What's National Like?- Mtbr.com
    Ouch, I am hot!

What's National Like?

I live blocks away from T100, so about 90% of my riding has been there. I have been to the S. Mtn area only 4 times and have never done National. Ok, I am a putz. How does it compare to Porcupine Rim in Moab? Sunset in Flagstaff? More technical, less? I liked Porc Rim alot, but liked Sovereign better. It was not as extreme as Porc, but it seemed made for biking. Maybe it was. I also enjoyed Sunset and plan to go up this summer again. With two little girls it is hard to justify traveling to ride when I have so much right here.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Occidental Tourist

old grey mare she ain't what she used to be

Maybe it's just me but when I rode Nat'la few weeks ago it seemed cleaner than the last time I rode it (at least the section down from where it meets mormon). Its still a ripping good time but I don't think it compares to anything you've described. Fairly technical, more so going up than coming down. Good sized steps both manmade and natural a few swichbacks. And the there is the waterfall....If you want the easy taste just go up morman and come down national. I reckon ya better just go find out - just go early cuz it gets busy out there. I'm planning on riding so mo in its entirety on sunday so if you want to tag along as long as you can take it (or keep up - i'm not super fast but I don't plan on lollygaggin too much) yer welcome to do so.

MFC
    mtbr member

Still kickin

Maybe I am crazy, but I still think National is the best trail around, period. I have ridden all the trails you mentioned, as well as all over the country and National is still my favorite trail. Maybe I am biased because it's my backyard trail, where 90% of my rides start or finish. But even after logging hundreds of rides on the trail, I still find a new line or some new challenge all the time.

mtbr member

National

I have to agree with the other posters. National really is not like any of the other trails that you mention and it has to be one of my favorites. I'm usually on it at least twice a week.
    I consider it technical trail riding. Going up is a tough climb, coming down is a blast.
    The bottom of Porc. Rim is similar in technical capacity but the surface is far more rocky on National.
    As with all trails, even if you don't like the trail it is still worth riding it once.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    i'd say more technical than sunset for sure. The "technical" sections of sunset are not very numerous, while national has a LOT more of them, roughly equally as hard. (maybe on the magnitude of 10 or 30x more, and the waterfall is easily more technical than anything that you'll find on sunset. Just think about that one little dropoff on sunset and where you have to go through the rock-garden and hit the right line, now think of doing that every few minutes. National is a blast, as are some of the other trails (there are trails that are dramatically harder than National on South Mountain), but it is really not like most other things.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MFC
    Maybe I am crazy, but I still think National is the best trail around, period. I have ridden all the trails you mentioned, as well as all over the country and National is still my favorite trail. Maybe I am biased because it's my backyard trail, where 90% of my rides start or finish. But even after logging hundreds of rides on the trail, I still find a new line or some new challenge all the time.
    Geronimo is my fav
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth