What are those...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

What are those...

...things called that you clamp a fork to? (and where do I get em?) I want to build a simple bike rack using those clamp thingies bolted to a 2x4 for the bed of my truck.

My recent trip to Globe reinforced the idea that hauling a large quantity of bikes to the top of a hill can be a pain in the butt, so my friend and I figure that we could bolt 4 of these clamp thingies to a 2x4, clamp it to the bed of the truck and have a way to haul 8 bikes to the top of the hill (4 facing forward, 4 facing backwards, staggared)

Tia!

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyinturbo
    ...things called that you clamp a fork to? (and where do I get em?) I want to build a simple bike rack using those clamp thingies bolted to a 2x4 for the bed of my truck.

My recent trip to Globe reinforced the idea that hauling a large quantity of bikes to the top of a hill can be a pain in the butt, so my friend and I figure that we could bolt 4 of these clamp thingies to a 2x4, clamp it to the bed of the truck and have a way to haul 8 bikes to the top of the hill (4 facing forward, 4 facing backwards, staggared)

Tia!
    I've always called 'em bovines but I have no idea why...Go to most any LBS and they'll have em...or try REI

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

fork "thingies"

Tia!
    I have a couple laying around here you can have, just add old skewers, (probably have some of those laying around, too). People with a 20mm thru-axle or Lefty will need a fork-upů

If you get near my way, they're yours.

CJ

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    This is probably what your looking for....

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=RA707A00

mtbr member
    Vise grips?

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Vise grips?
    or for a bad ass bike - vice grips?

Skinny legged XC geek

Check these out . . .

...My recent trip to Globe reinforced the idea that hauling a large quantity of bikes to the top of a hill can be a pain in the butt
    I actually saw these for the first time on a Globe trip. They are really cool, and can be used with extender kits to add more bikes. Plus, when you aren't hauling bikes, they don't get in the way. Highly recommended as the hot setup for pickups.

http://www.recrac.com/

Meatbomb
    REI has some real nice ones with locking scewers . I mounted a couple to the lower section of the toolbox in my truck bed and they work great ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the set-up you're talking about for my truck but I've only got 2 fork holders. Just a tip: If you're going to mount 4 on each 2x4, mount them at angles or else the bars will hit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks!

I'll probably head down to REI and check out their selection shortly. My buddy, Jeff has a crew cab, long bed F-350 ford that we are wanting to use for shuttle runs, so I am going to build a couple of bike holders that'll fit it and hold a bunch of bikes.

... whens the next Globe run again?!

Saucy Size
    I'll probably head down to REI and check out their selection shortly. My buddy, Jeff has a crew cab, long bed F-350 ford that we are wanting to use for shuttle runs, so I am going to build a couple of bike holders that'll fit it and hold a bunch of bikes.

... whens the next Globe run again?!
    You bunch of shuttle monkeys!

It's probably too hot to get all the way down the mountain these days. If you went REALLY early and hit Check Dam maybe before 10 or so you might not die.

Alt plan: Stage everything at the Ice House CCC campsite. Instead of dropping down Check Dam, you turn left at the sign and ride up to camp. It's at about 5000' so it's not so blistering as the lower desert.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    You bunch of shuttle monkeys!
    Hey, you started it.

It's probably too hot to get all the way down the mountain these days. If you went REALLY early and hit Check Dam maybe before 10 or so you might not die.

Alt plan: Stage everything at the Ice House CCC campsite. Instead of dropping down Check Dam, you turn left at the sign and ride up to camp. It's at about 5000' so it's not so blistering as the lower desert.

p.
    When are you going to organize the next one? (trail cleaning??) I am sure we'd have the F-350 prepped for shuttle runs by then. That and its big enough to hold 4 in the front and 4 in the back... if ya get close.

Saucy Size
    When are you going to organize the next one? (trail cleaning??) I am sure we'd have the F-350 prepped for shuttle runs by then. That and its big enough to hold 4 in the front and 4 in the back... if ya get close.
    An F350 crew is the perfect shuttle vehicle. It'd be my dream truck if it wasn't such a hydrocarbon disaster every time I ran out to shop for groceries.

Honestly I don't know when I'd do it again. This weekend is shot: Tour de Payson Saturday, Mother's Day Sunday. Following weekend is...something on Saturday (I forget). Weekend after that I'm running a tour from Flag to the South Rim. Weekend after that, it'll be 10,000 degrees (according to weather.com, plus or minus a couple thousand).

Really I was thinking I'd check the weather in June for a half-mountain run. When the monsoon season hits, the Pinals get plastered.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Members who have read this thread: 0