Whiskey Off-Road 2011- Mtbr.com
    Got a suspension fork

Whiskey Off-Road 2011

Woohoo, signed up for my first time at WOR. 25 mile SS.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    No 50?

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    Woohoo, signed up for my first time at WOR. 25 mile SS.
    Prepare to suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Ahhh the pain....
    Doin' the 50 on the SS...
    "Go big or go home", I always say....lol

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Prepare to suffer.
    Geared is bad enough....but on a SS? That's just crazy talk.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath
    Geared is bad enough....but on a SS? That's just crazy talk.
    B, I don't know about the 50, I don't want any part of that, but I can tell you that with the 25, having done it SS and geared, that it is EASIER on an SS! Better to just hammer those climbs, than sit and spin until you lose your will to live! Hard to believe, I know, but truly, it's SO much climbing, that anything that helps get that part over with, is a Godsend!!!

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunion
    No 50?
    As a rigid SS newbie, and my riding schedule - I honestly don't think I could finish the WOR 50 in any reasonable time. I don't manage to make the time to get out on long rides like that... I think the 25 will be plenty hard enough for me on the rigid ss as it is.

For those that have ridden the 25 before, how is the steepness of the climbs compared to say Bell or Windgate? I can look at grades on my software, but that doesn't always tell the full story. Plus Prescott is at far higher elevation than the Phoenix Metro area - that definitely takes it out of you.

Powered by ice cream.
    As a rigid SS newbie, and my riding schedule - I honestly don't think I could finish the WOR 50 in any reasonable time. I don't manage to make the time to get out on long rides like that... I think the 25 will be plenty hard enough for me on the rigid ss as it is.

For those that have ridden the 25 before, how is the steepness of the climbs compared to say Bell or Windgate? I can look at grades on my software, but that doesn't always tell the full story. Plus Prescott is at far higher elevation than the Phoenix Metro area - that definitely takes it out of you.
    You will be fine.

50 sucks.

I think the 25 grades are very similar to what I have felt in the Mcdowells. Not as steep at Tom's thumb. All the road is climbable, some spots on the ST where you will be pushing.

Mainly you will be in pain from the downhills.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I've done the 50 and the 25, I also did the 25 on geared and SS and would say the 25 single speed is the most fun. On a rigid I would not recommend, that is going to hurt at the end but I'll be with you this year. I will try the 50 SS in 2012 but this year one more time for the 25.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Got a suspension fork
    I forget if Raybum calls this ride the Big Double, or the Double Plus, but I think it will be my training ride for WOR25.

Click on the image below for a ZIP with the full size image, GPX and TCX gps files.

I just signed up, holy crap did the price go up. This may be the last year I do this event, $102 for an amateur race is too much, shame.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

For those who want to REALLY experience the trails around Prescott, two weeks earlier (April 16) is the Prescott Monstercross http://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/pm/.

This is my favorite of the AES races that I've done so far. It hits all the best trails while doing a big loop around Prescott. And for those of us with budgetary constraints - it's free!

If nothing else, you can consider it training for the Whiskey.

--Jeff

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer
    I just signed up, holy crap did the price go up. This may be the last year I do this event, $102 for an amateur race is too much, shame.
    Yikes. That is nutz.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    For those who want to REALLY experience the trails around Prescott, two weeks earlier (April 16) is the Prescott Monstercross http://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/pm/.

This is my favorite of the AES races that I've done so far. It hits all the best trails while doing a big loop around Prescott. And for those of us with budgetary constraints - it's free!

If nothing else, you can consider it training for the Whiskey.

--Jeff
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Todd likes the $$$$. $102 for this race is just stoopid IMO, but to each his own. Have a great time

mtbr member
    People will still pay it though, I know I will.

mtbr member
    I'll probably bite the bullet and pay it this year, 50SS. I need to improve on last year's poor performance.
    I figure the price increase is buying my ticket to the pro race the following day. I've never seen one and this is the cheapest way to see the big boys (and girls) roll.
    I hope the show is worth it!
    Cheers,
    M

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by idaz
    I'll probably bite the bullet and pay it this year, 50SS. I need to improve on last year's poor performance.
    I figure the price increase is buying my ticket to the pro race the following day. I've never seen one and this is the cheapest way to see the big boys (and girls) roll.
    I hope the show is worth it!
    Cheers,
    M
    FYI: you can watch most pro bike races for free This one included.

mtbr member

For the 25, the climbs will be fine. I'd say similar to the McDowells, but if memory serves, not as long.

Something I'm more familiar with that I think is comparable in terms of grade is that climb that heads due east on T100, as you cross under the Cave Creek tunnel. The trail that parallels the side street off CC.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    For the 25, the climbs will be fine. I'd say similar to the McDowells, but if memory serves, not as long.

Something I'm more familiar with that I think is comparable in terms of grade is that climb that heads due east on T100, as you cross under the Cave Creek tunnel. The trail that parallels the side street off CC.
    that's a good steep grade up towards the top, and of course miles shorter.

mtbr member
    that's a good steep grade up towards the top, and of course miles shorter.
    I'm thinking more the stuff that is lower on the climb. Based on your comment, I'm assuming you're looking for something to ride to train then? Two words: Shaw Butte X 5.

It's been 3-4 years since I did the WoR, and I did the 50, so I had about 12-miles of shitboring climbs before I hit the hill I'm thinking of. I also did it geared, so I had that crutch. Let me put it this way: I survivied .

You'll do fine!

meow
    I was gonna do it this year but now, not so much. Todd raised the rate to help pay the PRO purse of $20k. Money's on the line so watch how many pro's line up and pound each other for it. $102 is a lot of moola for one SAG stop and a whole lot of suffering.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    And like most pro races you won't see much of the race, but you should be able to mingle with them

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato
    I was gonna do it this year but now, not so much. Todd raised the rate to help pay the PRO purse of $20k. Money's on the line so watch how many pro's line up and pound each other for it. $102 is a lot of moola for one SAG stop and a whole lot of suffering.

The city of Prescott must have kicked in some cold hard cash towards the Pro Class purse,no? Todd's bringing a few thousand folks to town who will be spending plenty of $$$ at the local level. The bars, restaraunts, hotels and other downtown establishments will be the big winners.

mtbr member
    signed up for the most suffering I can handle-- 50 mi geared. My older, crazier friends Russell and "Crude Dawg" Havrda talked me into to the climbing suckfest out of skull valley. This will be an education..

Elitest thrill junkie
    Damn, I guess I'll have to continue to ride the trails around Prescott for free. As far as 50 vs 25, I'd be interested in the 50 (but not at $104) if it was interesting, but it's just out and back on a graded dirt road. The 25 has a lot of variety, ups and downs, more and more singletrack every year, and so on. There are better ways around Prescott to rack up ultra-milege.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Its only 2 buck a mile

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunion
    Its only 2 buck a mile
    Thats a great outlook!
    I plan on doing the 50 and am looking for some good prep rides in the valley, any ideas?

mtbr member

Yeah, I know that. I guess I was speaking from more of a philosophical viewpoint than a fiscal one.
    I also get that you guys have more and better trails than those that are included in the Whiskey's courses. If I was purely interested in the best y'all have to offer I'd look at the AES event as a sampler.
    When and if I buy the ticket for the 50 it's for the setting, seeing old friends, the festivities, the competition against the field and (more importantly) against myself. It's also for the motivation to go bike 30 miles in 40 degree temps as I did this evening.

This event may not be your (collective) cup of tea but I tire of people pissing in my cup just because I doesn't suit their taste.

I look forward to seeing y'all out there whether it's on the course or on the sidelines. I'll be the one looking for the beer handup at the overlook after Skull Valley.

Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    Four peaks over to roosavelt lake and back gives you a pretty close distance and elevation change. Also doing a double bypass over sunrise and tom's thumb with a bit of mmp would be good too.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Mailing in my 50 proof geared entry today!

mtbr member
    Agreed.
    Best riding in town!!!!!
    Im in whiskey 25SS

mtbr member
    Me too, 3rd year SS straight outta Compton.

Ok, Santa Monica/Palisades, but you get the point. Stoked.

Let'er Buck
    Any word if they are going to have the peace makers again, did they have it announced this time last year. I thought the after race concert really added to the festivities especially if the weather is nice.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

offtrackmtb
    Jun 2009
    Registration is 85 with a $10 donation, $95. Where are we getting $102?

Quote Originally Posted by offtrackmtb
    Registration is 85 with a $10 donation, $95. Where are we getting $102?

Seven plus dollars to get ripped off signing up online. funny how some places can charge three dollars and others charge much more. I should have sent it in by mail, save that $7 for a beer.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I haven't even checked it yet, but is that $10 fee an optional donation or a fee?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Looks like it is mandatory.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC
    Looks like it is mandatory.

Which really does not make it a donation IMO

mtbr member
    I'm taking a shot of the 50 proof...geared. This will be my longest bike race by far...I did the TOTWM 35 last year and that was a grind.

mtbr member
    2nd year! I've been counting down to do it again! It's a great course and lots of climbing but sooooo...worth it! Had a blast last year! It's a great event and a must do at least once. Good luck to everyone one out there!
    Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I was going to do it, but that's a rip-off in my opinion. I'll go ride the quad bypass on that day. At least its free.

Chiva

Beetlejuice!
    Just saw this on the Facebook:

For one night only, to show our appreciation for the community of Prescott's continued support, Epic Rides is offering Prescottonians a discounted Whiskey Off Road registration opportunity. Meet us at the Raven, January 18th from 5:00p – 8:30p for $75 fees (-$20)

I'm half tempted to ride my motorcycle up there for fun just to register...I'd still save about $12.
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch" - Sheldon

PNF Ax Man.
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Solrider
    Just saw this on the Facebook:

For one night only, to show our appreciation for the community of Prescott's continued support, Epic Rides is offering Prescottonians a discounted Whiskey Off Road registration opportunity. Meet us at the Raven, January 18th from 5:00p – 8:30p for $75 fees (-$20)
    The Raven?! If that’s the case, Epic needs to pay us $75 to get the hippie smell from our clothes. No thanks.

Dash

mtbr member
    Wish I would have known about that last week.Also I just changed up from the 25 to the 50 proof.I may live to regret this!

mtbr member
    is the whiskey 50 more or less suffering as the quad bypass? I'm guessing more with the 7,000 plus vertical! any thoughts?
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If the quad is ridden starting w/ Tom's thumb instead of wingate, I think that the amount of climbing is about 8,000 ft. All this over ~ 38 miles. Granted, Prescott has elevation which makes it tough. But the quad has some more technical aspects other than climbing a fire road. Don't mean to knock the race, just can't justify spending $100 to do it.

Chiva

mtbr member
    if you add another $50 for gas that's (2) new tires, a new chain and a new cassette!
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Did the promoters basically make it logistically impossible to drive up from Phx the morning of the race? A mandatory meeting on Friday from 8pm - 9pm does not leave enough time to get some good sleep before an early wake up to drive back to Prescott on Saturday morning.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Ive done it twice and missed the mandetory meeting both times. Miss at your own risk I guess, but it didn't seem to be important.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanDM
    Did the promoters basically make it logistically impossible to drive up from Phx the morning of the race? A mandatory meeting on Friday from 8pm - 9pm does not leave enough time to get some good sleep before an early wake up to drive back to Prescott on Saturday morning.
    Not mandatory, and the Quad is tougher than the 50...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Thats past my Bedtime

Wrench-O-Phile
    In for 50 SS

For the competitive minded of you... victory is assured with a burrito from Hugo's Cantina the day before the race (and after completion, of course)
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvota
    In for 50 SS

For the competitive minded of you... victory is assured with a burrito from Hugo's Cantina the day before the race (and after completion, of course)
    Just missed ya at the sign in you SS stud. I also heard you left to go to Hugo's . Ahhh the potatoe and black bean burrito's. Just signed up for the 25, wave as you pass by me.
    SHITBIRD

Monocog Masher
    Since the winner of the 50 SS (both male and female) is getting a free trip to Ireland to compete in the World Singlespeed Championships, I'm sure there will be some good competition in the SS category.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The race is only about 1 month away! Anyone planning to do a pre ride in April? I am thinking of going to check it out (and get some altitude training) but I don't know the route.

Also, is packet pickup available Saturday morning before the race?

Got a suspension fork
    The race is only about 1 month away! Anyone planning to do a pre ride in April? I am thinking of going to check it out (and get some altitude training) but I don't know the route.

If you use a GPS, here is the Whiskey 25 route.

Edit: and I am going to pre-ride, but unsure when I'll make it up. If there is going to be a loosely organized ride, please post details.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It might be great this weekend.

mtbr member

Epic Rides is holding an official preride this weekend, according to their Facebook page.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Epic Rides is holding an official preride this weekend, according to their Facebook page.
    From their recent email:

Pre-Ride Weekend, April 2-3: The Practice Party
    Epic Rides invites you to head to Prescott April 2-3 for the Unofficial Whiskey Off-Road Pre-Ride Weekend. Pre-ride weekend is not so much an organized ride as an informal gathering of backcountry pedal-pushers. There is no start time or location--we at Epic Rides simply encourage anyone who's interested to go out and ride the course. After all, there is no substitute for a pre-ride. As always, please ride safely and respect other trail users, especially the equestrian and hiking folks.

Need more cowbell
    A couple of us are going up Saturday to pre-ride the 25.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    This race has hit the tipping point, costs way to much..... Too bad because was a very fun event. Doing Prescott Monstercross for free and all singletrack!

Beetlejuice!
    Still on the fence, but leaning towards no. Was planning on doing the 15 just to dip my toes, but it seems Epic thought it would be a great idea to host that race at 3pm on Friday I'm pretty sure I'm not in good enough shape to take on the 25, which is more like 30 from what I understand, ss. Maybe next year.
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch" - Sheldon

Sexy Mother Fakir
    Quote Originally Posted by iknowclint
    This race has hit the tipping point, costs way to much..... Too bad because was a very fun event. Doing Prescott Monstercross for free and all singletrack!
    Agreed, this might be my last WOR. I've been riding the WOR since 2006 and registration fees crept up a little each year, this year however it totaled over $100!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Lets get the word out to the promoters! NOT WORTH THE COST! seriously the prescott monstercross is a much better course, from what i remember over 90% single track, much better then riding a fire road for 30 miles

Members who have read this thread: 0