Whiskey 50-proof...who's in?- Mtbr.com
    Too many Sedonuts...

Whiskey 50-proof...who's in?

C'mon! Be a good 'Merican!

Just registered.

Don't care how much it hurts, don't care what the outcome is, (I want a perfect body, I want a perfect soul...) as long as I finish, and don't end up like this guy...and get a beer afterwards.

When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    I'll be out on course working....hope to see you guys out there.
    Darwin was an Optimist

Master Gardener
    I'm dreading the 25 enough as it is... no Fitty for me. Unless it will fight terrorism... I'll do anything to fight terrorism.

In the rear with the beer
    I'm in. Despite saying after the ride last year that I thought the 50 was purely sadistic and I would never do it again....i'm doing it anyway....maybe its me that is sadistic.......
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

aka Diesel
    But of course I'm in. Going to register when I return from San Francisco. Pain is my middle name.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    I'm dreading the 25 enough as it is... no Fitty for me. Unless it will fight terrorism... I'll do anything to fight terrorism.
    Not only can it fight terrorism, but it can put food in the bellies of starving Iraqis, and gas in the tanks of starving SUV's.

God bless Whiskey. And America.

Master Gardener
    God bless bourbon. And Kentucky.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    But of course I'm in. Going to register when I return from San Francisco. Pain is my middle name.
    And Max is your first.

Wouldn't expect anything less, CK...game on!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I might consider the 25 now that I have a road bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm in for the 25 this year. A broke shoulder 2 weeks before last years kept me out.

God bless Tequila....and Mexico!

mtbr member

Not any Islamic muslim extremist terror attacks on the USA for seven plus years and counting since September 12, 2001. . .

Salty Dog

Weenie...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    I'm in. Despite saying after the ride last year that I thought the 50 was purely sadistic and I would never do it again....i'm doing it anyway....maybe its me that is sadistic.......
    Hey, I will do it with you! 50 miles is SO much shorter than 100 at Leadville, or even 50 at Leadville!

Tommy
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

curse the text

Last year I did the 25 and swore off anything more. But someone, uhmmm Kim, text me and wrote, Whiskey 50 in April? Damn you!! Why did you have to mention the 50! I was going to pretend I didn't know the Whiskey existed and completely skip out.

12 weeks to prep for this monster.....

Glad to see some fellow mtbr.com'ers are going to be there too!

My goal: To finish and oh yeah no crying.

Tiff

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    the extra 25 of the fifty is crumby road. not even fireroad, it's just flat out dirt road.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    the extra 25 of the fifty is crumby road. not even fireroad, it's just flat out dirt road.
    I've heard climbing back up that road sucks @ss... Then you have the rest of that climb to the lookout.

Tiff

Fragile - must be Italian
    I will definitely sign up for the 50 this year...and will probably do it on my singlespeed. I've already done it twice on the NRS...so why not ride it atop Rita this year?

And yes...you've heard it a million times already but just understand what you are getting yourself into...the 13 mile climb (yes, 13) out of Skull Valley REALLY REALLY sucks. Really. It's long. It's relentless. And worst of all...it's on a goddam fire road so it is BORING. And just when you think you're at the top....you have 2-3 miles to go still. But it's also a challenge...so idiots like me sign up every year to ride it again, and again, and again.

If you're serious about getting into shape for this, I've got a great training program for you (stay tuned)...

Thx...Doug

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    I've heard climbing back up that road sucks @ss... Then you have the rest of that climb to the lookout.
    The good news is it's all downhill to the turn around point. Then it's a 13mile (give or take a little) 2700'ish climb to the top. After that it's all down hill to the finish (mostly down hill and some of it technical, rocky and rooted, I call it the fun part).

I'll be doing the 25. I'm looking to better my time from last year, and the 25 is no joke as it is. And it was 28 miles, but I think the 50 was less that advertised. It's a great event which ever choice you make.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    I'll be riding my inagural 50 on a SS. Rode the SSAZ this past weekend as a litmus test for the Whiskey and am hooked now.
    See y'all there.
    Cheers,
    Matt

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    And yes...you've heard it a million times already but just understand what you are getting yourself into...the 13 mile climb (yes, 13) out of Skull Valley REALLY REALLY sucks. Really. It's long. It's relentless. And worst of all...it's on a goddam fire road so it is BORING. And just when you think you're at the top....you have 2-3 miles to go still. Thx...Doug
    And for a million and one times, yes. That 13 mile climb does, indeed, suck @ss. And Doug forgot one thing. There is NO shade.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem

Tiff
    Yea, it's not that much fun, but not as bad as some make it out to be. Yes, it goes on forever, and it's more or less like spinning in place. Yes, the worst part was coming back to the rest area and THEN climbing up to the lookout. But it was all gravy from there.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Salty Dog

Idiots, we are...

.so idiots like me sign up every year to ride it again, and again, and again.

Doug, since this will be my third Whiskey 50 in four years (07 didn't work for me with a broken femur) does this make me a member of the Whiskey 50 Idiots? I suppose it could be worse, eh?

Tommy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    There is NO shade.
    Not entirely true. I recall one place where if you stood back against the mountain, the overhang provide *some* shade. I remember it being like christmas when I stopped to, um, time my shoe.

parenting for gnarness
    want to, but we'll have to see how the kid siteeation plays out. It would be a long day trip from E.Mesa if I swing it. i vow to do no special training, so that i will not be upset when Skull Valley sodomizes me.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Master Gardener
    So, is the climb tough? heheh

(When was the last terrorist attack on US soil previous to 9/11?)

mtbr member
    So, is the climb tough? heheh

(When was the last terrorist attack on US soil previous to 9/11?)
    December 12, 2000 (look the date up).

Master Gardener
    Oh man... I'm gonna hide b/c this thread is gonna be on fire now...

Tucson, AZ
    And yes...you've heard it a million times already but just understand what you are getting yourself into...the 13 mile climb (yes, 13) out of Skull Valley REALLY REALLY sucks. Really.
    Anyone that wants to get more miles and train for the Whiskey can also check out the Prescott Monstercross, intended for ultra-enduro geeks that love to climb and ride for 6+ hours.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 01-28-2009 at 06:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Nope. You're wrong. Missed it by exactly two months. October 12, 2000. Look it up.

jeff

mtbr member
    May 2008

That is

Freaking hilarious!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Doug, way pay to ride on forest roads when you can ride singletrack for free? You and anyone else can join us
    Nice push, I agree.
    SHITBIRD

Doug, why pay to ride on forest roads when you can ride singletrack for free? You and anyone else can join us
    Good point...but why can't I do both?

One thing the Whiskey has in its favor...and that's the "sponsored" pub crawl afterwards. Nothing like a little drunken debauchery after a long hot ride.

Now only if Prescott had a brothel...

Thx...Doug

Tucson, AZ
    Good point...but why can't I do both?
    Well said, spoken like a true endurance mountain biker

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Nice push, I agree.
    No pushing allowed, just riding.

You going to join us this year again helimech?

parenting for gnarness
    Well said, spoken like a true endurance mountain biker
    oh gawd, hugs everyone!!!!

mtbr member
    Harvey will of course be there -- again. 3rd-year in a row now, and EVERY YEAR on that blessed-climb out of Skull-Valley I SWEAR to myself that I WILL NOT do the 50 "next year". Well, next year is here and I'll be there with two friends to do it with me.

Last year I brought a buddy who'd NEVER raced -- EVER! He signed up for the 50 and I was a smidge worried about him.
    * I was apparently worried about the wrong person! He did it in under 4-1/2 I think?!? (Matt Burke) It took me OVER 6 hrs. last year; when I went in hoping to break 5 hrs.

We're bringing another friend who doesn't drink so we'll have a designated-driver to get back from "Down-town" too! Yippee!!!

Todd puts on a GREAT event, so why not suffer longer for the 50-proof, eyh?

See ya' all up there!

Harv
    out
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

mtbr member
    No pushing allowed, just riding.

You going to join us this year again helimech?
    I barely finished it last year. I might give it a go.
    SHITBIRD

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    oh gawd, hugs everyone!!!!
    yeah for 3-day weekends! I might do both races if I can swing a carpool ride up there for either one. Anyone in Phx want to carpool?
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 01-28-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Done the 50 my first two times then the 25 the next two times (trying to see if I could be the r year before times) {I did} this year 25 S.S. next year the same then onto the 50 S.S. if I'm not too old by then.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

E !

I'm in

I'll be coming down from Vegas. This will be my 1st whiskey 50. What's this 13 mile climb on a dirt road? Can't be too bad ,eh?

I AM PEDALING!

Good job! I'm IN, From So. Cal.

A buddy from Az. sent me the link to this thread, and from what it sounds like, that 13 mile climb is gonna suck!
    Just currious about where it is durring the ride. Sounds like about midway?
    Also, I read that there is a cut-off to make for the 50. Sounds like I need to be at Aid Station #3 by 1PM. Anyone know how many miles I'll need to cover, in how much time, to make the cut-off?
    I'm no racer by any means, I just like to join in on these events to finish them.
    I'll be bringing my 5 inch travel Kona Dawg, along with the On-One Summer Season steel hardtail I'm building up right now. I'm getting there a few days before the event to get in a couple of rides. That'll give me an idea on which bike to ride for the 50 miler. I thought about bringing my Kona Stinky, but think I'll pass after reading about the climb.
    I put on a small ride down here once a year for the local "big bike" riders. http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...sh-kona-v.html
    Long rides, on long travel bikes, are FUN!
    I'm really looking forward to the ride!
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crash maxwell
    A buddy from Az. sent me the link to this thread, and from what it sounds like, that 13 mile climb is gonna suck!
    Also, I read that there is a cut-off to make for the 50. Sounds like I need to be at Aid Station #3 by 1PM. Anyone know how many miles I'll need to cover, in how much time, to make the cut-off?
    I'm no racer by any means, I just like to join in on these events to finish them.
    I'll be bringing my 5 inch travel Kona Dawg, along with the On-One Summer Season steel hardtail I'm building up right now. I'm getting there a few days before the event to get in a couple of rides. That'll give me an idea on which bike to ride for the 50 miler. I thought about bringing my Kona Stinky, but think I'll pass after reading about the climb.
    I put on a small ride down here once a year for the local "big bike" riders. http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...sh-kona-v.html
    Correct, it's about midway, and up to that point, the course is relatively tame (at least in terms of endurance). Not sure if they changed the course, but it started in town with a longish gradual climb through town on ashphalt. Then some fun, rolling trails, with a couple steep, loose descents, followed by a gradual fireroad climb to I think aid station #2. There, you can either drop down into skull valley, or up if you're doing the 25. The 13 mile climb is an out and back (so I guess a total of 26 miles), so you drop down into skull valley, and then turn right around and climb what you just descended. I don't recall a cut off time...

The course is very, very HT friendly, and bighit bike is overkill. However, if you're planning on riding more of the Prescott trails, definitely bring both.

Hey Maxwell....the climb should not be as hard as, say Harding t/t or Maple spring t/t so you should be fine, it is about mid way but not sure of the miles to Aid Station #3 (anyone?)
    come on out any time for a pre-ride bring some buds, Prescott has some fun trails.

Cheers Billy
    Darwin was an Optimist

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm really thinking about doing the ride this year. Why? Because I have a bike that would do alright. I would highly advise to not ride the Dawg or Stinky, there's a LOT of riding on the road, riding where you're going to make up time and put a LOT of distance between people if you're on a light hardtail or especially a 29er hardtail. The 50 mile "loop" simply adds 25 miles of road, and there's already a long portion of road during the first part of the race. About half of the 25 mile race is on some kind of road (dirt) and again, you'll make up mad time on a 29er. There is one long sustained downhill, and it could be pretty sketch on a rigid bike, but realistically thats the only real long downhill you do and if you survive that you'll reap the benefits of the lighter/more efficient bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2008

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I'm really thinking about doing the ride this year. Why? Because I have a bike that would do alright. I would highly advise to not ride the Dawg or Stinky, there's a LOT of riding on the road, riding where you're going to make up time and put a LOT of distance between people if you're on a light hardtail or especially a 29er hardtail. The 50 mile "loop" simply adds 25 miles of road, and there's already a long portion of road during the first part of the race. About half of the 25 mile race is on some kind of road (dirt) and again, you'll make up mad time on a 29er. There is one long sustained downhill, and it could be pretty sketch on a rigid bike, but realistically thats the only real long downhill you do and if you survive that you'll reap the benefits of the lighter/more efficient bike.
    I agree...
    The babyhead sized rocks on the Mt Francis downhill is the only real "sketchy" part for a rigid SS. Gonna try it this year as well. I really hope a 5 - 6lb lighter bike will help get my azz up the hills

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    Hey, I will do it with you! 50 miles is SO much shorter than 100 at Leadville, or even 50 at Leadville!

Tommy
    Amen to that Tommy, Amen!!

My mantra climbing out of Skull Valley will be "at least its not Columbine"
    Last edited by bigdudecycling; 01-29-2009 at 01:35 PM.
    Salvation Outdoor

want to, but we'll have to see how the kid siteeation plays out. It would be a long day trip from E.Mesa if I swing it. i vow to do no special training, so that i will not be upset when Skull Valley sodomizes me.

Skull Valley Sodomy....Todd should totally rename the 50 the Skull Valley Sodomy.....
    Salvation Outdoor

parenting for gnarness
    Skull Valley Sodomy....Todd should totally rename the 50 the Skull Valley Sodomy.....
    outstanding idea! how do you think it will play when he asks the city for sponsorship money ?

mtbr member
    outstanding idea! how do you think it will play when he asks the city for sponsorship money ?
    If I'm not mistaken, the term "7 *****es" everybody uses to describe the rollers at 24H was a grassroots thing that eventually made its into the official literature and newsletter. I say we make a mtbr proclamation that instead of referring to the "climb out of skull valley," we refer to it as the "skull valley sodomy". Who's with me?

(If anybody asks, it was Cholla and BigCyclingDude's idea.)

Alright, that may not go over well, BUT, the Skull Valley Hell's Angels may be interested in the concept....
    Salvation Outdoor

parenting for gnarness
    Alright, that may not go over well, BUT, the Skull Valley Hell's Angels may be interested in the concept....

did you ever do training rides on 4 Peaks rd for Leadville? That actually did not feel as hard to me. maybe cause it has its share or rollers or maybe cause I hadn't already done 20 miles.

did you ever do training rides on 4 Peaks rd for Leadville? That actually did not feel as hard to me. maybe cause it has its share or rollers or maybe cause I hadn't already done 20 miles.
    It was recommended to me early summer...but by that time I was doing most of my longer/climbing in Flagstaff on the weekends. I may give it a try when I re-up for Leadville in 2010....determined to finish on my next try!!
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Whiskey is Irish. Whisky is Scottish. Is there a difference?

"Yabut"
    My mantra climbing out of Skull Valley will be "at least its not Columbine"
    I think I hated Skull Valley more than Columbine.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

I AM PEDALING!

Good job! Thanks guys!!

I just got my Summer Season frame today. It should build up into a pretty nifty all around hardtail. After I swap over the parts from the HOSS, I'm guessing it'll weigh right around 31lbs.
    Billy, I may take you up on some riding there in the next few weeks.
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

Over the Hill
    I just got my Summer Season frame today. It should build up into a pretty nifty all around hardtail. After I swap over the parts from the HOSS, I'm guessing it'll weigh right around 31lbs.
    Billy, I may take you up on some riding there in the next few weeks.
    Darin let me know if you are going out there in the next few weeks, the pictures coming out of the desert this time of the year are killing me...I need a desert fix. I am also in for the Whiskey.

Dean

parenting for gnarness
    If I'm not mistaken, the term "7 *****es" everybody uses to describe the rollers at 24H was a grassroots thing that eventually made its into the official literature and newsletter. I say we make a mtbr proclamation that instead of referring to the "climb out of skull valley," we refer to it as the "skull valley sodomy". Who's with me?

er...out. going to be the AES race (or daddy-daycare ). All the more reason to push that name and blame me for it!!!

Too many Sedonuts...
    I say we make a mtbr proclamation that instead of referring to the "climb out of skull valley," we refer to it as the "skull valley sodomy". Who's with me?

Dude I am so with you. F the city. Are we not men? We are Devo.

Skull Valley Sodomy it is.

Love the madness.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojom
    Whiskey is Irish. Whisky is Scottish. Is there a difference?
    Who art thou?

Scotch Whisky is Scottish.

From the interweb:

Whisky or whiskey refers to a broad category of alcoholic beverages that are distilled from fermented grain mash and aged in wooden casks (generally oak). Different grains are used for different varieties, including barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, and maize (corn).

With few exceptions, the spelling is always Scotch and Canadian whisky (plural: whiskies), and Irish and American whiskey (whiskeys).

To be called Scotch whisky the spirit must conform to the standards of the Scotch Whisky Order of 1990 (UK), which clarified the Scotch Whisky Act 1988, and mandates that the spirit:

1. Must be distilled at a Scottish distillery from water and malted barley, to which only other whole grains may be added, have been processed at that distillery into a mash, converted to a fermentable substrate only by endogenous enzyme systems, and fermented only by the addition of yeast,
    2. Must be distilled to an alcoholic strength of less than 94.8% by volume so that it retains the flavour of the raw materials used in its production,
    3. Must be matured in Scotland in oak casks for no less than three years and a day,
    4. Must not contain any added substance other than water and caramel colouring, and
    5. May not be bottled at less than 40% alcohol by volume.

This definition is currently under review and new legislation is expected in the spring of 2008.

This is clearly an Irish/American event.

i like cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Who art thou?

Scotch Whisky is Scottish.

From the interweb:

Whisky or whiskey refers to a broad category of alcoholic beverages that are distilled from fermented grain mash and aged in wooden casks (generally oak). Different grains are used for different varieties, including barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, and maize (corn).

With few exceptions, the spelling is always Scotch and Canadian whisky (plural: whiskies), and Irish and American whiskey (whiskeys).

To be called Scotch whisky the spirit must conform to the standards of the Scotch Whisky Order of 1990 (UK), which clarified the Scotch Whisky Act 1988, and mandates that the spirit:

1. Must be distilled at a Scottish distillery from water and malted barley, to which only other whole grains may be added, have been processed at that distillery into a mash, converted to a fermentable substrate only by endogenous enzyme systems, and fermented only by the addition of yeast,
    2. Must be distilled to an alcoholic strength of less than 94.8% by volume so that it retains the flavour of the raw materials used in its production,
    3. Must be matured in Scotland in oak casks for no less than three years and a day,
    4. Must not contain any added substance other than water and caramel colouring, and
    5. May not be bottled at less than 40% alcohol by volume.

This definition is currently under review and new legislation is expected in the spring of 2008.

This is clearly an Irish/American event.

you and your Scotch... I have no idea why you hate America so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master Gardener
    I love how nobody ever warns first-timers about the steep paved pitch heading up Copper Basin Road.

I love how nobody ever warns first-timers about the steep paved pitch heading up Copper Basin Road.
    yeah...but it's paved, so it doesn't count
    Darwin was an Optimist

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's a race. In the mountains. Should be expected. Despite that, I've warned people plenty of times, just not in the last 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Im thinking the monstercross sounds better ,better trails & free !Ive done the 50 twice
    once fixed & again SS and last year did pretty good in the 25SS,but $65 to ride stuff
    I can ride any weekend.I dont know.

We're in for the monstercross Christi entered us with tandem
    I know what you mean fixgeardan..."$65 to ride stuff I can ride any weekend"
    that's why I started working it instead of riding it...we have fun seeing everyone suffer
    I don't think 65 bucks is out of line for this race, it's still a much better deal than a MBAA race in MHO. and he use to have free beer and coffee coupons in the goodie bag
    I also think I understand why Todd put the dirt road to skull valley in there...it's just ugly!
    you hit the turnaround and you can see the climb all the way to the top and it's in your face the whole way...hows that for screwing with your mind.
    I wish I could suffer along with you guys but I think Todd has come to count on us to help out. We would love to do the 50 on the tandem but alas doomed to working it but that's fun too (anyone not riding we could use your help out there...hint hint)
    so thanks you guys for the monstercross....we get to suffer tooooooo

Cheers,everyone, have fun out there
    we'll see you on course
    Billy
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    May 2008

Thats were....

Quote Originally Posted by befoot
    We're in for the monstercross Christi entered us with tandem
    I know what you mean fixgeardan..."$65 to ride stuff I can ride any weekend"
    that's why I started working it instead of riding it...we have fun seeing everyone suffer
    I don't think 65 bucks is out of line for this race, it's still a much better deal than a MBAA race in MHO. and he use to have free beer and coffee coupons in the goodie bag
    I also think I understand why Todd put the dirt road to skull valley in there...it's just ugly!
    you hit the turnaround and you can see the climb all the way to the top and it's in your face the whole way...hows that for screwing with your mind.
    I wish I could suffer along with you guys but I think Todd has come to count on us to help out. We would love to do the 50 on the tandem but alas doomed to working it but that's fun too (anyone not riding we could use your help out there...hint hint)
    so thanks you guys for the monstercross....we get to suffer tooooooo

Cheers,everyone, have fun out there
    we'll see you on course
    Billy
    I met you first! Last year, I was the dork walking around in a big black soft cast on my right arm. I crashed 2 weeks before the Whiskey, had surgery and couldn't ride so I volunteered! I worked at the Tent at the 25/50 mile junction. That was a lot of fun, met some cool peeps And got to cheer on Floyd and the all fast dudes...twice!

Master Gardener
    It's about more than the course, of course. Not only is it $65 for trails we could ride anytime... it's $65 for trails locals would never ride! But it's obviously not about the course, but about the event, the people and supporting the local scene.

And Dan, you did better than alright... IIRC you and Toby SMOKED everyone in the 25. I'm looking forward to seeing you out there again this year! You gotta go. Otherwise, Toby's gonna have a cakewalk to the finish.

Billy and Christie- thanks for your help with the event! You guys are golden.

As for the $65... well, Todd is a business man first and foremost. Can't hold that against him really. But it does feel funny that the Durango boys are able to provide 5 days of rides, festivities, rock bands until dawn, a film festival... all for 800 participants... for $35. Now that's a value! (Singlespeed World Championships '09).

The Whiskey rocks, though.

Tucson, AZ
    but about the event, the people and supporting the local scene.
    Well said. Epic Rides knows how to put on a good time; they are the best race promoter in the state of Arizona. $65 is a descent price for this race when you look at all station aids, shirts, pub crawl, etc. The PMC is meant for those crazy enduro nuts that want to be self-supportive. Very few riders might enjoy riding for 6-8 hours, possible riding and route-finding alone for most of that time.

Well said. Epic Rides knows how to put on a good time; they are the best race promoter in the state of Arizona. $65 is a descent price for this race when you look at all station aids, shirts, pub crawl, etc. The PMC is meant for those crazy enduro nuts that want to be self-supportive. Very few riders might enjoy riding for 6-8 hours, possible riding and route-finding alone for most of that time.
    Roger that - very well put. Todd puts on one hell of an event that draws many people to the area (Prescott in this case) that would otherwise never show up.

If I hear one more person use that phrase -- "why pay xx$ when I can ride the course for free?" -- I'm going to puke. Seriously...that kind of attitude smacks of eliticism in an ironic, back-handed way. There is so much good that $65 does for the community that you live in, I'm surprised that you would poo-poo that kind of money.

I'm always happy to hand over my money to any cycling event, be it road or mountain. Yes the courses are those I can ride on my own, but that's not the point.

And trust me...NOBODY is getting rich off these fees.

Thx...Doug

Too many Sedonuts...
    Roger that - very well put. Todd puts on one hell of an event that draws many people to the area (Prescott in this case) that would otherwise never show up.

If I hear one more person use that phrase -- "why pay xx$ when I can ride the course for free?" -- I'm going to puke. Seriously...that kind of attitude smacks of eliticism in an ironic, back-handed way. There is so much good that $65 does for the community that you live in, I'm surprised that you would poo-poo that kind of money.

I'm always happy to hand over my money to any cycling event, be it road or mountain. Yes the courses are those I can ride on my own, but that's not the point.

And trust me...NOBODY is getting rich off these fees.

Thx...Doug
    Wow, for once, we agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    I think I hated Skull Valley more than Columbine.

I think it was the mental anguish when I thought I was near the top of Columbine and then saw that I was no where close (I hadn't pre-rode) that is making it loom larger in my mind than the skull valley sodomy. So to be fair...they are both wicked!!
    Salvation Outdoor

yeah...but it's paved, so it doesn't count
    I'd still suggest it deserves a shout out.....on my rookie whiskey (25proof) that climb ruined me for the rest of the day...by the time I got to dirt my legs were jelly.....lesson learned, conserve since the climbs only get tougher
    Last edited by bigdudecycling; 02-02-2009 at 11:17 AM.
    Salvation Outdoor

I'd still suggest it deserves a shout out.....on my rookie whiskey (25proof) that climb ruined me for the rest of the day...but the time I got to dirt my legs were jelly.....
    true...that is a little S**t of a grade right before you get to the dirt...it can get you if your not
    ready for it.
    Darwin was an Optimist

Hey Maxwell (and any first timers from out of town)...one thing to keep in mind is this thing starts at 5300'...oxygen is in shorter supply. so try not to get caught up in the excitement of the start and go out to hard, much better to pace your self .
    Darwin was an Optimist

The real question is, will the Big Purple Pimp be there to provide encouragement and hoes!!
    Salvation Outdoor

A plethora of pinatas
    The real question is, will the Big Purple Pimp be there to provide encouragement and hoes!!
    Good question! I am on the fence. I am doing the 24HITOP and then going to decide if I am riding the Whiskey or doing the Purple Pimp thing.
    Marty

Salty Dog
    For those who haven't yet done it, here's a link to most of the course from last year. Some spots are missing since my gps shut off a couple times due to low battery or operator. I will blame it on low battery.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...kValue=5750575

It's nice to see it on a map and see the elevation profile along with miles and such :-)

I hope to see all of you there this year.

Salty Dog, thanks for posting that, should be very helpful.
    that little climb just before the 40mi mark is cramp city
    we should be close by and I will have water if anyone needs it.
    (it's not an official stop...and your almost home free at that point)

good luck everyone
    Darwin was an Optimist

Salty Dog

Not quite the Quad...

Salty Dog, thanks for posting that, should be very helpful.
    that little climb just before the 40mi mark is cramp city
    we should be close by and I will have water if anyone needs it.
    (it's not an official stop...and your almost home free at that point)

good luck everyone
    I was just looking at the elevation information from the Whiskey 50. Total elevation gained was about 7,500 feet. Last week, in 33.11 miles doing the Quad, we climbed 6,994 feet. There is substantial gain coming out of Prescott to the dirt, and then again from Skull Valley up to the point where you turn off the road into the forest, with some short climbs still along the way.

For an intermediate rider in decent shape the 50 is easily done, but the climb up from Skull Valley can be boring, and if it's hot, like it was in 2006, it can be tough.

I really like the idea of having water along the way.

I remember the ice cream sandwiches at the Skull Valley aid station. Yummy stuff.

aka Diesel
    CJ-... Guess my first name is Wimpy (Miss Wimpy if you're nasty!), because after enough naysaying, I am officially punking out of the 50! 25 is enough punishment for me, this time around.

Too many Sedonuts...
    CJ-... Guess my first name is Wimpy (Miss Wimpy if you're nasty!), because after enough naysaying, I am officially punking out of the 50! 25 is enough punishment for me, this time around.
    What? Ex-squeeze me? Is this CK posting or was your computer hijacked by JUDAS ISCARIOTE? What happened to the angry samurai warrior, the shield maiden of Rohan that made a pact to complete the 50?

Has Elvis left the building?

Was this just a flash in the pan?

Are you writing checks you can't cash?

Has the fat lady sung?

Inquiring minds need to know...

Do I need to remind you of what we are? What we stand for? What we did when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? (Just roll with me on that one)

aka Diesel
    What? Ex-squeeze me? Is this CK posting or was your computer hijacked by JUDAS ISCARIOTE? What happened to the angry samurai warrior, the shield maiden of Rohan that made a pact to complete the 50?

Has Elvis left the building?

Was this just a flash in the pan?

Are you writing checks you can't cash?

Has the fat lady sung?

Inquiring minds need to know...

Do I need to remind you of what we are? What we stand for? What we did when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? (Just roll with me on that one)

Iscariote? He who answered the crowing of cocks? You compare me to this man?

Reeeaaally?

Would Iscariote have gleefully off-roaded in the Galactica ala Betty Paige, under the moonlight, with nary a flicker of fear?

Would Elvis the Pelvis have stood next to you, flask in hand, brazenly shouting, GO FALCONS, while wiping his under-arms with that Cardinals towel, in an arena full of angry Cards' fans, as did I?

Do I look like I would flash... wait... what was the question?

Bad checks and fat ladies belting out the final notes of betrayal?

DO YOU EVEN KNOW ME? DO I EVEN KNOW YOU???

I think I told you earlier... my intentions for bowing out had only to do with the purest desire to be there waiting for YOU this time, cold beer extended in hand, the way you so kindly did for me after the Quad.

I am wounded.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Iscariote? He who answered the crowing of cocks? You compare me to this man?

Reeeaaally?

Would Iscariote have gleefully off-roaded in the Galactica ala Betty Paige, under the moonlight, with nary a flicker of fear?

Would Elvis the Pelvis have stood next to you, flask in hand, brazenly shouting, GO FALCONS, while wiping his under-arms with that Cardinals towel, in an arena full of angry Cards' fans, as did I?

Do I look like I would flash... wait... what was the question?

Bad checks and fat ladies belting out the final notes of betrayal?

DO YOU EVEN KNOW ME? DO I EVEN KNOW YOU???

I think I told you earlier... my intentions for bowing out had only to do with the purest desire to be there waiting for YOU this time, cold beer extended in hand, the way you so kindly did for me after the Quad.

I am wounded.
    While touching and somewhat domestic of you, (for the same firebird that finished the quad even after a night of drinking and brawling) I am still disappointed. If this is your way of saying, "I know my limits and I must respect them" then I would say, dost thou know thyself? (although the thought of a nicely chilled and lovingly handled beer at the end IS appealing...)

Everyone on the planet (including that wise-ass-know-it-all owl) knows we can finish the 25.

But only the gods know what is in store for us in the 50. Don't you want to find out what they know? This cock is not only crowing but throwing down the gauntlet.

The naysayers don't get us. Jump the fence and run with the Mustangs, baby...

What would Bettie Page do?????

aka Diesel
    While touching and somewhat domestic of you, (for the same firebird that finished the quad even after a night of drinking and brawling) I am still disappointed. If this is your way of saying, "I know my limits and I must respect them" then I would say, dost thou know thyself? (although the thought of a nicely chilled and lovingly handled beer at the end IS appealing...)

Everyone on the planet (including that wise-ass-know-it-all owl) knows we can finish the 25.

But only the gods know what is in store for us in the 50. Don't you want to find out what they know? This cock is not only crowing but throwing down the gauntlet.

The naysayers don't get us. Jump the fence and run with the Mustangs, baby...

Ahh, but who is the cock? And what does he want from me?
    That is to say, what crows within one, does not always crow for another! Even in the case of that nosy owl who kept asking WHOOOO drank all the Peppermint Schnapps that night on the hill, we can only keen for the sound of our own inner voice, beckoning us to reach deeper.

For me, I want but to reach deeply into a cooler filled with Tecate and chilled Sambuca. I KNOW I can do the 50... love me or hate me (it's still an obsession), I would quit only when the paramedics pried the Gu from my cold dead fingers. You know this. I know this. What anyone else thinks,... meh.

I must sleep on this.
    Dreams of cocks and mustangs... ... will I get more than an hour?

Too many Sedonuts...
    Ahh, but who is the cock? And what does he want from me?
    That is to say, what crows within one, does not always crow for another! Even in the case of that nosy owl who kept asking WHOOOO drank all the Peppermint Schnapps that night on the hill, we can only keen for the sound of our own inner voice, beckoning us to reach deeper.

For me, I want but to reach deeply into a cooler filled with Tecate and chilled Sambuca. I KNOW I can do the 50... love me or hate me (it's still an obsession), I would quit only when the paramedics pried the Gu from my cold dead fingers. You know this. I know this. What anyone else thinks,... meh.

I must sleep on this.
    Dreams of cocks and mustangs... ... will I get more than an hour?
    Sleep on it if you will...but when was the last time that inner voice lied? And when were they different? Uh huh...

See you on the 50.

And we all know who drank that Schnapps. As does the rabbit in the sky...he was watching you...

This Mustang is done bucking for tonight.

Professional Amateur
    Did the PM function break or something?

Salty Dog

I can't believe, for even a moment...

Sleep on it if you will...but when was the last time that inner voice lied? And when were they different? Uh huh...

See you on the 50.

And we all know who drank that Schnapps. As does the rabbit in the sky...he was watching you...

This Mustang is done bucking for tonight.
    CJ, I can't believe CK is even considering bowing out of the 50. After the Quad, it's a mere walk in the park.

How do you two think you would feel to see me finish the 50, knowing you had done JUST 25? If an old guy like me can do it, I think you two younguns can too...

CK, do NOT be a weenie...

Tommy

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    CJ, I can't believe CK is even considering bowing out of the 50. After the Quad, it's a mere walk in the park.

How do you two think you would feel to see me finish the 50, knowing you had done JUST 25? If an old guy like me can do it, I think you two younguns can too...

CK, do NOT be a weenie...

Tommy
    Thank you Tommy. You are a scholar and a gentleman. And you may think you're an "old guy" but you're still young at heart. I'll be right there with you.

Members who have read this thread: 0