When it rains, it pours- Mtbr.com
    Saucy Size

Upset When it rains, it pours

As of five minutes ago, every bike I own has a flat rear tire. WTF? Seriously. Just looked, and sure enough, even my "old" road bike has a flat in the rear. I rode the Lobster Tuesday, and the second I rolled it into the front door the rear went instantly flat. The Stinky had flats in the front in Globe, but as soon as I got it home, a flat in the rear.

I think my house has some kind of rear-wheel-devouring spirit or something. Weird. And not particularly cheap, when you're looking at seven bikes.

Grr.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mr. wonderful
    come clean paul. . .
    yestubes or notubes? inquisitive minds need to know!!

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    come clean paul. . .
    yestubes or notubes? inquisitive minds need to know!!
    One tubeless, six tubes. Two of the tubes are in tires that held failed tubeless systems. That makes three failed tubeless systems, and three failed tubes.

p.

mr. wonderful
    boy, that's what i call a bad tire day. and to think, i'm the one who rode under a ladder today. i wonder if my bad luck took a cosmic deflection your way. sorry bubba.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    As of five minutes ago, every bike I own has a flat rear tire. WTF? Seriously. Just looked, and sure enough, even my "old" road bike has a flat in the rear. I rode the Lobster Tuesday, and the second I rolled it into the front door the rear went instantly flat. The Stinky had flats in the front in Globe, but as soon as I got it home, a flat in the rear.

I think my house has some kind of rear-wheel-devouring spirit or something. Weird. And not particularly cheap, when you're looking at seven bikes.

Grr.

p.
    Whew! He didn't see me......

my guess: KARMA
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Jm.
    mtbr member

Grr.

p.
    I got my first flat in a few months when I was doing spruce mtn shuttles a few days ago. The shitty part was that I had already handed out my extra tube, so I tried patching it. Didn't work, tried repatching, and it only ripped a bigger hole in it. I had to hike down the entire mountain from the top.

Say YES to YES tubes!
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Did you come across any horse **** on the trail?

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Did you come across any horse **** on the trail?
    yep. It was hard to dodge when the sun was going down.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member

The latest marketing trends....

.....indicate that lowering your air pressure increased traction.
    Must be an act of god oh blessed one.

MTBR Tool

Say yes to notubes!

Damn Yestubes - I was seriously contemplating them after 2 crappy let-downs from tubeless systems. I was soon converted back to notubes after 3 pinch flats in 1/2 hr on my arsey 223 rims and T100 attrition.

Occidental Tourist

Full Stable

p.
    It's karma for flaunting the ownership of 7 steeds ;-)
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

caninus xerophilous

Yes Tubes This!

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    I got my first flat in a few months when I was doing spruce mtn shuttles a few days ago. The shitty part was that I had already handed out my extra tube, so I tried patching it. Didn't work, tried repatching, and it only ripped a bigger hole in it. I had to hike down the entire mountain from the top.

Say YES to YES tubes!
    First off, Paul, I hope that your tubes and tires are feeling better. Any system will need some TLC. I suggest you attempt a respooge and reinflation of your tubeless tires before breaking the bead.

Now for my 2 Bliss plug.

After the spectacular Globe extravaganza Punches Doggies’ front tire went low. It’s a Gazzoladi set up with CJ’s house tubeless mix, I call Cactus Spooge. I added between 4-6 oz of Cactus Spooge and reinflated and presto, everything sealed. It was then that I noticed all the little green goobers appearing that represented puntures..

Curious I had to count. I stopped at 100, which was less than halfway around the tire, 20 of the green snot dribbles were on the sidewalls. The count represents 1 year of hard riding, minus four months in Iraq. During that year the tire went low twice, including this time. It never went low on a ride and never went completely flat. On both occasions it was easily repaired by respooging. I reckon the next time I hav to re-spooge I will break the bead and clean out the old spooge.

Most of the puntures were caused by cholla or prickly pear thorns, but there was a healthy dose of larger mesquite, occotillo, and catsclaw thorns as well.

Again, if you go tubeless, consider your riding habits. I ride kinda hard and fast so I run tires with DH casings on the sidewalls, particularly in the rear where the impact loads are greatest.

I ran two non DH tires on the back and blew out the sidewalls, both times running out jumps on “slick rock”. While waiting for a new DH tire I ran a standard Nano Raptor which was one of the casualties. I began to run Yes Tubes in it while waiting for a new Gazzi, and I suffered 6 pinch flats in two months.

OK, I’ll STF now.

Louis

PS: Jm, did you lend out another tube? I remeber bumming one off you in Globe, but like a good golfer I filled in my divot.
    Last edited by SunDog; 05-07-2004 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Mesquite, occotillo and cholla, oh my!

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    First off, Paul, I hope that your tubes and tires are feeling better. Any system will need some TLC. I suggest you attempt a respooge and reinflation of your tubeless tires before breaking the bead.
    Yeah...you know, I've never attempted a respooge. Every time I've pulled the tire off and broken the bead, there's been quite a lot of spooge still inside the tire. Possibly/probably not enough. But I'm buying schraeder bmx tires expressly for the purpose of respooging, so I really ought to at least experiment some.

Next set of tires for El Stinkarooni is Maxxis Mobsters front and back. Not deadly heavy, better sidewall than WTB but not as ridiculously thick and heavy as the Laser casing. Chupacabra is running Mobsters, iirc, and seems pleased. I'm in a similar boat with you: Predictable sidewall cuts when I go with anything light(ish).

And I'm falling quickly out of love with the Weirwolf on the front. It was good while it lasted but I think the fun times are over between us.

p.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog

PS: Jm, did you lend out another tube? I remeber bumming one off you in Globe, but like a good golfer I filled in my divot.

Err...yeah I was just going to keep silent about this, but it is kinda humorous;

That tube that you gave me back...well I lent that out too. We got it out of the box and then said "wait a minute...this can't be right". It was a 20" tube...lol I helped the guy stretch it onto his rim, and he rode down the rest of the way with it...but err..it was kind of interesting to see. I guess some kind of tube is better than no tube (cause rolling down is better than hiking).

caninus xerophilous

At least it wasn't a 700c.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Err...yeah I was just going to keep silent about this, but it is kinda humorous;

That tube that you gave me back...well I lent that out too. We got it out of the box and then said "wait a minute...this can't be right". It was a 20" tube...lol I helped the guy stretch it onto his rim, and he rode down the rest of the way with it...but err..it was kind of interesting to see. I guess some kind of tube is better than no tube (cause rolling down is better than hiking).

That is hilarious. I'm glad you were able to adapt, improvise, and overcome!

When I went for the tube to pay you back, I reached into CJ's bag of tubes, most were not in the boxes, so I thought I'd give you one still in the box. I guess some of the 20 inchers that CJ uses for tubless conversion were mixed in and it never crossed my mind that a non MTB tube would be mixed in.

My appologies sir, and thanks for the laugh. Should be able to correct the situation later this month.

Louis

Jm.
    mtbr member
    No need to "correct it". All is fine. If we get flats, we'll have tubes. I'm not holding out for tubes or anything.

Saucy Size

Good job! At last, success!

Because I know you were all sitting on the edge of your seats wondering what was going to happen with my new tubeless setup: I finally got the goddamned tires to seal up on the Stinky. I went with Mobsters and what I believe is CJ's latest iteration of the spooge recipe: 4 parts slime to 1 part latex to 2 parts water.

But boy was it hard to get the bead to seal. Couldn't do it at all with pumped air. Couldn't do it with CO2. Couldn't do it for about 30 minutes with a gas station compressor, which was very demoralizing. Ended up going home, grabbing my generic Dove diswashing liquid knockoff, and a sports bottle, and repeatedly liberally squirted soap along the bead while trying to inflate. Finally it stuck.

This is the weirdest thing because I've had terrific luck with sealing beads in the past. No idea what I'm doing differently but this project, which normally takes about 20 minutes for both tires, ended up being a 3 hour odyssey. Grr!

For anyone who's read this far: The Mobsters are awesome. Rode them up Mormon, Down national, up/down Javelina and they're a substantial improvement over the W T B. Stickier and much, better traction. Strong recommendation. They'll be getting a workout in Globe on Sunday.

p.

Members who have read this thread: 0