What Tires For PHX area? Tubeless....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What Tires For PHX area? Tubeless....

I am planning on going tubeless on my Giant XTC 29er. I already have the Stan's Tubeless Kit to install. I want to get out of my Maxxis Aspens 2.1 that I am using (tubed). I'll keep the S-XC29 wheels though. I ride AM and mostly trails around South Mtn., Casa Grande, Usery Mtn., etc....

What's a good tubeless tire setup for front and rear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmap View Post
    I am planning on going tubeless on my Giant XTC 29er. I already have the Stan's Tubeless Kit to install. I want to get out of my Maxxis Aspens 2.1 that I am using (tubed). I'll keep the S-XC29 wheels though. I ride AM and mostly trails around South Mtn., Casa Grande, Usery Mtn., etc....

What's a good tubeless tire setup for front and rear?
    Spec Captain Control front, Fast Trak Grid on the rear. Been having great luck with this tire setup (hope did not jinx myself).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You're the 2nd person to mention the Captain. I haven't really looked at the Fast Trak Grid before though. I'll go check it out. Thanks.

Dirt Merchant
    We need to get a sticky for this subject. I think it comes up quarterly. Not hating on the subby, just an observation about this topic.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmap View Post
    You're the 2nd person to mention the Captain. I haven't really looked at the Fast Trak Grid before though. I'll go check it out. Thanks.
    The Grid is the heavier version with more beefier side walls. I wore the last one out with zero sidewall tears. Hoping to get the same with the second one that I put on last month. A tad expensive, but worth the cost if it survives PHX trails!

I went trendy with the Maxxis Ikon. I liked the weight savings but had mixed feelings on grip compared to the Fast Trak. But tore a gash in the tread after three weeks of riding. Then repaired the tear and then it got a huge bubble in under the tread in a different spot. Fortunately Cambria gave me full credit for it!!

Tons of tires available for 29ers now and you should get lots of opinions!

All That is Man
    For AM . . . Panaracer Rampage
    John

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Rampage or Ardent front and Fast Trak Grid on the back. I love the Fast Trak tread design. I tried the S-Works 2bliss version and it's just to light like the Maxxis Ikon. Great race tires but I don't want to chance the thin casing.

Ahhh the pain....
    Rampage front...if it's 1/2 worn out, it'll still grip great and weight only 720g's. (I weighed mine)
    I'm a big fan of the Michelin Wild Racer 2.1's on the rear. Universal Cycles has them for $30 (with $2.99 shipping) weight 700g's (actual weights are more like 690g) and work well in our conditions. I'm on my 3rd one and get right at about 750 miles out of each. Pretty tough sidewalls too. Hard to beat that price for a good tire.

mtbr member
    I've tried some different tires for here in the area trails like, White Tanks, McDowell, Sonoran, BCT and I am really liking the Slant 6's by Kenda. I use them on the front and rear of my 29er with stans and love them. Only complaint is that they take a while to seal with Stans. Usually takes me a whole evening of shaking and turning and then I still need one or two rides before they actually seal up and stop leaking (from both the bead and the sidewalls).
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ikon EXO EXC front and rear. They stick like glue and they are very durable. You should be able to find them for $55 or less. They may not roll as fast as schwalbes, but they stick like glue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Not sure how they would be for AM, but I LOVED my Geax Saguaros when I had my 29er.

Seemed like they would be durable enough for AM. I had the one in front mounted for low rolling resistance (forward?) and the back for traction (backward?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Not sure how they would be for AM, but I LOVED my Geax Saguaros when I had my 29er.

Seemed like they would be durable enough for AM. I had the one in front mounted for low rolling resistance (forward?) and the back for traction (backward?)
    Yeah, have them on my 26er and they do pretty well also!
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!