When should I do National?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daugela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    437

    When should I do National?

    I'm preparing to try National soon for the first time and was wondering if this "adventure" calls for a guide. Especially for someone who's only done Beverly, Javelina and DC on SoMo.

    I'd love to ride with someone sometime and learn the trail from their experiences. Anyone willing to hold my hand?

    I've got Wed/Thurs/Fri off. I usually ride on Wed or Thurs.

    Everytime I ride Javelina, I stop at the beginning of National and look at the gnarly rocks and say - "good grief, do I really want to ride down that?"

  2. #2
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by daugela
    I'm preparing to try National soon for the first time and was wondering if this "adventure" calls for a guide. Especially for someone who's only done Beverly, Javelina and DC on SoMo.

    I'd love to ride with someone sometime and learn the trail from their experiences. Anyone willing to hold my hand?

    I've got Wed/Thurs/Fri off. I usually ride on Wed or Thurs.

    Everytime I ride Javelina, I stop at the beginning of National and look at the gnarly rocks and say - "good grief, do I really want to ride down that?"


    Yes go to National but It would be alot more funn and alot less freaky with a guide. I am not heald up well enough to ride yet but someone here should chime in soon to help you out!! Good luck and have fun Oh what ever you do, when coming down try to go as fast as you can It makes it easier. "pin it to win it"
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

  3. #3
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    I can show you around, if not this weekend, next week would work, it'll be a ghost town at work and I may be able to sneak away one afternoon. I ain't fast going up, but I can talk you through most of the lines, up and down. Pads would be advisable if you're like me and care about your body, if you don't have any I have extras. Lemme know.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daugela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    437

    This coming Wed/Thurs is out.

    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    I can show you around, if not this weekend, next week would work, it'll be a ghost town at work and I may be able to sneak away one afternoon. I ain't fast going up, but I can talk you through most of the lines, up and down. Pads would be advisable if you're like me and care about your body, if you don't have any I have extras. Lemme know.
    That would be great. I ain't fast at going up or coming down. Too new to have credentials. I just need guidance.

    I'm going to pick up some chin guards this week and thought about investing in some elbow pads as well. Not sure about the elbows yet.

    This week Wed/Thurs, I'm taking the family up to Williams to do the Polar Express thing with the kids.

    I'd be available on Friday though. However I'd rather wait another week until Wednesday or Thursday.

    Crickey, I feel helpless knowing I can't even clean the steep left turn decending switchback off of Mormon that connects to Javelina.

  5. #5
    Just Joshin' ya!
    Reputation: PrincipalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,979
    I am up for weekday rides. I can show you national.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

  6. #6
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,297
    I ride National almost every Friday morning with a friend of mine. We go up Mormon and then up National till whenever we feel like then back down National all the way. It's a blast and we'd love to show you around (next Friday if you are interested.) FWIW I plan on riding National this Sunday morning (by myself maybe) you're welcome to join me. I have no problem riding with people that kick my but or ones that I wait for.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,802

    When should I ride National?

    Quote Originally Posted by daugela
    I'm preparing to try National soon for the first time and was wondering if this "adventure" calls for a guide. Especially for someone who's only done Beverly, Javelina and DC on SoMo.
    "
    "When should I ride National?" Now! I have been in the Valley for more than 8 years and probably tried Nation 4 or 5 times over the years and I always finished with the idea that while sections were fun it was generally too hard for me. This summer I tagged along with a group and found that many of the lines on National are not intuitive or obvious. This one ride with a group allowed me to ride more sections of National than I though possible. I have since ventured out 10 -12 more times by myself and am clearing more and more sections. Once you start to clear sections you once though were un-ridable it becomes very addictive. I think it is time for me to tag along on another group ride or 2 to find some more lines. - if I had only done this 8 years ago.

  8. #8
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I ride National almost every Friday morning with a friend of mine. We go up Mormon and then up National till whenever we feel like then back down National all the way. It's a blast and we'd love to show you around (next Friday if you are interested.) FWIW I plan on riding National this Sunday morning (by myself maybe) you're welcome to join me. I have no problem riding with people that kick my but or ones that I wait for.
    Friday looks good for me too. Heck let's make a party of it.

    Check back during the week and if Friday still works for the OP I"ll be there.

    -JB
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  9. #9
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,297
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Friday looks good for me too. Heck let's make a party of it.

    Check back during the week and if Friday still works for the OP I"ll be there.

    -JB


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ruzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    286
    I am 79.6% sure i would be in for a Friday ride on National. I am game for going up Naional and back down or up Mormon down National. It all works for me!


    See ya,
    Ross

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.