Where to stay in Scottsdale for bike vacation?- Mtbr.com
    PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

Where to stay in Scottsdale for bike vacation?

Getting ready to book the flight for long weekend in beginning Feb.
    Bringing my Enduro 29 with me.
    I would prefer to pedal to trailhead, but it looks like all the riding is outside of town a ways.
    Do I need a rental car?
    What area should I be looking at for accommodations?

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post
    I would prefer to pedal to trailhead, but it looks like all the riding is outside of town a ways.
    Do I need a rental car?
    I'm in Tucson, but would highly recommend you get a rental, if for no other reason than to be able to get around to go eat etc. PHX is spread out well! if you can fit the bike in too, it'll open up more riding opportunities.
    It's all Here. Now.

Closekids.com
    Where are you planning on riding?
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    It looks like the majority of riding is in McDowell Mountain Park. VRBO does have a couple places listed pedaling distance from there.

It looks too far from Scottsdale to pedal out there. Or to pedal to most of the rides for that matter.
    I will be there for 5 full days. I hate to waste $300+ on a rental minivan if it's going to go unused a majority of the time.

mtbr member
    I've traveled there a number of times to ride, definitely rent a truck or van so you can go wherever you want to ride. SO many places to ride!! Finding a rental, near trails, this time of year, at your price point, etc. etc. is pretty much impossible. Plus you'll want to explore. Depending on how the temps are, you might be able to get a day in Sedona snuck in. It's 2 hours ish from Scottsdale.

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    Thanks eDog!
    ^^^that's what I needed to know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post
    Do I need a rental car?
    If you have an Enduro 29, I recommended South Mtn. All the big trails off the top of the Mtn. In scottsdale you can do Windgate, Bell and Sunrise (DH runs from east to west). The west side of the McDowells has enough rocks to make bike bike work. There are some trails in the center of town (PMP) too. The main others are on South Mtn and staying in Scottsdale is 40-45 minute drive. If you perfer less rocky and gnar trails then there is stuff in the area. You might be able to get by without a car, but probably not. Depends on how many days of riding.

BTW... with 5 days of riding rent a car. Also McDowell Mtn park (east side of the McDowell Mnts) is lame on an Enduro. Great for XC bikes.

Check out trailforks to find the trails you want to ride. There is quit a bit of great riding here, but you can get lost on where it is if you do not know the overall landscape.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    I am looking at staying closer to South Mtn now.
    Looks to be the better riding.
    Might stay close to Tempe/ASU for good food and a bit more upbeat atmosphere.
    I am not looking for quiet desert solitude. I got enough of that when I was a Marine.

Thanks to all who have replied here,

Gregory

mtbr member
    5 days? Wherever you stay, you'll be driving on a MTB trip in PHX as all the riding areas are spread out all over the valley. Don't stress out about it too much.
    Carpe Diem!!

parenting for gnarness
    Scottsdale has great places to stay, but close to the trails the prices go up.
    The McDowell Mtns are burly, not great tech or flow, just lots of rocks and not great for riding. I ride them a lot cause I live here, but its not the best the Valley offers. Browns Ranch in far north Scottsdale is a lot of fun, pretty and flowy but all XC.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Upbeat atmosphere ie nightlife is Tempe for college age S. Scottsdale aka Old Town for mid 20-s to early 30-s, N. Scottsdale for cougars, downtown Gilbert is a mix of 21-60, Carefree/Cave Creek for cowboy & biker bars. Go on Fri night to Buffalo Chip to ride the bulls.

For riding South Mountain, Phoenix Mountain Preserve of Freeway 51 & Northern, Hawes, Sedona. I'd say 2 days at South Mt. and 1 to 2 days Sedona.
    Riding in red, night life in blue. That little tiny circle is Papago. Don't go unless you are bored and need an hour to kill. Traffic on the 10 near South Mountain is a mutha f*ckin nightmare from 6-9 am N. bound.

Where to stay in Scottsdale for bike vacation?-local.ride.map.png
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Never ridden Brown's...how does Browns compare to Hawes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by escrowdog View Post
    Never ridden Brown's...how does Browns compare to Hawes?
    Similar dirt, but Hawes has more steep ups and downs. Browns is flatter and less techy in general. However there are some good low speed tech moves on Diablo and some of the new stuff west of Browns Mtn.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Similar dirt, but Hawes has more steep ups and downs. Browns is flatter and less techy in general. However there are some good low speed tech moves on Diablo and some of the new stuff west of Browns Mtn.
    Thanks Joe. I just watched some vids, definitely looks flatter/flowy.

Any ride you could recommend a little further out of town that we could knock down 20 miles or so? Like up in Tonto? I'll be out next week.

mtbr member
    where are you starting from and what kind of terrain? There are so many options and it depends on what you want. It is hard to recommend something unless I know what you are looking for.
    Joe

mtbr member
    where are you starting from and what kind of terrain? There are so many options and it depends on what you want. It is hard to recommend something unless I know what you are looking for.
    Staying in Mesa, but I'll be all over the valley...or even Sedona if it's not freezing. I love Flagstaff, singletrack, that's why I was asking about Tonto, someplace that's not crowded, more mountainous. Not looking for chunky tech or anything crazy, I'll be hopefully bringing my new Ripley.

Meatbomb
    If you want climbing outside of town maybe try Mt Ord....

mtbr member
    Staying in Mesa, but I'll be all over the valley...or even Sedona if it's not freezing. I love Flagstaff, singletrack, that's why I was asking about Tonto, someplace that's not crowded, more mountainous. Not looking for chunky tech or anything crazy, I'll be hopefully bringing my new Ripley.
    Gold Canyon or Arizona trail from PicketPost Trailhead south either to the Gila or just at drop in Martinez Canyon and back. Some tech, but nothing crazy. Perfect for the Ripley. Both are east of Mesa. I would ride there more, but they are just so far from me.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Gold Canyon or Arizona trail from PicketPost Trailhead south either to the Gila or just at drop in Martinez Canyon and back. Some tech, but nothing crazy. Perfect for the Ripley. Both are east of Mesa. I would ride there more, but they are just so far from me.
    Thanks! Truly appreciate the help! I love the Gold Canyon area, but I've only hiked there. Beautiful scenery.

Just another half mile...
    I would recommend the Lollipop loop a on the Black Canyon Trail.. Best section of the BCT trail north of town. Scenic back country riding at it best. Take extra water and food. Most peeps take 4 to 5 hours to ride the lollipop.

Thanks Joe. I just watched some vids, definitely looks flatter/flowy.

Any ride you could recommend a little further out of town that we could knock down 20 miles or so? Like up in Tonto? I'll be out next week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    I would recommend the Lollipop loop a on the Black Canyon Trail.. Best section of the BCT trail north of town. Scenic back country riding at it best. Take extra water and food. Most peeps take 4 to 5 hours to ride the lollipop.
    Cool, been wanting to see that area as well! Figured it would be a nice time of year there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    I love this loop. 23 miles, but not an easy 23. Always climbing or descending and terrain makes it hard to go fast. I think 200 yards is the longest straight section. Nothing very technical, but not easy miles either. You have to think about the trail and have good skills. I live in the area (15 min south) so have done this ride a number times. However it is a longer drive. Very similar to Azt Picketpost south. I rarely ride there since it is so far away from me (1:30 minutes).
    Joe

mtbr member
    I guess I'm one of the few that's not in love with the lollipop on the BCT. It would be a great training ride but nowhere near as FUN as the Crave Creek Cactus Cup loop which is probably my single favorite ride in PHX. Went to Gold Canyon last year for the for the first time and had a blast. Lots of twists and turns with small up and downs but very fun and whatever you do, DO NOT MISS LUNCH AT THE HANDLEBAR PUB IN APACHE JUNCTION.

Don't confuse "flowy" with "pedally" at Brown's Ranch. The Diablo stuff Joe mentioned is pretty much the highlight out there IMO. The other bonus in the great parking lot and real bathrooms/shade areas.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I guess I'm one of the few that's not in love with the lollipop on the BCT. It would be a great training ride but nowhere near as FUN as the Crave Creek Cactus Cup loop which is probably my single favorite ride in PHX.
    I have done both many times. C4 is fun loop, but BCT Little Pan is total destination ride. It is harder despite the similar miles and takes longer. Like 40% longer timewise. On the BCT you feel really way out there in a remote backcountry sort of way. C4 is fun, but just not the same.
    Joe

mtbr member
    We ended up doing the C4 loop last Friday. Not having been there before, we parked at the bike shop and rode to Spur Cross on the marked "trail" that ran along the road, it's pretty much a waste of energy, should have just stayed on the road...live and learn. Once we got past "security" at the Spur Cross gate and got going it was better. Climbing out of the park was nice, albeit rocky, spectacular views there. Definitely felt more XC until we cut over to Go John and Quartz, that was more what we were after. Did the full 22 miles.

Rest of my rides were out of Mesa off Ellsworth/Usary, East of Hawes, some really nice flowy trails all over there. Just had a blast here and definitely more what I was after. Although I set out on Pass Mountain Trail loop and should have taken the lack of bike tracks as a clue...total hike a bike. Glad I continued around the back side, the exposure and views were fantastic!! But wow, definitely not a bike a trail.

Thanks for the recommendations! Can't wait to get back in April and see Gold Canyon and perhaps Black Canyon if I have time. I love your state! Hoping to buy a home there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where to stay in Scottsdale for bike vacation?-img_0887.jpg  

Where to stay in Scottsdale for bike vacation?-img_0890.jpg  

Where to stay in Scottsdale for bike vacation?-img_0921.jpg  

Where to stay in Scottsdale for bike vacation?-img_0924.jpg  

Where to stay in Scottsdale for bike vacation?-76963197-657e-4b13-a689-ff7b04b565bf.jpg