mtbr member
    Aug 2012

What's the Barn Burner like?

Toying with the idea of doing the Barn Burner this year. Whats the overall experience like?
    My kids ride nicer bikes than I do.

livin' the dream......
    My past experience has been good at BB. Ride in a large circle, drink beer with cool people, camp and then go home.

Course is described as a 'roadie' mtb course, meaning there is nothing too technical that the average rider can't deal with. There are two decent climbs, some flat sections to hammer on, and one two fun downhills.

Fun event.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

Black and Sticky
    Agree 100 % with tkjm. Some describe it as pretty boring, just going around in a big circle. For me it's a nice chance to get out of Phoenix and test how much fitness I've gained or lost over the summer. Last year they moved the venue to a place not so sloppy in case of rain. That was an improvement. As tkjm said, good opportunity to hang out with cool people.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It's fire road riding, so as TKJM said, a roadie type course. Nothing technically challenging to the course, but it is a good fitness litmus test and a good altitude test-ride (I live near Phoenix so altitude always kicks my butt). It's a good race to get out of the Phoenix heat, hang out, have good beer (usually Four Peaks), but if you're looking for a race that has some singletrack and technical challenges, then you will be very disappointed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks guys! I will be up there a couple of times over the summer - I guess I need to go pre-ride the route and see how it goes. Doubt I could pull off 100 at altitude right at the moment, so it seems like a good fitness motivator.

Is the camping just like impromptu at the race site, or is there a "campground" there?

Bob - Wish I still had one of the classic Broncos I owned (68, 72)!
    My kids ride nicer bikes than I do.

Black and Sticky
    The course winds around Kendrick Mountain. I'm sure you can track down the route from the BB internet site. Any of the roads in that area will give you an idea of what the course is like. There is camping at the venue. First come, first served if I remember right. Saw some RV's and tents, but also car camping.

Ah, another Broncoholic. Congrats on kicking that addiction! But it's nice when those old trucks get rescued from the junkyard. Mine is 74 with a very healthy 427. I have proved nothing is so screwed up that it can't be fixed by throwing money at it. Obviously my wife is very understanding

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    keep in mind that there is a lot of drafting going on in this race.. .yes, believe it or not.... drafting !...

So, be sure to take advantage of that and also realize your pre-ride will be slower than your race pace...

mtbr member
    THere is no need to pre-ride it. I am not even sure if you can, some of it may be a private land. Anyway, it's hard to get lost and there aren't any super techy sections to practice. The only thing that makes it fun is the race aspect in itself. That's a good way to get in to endurance riding as you have chance to bail every 25 miles.