mtbr member

what's your "Q-factor" ?

Was getting a fit on my new MTB last week (Cyclologic) The lead fit Guru was not happy with the Q-Factor on my XX1 cranks (168MM) I reordered 156's.

He made a point to tell me how fat bikes are going to cause repetitive motion injuries, due to exceedingly wide Q-factors on fat bikes. 199-222MM wide.

Bike fit never ceases to amaze me.

Seat width is another one thats changing all the time. Two years ago, they changed all my bikes from 143MM, which is stock on most bike to 155MM.

Now, 168MM is the "new 155" wider platform, less pressure.

Interesting stuff.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

Pivotal figure
    My feet sit on my pedals and I ride fast and such.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    I agree with Ken. Go ride your bike. Your body will tell you if something is wrong. Even with SPDs your hips rock back and forth as you lean the bike, your feet angle in and out and your bike ebbs and flows underneath you. When I used to ride road bikes I focused a lot more on fit, specifically my feet and pedals, I was more concerned with stuff like q-factor because the bike tended to be much more static underneath me.
    AKA: G-wat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bugaroo View Post
    I agree with Ken. Go ride your bike. Your body will tell you if something is wrong. Even with SPDs your hips rock back and forth as you lean the bike, your feet angle in and out and your bike ebbs and flows underneath you. When I used to ride road bikes I focused a lot more on fit, specifically my feet and pedals, I was more concerned with stuff like q-factor because the bike tended to be much more static underneath me.

This was intended to add bike content to a failing forum. It seems the silliness of throwing hands, vaping (sp), literally dozens of tire threads with no purpose are what the forum cool kids want. So I agree talking of Q factors seems rather dry and overly technical.

But please carry on, I'm sure Mrwhlr or his spouse will continue to entertain the forum.

Shame, this used to be an interesting place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    This was intended to add bike content to a failing forum. It seems the silliness of throwing hands, vaping (sp), literally dozens of tire threads with no purpose are what the forum cool kids want. So I agree talking of Q factors seems rather dry and overly technical.

But please carry on, I'm sure Mrwhlr or his spouse will continue to entertain the forum.

Shame, this used to be an interesting place.
    Chipo... no worries.. bike fit doesn't matter for those that don't ride for more than 1 hour/10 miles ... So, I think your post is irrelevant to most that visit the Arizona forum..

Its an interesting post... thx for sharing...

My other ride is your mom
    What injures do you have that you are most concerned with? I got a bike fit because of IT Band issues and it's helped me keep them down....along with lots of stretching....lots of stretching. At the time q-factor was fine for me but I've not re-assessed my fit in perhaps 7 years.....been running with the same fit guidance since then and it's still working.

mtbr member
    The injuries Cyclologic was most concerned about was mostly for the extra-wide Q's on Fat bikes, which I don't own.

My issues were all my bikes are 156MM. Riding long, looonnngg days back to back, everything is an issue. The wider Q on my TD bike could have proved fatal and I would not even have know why. Just look how much changing seat height just 2-3MM can change knee discomfort.

So yes, as you say, using the same fit guidance across all my bikes is why the crank arms are being changed.

Steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    My feet sit on my pedals and I ride fast and such.
    Troll!

Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Meatbomb
    I've noticed that if I do too much riding on the road my shoulders start to ache from the static position. Same miles on the dirt = no issues. I think Bike Fit is much more important for the roadies.

dirt visionary
    or dirt roadies
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

parenting for gnarness
    Its an interesting thought in regard to fatbikes, as I do feel my legs\knees positioned just a bit differently. But I don't think I'd get hyped about it until it starts to happen. You could also get a fat bike fit. My fat riding is mostly in sand where I'm mashing so hard the least of my worries is an extra 20mm spread to my legs.

so what tires did he recommend?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'll bite....

My bikes are mixed. 156Q/170mm on my SS, 168Q/170mm on my other MTB's. 160mm Cobb crankset on my road bike and I think the Q is "standard" 168 but can't find the info on their website.
    I'm 5'2" and have short legs. Started developing knee pain a couple years ago and switched form 175mm to 170mm on all my MTB's. Knee pain quickly went away. I think the crank length is more important than the Q-factor and definitely more important on the road bike than MTB.

mtbr member
    Not sure what Q factor is but one of my knees wouldn't have given me so much grief if I'd had the seat height correct.
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sloonz View Post
    I'll bite....

My bikes are mixed. 156Q/170mm on my SS, 168Q/170mm on my other MTB's. 160mm Cobb crankset on my road bike and I think the Q is "standard" 168 but can't find the info on their website.
    I'm 5'2" and have short legs. Started developing knee pain a couple years ago and switched form 175mm to 170mm on all my MTB's. Knee pain quickly went away. I think the crank length is more important than the Q-factor and definitely more important on the road bike than MTB.
    All three of my bikes are now 156mm Q and 170mm long. The shorter cranks are great for your hips as well as your knees.

Always in the wrong gear
    My SS has a 156Q x175mm. But I've also used pedal washers to increase my foot spacing. Something that was recommended by my fitter. Mainly to increase cornering confidence a biT.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS

Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Over thinking sh#t always works out best for me

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Over thinking sh#t always works out best for me
    Me thinks this only applies to Anorexic, shaved legs in Clipless pedals. Flat pedals need not apply.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    hey i shave my legs cause i like the way it looks and feels,, i could give a flying crap about queef-factor efficiency. i'm out there there expecting to get a workout

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So what oil do you guys use when Roman Greco wrestling with your buddies out in the wilderness?

mtbr member
    Im not sure what my Q is on my Scalpel. I think its 168. But i have big feet and run Speedplay pedals. I had bad knee pain after longer and repetitive riding. I got 15mm pedal spacers. they are steel and heavy as hell. I know they make Ti ones but im not paying that much for Ti bling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I've noticed that if I do too much riding on the road my shoulders start to ache from the static position. Same miles on the dirt = no issues. I think Bike Fit is much more important for the roadies.
    I totally agree. I have found the same experience, but I will say that bike fit impacts handling on a mtn bike more than "comfort"
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    What injures do you have that you are most concerned with? I got a bike fit because of IT Band issues and it's helped me keep them down....along with lots of stretching....lots of stretching. At the time q-factor was fine for me but I've not re-assessed my fit in perhaps 7 years.....been running with the same fit guidance since then and it's still working.
    + 1
    I focused on fit after developing long ride overuse injuries. It helped for sure, but going to the gym to develop my weak hips and lots of stretching and rolling at the end of the day is what made the pain go away for real.

I can't say for sure, but the injury I developed would have likely happened regardless of the fit changes I made. My guess is the main problem was riding my brains out, then sitting in an office chair all day. I stand more and take lots of walks, and exercise during lunch breaks. I also have a more clear goal in mind when going to the gym other than filling out my pecs, and adding some meat to my skinny frame in the case I need to throw hands.

I had pretty much written off MTB rides more than 50 miles things got so uncomfortable, but taking a whole view of the problem including fit, what I'm doing off the bike, flexibility, gym stuff, seems to have made the pain go away.

I started seeing people riding long distances on fat bikes I did occur to me that injuries may be likely due to the different riding style and width.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippin jimmy View Post
    Do you even vape bro?
    I've been saving some dried chamois butter crumbs from my lycra (I NEVER wash them, BTW) and fermenting the stuff in vape solution. It really helps me focus on the DH and opens the lungs when climbing.

mtbr member
    Do you even vape bro?
    I ride…period.

My other ride is your mom
    Wow your witty bro,
    And your dumbest!!!

mtbr member
    My Q facto has been 225mm for over a year, and no problems. I think fit is more important than width.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    hey i shave my legs cause i like the way it looks and feels,, i could give a flying crap about queef-factor efficiency. i'm out there there expecting to get a workout
    I think it feels really nice too big boy.

Do you like wrestling?

Meatbomb
    I have no clue what my Q factor is.. In fact I'm not even sure I have one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I have no clue what my Q factor is.. In fact I'm not even sure I have one.
    Name:  q.png
Views: 387
Size:  36.6 KB

You learned something today on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Interesting. Now it makes sense how it might be awkward to pedal a fat bike. At first atleast.
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darth biker View Post
    Interesting. Now it makes sense how it might be awkward to pedal a fat bike. At first atleast.
    225mm is 8.86 inches. 156mm is 6.14 inches. Thats a monumental difference in stance.

Go lower or raise your seat 2-1/2 inches.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wonder what the sweet spot (range) is for Q factor,seems like the same type of knee problems trail runners experience when running downhill.