mtbr member

where to try on and buy five ten shoes and Fox Armor in the valley?

My old downhill armor died in the garage heat. I rode and crashed and 3 months later my fractured hand is still messed up and can't ride. But want to start getting gear ready for next time

I have ridden Sidi size 44 MTB shoes or (10.5 for running shoes) for decades and they fit perfectly but the hard plastic soles are like ice skates when trying to climb rocks with loose on them. I want to try on fiveten shoes to consider going to flats to learn my skills again since i hadn't ridden in the last decade and don't deal like i did when i was 20 years old.

I also need armor for arms and legs to cover the 10" of road rash on my legs and arms now. Looking D30 Fox or something stronger for high speed slides that i won't happen next time.

Thanks for the help
    Chris

Just another half mile...
    I used to wear Sidi's back in the day too. Switched over to 5.10's and flats a few years ago and love them. I was at REI the other day and saw that they carry both 5.10 shoes and Fox pads plus a few others online.

Quote Originally Posted by cytocycle View Post
    My old downhill armor died in the garage heat. I rode and crashed and 3 months later my fractured hand is still messed up and can't ride. But want to start getting gear ready for next time

I have ridden Sidi size 44 MTB shoes or (10.5 for running shoes) for decades and they fit perfectly but the hard plastic soles are like ice skates when trying to climb rocks with loose on them. I want to try on fiveten shoes to consider going to flats to learn my skills again since i hadn't ridden in the last decade and don't deal like i did when i was 20 years old.

I also need armor for arms and legs to cover the 10" of road rash on my legs and arms now. Looking D30 Fox or something stronger for high speed slides that i won't happen next time.

Thanks for the help
    Chris

mtbr member
    Thanks Epicrider i am having a hard time finding the clipless but will check again.
    Which model 5.10 did you get? so many models and so confusing

Thanks Epicrider i am having a hard time finding the clipless but will check again.
    Which model 5.10 did you get? so many models and so confusing
    I wear the five ten Freeriders for $100. Super comfy and stick on the pedals and have held up to two seasons of AZ riding so far. I run the Spank Spike Platform Pedals which have a wide footprint for my big feet.

mtbr member
    I can understand wanting to try them on but Backcountry does free returns if you order the wrong size. The Kestrel and Hellcat's are the two most popular 5.10 shoes that are clipless. I'd stick with the plan to just go all in on flats. Then you can go Freerider, Freerider Pro, Contact or Spitfire....I have the Freerider Pros and they are fantastic. The grip is almost unbelievable on the pedals and obviously great when you have to walk on rocks.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    k2rider thanks for your reply i think clips made me lazy on how to properly bunny hop and bike control. I am going to go back to starting on drills. I will check out some flats, and i guess now i need to look for shin guards :-)

I am Walt

where to try on and buy five ten shoes and Fox Armor in the valley?

I just picked these up from Backcountry, and am loving them thus far. Iím a clipless guy, and wanted these for my trail bike on my Shimano M9020 pedals. I highly recommend these.
    https://www.backcountry.com/five-ten...BoCJTEQAvD_BwE

Note that you can order multiple sizes and styles from Backcountry, and just return what doesnít fit or you donít like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    k2rider thanks for your reply i think clips made me lazy on how to properly bunny hop and bike control. I am going to go back to starting on drills. I will check out some flats, and i guess now i need to look for shin guards :-)
    You're welcome. I'm lucky enough to live within 45 minutes of Jenson USA so I can try on almost anything. I don't wear any protection except on "big" rides where I'm flying like Downieville and the flats haven't been an issue on my shins. I know some people have some major learning curves though. I guess I was lucky.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Update - Tried on Freerider Pro in a 10.5 (which had my little tow pretty pushed into the toe box side, and the shoe creased there - so kinda afraid to go my normal size). The 11 fit good but had to be laced up a lot tighter. I think i will buy the 11 Freerider pro this weekend from REI incase i have any of the delaminating of sole issues and to be sure i get the latest version. Thanks for all the help, and then i'll dig out my old pedals or just get some chesters to start with

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Rage Cycles has a good selection of 5-10ís

mtbr member
    Update - Tried on Freerider Pro in a 10.5 (which had my little tow pretty pushed into the toe box side, and the shoe creased there - so kinda afraid to go my normal size). The 11 fit good but had to be laced up a lot tighter. I think i will buy the 11 Freerider pro this weekend from REI incase i have any of the delaminating of sole issues and to be sure i get the latest version. Thanks for all the help, and then i'll dig out my old pedals or just get some chesters to start with
    I recently bought Chesters for my new Tracer, mostly because I didn't feel like swapping pedals all the time or spending $100+ on another set. The Chesters may not have the "bling" but they have all the grip of my other high end. blingy pedals. I'll probably never buy anything but Chesters in the future.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Black and Sticky
    Well I bought into the 510 hype and bought a pair of 510 Stealth clipless. Ordered them via REI. BOTTOM LINE: I donít like them. They fit me poorly and are heavy and hot. Of course I understand there are so many people that like 510ís that my experience must be unique. Iím not trying to dump on 510. So if anyone in the Phoenix area is interested in a pair, I would be happy to GIVE you the Stealthís. Your job would be to donate a few $ to a charity of your choice. The shoes are Europe size 43,US 10. Shoot me a message and the shoes are yours. The shoes were used maybe 4 or 5 times and thus almost new. Send me a PM.

Bob

Model is Kestrel, sole design is Stealth.
    Last edited by Bituman; 05-04-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Correct the model designation...oops.
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eonicks View Post
    Rage Cycles has a good selection of 5-10ís
    Thanks for the tip, but My friend and I went to Rage in Dec at the new location so you can see it's been a long time. and the 3 guys behind the counter didn't even acknowledge us. Totally blew us off. Luckily Sonoran Cycles on I-17 was glad to take my Pivot/DVO money and expertly setup my bike, with excellent follow up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    Well I bought into the 510 hype and bought a pair of 510 Stealth clipless. Ordered them via REI. BOTTOM LINE: I donít like them. They fit me poorly and are heavy and hot. Of course I understand there are so many people that like 510ís that my experience must be unique. Iím not trying to dump on 510. So if anyone in the Phoenix area is interested in a pair, I would be happy to GIVE you the Stealthís. Your job would be to donate a few $ to a charity of your choice. The shoes are Europe size 43,US 10. Shoot me a message and the shoes are yours. The shoes were used maybe 4 or 5 times and thus almost new. Send me a PM.

Bob
    Thanks for the offer, they sell off ebay pretty easily actually i tried to buy a couple sets to just try used. Unfortunately not my size. Yeah that's been my worry about weight compared to my sidi dominators which weigh nothing and mesh venting is awesome but grip is awful on loose over rock on the sole. I need flats relearn biking skills. The freerider seems to be the only one with a little ventilation but it's too flexible for me, so i will how bad it is. If you ordered them from REI you can return them even used within the 2 year period. I was going to use REI because if the soles delaminated like in the past.

mtbr member
    I don't know what Stealth's are and don't see them on the 5.10 website. Maybe he bought the Impact? I know they are stupid heavy. The Freerider Pro on the flip side is crazy light. As least as light as my Northwave clipless shoes.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    I was just in Landis Cycles on Southern (Tempe) and was looking at flats and the discussion morphed into 510's. I was told the "Stealth" designation (circular pattern) is the type of sole design. They have Free Riders for $98 in black. They looked like they were pretty well ventilated. I didn't inquire into other colors or models. Good guys in there!
    2015 Pivot Mach 429 Carbon
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert

I prolly wouldn't buy the 5.10 clipless either, but for flats the sticky rubber works great and stick almost as good as clipless.

If you bought the shoes at REI, you have up to a year to return them if you don't like them, which is the main reason I buy shoes there. I have returned several pairs of shoes over the years even after wearing them for a while. Sometimes it takes a while to ID issues that you can't feel with a store try on. But I think you have to be a Co Op member. If you don't have to have a receipt, they can look it up in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post

Bob

Model is Kestrel, sole design is Stealth.

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    I prolly wouldn't buy the 5.10 clipless either, but for flats the sticky rubber works great and stick almost as good as clipless.

If you bought the shoes at REI, you have up to a year to return them if you don't like them, which is the main reason I buy shoes there. I have returned several pairs of shoes over the years even after wearing them for a while. Sometimes it takes a while to ID issues that you can't feel with a store try on. But I think you have to be a Co Op member. If you don't have to have a receipt, they can look it up in their system.
    Yep I have returned quite a few things to REI over the years. Been a member for over 25 years. Just a few weeks ago took back a Topeak floor pump that stopped working. Unfortunately these shoes are over a year old. Even so I would have felt bad taking them back. I knew from the start they were heavy and should return them. Felt like I would get used to them. Just never did. So they sit in my garage collecting dust.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall