mtbr member

Where to ride after the rain?

I have off after 930AM tomorrow and wanted to go for a longer ride (I was originally planning on BCT out and back from bumblebee rd to the top of antelope). But itís supposed to rain all night. I know PMP is great after a rain but was hopping to do a longer ride then I usually do there and go someplace I donít ride all the time.

Any suggestions? Last Friday I did Mcdowell / Browns a lot of it was fine but some of it was wet sand that caked into my tires.

mtbr member
    Cave Creek Regional Park has been great after a rain in my experience. Traction was perfect last Sat after the rains and the Creek crossing wasn't bad at all.

mtbr member
    Far as I can tell, everywhere in the valley is amazing after rain, as long as the trails are just damp and not soaking wet. Favorite time to ride.
    Binary ē Transition Bikes ē Demon Dirt ē

Ahhh the pain....
    Rain totals so far and from the forecast tonight and tomorrow look pretty minimal. I don't think any locations near the metro area will be too wet. PMP today was hardly damp; not a puddle to be found. There's a section just south of the 32nd street entrance that gets a little sticky and it was solid as can be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I must be doing it wrong.

Last Friday my tires were so laden with mud trying to ride from Cave Creek Regional Park to Spur Cross I had to turn around.

I'm hoping the Maricopa Trail will be in shape by Sunday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
    I must be doing it wrong.

Last Friday my tires were so laden with mud trying to ride from Cave Creek Regional Park to Spur Cross I had to turn around.

I'm hoping the Maricopa Trail will be in shape by Sunday.
    I rode the C4 route in the rain and it was muddy up between Spur Cross and the park. Especially the section that goes downhill and across to meet the Go John trail. That does get nasty in the rain.

Last week I rode military, flat rock, quartz, go john, overton, and slate as well as the flat back around to surrey. I think the stuff on the rockier slopes fares better

The .05 percent
    Snowbowl

Meatbomb
    Anywhere you want to ride....Az sucks up the rain.

mtbr member
    I have no idea of the weather pattern going from SoCal into AZ but I can tell you what was supposed to be a "light steady rain" in Oceanside was an mostly steady pounding with some thunder and lightning thrown in for good measure. Consequently, you may get more than what was expected.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    I rode the C4 route in the rain and it was muddy up between Spur Cross and the park. Especially the section that goes downhill and across to meet the Go John trail. That does get nasty in the rain.

Last week I rode military, flat rock, quartz, go john, overton, and slate as well as the flat back around to surrey. I think the stuff on the rockier slopes fares better
    Yes, it was precisely the section you mentioned...between Spur Cross and the park...that my tires turned into mud magnets.

The part of the trail in CCRP wasn't so bad.

Things should be good for this Sunday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    I have off after 930AM tomorrow and wanted to go for a longer ride (I was originally planning on BCT out and back from bumblebee rd to the top of antelope). But itís supposed to rain all night. I know PMP is great after a rain but was hopping to do a longer ride then I usually do there and go someplace I donít ride all the time.

Any suggestions? Last Friday I did Mcdowell / Browns a lot of it was fine but some of it was wet sand that caked into my tires.
    I hit the Bumblebee-Antelope section of the BCT today about an hour after the rain stopped. A little tacky, but no sticky mud. Seems to dry out pretty fast: much drier on the retrun trip. With heavier, more sustained rainfall I could see a potential for death mud in some spots. Do watch out for the cow pies after a rain as they take on the consistency of chocolate pudding. Don't ask how I know.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Riding conditions in Sedona will be excellent.

No known cure
    I haven't been here long, but White Tanks is the closest riding to me and drains nicely. If I wasn't out of town, I'd do Mesquite to Goat Camp, then Ford Canyon.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Anywhere without mud...

Seriously as said before our trails drain really well unless itís a monsoon. So pick your favorite spot