 until it turns into 326. Take 326 until it hits Thumb Butte Road right by the park. This is the section where the flags usually dissappear prior to the race. We have stickers on them asking people not to remove them. Hopefully that will work.

Master Gardener
    Thanks SHU.

Did you mark the appropriate spot for me to stop and puke?

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you don't puke by the top of 48, I may start to question your level of commitment to this sport. HA HA

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm curious as to what kind of work you are doing. Tinkering with the course right before the race? Is this necessary or even ethical? Should we just be working on bringing our riding skills up to the level of the course instead of altering the course? How big of a surprise are people that have been pre-riding in for once you work these trails?

Master Gardener
    I don't think I've ever seen a skilled person work on a trail and purposely make it more difficult instead of safer, Rolling Thunder. SHU is employed by Epic Rides to make the course safe and fun. No need to worry.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder
    Tinkering with the course right before the race?
    Yes

Is this necessary or even ethical?
    Yes and yes

Should we just be working on bringing our riding skills up to the level of the course instead of altering the course?
    No

How big of a surprise are people that have been pre-riding in for once you work these trails?
    Huge.

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thunder, I appreciate your concern for the trail as well as the validity of the event itself. Myself and a friend are responsible for the initial course design as well as the multiple re-routes through the years. I have been working on the course for the past 6 years with the approval of the Prescott National Forest and Epic Rides. My primary focus is to remove blown down trees and some of the LOOSE rocks. The goal is to have a more enjoyable event for all. The winters here are not that bad, but they are bad enough to bring lots of loose rocks down the slopes and on to the trails. I am not sweeping the course or making it too easy. If you have done any of the past years events you know that this trail is always challenging. I assusre you that the work I do is LEGAL, ETHICAL, and NICE. We should always be working on bringing up our skill level, I agree. The only surprise people who have pre-ridden will have is a marked improvement in course conditions. Cheers,SHU

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Of course. I was more worried that it was getting watered down. No biggie. Just curious. The course seems fine the way it is to me. So you do have the option of killing yourself by going too fast down 260 hitting a cantaloupe sized rock and landing in a cactus, but you also have the option of just slowing down a bit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Cool beans. Thanks SHU. I'm especially glad the trees are gone. I was considering volunteering to do that myself a few weeks ago, then...they vanished without me lifting a finger! And I agree, good idea to have a safe course with so many people of varying experience levels out there.

Thunder, I appreciate your concern for the trail as well as the validity of the event itself. I have been working on the course for the past 6 years with the approval of the Prescott National Forest and Epic Rides. My primary focus is to remove blown down trees and some of the LOOSE rocks. The goal is to have a more enjoyable event for all. The winters here are not that bad, but they are bad enough to bring lots of loose rocks down the slopes and on to the trails. I am not sweeping the course or making it too easy. If you have done any of the past years events you know that this trail is always challenging. I assusre you that the work I do is LEGAL, ETHICAL, and NICE. We should always be working on bringing up our skill level, I agree. The only surprise people who have pre-ridden will have is a marked improvement in course conditions. Cheers,SHU

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks Shu for your work and efforts! Also, congrats on the 20th place finish at the Sea Otter!

Good luck this weekend.