EDR

Where do you store food at night while bike packing?

The date of my first overnighter is approaching very fast. With all the research I've done in the past year the one thing I have never asked or saw addressed is where to keep food at night.

Typically when camping its a bad idea to keep pizza and homemade burritos in your tent at night. I'm not looking to invite any meat eating animals into my sleeping bag, what do you guys do with your food?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I'll put that stuff in a ziplock & leave it in my pack. Hang it from a tree if available.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

EDR

Re: Where do you store food at night while bike packing?

I guess I'll have to plan on carrying 25 feet of small rope or something.

The options I can think of are either bring rope and hang it from a tree, put it in zip lock bags and keep it in my pack in my tent, ( assuming I bring my one man tent), not a great idea. Or keep it in zip lock bags in my Camelback and leave it 30 or 40 feet from my tent. I think that will only invite every scavenger there is to rummage through my camelback at night.

mtbr member
    The only time I would really worry about critters is bear country or popular places/urban areas where racoons are known to be around.

I've never had a problem bikepacking, and unless there is bear sign nearby I haven't ever worried too much about it. Places I have seen sign I usually store the food a couple hundred yards from camp, under a pile of rocks. Solid containers which can also withstand rodents are best. Absent bear sign I usually just keep the food in my pack next to me. No problems with bears, ever.

Have had a couple run ins with racoons. First one, coon went into my tent and into my pack for some food I left unattended. Thing was smart enough to undo zippers rather than tear the material. Second one was camping in Santa cruz with two guys who had never gone camping before. I remember having to shoo off a pack of raccoons in the middle of the night that were dragging my friends camelback into the bushes. He had left it out, and was snoring away in his tent oblivious. Next night after I told them to put all their food in the truck, the other friend woke to coons entering his tent after he decided to store his food in there rather than the truck. Fun times....

mtbr member
    While my bikepacking experience is limited, it goes without saying that any backpacking rules also apply.
    You will want to keep your foods in airtight containers or large well sealed ziplock bags, and hang in a tree, not necessarily high but just above the ground. Your worry won't so much be bears or large mammals but squirrels and small animals that will eat through your bag to get to your food if inside.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxBenK View Post
    Your worry won't so much be bears or large mammals but squirrels and small animals that will eat through your bag to get to your food if inside.
    What he said.

beater

Where do you store food at night while bike packing?

Bikepacking requirements are pretty much in line with ultralight backpacking. Check out the forums at Backpacking Lite. BPL sells some light, odor/waterproof bags pretty cheaply. They're called Ursacks, IIRC. I've had good experiences with them, but haven't done any reading in the last few years to see if they're still has well-regarded as they were.

bland

rat sacks

I use these when I guide on off corridor trails in the canyon when our campsites don't have ammo cans. They work really well against rodents birds and ring tail cats.

Armored Outdoor Gear, Inc.* Home of the Ratsack Cache Bag since 2002

banned
    Jan 2013
    Hang it from a tree.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Never underestimate the intelligence of raccoons - suckers are very smart. Me and a friend went camp/riding in Arkansas last year and he had sausages and meat in the cooler - darn racoon opened the lid of the cooler and helped himself to all of the meat. Next morning, breakfast wasn't as good as we thought it was going to be --- at least for us - the raccoon had an awesome one
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    I use these when I guide on off corridor trails in the canyon when our campsites don't have ammo cans. They work really well against rodents birds and ring tail cats.

Armored Outdoor Gear, Inc.* Home of the Ratsack Cache Bag since 2002
    I recommend the Ratsack too! I picked one up in Flag about two years ago and it works great. Although the velcro top is so thick and strong it takes almost superhuman strength to get it open sometimes.
    Shit happens...

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I recommend the Ratsack too! I picked one up in Flag about two years ago and it works great. Although the velcro top is so thick and strong it takes almost superhuman strength to get it open sometimes.
    I've seen ravens try to open the sacks with their beaks and claws and the velcro was too strong for them. The only downside to them is their weight. I carry two of the biggest ones they make because I need to stash enough food for 5 people for 4 days and it adds ~ 3 lbs to my pack. A bike packer could probably use one of the smallest ones they have and be fine. I've left them stashed at the top of horseshoe mesa for 2 days and nights on a few trips with out any problems.

My other ride is your mom
    I don't bother with any sacks of any kind, I've never had an issue whatsoever. I keep my food in my backpack, which serves as my pillow at night. I've never been bikepacking with anyone who bothers doing anything different either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If you don't travel in bear country and never leave it unattended, that would probably work although you may have to do battle with rodents in the middle of the night depending on where you travel. I hang mine.
    My cycle tour blog; raymoorerides.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Where do you store food at night while bike packing?

I've always just brought 50 feet of twine with me, and hoisted the pack up into a tree away from where I'm sleeping. Even if there are no bears (like here in long island) there are still feral dogs, raccoons, and other wildlife happy to go after your food. The danger of an encounter is one thing, the risk of being miles out with no food is another.